Wireless/wired Internet help

josh21

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hello everyone! I need some help with something that's been nagging me for some time and haven't been able to find many answers for it.

I am going to be getting a desktop, plus there will be 3 laptops in the house. Now I want to have the internet connected right to the desktop (not getting a wireless card for the desktop) but also allow a wireless connection to the laptops. I don't know if getting a wireless router through my ISP provider is the way to go or to just stay with a standard modem and buy my own wireless router?

I tried to do that a few years back but for some reason only the desktop got internet and the wireless router wouldn't allow other computers to connect to it, if I unplugged it from the desktop it would give wireless capabilities again. I'm not sure if I screwed up, compatibility issues with modem & wireless router or what.

Any help will be much appreciated!

~Josh21

Always buy your own wireless router whenever possible. If the ISP provides it, it's mostly likely a single/combo device (modem+router) and that's often very limiting. I have no idea what your previous problems may have been, but all modern routers are designed to work well w/ cable/dsl modems. It's all very standardized. That's doesn't mean no one will ever run into problems from time to time, but in most cases, they just work.