Connection issue, please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi!

So I had a 40mb internet connection until recently. Every computer in the house pretty much got 40mb speed on speedtest.net (37-40mb every time). I pay extra every month for a gaming connection and it has zero traffic shaping and I am promised a prioritized connection to achieve max or close to max speeds at all times, this seems to work fine as I have never seen it slow down! I use an FTTC connection.

Recently, my local exchange was upgraded to offer me a max of 80mb, I took this option up, although my provider told me to not expect to get more than 72mb, this was fine for me as the price was the same and I got nearly double speed!

It hasn't quite worked out like that though, my laptop in the living room, using wireless gets around 35mb, using an ethernet cable I got 71mb. The issue I have is with my 2 PCs upstairs. For some reason these 2 machines wont go above 40 mb, infact they stay at exactly the same speed as before my connection was upgraded! These 2 are connected using powerline adapters. I have had no issues at all with the powerline adapters, infact they have been one of my best buys over the last few years!!

I am using the TP-Link AV200's and they are plugged into a 6 plug extension cable, I know this is generally a 'no no' as they decrease speed, but I had no speed reduction when my connection was at 40mb and I refuse to believe this is now causing me to to lose 40mb of speed when it cost me 0 before. Unfortunately I cannot test by plugging directly into the wall socket as I dont have an ethernet cable long enough (not to mention lack of plug sockets, I have about 20 things plugged in! lol). My house is less than 10 years old and the wiring is good and its all on the same ring.

So, apart from the powerline adapters, is there anything else that would prevent me from seeing 0 increase in speed up here but nearly a double increase downstairs? (I could understand if I only got a bit of an increase upstairs, but zero increase cant be right??) or is it the powerline adapters causing the issue?

thanks in advance :)

For starters wireless is, with very few exceptions, slower than a wired connection. For 802.11g, which has a theoretical maximum speed of 54Mb/sec, allowing for protocol overhead, 35Mb/sec is about right.

Second, your powerline adapters are using wireless protocols, and, though advertised as 200Mb/sec, that's the theoretical maximum speed between the stations. The stations themselves only have 10/100Mb Ethernet ports. With protocol overhead 40Mb/sec is about right.

diddle283

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I was just reading pieces from other forums and their are people getting 70mb+ using the exact same plugs as me! I have just managed to get the plug directly into a wall on my other computer (much easier to move than this one) and got just over 50mb (that one got 43mb before I changed the plug position, although its normally around 40mb)... There will be another reason for this but I just cant figure it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.