Are there games similar to Vietcong?

I've just finished Vietcong and First Alpha. It's one of the few FPS
that I've enjoyed. Vietcong 2 is due out late this year. Are there
any games similar to Vietcong I could play in the meantime? They don't
necessarily need to be in Vietnam theme.

Unlike other FPS games where you just roam around a laser-tag gym
aimlessly, Vietcong's world looks realistic, it's something your
survival instincts can relate. Streams, cliffs, boulders, hedge,
trees, and grass. I like how you start some of the mission by coming
off a huey, then off it goes leaving you just you and your squad. Your
pointman acts like a pointman. Some objective change in the middle of
your mission. Calling for artillery or air support. The AI isn't bad
either, the enemy don't have suicidal tendencies. The booby traps were
kind of annoying once, but you get used to looking for it everytime.

I've tried Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. They're good games, but
too linear. You really can't go anywhere but that narrow path they
want you to follow.

x-no-archive: yes

Riddick wrote:

<snip>

buy:
"far cry" from ubisoft
and the just released hot new title
"boiling point" from atari
you will find bought extremely worthy to spend your money with
also you could buy another title from the vietcong publisher
"hidden & dangerous 2" from take2

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

alfred Pum wrote:
> <flightlessvacuum@lycos.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> > Operation Flashpoint.
>
> That's what I was thinking, too. Vietcong pales a lot in comparison to the
> scope of OFP, both in terms of gameplay/worldsize. I've recently reinstalled
> it, downloaded the FDF mod ( http://koti.mbnet.fi/~fdfmod/ ) and am having a
> blast with it. Squad control is also a lot more elaborate than in Vietcong,
> if you're a good commander you can use your men to wreak havoc upon the
> enemy quite effectively. And you'll cringe whenever you hear: "Oh no, x is
> down"

How many different Operation Flashpoint out there?

On 25 May 2005 18:33:11 -0700, "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've just finished Vietcong and First Alpha. It's one of the few FPS
>that I've enjoyed. Vietcong 2 is due out late this year. Are there
>any games similar to Vietcong I could play in the meantime? They don't
>necessarily need to be in Vietnam theme.

Be sure to pick up the "Red Dawn" add-on for more single-player fun.

(Actually, I don't know if it is fun since I haven't played it yet,
but even if it's just "more of the same" I'll be happy)

http://vietcong.lobogames.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=810&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Alfred Pum wrote:
> "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > How many different Operation Flashpoint out there?
>
> Hmm, well let's see: http://www.flashpoint1985.com
>
> Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis - the original game
> 1. addon: Red Hammer
> 2. addon: Resistance
>
> There's also a GOTY edition out, including both addons, so, that's what I'd
> get. Cheap, too. For example: http://tinyurl.com/9ozqb
>
> And then of course there's the mods. New vehicles, islands, weapons, sounds,
> missions, literally hundreds of them.

I love Operation Flashpoint, but the OP will find that Flashpoint
isn't nearly as "lush" as Vietcong. It's going from tropical jungles
to Eastern Eurpoean fields and forests. Not much terrain detail.

But still an amazing game for the scope of the landscape, vehicles,
and tactical possibilities.

<flightlessvacuum@lycos.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Operation Flashpoint.

That's what I was thinking, too. Vietcong pales a lot in comparison to the
scope of OFP, both in terms of gameplay/worldsize. I've recently reinstalled
it, downloaded the FDF mod ( http://koti.mbnet.fi/~fdfmod/ ) and am having a
blast with it. Squad control is also a lot more elaborate than in Vietcong,
if you're a good commander you can use your men to wreak havoc upon the
enemy quite effectively. And you'll cringe whenever you hear: "Oh no, x is
down"

Far Cry is very much a one-man-army game, good as it is. No squad action
there. Nor is there in Boiling Point (RPG/FPS hybrid).

"Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> How many different Operation Flashpoint out there?

Hmm, well let's see: http://www.flashpoint1985.com

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis - the original game
1. addon: Red Hammer
2. addon: Resistance

There's also a GOTY edition out, including both addons, so, that's what I'd
get. Cheap, too. For example: http://tinyurl.com/9ozqb

And then of course there's the mods. New vehicles, islands, weapons, sounds,
missions, literally hundreds of them.

Andrew

On 25 May 2005 18:33:11 -0700, "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've tried Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. They're good games, but
>too linear. You really can't go anywhere but that narrow path they
>want you to follow.

It isn't as immersive as VC, but Ghost Recon has its moments.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> I might take a look at H&D2 but the reviews I've read haven't been
> favorable.

No need to diss H&D, this is a great game. The first H&D Delux is free
now, go download it, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it is all about squad
tactics.

rms

On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:35:03 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:

>> I might take a look at H&D2 but the reviews I've read haven't been
>> favorable.
>
> No need to diss H&D, this is a great game. The first H&D Delux is free
>now, go download it, I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it is all about squad
>tactics.

The concept was good, but there are outstanding bugs that interfere with
gameplay. For example, the deluxe edition has a bug on hard difficulty
where enemies get to fire all 30 bullets within one frame. It doesn't
appear all the time, but is consistant.

Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> (Actually, I don't know if it is fun since I haven't played it yet,
> but even if it's just "more of the same" I'll be happy)

I've played the first mission (rice fields?) of this free addon and
couldn't complete it because of snipers that were able to shoot you even if
they were far behind the fog line (I hope you understand what I am trying
to explain :)).

Dennis

What about Battlefield Vietnam? Is the single-player any good?

"Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've just finished Vietcong and First Alpha. It's one of the few FPS
> that I've enjoyed. Vietcong 2 is due out late this year. Are there
> any games similar to Vietcong I could play in the meantime? They don't
> necessarily need to be in Vietnam theme.
>
> Unlike other FPS games where you just roam around a laser-tag gym
> aimlessly, Vietcong's world looks realistic, it's something your
> survival instincts can relate. Streams, cliffs, boulders, hedge,
> trees, and grass. I like how you start some of the mission by coming
> off a huey, then off it goes leaving you just you and your squad. Your
> pointman acts like a pointman. Some objective change in the middle of
> your mission. Calling for artillery or air support. The AI isn't bad
> either, the enemy don't have suicidal tendencies. The booby traps were
> kind of annoying once, but you get used to looking for it everytime.
>
> I've tried Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. They're good games, but
> too linear. You really can't go anywhere but that narrow path they
> want you to follow.

Have you tried Delta Force: Black Hawk Down? The action takes place
either in large cities or wide open terrain. Plus, there are vehicles like
the humvee with 50cal and Blackhawk helo with miniguns. You do have
teammates, but they're not the brightest boys in the band. Still the action
can get intense as tracers rounds whiz past your head.

You should be able to find it in the bargin bin in some stores. And try
the demo here.

http://www.novalogic.com/games.asp?GameKey=DFBHD

Andrew

On 26 May 2005 17:56:04 -0700, "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What about Battlefield Vietnam? Is the single-player any good?

The SP portion of the Battlefield games is basically multiplayer with
bots. Fun as they are, they are nothing like Vietcong and you don't
have a squad to control.

fisher

On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:37:27 -0400, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>"Deadly Dozen". It's the nick-name of the American commando team. It was a
>sleeper mainly because the original was not that good of a game (being
>mostly railroaded and having an extremely low sight distance).

I bought the original after I had played the sequel and it wasn't all
that good but it was ok. The sequel (Pacific Theater) I thought was
quite good though and I enjoyed it better than Medal of Honor. Much
less on rails than MoH and far less scripted.

fisher

On 26 May 2005 17:56:04 -0700, "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What about Battlefield Vietnam? Is the single-player any good?

Not really. I only enjoy the Battlefield games in MP mode.