Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just built a new computer, clueless on how to get internet on it

Last response: in Networking
September 10, 2012 10:23:29 PM

About a week ago I finished building my new pc and was very, very happy. I downloaded Windows XP and all the drivers needed. (Motherboard + Video card drivers)

I have a d-link router and a webstar modem. I connected the blue ethernet cable from the router into the back of the computer. When I look on the desktop, nothing comes up about the internet. I've rebooted the pc many times and have attempted to reboot the modem + router.

I've searched the web for solutions but cannot find anything that has helped me.

What can I do?
September 12, 2012 2:46:00 AM

Is there actual connectivity issues where the internet won't display or can't you find where to run the internet from? Make sure you have the latest NIC drivers. You mentioned 'motherboard drivers' so I assume you got the NIC one as part of those, if not, you should get it from the mobo manufactures website.

If you simply can't find where to run the internet from, go to the start menu and find 'Internet Explorer' click it to access the internet. To place a shortcut on the desktop right click it and select: send to > desktop (create shortcut).

OR

If you can find the internet but it won't connect then check if your PC's nic is configured as DHCP and has received an IP address etc from the router.
To do this:
1. go to the start menu > all programs > accessories > run
2. one you have the run dialog up type 'cmd' into the box (minus the ' on either end of cmd) and press enter
3. a black window with white writing should pop up. type 'ipconfig /all' and then press enter.
4. a while bunch of text should come up. try and find the enthernet adapter subheading and find and reply with the following:
-DHCP Enabled
-IPv4 Address
-Subnet Mask
-Default Gateway
-DHCP Server
m
l
September 16, 2012 4:38:55 PM

Sorry for responding so late, I've been busy recently. If you would still be able to help me with the problems I'm having then that would be great.

When I put in the CD that came with the motherboard, here are the different things I can download: Chipset(AMD Chipset Drivers), LAN(Realtek PCIE Network Drivers), Audio(HD/HDMI Audio Drivers Hotflix), and Others (ASMedia USB3.0 Driver, Super Charger, Winkini, CPU Drivers)

I downloaded the Chipset, Lan, Audio, and Winki from Others.

I couldn't download the Chipset driver without Net.Framework or w/e so I downloaded it on my laptop, put it on my usb drive, and put it into the PC. I just recently found out that it was under the CPU driver in Others.

I'll try to explain the problem a little more. Even with the ethernet cable plugged in, it shows no internet/wifi networks. If I go to internet explorer it will just say "No connection to the internet is currently available. To view internet content that has been saved in your computer, click Work Offline." The only thing i can really do is "Set up a Internet Connection" but it will make me try to connect to a dial-up connection or something.

I'll be sure to respond as quickly as possible the next time you respond. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2012 11:14:02 AM

try this which I posted, it will help narrow the problem down.

Check if your PC's NIC is configured as DHCP and has received an IP address etc from the router.
To do this:
1. go to the start menu > all programs > accessories > run
2. one you have the run dialog up type 'cmd' into the box (minus the ' on either end of cmd) and press enter
3. a black window with white writing should pop up. type 'ipconfig /all' and then press enter.
4. a white bunch of text should come up. try and find the enthernet adapter subheading and find and reply with the following:
-DHCP Enabled
-IPv4 Address
-Subnet Mask
-Default Gateway
-DHCP Server

We want to at least see if you have a working link to the router.
m
l
September 17, 2012 7:48:27 PM

When i type "ipconfig /all" the only thing that pops up is "Windows IP Configuration". Nothing else.

I found out that the PCI device is missing. Would this be in the motherboard cd or the videocard one? I can't find anything saying "PCI Driver" in them.

But, every time I install it and restart the computer, it says it's not installed and that I can install it again.

This is the 50th time i edited this post. Windows updater let me download google chrome and now im able to get onto the internet? What does a PCI Driver do exactly? Can I go without it?
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:51:26 AM

PCI drivers are for devices that slot into the PCI slot of the motherboard. If you have a dedicated PCI NIC then a driver may be needed for the device to function properly.

Are you using the onboard NIC (one coming out of motherboard) OR a Dedicated PCI NIC?
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:41:26 AM

If you look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, you should see a categore called Network Adapters. The only entry in there - as you don't have wireless - will be the NIC or network interface card. If it isn't there - and your ipconfig /all call suggests it won't be - it may appear elsewhere in the list but marked with a yellow question or exclamation mark.

Eithe rway, find it and right click it to Properties then click the Details tab. Scroll to HardwareIDs and and take a note of the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor and also the four following DEV for Device.

Use your other computer to go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those characters in the two relevant boxes and follow the trail to the right driver. When you find the list of the Vendor's drivers, they aren't in order so you need to use your browser's Find facility to track the Device details. With luck you'll have an executable file to copy over to the other machine and simply double click but some will be a zipped folder so expand that comporess file before transferring.

m
l
September 18, 2012 9:51:53 AM

I actually have wifi now so I think the problem is solved. I downloaded steam and a couple other things along with a few games.

There's only one more problem, the mouse lags. (Especially during games) Whenever I move it the cursor will stop, move, then stop again. When I turn in the game, it does the same thing. Any solutions?
m
l
September 18, 2012 11:41:17 AM

thekrohneee said:
I actually have wifi now so I think the problem is solved. I downloaded steam and a couple other things along with a few games.

There's only one more problem, the mouse lags. (Especially during games) Whenever I move it the cursor will stop, move, then stop again. When I turn in the game, it does the same thing. Any solutions?

just focusing on the mouse itself since i've had problems with mine before; check to make sure there isn't any dust or hair stuck in the mouses optics. also check the mouse is securely inserted into the USB port and you have the drivers for the mobos USB. if that all checks out then it may be something else other than the mouse.

i've had the same problem where the screen freezes, then unfreezes, then freezes again, eventually the video card drivers crash and get restored, it may be a video card driver problem or something along those lines. to test it, go onto a video such as one on youtube and when the mouse lags does the video freeze at the same time?\

also is your video card overclocked either by you or and overclocked edition?
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:29:09 PM

It's not a mouse issue because it works perfectly on my laptop. The mouse will lag whenever I watch a video, play a flash game, and when I play a game such as Cs:s.

The video does not freeze when I watch it(while the mouse lags)

The video card is not overclocked.
m
l
September 19, 2012 2:42:14 AM

what are the specs of your PC?
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:02:59 AM

Look in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>USB Ports then click to open the Properties of each one and click the Power tab. Find the one that includes the mouse and check there's no other device taking power from that Port. Two devices working together and trying to take more than 500mA at any one time will affect the performance of both.

m
l
September 20, 2012 7:45:08 PM

Specs: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I'll do what you said saga and get back to you.
Oh, and I never downloaded a driver for the mouse. I could never find it over the internet. It's a Logitech m510 wireless mouse.

Edit: I just tried moving the mouse closer to where i plug in the usb thing and it doesn't lag. I'm guessing it's just the distance from it. (even though it's not very far..) Should I get a wired mouse?
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:12:27 AM

thekrohneee said:
Specs: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I'll do what you said saga and get back to you.
Oh, and I never downloaded a driver for the mouse. I could never find it over the internet. It's a Logitech m510 wireless mouse.

Edit: I just tried moving the mouse closer to where i plug in the usb thing and it doesn't lag. I'm guessing it's just the distance from it. (even though it's not very far..) Should I get a wired mouse?

The lag from wireless mouses usually happens from weak or near dead batteries, if happened to mine all the time. You should try switching the current battery out for some good new ones.

Give that a go, it always used to work for me.
m
l
September 22, 2012 4:58:49 PM

I've tried that multiple times. Like I said, it lags less when i put the mouse extremely close to the receiver.
m
l

Best solution

September 23, 2012 8:47:49 AM

Have you tried plugging the receiver into different USB ports?
Is the device properly synced with the device? try repressing the connect buttons.
Do you have the latest drivers installed for the mouse?
September 23, 2012 10:09:41 PM

Problem fixed, receiver was just too far from it. Bought a corded mouse. Works perfectly. Thanks for the help
m
l
September 23, 2012 10:10:40 PM

Best answer selected by TheKrohneee.
m
l
!