Area 51 demo

Andrew

3dgamers have a 711MB(!) demo for a FPS called Area51. I have never
heard of the game but the screenshots look quite good.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

> 3dgamers have a 711MB(!) demo for a FPS called Area51. I have never
> heard of the game but the screenshots look quite good.

An Xbox port. The environments look quite nice, althought the graphics
don't look very detailed. The screenshots I've seen were perhaps just
hijacked from the xbox version though.

Andrew

On Fri, 27 May 2005 05:54:13 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
wrote:

>An Xbox port. The environments look quite nice, althought the graphics
>don't look very detailed. The screenshots I've seen were perhaps just
>hijacked from the xbox version though.

It looks and feels like an Xbox game. It is okay for an arcade style
space station based shooter, but nothing special.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I thought it was a PS2 game, or is it both?

both.

> 3dgamers have a 711MB(!) demo for a FPS called Area51. I have never
> heard of the game but the screenshots look quite good.

http://www.area51-game.com/main.html
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/area51

There's a handful of reviews at link above. ".... Area 51 delivers the
goods in single player mode, providing around 20 hours of solid shooting
action for sci-fi fans everywhere. It tells a good story, and the twists and
turns keep you riveted all through the entire playtime."

The last good Sci-Fi shooter that I played was Aliens vs Predator 2. The
motion detector beeping...the aliens screaming... me pumping out rounds and
yelling at them to come get some.

While HL2 had an amazing game engine, the game levels/settings just didn't
move me to replay it like AvP2 did. And I can't comment on Doom3 since I
don't have WinXP. :( But I already got some duct tape setting on my
computer desk just waiting for the day that I can.

x-no-archive: yes

Andrew wrote:

> I have never heard of the game but the screenshots look

you've never heard about area51? a multi platform game that has
been publishized by all the gaming media for the last couple of
months?
you know why? cause you must have in your browser some kind of
script to ONLY HIGHLIGHT ARTICLES WITH THE _DEMO_ WORD IN IT!
only with "demo" in it will you be interested in reading it
right "demo man"????

ps: if you bought pc games and not made steam your religion i
wouldn't go after you demo man cause i've to admit you add to
this group and give us sometimes good information like this

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:02:25 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>|3dgamers have a 711MB(!) demo for a FPS called Area51. I have never
>|heard of the game but the screenshots look quite good.

CONSOLITS:
What an embarrassingly amateurish mess Area51 is !! The opening video was great
and then you get to the actual "game" and find its so diluted to run on 64megs
of ram that the box like graphics and low low low textures HURT MY EYES!! I
finished it only to uninstall it moments later. What a joke. I hate it when good
ideas for games get ruined like this. You can almost make out some cool ideas
they had but the lack of ANY polish just killed it. At one point on the Moon set
I thought the whole thing reminded me of a very weak shareware USER MADE game.
Not even a budget title price would make this sell, and they want $50 for both
the xbox and pc version?.. LMFAO. I wouldn't spend 9.99 on it.

Oh and someone please tell the gaming industry that David Dacovny is the WORST
choice of voice over work!! The guy has one level.. monotone. He's been in like
4 games so far and they get ruined.by.his.monotone.reading.of.the.lines. ARGH!

75 fov my ass..

Pluvious

I just started the demo. Did you figure out how to save it? I tried
every key and there is nothing on the ESC menu.

Thusly "ivorybow" <ivorybow@yahoo.com> Spake Unto All:

>I just started the demo. Did you figure out how to save it? I tried
>every key and there is nothing on the ESC menu.

Don't think you can save in the demo.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly "ivorybow" <ivorybow@yahoo.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>I just started the demo. Did you figure out how to save it? I tried
>>every key and there is nothing on the ESC menu.
>
> Don't think you can save in the demo.

You cant even adjust the mouse sensitivity - amateurish
is being polite - but they obviously paid money for people like Duchovny to
provide voiceovers. It baffles me how stupid the games industry can be
wasting money like this.

Andrew wrote:
> 3dgamers have a 711MB(!) demo for a FPS called Area51. I have never
> heard of the game but the screenshots look quite good.

Don't bother, it's uninspired.

Pluvious wrote:

> Not even a budget title price would make this sell, and they want $50 for both
> the xbox and pc version?.. LMFAO. I wouldn't spend 9.99 on it.

Actually, it is a multiplatform game and full price $49.99 only on the
consoles. It is a budget title for the PC, $29.99. It does come across
as exploitation by Midway but they aren't doing that well, no excuse,
but they are hoping to market themselves out of a hard spot. They spent
a ton of money on commercials which really hype it up with just the
intro cinematic and that will rope a lot of people in.