yahoosh

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
Hi I have a celeron 700 MHZ with 128 MB SDRAM , Those 128 MB come in one single DIMM and are installed on socket one ( I still have two free sockets ) .Now I have taking from an old PII a DIMM which is 64 MB and is Compact , My question is : can I just add those 64 MB to my memory ? is it going to work or am I going to fry my Mobo ? does it matter that this memory is proprietary memory (compact ) ?
THANX for any amnswers....

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Motherboards for Celeron 700 has a memory bus of 66 or 100 MHz. On the other hand, PII from 350 MHz and up had a bus of 100 Mhz so the memory should be fine.
Just install it and test. You can’t produce any damage.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Do you know what is the bus of the memory installed with the Celeron? It could be 66 or 100 MHz
I think that the 64 MB stick is 66 MHz.

So just install the memory on the Celeron System and test it. If the system doesn’t boot just take out the stick and reboot again.

yahoosh

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2002
I think my celeron system has a FSB of 66MHZ but I am not quite sure ...So is it going to do any harm if the BUS is 100 and the DIMM stick runs at 66 ( I know that the other way around is OK)

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
No problem, if you try to run 66 MHz RAM at 100 MHz the computer simply doesn't boot up. Or at least you will have stability problems.
BTW, what motherboard do you have?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You shouldn't have a problem. Most Compaq PII's used SDRAM. But there is the possibility of it being an EDO DIMM, which would still fit but probably wouldn't work. No harm done.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>