CrazyAggie05

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
hey guys, i just installed a second hard drive into my pc. its a WD 80gig w/8mb of cache. my old drive was a 20 gig WD. i out the new drive as the master on ide 1 and the old one as the slave. i used in the install utility that come with the new HD to copy all files from the old one onto the new one. my question is whether or not that is a good setup configuration, and can i delete all the files off the now secondary 20 gig HD?
thanks
ryall

Best thing is to test the new one by disconnecting the old one. If it works, then go ahead and wipe it.

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

CrazyAggie05

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
i just tried that, it wouldnt boot cause it said it couldnt find the hard drive. i have the drives installed in cable select configuration, so would disconnecting the slave HD piss it off? or, am i stupid and do i need to disconnect it, then turn it off in BIOS?

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
It can't find the harddrive or is says "no OS found"? if you boot with a floppy can you see the C drive and all the files and folders?

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
Whatever you do, dont delete everything until you are absoluetely 100% sure everything is working. With that much space I don't think space is an issue for now. Better to keep your stuff on the 20GB drive and make sure it all works first.

Now, did you format the 80GB drive under a primary or a logical parition? If you did it as primary it won't boot up, your operating system has to run on a logical parition.

Cooj

CrazyAggie05

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
ooooh boy now youre gettin way above me ;) i just followed the instructions supplied with the HD. i installed it on IDE one as the master w/ the old HD as the slave using cable select configuration. i then booted up the pc and turned on autodectection LMA in bios like the manual said, then restarted, and ran the installation disk. it asked wether i wanted to copy system files onto the new drive, or copy the old drive onto the new drive, and i chose the later path since i wanted to run everything off the new drive. did i do something wrong? do i need to recondifgure some stuff? oh, and the new drive is formatted with no partitions, its straight up 80gigs.

CrazyAggie05

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
ok, heres an update. i think everyhting is ok. i tried to boot it again without the second HD hooked up again. it gave me the same message. it said primary drive on ide one not found...or something like that.....then it said press f1 to continue, or f2 to enter setup. i pressed f1, and voila, it booted ok, and im currently writing this message from that same boot. so i think it works. i guess all thats left is to wipe the second drive. sound good?

thanks again!

ps....i wrote another message in the win98/me section about windows me tweaks(vcache, file sys, mem, etc). if yall know anything about tweak could yall check it out? no one has yet, im having some issues! thanks! :)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well if the OS is set up right on the new drive then sure...

however i think its a good idea to keep the old drive active, as a backup unit in case of emergencies.

<b>MegaHertz Matters! ... But not without Cache our a decent chipset!!! :cool: </b>

Napoleon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Well, if the Cable Select is acting funny, better double-check the cable and jumper settings. Both of your drives should be jumpered 'CS' if you want to leave it up to the cable to decide which is the slave and which is the master.

As far as I know, all 80-wire IDE cables support CS and the connectors are colour-coded: blue for the motherboard, gray for the slave and black for the master. You should also be able to connect just one drive, leaving the gray middle connector unused.

CS may work differently with older 40-wire cables, or not at all. BTW, if you happen to have a 40-wire cable and you're using ATA66/100/133, you're asking for trouble.

If you've got these bases covered already, just forget about CS. Jumper the new drive as master, the old drive as slave and connect the cable accordingly.

<b>What do you mean, "don't touch that heatsink"? Step aside and let me show you howWAAAAH!!</b>