Sign in with
Your question

Intel Centrino WiFi 1000n

Last response: in Windows 7
April 29, 2012 7:27:18 AM

I just bought a Z570 Lenovo notebook that has what I believe to be a missing wifi driver.

This is the driver in question that I believe I need. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it since the Intel site has been down for over a day now.

I've tried the hardware switch, attempted to locate the component in device manager (nope), recovered the laptop, to no avail.

The wifi has not worked since I received the computer last week. I contacted Lenovo and they're offering to send it to their factory to have it looked at or a replacement (replacement is not possible since it was a limited stock outlet item).

I opened up the laptop and verified that it indeed does contain a wifi chip. I have attached a picture of it here.

This happened to my Dell laptop previously too. I had sent it in for repair, they changed the wifi chip and didn't tell me, so I kept using the Dell drivers for the stock chip, not realizing that it wouldn't work because they have me an upgraded model.

I'm thinking that they may have swapped out the chip after the laptop was refurbished and therefore the Lenovo drivers on their site are not working.
April 29, 2012 8:04:24 AM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ (its up now!)

Run the "Intel Driver Update Utility".
If there is any Intel Hardware (including wifi) that needs a driver update, it will find any avaiable drivers for you.
m
l
April 29, 2012 9:35:36 AM

ngrego said:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ (its up now!)

Run the "Intel Driver Update Utility".
If there is any Intel Hardware (including wifi) that needs a driver update, it will find any avaiable drivers for you.

How would that work if my wifi chip isn't being recognized in the first place? System says that there is no wifi hardware. I have to manually install the driver first, I believe.

In other words: I tried and failed at that already :p 
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 3:39:28 AM

Bump. Anyone?
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:54:52 AM

I've tried all the Lenovo drivers. This is the exact same situation that happened with my Dell laptop as well previously. I had to go directly to Intel's site to download the driver, except here, I can't because their site is down. I was hoping someone might know where a copy/mirror of that driver might be available since it's so common?
m
l
April 30, 2012 5:24:00 AM

Thanks. When I click on your link, after I click on my particular wifi chip, I get to this page and then when I click on either the auto run tool (it hangs) or the manual download (the developer software one fails to rectify the problem and the default consumer driver loads a bad page), I'm at square one again. Ugh. Bad intel!
m
l
April 30, 2012 7:35:11 AM

This may not be a wifi adapter issue directly. It is possible that the problem may be on the mobo and the port the wifi adapter is connecting to. Try updating the chipset drivers, if you haven't already done so.
m
l
April 30, 2012 8:28:38 AM

ngrego said:
This may not be a wifi adapter issue directly. It is possible that the problem may be on the mobo and the port the wifi adapter is connecting to. Try updating the chipset drivers, if you haven't already done so.

Interesting comment. I was so sure it would be the wifi because of a previous experience. I'll definitely give those drivers a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:04:59 PM

This may be a long hot but, are you 100% sure that your wireless adapter is Intel?
I had a look at the lenovo driver download page and also saw two Atheros Broadcom drivers at the bottom of the list. The other Intel drivers don't realy look like actual wireless adapter drivers to me..
Have you tried those out also?
If you have tried running the Intel Driver Update Utility and you get no result, there is a big chance the hardware may not be Intel. I mean, if nothing else is working it is worth a try!
m
l
April 30, 2012 1:14:31 PM

ngrego said:
This may be a long hot but, are you 100% sure that your wireless adapter is Intel?
I had a look at the lenovo driver download page and also saw two Atheros Broadcom drivers at the bottom of the list. The other Intel drivers don't realy look like actual wireless adapter drivers to me..
Have you tried those out also?
If you have tried running the Intel Driver Update Utility and you get no result, there is a big chance the hardware may not be Intel. I mean, if nothing else is working it is worth a try!

Haha, good idea. In the OP, I took a picture of the chip in question. I linked it to an image hosting site. It does seem to be an Intel chip.

The auto Intel Driver Update Utility is a bit tricky. The computer that needs the drivers cannot go online, and if I get it on via ethernet, it does not seem to recognize that there is a wifi chip in there. I think the only way to get around that may be to manually install the driver. Unfortunately, Intel's driver's site is STILL down. I cannot test my theory if I can't get my hands on the driver file. :/ 
m
l
April 30, 2012 3:23:06 PM

scout_03 said:
this is the link for the wi-fi chipset picture you post try these driver that fit your os http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireles... find something else from lenovo intel wi-fi not working with win 7 64 http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/L...

Thank you, but I've tried the link. If you continue on to the first link you provided and press "view all," the page crashes. I've tried the two PROset drivers as well, and they don't work. I think I need the base level driver first.

The Lenovo links were the first ones I tried. They didn't work as well, unfortunately. I think that the chipset they replaced my refurbished laptop with is not the default chip and that's why it's not working.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 3:51:29 PM

did you try auto detect new material in the control panel under peripheral,also did you need to press a fn key to activate the wi-fi or the system have a front switch see the owner manual for this adding wireless switch in front http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%... use fn+f5 to activate the card
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:07:42 PM

scout_03 said:
did you try auto detect new material in the control panel under peripheral,also did you need to press a fn key to activate the wi-fi or the system have a front switch see the owner manual for this adding wireless switch in front http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%... use fn+f5 to activate the card

Not sure how I would do auto-detect new material. But I did do the fn+f5. The entire page comes up blank. Usually it would say error or something, but in my case, the box is completely blank like there is nothing installed.
m
l
April 30, 2012 4:16:31 PM

scout_03 said:
and the front switch is on if wi-fi card work you should see a light to the right side of the battery indicator,just a idea you could buy a wi-fi usb adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... and use this one

Yup, the switch is in the correct position by the icon that pops up on the screen (wifi logo). But there is no light for the wifi switch, though. The wireless adapter from newegg is for what purpose? To get wireless or to get drivers?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 4:42:46 PM

if you could have the internal wi-fi work that could be use to replace it and get wi-fi connection been loking back at the picture look like the card is not seated correctly in the base she is at a angle from what i can see
m
l
April 30, 2012 6:44:02 PM

scout_03 said:
if you could have the internal wi-fi work that could be use to replace it and get wi-fi connection been loking back at the picture look like the card is not seated correctly in the base she is at a angle from what i can see

Interesting! How do I "reseat" the chip? Is there a lever or something I need to pull in order to remove and reinsert the chip??
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 6:50:02 PM

there are 2 little screws on the top between the black and white cables unscrew them reset the card in rescrew back made shure that those cables are well connected to the card
m
l
April 30, 2012 7:04:09 PM

scout_03 said:
there are 2 little screws on the top between the black and white cables unscrew them reset the card in rescrew back made shure that those cables are well connected to the card

Are you referring to the screws on the top left and right on the yellow dotted edge? It looks like the one on the right is missing. Are those the right screws (so I only have to remove the left one)?

EDIT: Yes, I think you are referring to those. Do those two little cables also remove from the chip?
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:43:02 AM

It's defninately Intel, I saw the image, but I still cant figure out why it wont work.
I can only think of a couple of things you could try:
Connect via cable to your router so you can try to get a driver update going. When visiting Intel support use IE others don't seem to work that well with the utility. See if chipset needs an update as well (kind of a longshot)
Also install the Intel Wifi software, That may be needed for the adapter to run smoothly.
I also have an Intel wifi chip on my laptop (100AGN), wich gave me some problems before I updated the software!
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:48:32 AM

ngrego said:
It's defninately Intel, I saw the image, but I still cant figure out why it wont work.
I can only think of a couple of things you could try:
Connect via cable to your router so you can try to get a driver update going. When visiting Intel support use IE others don't seem to work that well with the utility. See if chipset needs an update as well (kind of a longshot)
Also install the Intel Wifi software, That may be needed for the adapter to run smoothly.
I also have an Intel wifi chip on my laptop (100AGN), wich gave me some problems before I updated the software!

By chance I happened to visit the same link in the OP that I said wasn't loading. It now works! When I get back home in a few days I'm definitely going to try the link and see what happens!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2012 8:53:18 PM

will be around
m
l
May 6, 2012 12:16:01 AM

scout_03 said:
will be around

So I Installed just about every driver I could find (included the lauded 200mb file) but still nothing. I can't seem to get the hardware to show in device manager or anywhere. I couldn't reseat the chip because I didn't have any screw drivers that worked unfortunately. Ideas?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2012 12:38:33 AM

you need to reset the card to find if she's good solve or your issue with this usb wi-fi i post the link for
m
l
May 6, 2012 12:39:23 AM

scout_03 said:
you need to reset the card to find if she's good solve or your issue with this usb wi-fi i post the link for

Damn, I tried so many screwdrivers with no luck. I'll have to see if I can find a "computer kit" or something.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2012 12:49:44 AM

this is a phillips screw, you could go where you bought it if there is atech service and ask to check if they could reseat card in place since it not showing in the system or go to a tech shop you know around your place
m
l
May 9, 2012 1:18:00 AM

Had no option but to send it in for repair. The price was too good for the unit for me to return. Hopefully they get it right!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 9, 2012 1:28:48 AM

good you will enjoy when it get back
m
l
!