RAID 'performance'?

G

hey,
i am planning to buy a new computer with two ide drives in a RAID1 array. At first, i thought it would make sence that there would be a performance increase, but i am starting to doubt that. If RAID1 rights the same data to both harddrives, i dont see how there could be a write performance increase, only a read performance increase. Does that make sence and should i just get a scsi for faster performance?

please help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Level 1 is slightly slower than non-RAID, with 100% data backup. Level 0 is the fastest.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

G

So why is Raid 0 less secure than Raid 1. Is data lost even if there is no harddisk crash?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Level 0 is non-redundant, data is divided into two chunks, half of it is sent to one drive and half to the other, so if one drive crashes, the related files are lost on both drives, if one drive fails, all data is lost from both drives. Level 1 makes an exact copy of drive one to drive 2. So level 0 treats two identicle drives as one drive that's twice as large and twice as fast (in theory), while Level 1 treats two drives as one drive with a backup (giving you the space of only one drive)

There is an alternative called Level 10, or 0+1, which gives you both features but requires at least four drives and gives you the usable space of two drives which are treated as one drive, twice the size, by the OS.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

I don't suppose you have an idea of how much CPU utilisation a RAID 0+1 config uses over say a single or RAID 0 config?

Just curious.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, because noone could tell you that. It depends entirely on the controller type, construction, CPU speed, and driver.