Did i buy the wrong soundcard?

o0k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I have the Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Speakers and the SoundBlaster Audigy Mp3 sound card.
My Middle speaker doesn't have sound coming out of it.
I know its not damage because i change the wires and made it like rear speaker to see if sound would come out and it does. Do i have the wrong soundcard, i can't get the middle speaker to ever work. I check the settings.. Clicking on AC3 Surround sound while watching dvd movies that have 5.1 . I mean its like 100bucks more for a stupid extra speaker that i can't use.
Am i doing something wrong? or did i buy the wrong soundcard? I told my dad to get the 4.1 version.. i told him...

"There is No Spoon"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, well, as for it being the wrong soundcard, Creative sux. As for your center speaker not working, well, if you're not at least getting dialogs through it during movies, somethings probably wrong in software.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

o0k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
So you think something is wrong with the settings of the software? Its not the soundcard? So my soundcard can give me 5.1 surround sound during movies? What should i do to get my center speaker to work? What about dvd software, the decoder is that responsible for anything with the sound?

"There is No Spoon"

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
nice speakers btw. :smile: i wouldnt be too dissapointed in klipsch 5.1s

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

o0k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
how do i enable virtual 5.1 in my creative software??
Are you talking about surroundmixer setting it to 5.1 speakers? Cause thats been done. Setting AC-3 decode also been done.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by o0k on 08/18/02 02:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

o0k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Yes i changed to 5.1 speakers, which one are you talking about?! Are you talking about Surround Mixer settings?

"There is No Spoon"

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
if i remember correctly, other than the mixer & equalizer, etc., there is a setting just labeled virtual 5.1
maybe thats just with the TBSC drivers, but i thought it was with the audigy too...

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
well, a bunch of Vortex 2 guys decided the Santa Cruiz was a reasonable alternative, probably sounds as good or better than the Creative card, and with better drivers.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I have the Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Speakers and the SoundBlaster Audigy Mp3 sound card.
My Middle speaker doesn't have sound coming out of it.
I have the same setup, center channel works fine. Make sure you configure the Speaker applet in AudioHQ for the 5.1 configuration. The center channel is only used in EAX games and in Dolby Digital or DTS movies. You won't hear it used when playing music or other stereo sources, unless you enable the CMSS mode in Playcenter. CMSS sucks, IMO, because it distorts the original stereo imaging.

The center channel's pretty cool. I'm playing Outcast (1999). It uses EAX and all conversations are anchored in the center speaker just like in movies!

Ritesh

o0k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
"Make sure you configure the Speaker applet in AudioHQ for the 5.1 configuration" Your talking about surroundmixer where you can test the speakers well for some reason today i do hear the center speaker during testing but when i put in the dvd movie which has 5.1 i don't hear the center speaker at all. The center speaker is like the voice of the movie. Instead the other 4speakers include the voice. Can it be my dvd decoder? I am using WinDVD which i got from my graphic card gainward. When i right click the movie to go to properties then to audio i see that it saids 2speakers and i can't click on 6speakers. AC-3 is check.

"There is No Spoon"

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Can it be my dvd decoder? I am using WinDVD which i got from my graphic card gainward. When i right click the movie to go to properties then to audio i see that it saids 2speakers and i can't click on 6speakers. AC-3 is check.
Yeah for some reason your WinDVD isn't decoding the 5.1 stream. It may be a limited version. You need to tell it to pass the audio stream to an external decoder. Is there a digital out option like SPDIF?

However, you should know that Creative's AC3 decoding is not as good as PowerDVD. I'm not sure about WinDVD but it's probably similar. Two minues ago I compared Star Trek VI using PowerDVD's built-in 5.1 decoder and Creative's AC-3 decoder. Creative's sounded much worse. So ideally, you want to turn *off* the AC-3 decoding in the Speaker applet and use WinDVD's decoder. However, it looks like you have a limited version that can't do it.

Ritesh

o0k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Well when i go to InterVideo WinDVD goto properties and i see 2speakers and i can't switch it to 6speakers but on the right side i see attributes under current audio track and it saids 5.1 dolby digital. I can click on S/PDIF output but i don't know what that does. So a dvd decoder can be my problem? But wait.... I have warcraft III.. doesn't that have like EAX enable sounds so my center speaker will work during dialogs. I don't hear my center speaker.

"There is No Spoon"

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I can click on S/PDIF output but i don't know what that does.
You need to click on that. Then Creative's AC-3 decoder will decode the audio.

But wait.... I have warcraft III.. doesn't that have like EAX enable sounds so my center speaker will work during dialogs. I don't hear my center speaker.
I don't have the game so I'm not sure, but EAX is probably only used within the game and not during the cinematics. If the center channel is used during cinematics, that means the audio is probably in AC-3 format and needs a decoder. The Audigy's decoder should work fine.

Ritesh

o0k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
I click on the S/PDIF output like you said and i'm watching gladiator with 5.1, its working great. Thanks Alot man.

"There is No Spoon"

TRENDING THREADS