Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Wireless Repeater HELP!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 8, 2012 9:47:11 PM

Hey guys,

I have bought a Winstar WN518N2 Wireless N Wi-Fi Repeater a few days ago and its giving me a major headache trying to set it up.

In the installation guide (which is very poorly explained), its telling me to setup a manual TCP/IPv4 connection on my computer.
This is exactly what it is being said:

Plug your computer with the Wifi Repeater with RJ45 cable. Type Ip address is 192.168.10.x (x is from 2 to 254). Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Type routers LAN IP address (the default IP is 192.168.10.1) into the default gateway field.
Open web browser and type 192.168.10.1 and the login screen will appear.


I have tried that and when I go in my browser and type 192.168.10.1, i get an endless loop turning and at one point it tells me that the webpage cannot be displayed.
This is the configuration I tried:
Ip Address: 192.168.10.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1

On the backside of the repeater, there is also another ip address mentioned, 192.168.0.1.
So I have tried setting up my IPv4 with something like:
Ip Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

That also did not work.

My main router is a Dlink and has DHCP setup as 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.50

Im completely out of ideas and in need of help...

Thank you

More about : wireless repeater

a b F Wireless
August 9, 2012 3:46:58 AM

Although they don't mention it, make sure the wired network connection between your PC and the repeater is the ONLY active network connection. Having another active network connection could cause problems. You want this setup done in isolation.

As long as you manually assign an IP address to your PC as 192.168.10.2-254 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (although they suggest it, you don’t really need the default gateway, just leave it blank for now), and save it, your network should be configured properly, and the repeater should be accessible at http://192.168.10.1.

Score
0
August 9, 2012 2:43:00 PM

I have tried setting up my computer to 192.168.10.254 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 and when I load the 192.168.10.1 in my browser,
I get this message:

The connection timed out.
The server 192.168.10.1 is taking too long to respond.

What should I do...? :( 
Score
0
Related resources
November 3, 2012 3:19:55 AM

I have the same Win-Star WiFi WN518N2 Repeater. the setup document is a piece of ***. very poor explanation and the the size of the word is smaller than some banks legal terms and conditions fine print.

the default IP address for these repeaters is 192.168.10.1 and the user ID and password is 'admin'.

All I am able to do is log in and repeat the configuration time and again and reset the repeater and start over all again. the repeater is not able to connect to my NetGear router and establish any connection.

I have my internal LAN IP as 192.168.1.1 - 254.

did you get lucky fixing this? if you did can you please share that info.

Thanks.
Score
0
November 3, 2012 4:40:24 AM

are you getting at least 70% signal str. from the original wireless access point?
Score
0
February 21, 2013 9:28:04 PM

CiviCity said:
I have tried setting up my computer to 192.168.10.254 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 and when I load the 192.168.10.1 in my browser,
I get this message:

The connection timed out.
The server 192.168.10.1 is taking too long to respond.

What should I do...? :( 


Hi,

I have the same problem, it's saying the connection timed out.

Did you find a way to solve it?

Thanks in advance!
Score
0
February 22, 2013 1:06:38 PM

Hi CivicCity,

In my case it was giving me the "Timed Out" message because the repeater was located too close to the router when I was configuring it. I took it to a different room and it worked perfectly.

I have a MAC laptop and used this instructions to configure it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAH_81hGOLI (min 13 aprox. for repeater).

Because the instructions that came with the repeater are only for PCs.

For Mac computers you don't need to write the IP address or the gateway as indicated in the instructions for Pcs.

Hope this helps,

M.
Score
0
April 3, 2013 1:03:46 PM

CiviCity said:
Hey guys,

I have bought a Winstar WN518N2 Wireless N Wi-Fi Repeater a few days ago and its giving me a major headache trying to set it up.

In the installation guide (which is very poorly explained), its telling me to setup a manual TCP/IPv4 connection on my computer.
This is exactly what it is being said:

Plug your computer with the Wifi Repeater with RJ45 cable. Type Ip address is 192.168.10.x (x is from 2 to 254). Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. Type routers LAN IP address (the default IP is 192.168.10.1) into the default gateway field.
Open web browser and type 192.168.10.1 and the login screen will appear.


I have tried that and when I go in my browser and type 192.168.10.1, i get an endless loop turning and at one point it tells me that the webpage cannot be displayed.
This is the configuration I tried:
Ip Address: 192.168.10.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1

On the backside of the repeater, there is also another ip address mentioned, 192.168.0.1.
So I have tried setting up my IPv4 with something like:
Ip Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

That also did not work.

My main router is a Dlink and has DHCP setup as 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.50

Im completely out of ideas and in need of help...

Thank you


Score
0
April 3, 2013 1:11:18 PM

What they don't tell you is that you have to turn off your other router and connect the repeater with an Ethernet cable to your computer .type in to your address bar 192.168.10.1 this should then let you bring it up .You then need to type in admin then in password admin again .then follow the instructions that you are given with the set up wizard .
Hope this helps people .!!!!!!
Score
0
April 4, 2013 8:21:16 PM

macapd said:
CiviCity said:
I have tried setting up my computer to 192.168.10.254 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 and when I load the 192.168.10.1 in my browser,
I get this message:

The connection timed out.
The server 192.168.10.1 is taking too long to respond.

What should I do...? :( 


Hi,

I have the same problem, it's saying the connection timed out.

Did you find a way to solve it?

Thanks in advance!


Score
0
April 4, 2013 8:42:52 PM

Hi All those are having problems with the Wireles N wifi Repeater, this ok me over 1 hour to crack.

connect the Wireles N wifi Repeater into the conputer (Not the router at this time until you finish and then conect to router)

Press start go to control panel, clickveiw network status and tasts and then click Manage Network Connections, Right click Local Area Network select Properties, when the list comes up select Internet Protocol Version 4 and then press Properties.

Once there you need to clickuse the following
IP address 192.168.10.111
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.10.1
Click ok,
ONCE thats done now you can go to the internet and type in 192.168.10.1 and it will WORK.

admin is the user name and password

make shore you have slected wireless Repeater and click NEXT
the next page will ask you to select our own wifi and then click NEXT
Slect a password and DO NOT CHANGE ANY THING ON THIS PAGE.
Click Apply and Reboot.

I hope this helps Joerob
Score
0
April 5, 2013 2:18:35 AM

Wisey40a said:
What they don't tell you is that you have to turn off your other router and connect the repeater with an Ethernet cable to your computer .type in to your address bar 192.168.10.1 this should then let you bring it up .You then need to type in admin then in password admin again .then follow the instructions that you are given with the set up wizard .
Hope this helps people .!!!!!!


You should not have to turn off your router to configure any type of repeater. All you would need to do is disconnect from any existing networks and only connect to the repeater. Then follow the mfr's instructions to configure the repeater.
Score
0
a b F Wireless
April 5, 2013 11:39:36 PM

Time to close this one down now. All the advice is there to be read but doesn't need adding to at this late stage. Anyone with a problem can start a new thread.
Score
0
!