Souncard of choice in Doom3 theatre!

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Philips Acoustic Edge, Driving the 5.1 sound in the Doom3 Theatre. Eat your hearts out TBSC & GTXP users. I believe I read this in the day 2 report here.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, this may not seem as obvious to you as to the rest of us, but it seems that they would have picked the SB Audigy by default had not the Acoustic Edge been better.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
With all due respect Crash, it seems to me the other two cards I mentioned are the ones recommended anytime someone asks for advice, the majority of the time anyhow.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
? Which cards, the TBSC and GTXP? So you would vote against the PAE?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Hell no, I,m saying anytime someone asks for soundcard recommendations around here, the TBSC and the GTXP are the cards of choice in this forum. The PAE seems like a distant third or fourth choice around here.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I find it interesting that none of them (TBSC and GTXP fans)have chimed in here.

G

what the hey, all in the name of boredom.

OK that makes what, like 1 game?

I'd suffer a quality loss for compatibility with other stuff. Although I must admit the thought of making everything perfect for Doom 3 does seem an appealing thought. Especially considering that for it's time the original doom for the PC made me about as in to it as any game I can recall, ever.

I think back then I used a pro audio spectrum 16bit ooo baby, FM synthesis. I thought it sounded killer (and back then I probably would have really used a phrase like that too, killer heh heh).

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. I have try both Philips Acoustic Edge and TBSC on my Klipsch and decide to get Philips Acoustic Edge for my main rig. It sounds better than TBSC.

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
OK that makes what, like 1 game?
Only the most anticipated game ever. Also consider that the PAE didnt exist when the UT and Quake3 engines were being developed.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I have no interest in Doom 3...never been interested at all in any of ID's games...

I also really love the Breakout box on my GTXP, i use it constantly for things i could not do with a normal PCI SC.

If i was using a normal card without breakout box i'd have tried and compared the PAE by now same as i tried and compared the TBSC and the GTXP.

So thats why i havn't tried the phillips AE yet. I really like phillips as a company, got nothing against the card either since i havn't tried it.

Usually i dont see it recommened anywhere for gaming though, see it recommended for movies and music alot, there must be some reason...unless phillips came out with new drivers or something. That would kick if they released some new improved drivers that are DX9 compatible and everything.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out