Vintage Sony Mic Needs Repair C-38B

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 31, 2004 11:27:31 AM

Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
reissued) Sony C-38B repaired? I tried Korby but they said they don;t
fix them anymore, Stephen Paul is sadly RIP, so where is one to go?
ANy suggestions would be appreciated, thanks very much. BTW For those
that are fans of these cool mics, you should know that contrary to
popular opinion, Sony DOES still provide capsules for these mics (at
least they did about two years ago when I got mine from them).

Please email me at bluejensen@deletethispart@aol.com or post here.
Many thanks.

Kind Regards,
Black Egg Studios, Boston
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:41:10 PM

James <bluejensen@aol.com> wrote:
> Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
> reissued) Sony C-38B repaired? I tried Korby but they said they don;t
> fix them anymore, Stephen Paul is sadly RIP, so where is one to go?
> ANy suggestions would be appreciated, thanks very much. BTW For those
> that are fans of these cool mics, you should know that contrary to
> popular opinion, Sony DOES still provide capsules for these mics (at
> least they did about two years ago when I got mine from them).

> Please email me at bluejensen@deletethispart@aol.com or post here.
> Many thanks.

Check with Doug Walker. He is doing a lot of the old Neumann and AKG
mics for people in North America. I don't know if he does Sony mics,
but I don't see why not.

Rob R.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:26:11 PM

If the capsule is OK, what's the problem?

If the electronics need to be looked at, any good tech should be able to fix
the mic, assuming he has access to the schematic.
I don't remember the C38 being all that complicated when I saw the schemo...

JP

"James" <bluejensen@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
> reissued) Sony C-38B repaired? I tried Korby but they said they don;t
> fix them anymore, Stephen Paul is sadly RIP, so where is one to go?
> ANy suggestions would be appreciated, thanks very much. BTW For those
> that are fans of these cool mics, you should know that contrary to
> popular opinion, Sony DOES still provide capsules for these mics (at
> least they did about two years ago when I got mine from them).
>
> Please email me at bluejensen@deletethispart@aol.com or post here.
> Many thanks.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Black Egg Studios, Boston
Related resources
August 31, 2004 10:26:12 PM

> If the capsule is OK, what's the problem?
>
> If the electronics need to be looked at, any good tech should be able to fix
> the mic, assuming he has access to the schematic.
> I don't remember the C38 being all that complicated when I saw the schemo...

Is it OK? I don't know. Indeed that may be the case but I am not
qualified to work on it and there is always the possibility it is the
capsule even though its only a couple years old. It is rather
bizarre symptoms, working perfectly and then it went "dark" sounding
all of a sudden, lost its high end presence and also some output
level. DOes that sound like a capsule or something else? There is
no intermittence.

Thanks for the recommendation on Doug Walker in CA. I had heard he
was the guy on these old Sony mics and couldn't recall his name.

Thanks very much for the help.

> > Kind Regards,
> > Black Egg Studios, Boston
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 4:09:06 PM

Dan appears to have been correct about the switches just not their
location.... looks like they are inside the case....

Look here for the schematics.....

http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/schematics.html

Regards:
Eric
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 4:29:12 PM

I should have been more clear I suppose. The switch activator is the
knurled knob around the output cable, it's geared to the switch located
inside, the low pass is mounted on the circuit board.

Another source of problems with these mics is the electrolytic in the dc
to dc converter drying up. It's in the shielded case down at the bottom
of the mic.

Eric K. Weber wrote:
> Dan appears to have been correct about the switches just not their
> location.... looks like they are inside the case....
>
> Look here for the schematics.....
>
> http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/schematics.html
>
> Regards:
> Eric

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 1:54:04 AM

"James" <bluejensen@aol.com> wrote in message
> Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
> reissued) Sony C-38B repaired?

How about Sony factory service?

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

>Subject: Vintage Sony Mic Needs Repair C-38B
>From: bluejensen@aol.com (James)
>Date: 8/31/04 8:27 AM Mountain Daylight Time
>
>Any one on the group know where to get a vintage (not the recently
>reissued) Sony C-38B repaired? I tried Korby but they said they don;t
>fix them anymore, Stephen Paul is sadly RIP, so where is one to go?

Stephen Paul Audio is very much in business, but they are really backed up on
their repairs.
Tony Merrill has been doing the repairs for the last several years as Stephen's
Health problems kept him from the actual repair.
Richard H. Kuschel
September 7, 2004 12:43:52 AM

I have been away for a few days and haven't checked newsgroups.

Thanks to all for the very valuable suggestions.

I had checked all the famous and funky sony switches before posting so
i am hoping it is one of the simpler repairs mentioned by a few
others, a cap or something. Just to clarify, indeed the C-38B has the
funky mechanical pattern selector mounted behind the capsule, and the
multi switch located at the base of the mic, plus the two switches
"under the hood".

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the reissues? do they rate?
they certainly are pricey at $2200 although I guess they figure they
are competing against the U87.

BTW for those that are interested I think this is a fairly accurate
history of the mic from a recent review of the reissue by Barry
Rudolph:

"...the genesis for this mic goes back to 1965 with the original
C-38FET, the world's first Field Effect Transistor microphone and the
successor to the famed C-37A tube mic. The C-38 was then updated in
1969 (C-38A) with a windscreen design change, and again in 1971
(C-38B) with phantom powering (9-volt internal battery or external DC
24V to 48V). The mic was 'reintroduced' to the US market at the 2003
AES Show even though there are over 65,000 in use today."

kind regards and thanks again to all the rec.audio.pro gurus for all
the advice.
james
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 12:53:58 PM

In article <80b13414.0409061943.47a3b40d@posting.google.com> bluejensen@aol.com writes:

> Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the reissues? do they rate?

Like Barry Rudolph said in his Mix (I think) review, the C-38B never
went out of production in Japan other than the typical Sony thing
(which often starts "out of production" rumors) of turning production
off when they have enough in stock, and turning it back on when they
need more. It apparently didn't sell all that well in the US, so they
stopped selling it and 10 or so years ago introduced the C-800, which
uses the same capsule. That was one of those mics where a few people
raved about it but most were lukewarm about it and it was frightfully
expensive, particularly the Peltier-cooled version.

I guess that with the interest in high grade/priced mics in the US,
they decided to ship some C-38Bs over here and send out a press
release to see if its time has come around yet.

September 7, 2004 1:05:43 PM

> In article <80b13414.0409061943.47a3b40d@posting.google.com>
bluejensen@aol.com writes:

> > Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the reissues? do they rate?
>
> Like Barry Rudolph said in his Mix (I think) review, the C-38B never
> went out of production in Japan other than the typical Sony thing
> (which often starts "out of production" rumors) of turning production
> off when they have enough in stock, and turning it back on when they
> need more. It apparently didn't sell all that well in the US, so they
> stopped selling it and 10 or so years ago introduced the C-800, which
> uses the same capsule. That was one of those mics where a few people
> raved about it but most were lukewarm about it and it was frightfully
> expensive, particularly the Peltier-cooled version.
>
> I guess that with the interest in high grade/priced mics in the US,
> they decided to ship some C-38Bs over here and send out a press
> release to see if its time has come around yet.

Back in the early 70's I bought a brand new pair of Sony C-37 mics. They had
the screw driver (a little green handle screw driver was included in the
carrying case) hole on the back of the grill to change the pattern.
They were not tube mics but fets and used 48
volt phantom power with no internal battery. When I quit recording in 1980,
I gave these mics to a relative who recently sold them on EBay for $1200.00.
Just my 2 cents

Geoley
September 7, 2004 3:21:46 PM

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1094554357k@trad>...

> I guess that with the interest in high grade/priced mics in the US,
> they decided to ship some C-38Bs over here and send out a press
> release to see if its time has come around yet.

ah... interesting info thanks mike, so they should be exactly the same
mic, i wonder how they are selling? and no wonder the capsules are
still available.

i wonder how these differ from the c-48, which I find to be "very
nice" but a little lack luster. Same/similar capsule?

cheers, and thanks again for your repair advice.
james
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 10:52:31 PM

James wrote:
> mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1094554357k@trad>...
>

>>I guess that with the interest in high grade/priced mics in the US,
>>they decided to ship some C-38Bs over here and send out a press
>>release to see if its time has come around yet.
>

> ah... interesting info thanks mike, so they should be exactly the same
> mic, i wonder how they are selling? and no wonder the capsules are
> still available.
>
> i wonder how these differ from the c-48, which I find to be "very
> nice" but a little lack luster. Same/similar capsule?
>
> cheers, and thanks again for your repair advice.
> james

Just to butt in for a moment...
We have a C38B here and have been using it lately on
kick drum much in the same way that lot of folks use a
47FET. It sounds really good in that application. Nice
on bass amp and vocals also. A really nice all around
microphone. However, not worth the 2K that they're
asking for the new ones IMHO.

As for repairing yours, my guess is that it's probably
an electronic issue as opposed to a diaphram problem.
Any decent tech could probably find the offending component.

John Noll
Anonymous
October 7, 2009 1:20:28 AM

i have a c37 that i would like to pair up with a c37 or c38. any ideas.
my email is a6620@netzero.net

regards - jay
January 13, 2011 5:24:07 PM

James
Did you contact Steve at Sonic Circus?
He's on the East coast near you I'm sure,
Very knowledgeable and extremely pleasant to work with.
By the way, do you have the voltage rating for the dc converter
( in should be 9 volts but I don't know the output side) as I'm
having a serious gain issue with my C38B.
regards,
Gary
!