Boiling point ?

Last response: in Video Games
May 22, 2005 5:50:03 PM

I heard it's out. How is it ?

-Moa Dragon

More about : boiling point

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 6:35:02 PM

Mils Michael wrote:

> I heard it's out. How is it ?

There is already a thread about this game:
<428f01b6$0$291$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>

Dennis
May 23, 2005 3:17:51 AM

Far Cry meets Operation Flashpoint, with the Jungle mission from Hitman 2
rolled up into a single game.

It's a solid B+ title. It is not as good (polished is probably a fair
descriptive) as Far Cry or as good as Opflash, but it has many similar
elements. If you enjoyed these titles you will probably like Boiling point.
But it does have some rough edges and could use some bug fixes for various
minor issues.

"Mils Michael" <mickmils@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 6prb1$5k6$1@news.tiscali.fr...
>I heard it's out. How is it ?
>
> -Moa Dragon

May 23, 2005 4:30:58 PM

shanec wrote:
> Far Cry meets Operation Flashpoint, with the Jungle mission from Hitman 2
> rolled up into a single game.
>
> It's a solid B+ title. It is not as good (polished is probably a fair
> descriptive) as Far Cry or as good as Opflash, but it has many similar
> elements. If you enjoyed these titles you will probably like Boiling point.
> But it does have some rough edges and could use some bug fixes for various
> minor issues.

What various minor issues? Could you list them as I want to be sure that
what is minor for you isn't major for me.

thanks,
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 4:31:45 PM

John Lewis wrote:

> You still have not listed for me ANY recent PC games that
> you actually own, despite my repeated requests.
> Are you dyslexic ?

Please. Stop. Replying. To. This. Idiot.
May 23, 2005 7:28:08 PM

Mils Michael wrote:
> I heard it's out. How is it ?

I should get mine tomorrow but there is something quite a promising
piece of a review:

http://www.boiling-point.net/

Thanks to GiftJohnny for letting us know that gaminghq.de have
published a review of Boiling Point giving it a rather respectable 88%

Here is a translation of the final paragraph:

"The first several hours I was glued to the screen. But I had to
realize in the first few minutes that the graphics are not up to the
standard of todays games. It is bearable if you take into account that
there are no loading times throughout the whole game. In spite of the
fact that you have to drive around a lot, the handling of the cars is
not very good but you get used to it. The unique environment, the many
means to interact with it and the fact that all of your actions have
consequences for the development of the game are truly fascinating. I
was a bit upset about every tenth NPC looks the same. That aside,fans
of action and RPG games should take a closer look."

Graphics: 84 %
Sound: 86 %
Controlls: 85 %
Gameplay: 93 %
Game design: 89 %
Scope: 91 %
Total: 88 %
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:32:32 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 12:31:45 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>>
>> You still have not listed for me ANY recent PC games that
>> you actually own, despite my repeated requests.
>> Are you dyslexic ?
>>

>Please. Stop. Replying. To. This. Idiot.

Ja... 3 bags full, Mein Herr...

John Lewis
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 9:04:54 PM

The game runs well on my Athlon 3200XP, ATI 9800 Pro, 1GIG-based
system at 1024 x 768 but I get terrible motion sickness after a few
minutes (I think it's driving around in the vehicles that does this).
Other than that it seems like a really decent, fairly unusual "free
form" type of game that tries to do something a little different. I
hope it becomes a best seller. We need more successful PC-only type
games to bring new life & blood to the genre and keep it competitive &
healthy.

-worm

"Stone Age, here I come!" -- Mrs. Hilyard, LADY IN A CAGE
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:38:54 PM

Walter Mitty wrote:
> shanec wrote:
>
>> Far Cry meets Operation Flashpoint, with the Jungle mission from
>> Hitman 2 rolled up into a single game.
>>
>> It's a solid B+ title. It is not as good (polished is probably a
>> fair descriptive) as Far Cry or as good as Opflash, but it has many
>> similar elements. If you enjoyed these titles you will probably like
>> Boiling point. But it does have some rough edges and could use some
>> bug fixes for various minor issues.
>>
> What various minor issues? Could you list them as I want to be sure that
> what is minor for you isn't major for me.

Played for about half an hour, it feels like a sophisticated version of
Postal 2. Very rough graphics, paricuarly on the characters, the vehicle
handling is horrible, bad voice acting ... but the scope of the game
could make up for this.

Couple of bugs I've spotted so far -

Mans briefcase floating along behind him,

Left my car at the top of a slope, it inched its way down, touched a
pedestrian and killed him,
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:27:49 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:38:54 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:

>Walter Mitty wrote:
>> shanec wrote:
>>
>>> Far Cry meets Operation Flashpoint, with the Jungle mission from
>>> Hitman 2 rolled up into a single game.
>>>
>>> It's a solid B+ title. It is not as good (polished is probably a
>>> fair descriptive) as Far Cry or as good as Opflash, but it has many
>>> similar elements. If you enjoyed these titles you will probably like
>>> Boiling point. But it does have some rough edges and could use some
>>> bug fixes for various minor issues.
>>>
>> What various minor issues? Could you list them as I want to be sure that
>> what is minor for you isn't major for me.
>
>Played for about half an hour, it feels like a sophisticated version of
>Postal 2. Very rough graphics, paricuarly on the characters, the vehicle
>handling is horrible, bad voice acting ... but the scope of the game
>could make up for this.
>
>Couple of bugs I've spotted so far -
>
>Mans briefcase floating along behind him,
>
>Left my car at the top of a slope, it inched its way down, touched a
>pedestrian and killed him,

I always thought bull bars were dangerous! :-)
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 12:19:38 AM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 12:31:45 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>You still have not listed for me ANY recent PC games that
>>>you actually own, despite my repeated requests.
>>> Are you dyslexic ?
>>>

>>Please. Stop. Replying. To. This. Idiot.
>

> Ja... 3 bags full, Mein Herr...

Why do you keep doing it? I might not agree with your Steam standpoint,
but you're not a complete idiot.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 3:47:01 AM

Memnoch wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:38:54 +0100, Jamie_Manic <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote:
>

>>Walter Mitty wrote:

>>>What various minor issues? Could you list them as I want to be sure that
>>>what is minor for you isn't major for me.
>>
>>Played for about half an hour, it feels like a sophisticated version of
>>Postal 2. Very rough graphics, paricuarly on the characters, the vehicle
>>handling is horrible, bad voice acting ... but the scope of the game
>>could make up for this.
>>
>>Couple of bugs I've spotted so far -
>>
>>Mans briefcase floating along behind him,
>>
>>Left my car at the top of a slope, it inched its way down, touched a
>>pedestrian and killed him,
>

> I always thought bull bars were dangerous! :-)

GRR!! I just got in my car, there was a mafia guy stood in front of it,
getting into the car seemed to 'activate' it in some way as the guy died
instantly resulting in me being attacked from all angles.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:57:17 AM

x-no-archive: yes

John Lewis wrote:

> You still have not listed for me ANY recent PC games that
> you actually own, despite my repeated requests.

ok! ok!
its obvious this is damaging pc games and taking away the
focus from the REAL issues so i'll tell what titles i've
bought so we can get over it
now first let me leave some notes before people flame me
1. yes they are all budget pc games but that doesn't mean
i don't buy full price just released titles and i do but
in may i didn't happen
2. yes it features pc games from publishers i am against
microsof has been damaging pc games by promoting consoles
and ea has been trying to take over ubisoft which is very
wrong and shows their greedy monopolistic intentions but
in either examples i don't think i should boycott their
games but rather complain about their actions
3. finally my most controversial choice... i already had
it but an older edition and i decided to buy it for three
reasons, first it will no longer be available after this
summer so this way i'll keep a copy specially cause i'm
also a collector, second although its from them it hasn't
any abusive or intrusive technologies and last its my way
of celebrating, yes it was a victory vivendi deciding to
stop selling their game so to celebrate i decided to buy it

.. starlancer (xplosiv)
.. freelancer (xplosiv)
.. need for speed underground (ea classics)
.. half-life (best seller)

as i always do all of them are english european editions in
standard dvd type packaged box cd-rom media

hope i will not be bothered again with this issue...

now that this is behind... let go back to the real and
important issues in pc games!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

x-no-archive: yes

Wormwood wrote:

> The game runs well on my Athlon 3200XP, ATI 9800 Pro,
> 1GIG-based system at 1024 x 768 but I get terrible motion
> sickness after a few minutes (I think it's driving around
> in the vehicles that does this). Other than that it seems
> like a really decent, fairly unusual "free form" type of
> game that tries to do something a little different. I
> hope it becomes a best seller. We need more successful
> PC-only type games to bring new life & blood to the genre
> and keep it competitive & healthy.

great post!
another true pc gamer amoung us!
glad you set it clear to all the consolist retards about ati
radeon 9800 pro being a great graphic card and no need to do
any upgrade at all even in JUST RELEASED PC GAMES!
and yes supporting pc games and specially pc games original
and exclusive titles like boiling point is the way to go!
please stay in this group you are very COOL!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 6:04:32 PM

On 24 May 2005 03:03:09 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>great post!
>another true pc gamer amoung us!
>glad you set it clear to all the consolist retards about ati
>radeon 9800 pro being a great graphic card and no need to do
>any upgrade at all even in JUST RELEASED PC GAMES!

Hold on there, chief. After having played the game at HIGH detail
settings, I found myself blown away by how beautiful it is (almost Far
Cry Levels) and only wish I had a more powerful video card than my
aging ATI 9800 Pro (which just barely plays Doom 3 at acceptable frame
rates at 1024 X 768 at high settings). Now I have to go back to the
uglier "normal" graphics settings because the game chugs at 1024 X 768
at anything higher than this. I'm afraid the 9800 Pro is no longer
the optimal choice if you want to play the latest PC games with all
the eye candy ON. "Boiling Point" so far is a beautiful, unusual game
that I may be becoming addicted to (right now in the very early stages
I have to figure out how to get some petrol for my vehicle) but I
really REALLY wish I had a better card so I could really crank those
detail settings. I hope it becomes the "Morrowwind" of the
"mercenary"-type FPSs. I'd love to find a tweak guide for BP to get
the most out of older ATI Radeon cards.

-worm

"Stone Age, here I come!" -- Mrs. Hilyard, LADY IN A CAGE
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:43:08 AM

Wormwood wrote:
> On 24 May 2005 03:03:09 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>great post!
>>another true pc gamer amoung us!
>>glad you set it clear to all the consolist retards about ati
>>radeon 9800 pro being a great graphic card and no need to do
>>any upgrade at all even in JUST RELEASED PC GAMES!
>

> Hold on there, chief. After having played the game at HIGH detail
> settings, I found myself blown away by how beautiful it is (almost Far
> Cry Levels)

I have it maxxed out at 12x10 and sorry, but to say that it is almost at
Far Cry level is an absolute joke.
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 4:52:42 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Wormwood wrote:

<snip>

its natural radeon 9800 pro not being able to run a just
released game with everything on in the highest resolution

the issue is not you not being able to play the game with
high quality but instead wanting to have everything turn
to the max when playing it... what can i say to you?

you can have a meal for 5 bucks but you can also find one
for 500 bucks...
so you want to eat a 500 bucks meal... if you have the cash
who am i to deny it... go ahead

i personally am very happy with my 5 bucks meal... no need
for more

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:30:01 PM

On 25 May 2005 00:52:42 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>its natural radeon 9800 pro not being able to run a just
>released game with everything on in the highest resolution
>
>the issue is not you not being able to play the game with
>high quality but instead wanting to have everything turn
>to the max when playing it... what can i say to you?
>
>you can have a meal for 5 bucks but you can also find one
>for 500 bucks...
>so you want to eat a 500 bucks meal... if you have the cash
>who am i to deny it... go ahead

The ATI 9800 Pro starts a'chuggin' with Boiling Point at just the HIGH
detail settings, let alone the VERY HIGH graphics settings, and this
at a lousey 1024 X 768. Unless people get a good deal on this, I
don't recommend the 9800 Pro for those looking to even the immediate
future who want to play at max settings for every new game beyond 1024
X 768. For the casual gamer, it's probably fine though. I feel sorry
for those with flat-panel monitors stuck at a native resolution of
1024 X 1280 (my favorite resolution) who use this card & want to play
newer, graphics-intensive games. They'll have to really swallow the
jaggies with some of the newer PC game releases.

-worm

"Stone Age, here I come!" -- Mrs. Hilyard, LADY IN A CAGE
May 25, 2005 3:30:23 PM

On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:50:03 +0200, "Mils Michael"
<mickmils@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I heard it's out. How is it ?

Eurogamer have a review up:
http://195.157.98.220/article.php?article_id=59379

I think I will wait for a patch or two before buying it.
May 25, 2005 6:29:27 PM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:52:36 +0200,
> For the same game-play reasons as you, I pre-ordered it here in the
> US. I, like you, may have a "very mixed experience" with the game,
> but at least a small portion of my money will have gone to a
> good-cause --- rewarding an adventurous small developer.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Me too.

I have
> been informed that the Atari US release has been delayed by about
> a week to the end of May--- maybe working a quick patch for the US
> market ? In which case there may be some further delay....Or just on a
> slow Atari boat from the UK?
>
> FYI: Terra Nova, Thief 1 & 2, System Shock 1 & 2, Deus Ex are all
> treasured items in my collection of PC games for exactly the reasons
> you outlined above...innovatively different and exciting first-person
> games.

Heh, I could have wrote that myself but how about Underworlds? At the
time (*sigh*) UW1 just blew my mind away!
May 25, 2005 6:53:41 PM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:52:36 +0200,
> For the same game-play reasons as you, I pre-ordered it here in the
> US. I, like you, may have a "very mixed experience" with the game,
> but at least a small portion of my money will have gone to a
> good-cause --- rewarding an adventurous small developer. I have
> been informed that the Atari US release has been delayed by about
> a week to the end of May--- maybe working a quick patch for the US
> market ?

Good news concerning the patch: http://www.rpgdot.com/#38977
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:11:02 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Wormwood wrote:

<snip>

only a couple of comments about what you wrote...

first i have never played a pc game with a screen resolution
higher than 800x600 and most of the times i use 640x480 and
for me its fine no need for more

second lcd are not the best choice for pc games and are still
at least two times more expensive than crt so why would you
choose it to play pc games?

for me ati radeon 9800 pro is still an excellent choice but if
i had the cash i would rather buy now a nividia 6600gt instead
which is almost the same price

owner of the 9800 pro should feel happy for what they have but
new buyers have better choices now, but thats natural and very
healthy for the market

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:13:44 AM

"mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Heh, I could have wrote that myself but how about Underworlds? At the
> time (*sigh*) UW1 just blew my mind away!

Oh, absolutely. Ultima 7 was mindblowing too, and it had a plethora of bugs
:)
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:22:25 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Andrew wrote:

> I think I will wait for a patch or two before buying it.

you are really something...
so this time its the patch excuse... i though you being the
"demo man" you would instead use the "demo" excuse
one thing for sure "demo man"... no one like you plays as
many demos and buys less pc games... in that field you're
simply the best

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:44:30 AM

On 25 May 2005 14:29:27 -0700, "mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:52:36 +0200,
>> For the same game-play reasons as you, I pre-ordered it here in the
>> US. I, like you, may have a "very mixed experience" with the game,
>> but at least a small portion of my money will have gone to a
>> good-cause --- rewarding an adventurous small developer.
>
>ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Me too.
>
> I have
>> been informed that the Atari US release has been delayed by about
>> a week to the end of May--- maybe working a quick patch for the US
>> market ? In which case there may be some further delay....Or just on a
>> slow Atari boat from the UK?
>>
>> FYI: Terra Nova, Thief 1 & 2, System Shock 1 & 2, Deus Ex are all
>> treasured items in my collection of PC games for exactly the reasons
>> you outlined above...innovatively different and exciting first-person
>> games.
>
>Heh, I could have wrote that myself but how about Underworlds? At the
>time (*sigh*) UW1 just blew my mind away!

Now, let me blow the dust off... Ah here is Ultima Underworld: the
Stygian Abyss and Ultima Underworld II:Labyrinth of Worlds. And
my DOS/Win95/98/Me multi-boot machine. And over in this corner
here are Amiga versions of Faery Tale Adventure, Dungeon Master
and Chaos Stikes back. And here on this table is an Amiga 500
and an Amiga 1080 monitor.... :-) :-) :-)

John Lewis

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:25:42 AM

steamKILLER wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Andrew wrote:
>
> > I think I will wait for a patch or two before buying it.
>
> you are really something...
> so this time its the patch excuse... i though you being the
> "demo man" you would instead use the "demo" excuse
> one thing for sure "demo man"... no one like you plays as
> many demos and buys less pc games... in that field you're
> simply the best

Is there a demo? I'd like to see how big these problems really are.
Maybe it is worth buying now and patching now?
May 26, 2005 11:19:13 AM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:52:36 +0200, "Alfred Pum"
<mooskugerl@DELETEgmx.at> wrote:

>It's definitely yet another "too early" release. OTOH, it's also one of the
>most ambitious projects I've seen in the last couple of years. Think of a
>mix of Deus Ex, GTA, Gothic2, Morrowind and Far Cry and you've got Boiling
>Point. Only it's its own thing and not a cheap copy.

<snip>

Great post, thanks for taking the time to write it :-)
May 26, 2005 11:44:46 AM

Quoth The Raven "Alfred Pum"<mooskugerl@DELETEgmx.at> in
d72dso$fhr$1@paperboy.si.eunet.at
> I liked what I saw in those few hours a lot. Just for laughs I got
> drunk in a bar, chatting up some old fellow, who must have been in
> every war since the first big one, lol. When my vision was just a
> blur I thought that I've had enough booze for one evening, so I said
> goodbye to Rambo's granddad and left the bar. I tried to would be
> more correct to say, because it sure took me some time and quite a
> few failed attempts to walk in a straight line. If you've got a broad
> street all for yourself you're making good headway shambling from on
> side to the other, though :)
>
> Wounds and addictions (booze and drugs) can be healed in the local
> hospital. You receive locational damage, so if you get a bullet in
> the leg, or jump from a building :)  you will start to increasingly
> limp. Damage to the upper limbs will affect your aiming, headshots
> are lethal. The hospital is also th e place where you "respawn" if
> you bit the dust. Or grass. Or were minced up by the piranhas living
> in the rivers. Snakebites, Jaguars dropping from trees to pounce on
> the unwary from behind (their growling gives them away), you dropping
> from too high a building - the mortality rate is at an all time high
> in Realia. Never mind the 6 factions vieing for your services and
> duking it out with each other in the dense jungles off the roads.
>
> Speaking of roads, I also drove around some in a stolen humvee-like
> vehicle - no mouselook needed here, apart from armed vehicles where
> you can aim your onboard weapons with your mouse. Admittedly the
> controls are a bit clunky but I managed to wipe out some kind of
> mafia road block just by driving over nearly all of the gangsters in
> a handful of neatly executed attack runs, if I might say so. After I
> had to abandon my shot-up humvee, I didn't live through the ensuing
> firefight with the 2 or 3 remaining mafiosi, though. He! Hello
> doctor, here I come - again.
>
> Skills and attributes increase by using them, similar to Morrowind.
> Haul some heavy stuff around and your strength will go up. As will
> your sleepiness, of course. You'll either have to take nap now and
> then (or rent a room at the motel), or you'll have to suffer the
> consequences. Drugs help, too. Hunt the local wildlife/lowlifes and
> your shots will become more accurate. Tinker with your weapons by
> upgrading them and your technical skill will soar. Boiling Point is
> an RPG, make no mistake.

are you taking the piss? is the game realy this expansive?

--
If the shoe fits, get another one just like it. - George Carlin

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:44:47 AM

"Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> are you taking the piss? is the game realy this expansive?

As Andrew already posted, this is Eurogamers review:

http://195.157.98.220/article.php?article_id=59379

They nail it pretty close, I think.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:44:47 AM

>> Skills and attributes increase by using them, similar to Morrowind.
>> Haul some heavy stuff around and your strength will go up. As will
>> your sleepiness, of course. You'll either have to take nap now and
>> then (or rent a room at the motel), or you'll have to suffer the
>> consequences. Drugs help, too. Hunt the local wildlife/lowlifes and
>> your shots will become more accurate. Tinker with your weapons by
>> upgrading them and your technical skill will soar. Boiling Point is
>> an RPG, make no mistake.
>
> are you taking the piss? is the game realy this expansive?
>
> --

I'm (in the game!) currently an alcoholic! I've spent nearly all my starting
cash on tequila, salt and lime. I'm just messing around before starting the
game proper like.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:44:47 AM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 07:44:46 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "Alfred Pum"<mooskugerl@DELETEgmx.at> in
>d72dso$fhr$1@paperboy.si.eunet.at
>> I liked what I saw in those few hours a lot. Just for laughs I got
>> drunk in a bar, chatting up some old fellow, who must have been in
>> every war since the first big one, lol. When my vision was just a
>> blur I thought that I've had enough booze for one evening, so I said
>> goodbye to Rambo's granddad and left the bar. I tried to would be
>> more correct to say, because it sure took me some time and quite a
>> few failed attempts to walk in a straight line. If you've got a broad
>> street all for yourself you're making good headway shambling from on
>> side to the other, though :)
>>
>> Wounds and addictions (booze and drugs) can be healed in the local
>> hospital. You receive locational damage, so if you get a bullet in
>> the leg, or jump from a building :)  you will start to increasingly
>> limp. Damage to the upper limbs will affect your aiming, headshots
>> are lethal. The hospital is also th e place where you "respawn" if
>> you bit the dust. Or grass. Or were minced up by the piranhas living
>> in the rivers. Snakebites, Jaguars dropping from trees to pounce on
>> the unwary from behind (their growling gives them away), you dropping
>> from too high a building - the mortality rate is at an all time high
>> in Realia. Never mind the 6 factions vieing for your services and
>> duking it out with each other in the dense jungles off the roads.
>>
>> Speaking of roads, I also drove around some in a stolen humvee-like
>> vehicle - no mouselook needed here, apart from armed vehicles where
>> you can aim your onboard weapons with your mouse. Admittedly the
>> controls are a bit clunky but I managed to wipe out some kind of
>> mafia road block just by driving over nearly all of the gangsters in
>> a handful of neatly executed attack runs, if I might say so. After I
>> had to abandon my shot-up humvee, I didn't live through the ensuing
>> firefight with the 2 or 3 remaining mafiosi, though. He! Hello
>> doctor, here I come - again.
>>
>> Skills and attributes increase by using them, similar to Morrowind.
>> Haul some heavy stuff around and your strength will go up. As will
>> your sleepiness, of course. You'll either have to take nap now and
>> then (or rent a room at the motel), or you'll have to suffer the
>> consequences. Drugs help, too. Hunt the local wildlife/lowlifes and
>> your shots will become more accurate. Tinker with your weapons by
>> upgrading them and your technical skill will soar. Boiling Point is
>> an RPG, make no mistake.
>
>are you taking the piss? is the game realy this expansive?

Apparently so, please see www.boiling-point.net. A gem in the making
given sufficient customer-support. Atari needs to see revenue to
realise what they really have and the developer needs the revenue to
finance the updates.... they are not an Id nor a Valve, just a small
Ukranian developer. Thus, it does have some rough edges and needs all
our $$ help to remove the worst of them. If you believe in supporting
either rpg or action GAME INNOVATION ( and not the latest
more-of-the-same gameplay with fancier graphics), please, please do
not pirate this particular game.... Of course, you are totally free to
hold off making any purchasing decision until after the initial
bug-fixes, if any. However, there is a Catch22; the fear that what
happened to Tribes: Vengeance could happen to this game.....Initial
sales were poor and VU canceled any further bug-fixing beyond the
first one. As I pointed out earlier, I have pre-ordered Boiling Point
regardless ( in US around the end of May). Consider it to be a
charitable donation to an adventurous developer...at least that small
part of the retail-price that makes it back to them. And I may
actually get my money's-worth of enjoyment from it anyway.

John Lewis

>--
>If the shoe fits, get another one just like it. - George Carlin
>
>Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:31:40 PM

John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> For the same game-play reasons as you, I pre-ordered it here in the
> US. I, like you, may have a "very mixed experience" with the game,
> but at least a small portion of my money will have gone to a
> good-cause --- rewarding an adventurous small developer.

Exactly.

>I have
> been informed that the Atari US release has been delayed by about
> a week to the end of May--- maybe working a quick patch for the US
> market ? In which case there may be some further delay....Or just on a
> slow Atari boat from the UK?

FYI:

http://tinyurl.com/ascmg

Looks like there's already a patch out for the US version, a good sign
maybe?
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 8:27:20 PM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> steamKILLER wrote:
>> x-no-archive: yes
>>
>> Andrew wrote:
>>
>> > I think I will wait for a patch or two before buying it.
>>
>> you are really something...
>> so this time its the patch excuse... i though you being the
>> "demo man" you would instead use the "demo" excuse
>> one thing for sure "demo man"... no one like you plays as
>> many demos and buys less pc games... in that field you're
>> simply the best
>
> Is there a demo? I'd like to see how big these problems really are.
> Maybe it is worth buying now and patching now?

I've grabbed the patch, will see how stable it runs now. I have had a few
hard lock ups on the original version.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 9:02:07 PM

On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:31:40 +0200, "Alfred Pum"
<mooskugerl@DELETEgmx.at> wrote:

>John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> For the same game-play reasons as you, I pre-ordered it here in the
>> US. I, like you, may have a "very mixed experience" with the game,
>> but at least a small portion of my money will have gone to a
>> good-cause --- rewarding an adventurous small developer.
>
>Exactly.
>
>>I have
>> been informed that the Atari US release has been delayed by about
>> a week to the end of May--- maybe working a quick patch for the US
>> market ? In which case there may be some further delay....Or just on a
>> slow Atari boat from the UK?
>
>FYI:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/ascmg
>
>Looks like there's already a patch out for the US version, a good sign
>maybe?

Thanks SO much for the link, as I am in the US awaiting release here
(May 30).

John Lewis

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 12:59:47 AM

Quoth The Raven "Alfred Pum"<mooskugerl@DELETEgmx.at> in
d741d1$od9$1@paperboy.si.eunet.at
> John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> For the same game-play reasons as you, I pre-ordered it here in the
>> US. I, like you, may have a "very mixed experience" with the game,
>> but at least a small portion of my money will have gone to a
>> good-cause --- rewarding an adventurous small developer.
>
> Exactly.
>
>>I have
>> been informed that the Atari US release has been delayed by about
>> a week to the end of May--- maybe working a quick patch for the US
>> market ? In which case there may be some further delay....Or just on
>> a slow Atari boat from the UK?
>
> FYI:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ascmg
>
> Looks like there's already a patch out for the US version, a good sign
> maybe?

great! 34mbs though, glad i'm not on dialup anymores

--
This is an XXX-rated tagline. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to see!

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:51:52 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Highlandish wrote:

tell me pirate... what was your main MOTIVATION for abandoning
dial-up? was it to have unlimited access to STEAL! to PIRATE!
to be a LOW SCUM THIEF!!!!! is that what made you change to a
broadband to finally become a fully resourceful criminal!!!!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:55:08 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Chadwick wrote:

> Is there a demo?

chadwick at least be consistent like demo man!
demo man sticks with the same story the patch excuse but
you change it in each different thread
first it was not having finished your 5 year old games
then it was not having a patch
now its not having a demo
probably the real excuse is your wife not letting you
but we know they are all excuses and not reasons for you
and demo man not buying it...
so lets end this joke and say it clearly...
you and demo man buy boiling point without giving any more
excuse!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:28:50 AM

steamKILLER wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Highlandish wrote:
>
> tell me pirate... what was your main MOTIVATION for abandoning
> dial-up? was it to have unlimited access to STEAL! to PIRATE!
> to be a LOW SCUM THIEF!!!!! is that what made you change to a
> broadband to finally become a fully resourceful criminal!!!!

Either you are suffering some irrational mental disorder, or I owe the
group an apology and you are a troll.

Which is it?
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 8:35:55 AM

steamKILLER wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Chadwick wrote:
>
> > Is there a demo?
>
> chadwick at least be consistent like demo man!
> demo man sticks with the same story the patch excuse but
> you change it in each different thread
> first it was not having finished your 5 year old games
> then it was not having a patch
> now its not having a demo
> probably the real excuse is your wife not letting you
> but we know they are all excuses and not reasons for you
> and demo man not buying it...
> so lets end this joke and say it clearly...
> you and demo man buy boiling point without giving any more
> excuse!

I won't be buying it today, but others may decide to if they can play a
demo and see for themselves how bad the bugs are.

The game sounds good, and I'd like to see a demo to see for myself if
it is something I will enjoy before I spend my cash.

Let's end this joke and say it clearly - YOU go and buy Boiling Point
today. It is a PC only game, in a box and a shop and everything else
you insist on. Yet you haven't bought it yet. Why not?
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:55:22 AM

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> Boy, it's so nice to see a thread where people are discussing a game, and
> not whining about Steam, or whining about Xbox, etc. Thanks guys!

I'm confused. If the name of the game is Boiling Point, doesn't that mean
that there's Steam involved?

badda-bing!
May 27, 2005 10:51:42 PM

Chadwick wrote:

> steamKILLER wrote:
>
>>x-no-archive: yes
>>
>>Highlandish wrote:
>>
>>tell me pirate... what was your main MOTIVATION for abandoning
>>dial-up? was it to have unlimited access to STEAL! to PIRATE!
>>to be a LOW SCUM THIEF!!!!! is that what made you change to a
>>broadband to finally become a fully resourceful criminal!!!!
>

> Either you are suffering some irrational mental disorder, or I owe the
> group an apology and you are a troll.
>
> Which is it?

....either of which is reason enough for a killfile Chadwick.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

x-no-archive: yes

Chadwick wrote:

<snip>

nothing will stop me from defending and protecting pc games
for the good of pc games someone had to do it and destiny
choose me, so i accepted it as a honor almost like public
service

--
!