Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

to do in future "boiling point" discussions

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:24:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

we all see boiling point expectations are getting bigger and
bigger by the day and when it finally gets released in the us
we will see a flood of posts from the many anxious pc gamers
wanting to talk about it
now the question is... will this group accept discussing with
criminal pirates?
lets face it... from the possible 100 plus different posters
will have in the following days discussing probably 50% stole
the game and should we pretend its not our business?
should we let pirates discuss with us and knowing they have
stolen not only from the developer and publisher of the game
but also from us?
so my proposal to this group is simple
in every future boiling point thread related to gameplay every
poster must disclose in the beginning if he bought or not the
game
for those posters who refuse to disclose it i propose all off
us boycott and ignore that particular person
yes i agree its an extreme measure... but i believe its we who
must fight against piracy
pc gamers should start doing justice among themselves
its almost like self regulation
remember the great charles bronson in death wish?
lets deal with pirates yourselves!
if this works in this group you can ambition for greater things
in the future
fight against piracy!
protect pc games!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:12:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 28 May 2005 23:24:07 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>we all see boiling point expectations are getting bigger and
>bigger by the day and when it finally gets released in the us
>we will see a flood of posts from the many anxious pc gamers
>wanting to talk about it
>now the question is... will this group accept discussing with
>criminal pirates?
>lets face it... from the possible 100 plus different posters
>will have in the following days discussing probably 50% stole
>the game and should we pretend its not our business?
>should we let pirates discuss with us and knowing they have
>stolen not only from the developer and publisher of the game
>but also from us?
>so my proposal to this group is simple
>in every future boiling point thread related to gameplay every
>poster must disclose in the beginning if he bought or not the
>game
>for those posters who refuse to disclose it i propose all off
>us boycott and ignore that particular person
>yes i agree its an extreme measure... but i believe its we who
>must fight against piracy
>pc gamers should start doing justice among themselves
>its almost like self regulation
>remember the great charles bronson in death wish?
>lets deal with pirates yourselves!
>if this works in this group you can ambition for greater things
>in the future
>fight against piracy!
>protect pc games!
>

As Wally has quite correctly pointed out, we should never
reply to you.....
-------------------------------------------------------------
But assuming that there is something else between your ears
other than wet sawdust, then listen up... Yes, I am indeed
'talking' to you, steamKILLER....
--------------------------------------------------------------
To comply with your own instructions in this thread,
please provide the rest of us with specifics of your own
pre-order or purchase of BOILING POINT before ever
again posting ANYTHING to ANY thread discussing
this game ---starting RIGHT NOW!!! And similarly to
threads on any other games...........

Do you have NOTHING better to do with your life than
to hijack bandwidth in these newsgroups with your pointless
repetitive ramblings ?

If you actually bought some games and got involved in
meaningful discussions on those games, you might earn
some respect. But since it is obvious that you never buy
any games and parrot other people's opinions or advice
( in long rambling diatribes ) then expect to be always
treated like a parasite. Now, please GO AWAY from all
of the games newsgroups that you haunt until you have
something useful and NEW to say about the GAMES
themselves.

John Lewis

>--
>post made in a steam-free computer
>i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:12:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:42997549.13405285@news.verizon.net...
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> To comply with your own instructions in this thread,
> please provide the rest of us with specifics of your own
> pre-order or purchase of BOILING POINT before ever
> again posting ANYTHING to ANY thread discussing
> this game ---starting RIGHT NOW!!! And similarly to
> threads on any other games...........
>
> Do you have NOTHING better to do with your life than
> to hijack bandwidth in these newsgroups with your pointless
> repetitive ramblings ?

Why don't you filter him as I did? Then I won't have to read your post
reposting his repetitive ramblings? Why don't you do that, starting RIGHT
NOW! Do you have NOTHING better to do than argue with a lunatic deprived of
his lithium ?
Related resources
May 29, 2005 1:46:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1117347846.968101.253660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> we all see boiling point expectations are getting bigger and
> bigger by the day and when it finally gets released in the us
> we will see a flood of posts from the many anxious pc gamers
> wanting to talk about it
> now the question is... will this group accept discussing with
> criminal pirates?
> lets face it... from the possible 100 plus different posters
> will have in the following days discussing probably 50% stole
> the game and should we pretend its not our business?
> should we let pirates discuss with us and knowing they have
> stolen not only from the developer and publisher of the game
> but also from us?
> so my proposal to this group is simple
> in every future boiling point thread related to gameplay every
> poster must disclose in the beginning if he bought or not the
> game
> for those posters who refuse to disclose it i propose all off
> us boycott and ignore that particular person
> yes i agree its an extreme measure... but i believe its we who
> must fight against piracy
> pc gamers should start doing justice among themselves
> its almost like self regulation
> remember the great charles bronson in death wish?
> lets deal with pirates yourselves!
> if this works in this group you can ambition for greater things
> in the future
> fight against piracy!
> protect pc games!
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>

I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
ripping us off.

Regards
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 1:46:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:46:22 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:


>I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
>ripping us off.

How did they rip you off exactly? Did they do something to force you to steal
the game? I bought the DVD edition and in no way do I feel ripped off. Pretty
lame excuse for piracy if you ask me. If you just came out and said "I can't
afford it!" then at least that would sound believable.
May 29, 2005 3:20:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:1h3j91h52l0e9uktnb45tn4gqbasdf0agc@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:46:22 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>
>>I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
>>ripping us off.
>
> How did they rip you off exactly? Did they do something to force you to
> steal
> the game? I bought the DVD edition and in no way do I feel ripped off.
> Pretty
> lame excuse for piracy if you ask me. If you just came out and said "I
> can't
> afford it!" then at least that would sound believable.

I paid full price for half life2 and was ripped off.
See other threads for the reasons.

Pirating is for me in the future.



Regards
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:20:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> Pirating is for me in the future.

As is impersonating Yoda, I see.
Pretty bleak future, then. One game rips you off and you turn to crimanal
means to get what you want.
Good luck, loser.
May 29, 2005 3:52:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"TheLoanArranger" <somewhere@wallawallawalla.com> wrote in message
news:jVgme.1081$%h4.315@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
> > Pirating is for me in the future.
>
> As is impersonating Yoda, I see.
> Pretty bleak future, then. One game rips you off and you turn to crimanal
> means to get what you want.
> Good luck, loser.
>
>
>

I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
I intend to get my money back.

I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
nobody does anything about it.

>
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 3:52:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 7c6ug$42l$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
> I intend to get my money back.
>
> I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
> nobody does anything about it.
>

You only need to pirate one or two games from valve to get your money back,
since the cost of buying HL2 is less than the cost of two new games. After
that, you are pirating because you are a pathetic juvenile with social
problems, making it a frightening prospect to get a summer job that will pay
for your lonely life in front of the computer. Don't bother replying, you
won't get a follow-up from me. Looks like I need to filter freeserve too...
May 29, 2005 5:19:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
news:UThme.20$Ap1.14554@news20.bellglobal.com...
> "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 7c6ug$42l$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
>> I intend to get my money back.
>>
>> I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
>> nobody does anything about it.
>>
>
> You only need to pirate one or two games from valve to get your money
> back, since the cost of buying HL2 is less than the cost of two new games.
> After that, you are pirating because you are a pathetic juvenile with
> social problems, making it a frightening prospect to get a summer job that
> will pay for your lonely life in front of the computer. Don't bother
> replying, you won't get a follow-up from me. Looks like I need to filter
> freeserve too...
>
A very old juvenile :-)
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:25:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> Spake Unto All:

>I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
>nobody does anything about it.

I know I shouldn't ask but... How, exactly, did valve/steam rip you
off?
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
news:5Mhme.16$Ap1.13950@news20.bellglobal.com...
>
> Why don't you filter him as I did? Then I won't have to read your post
> reposting his repetitive ramblings? Why don't you do that, starting RIGHT
> NOW! Do you have NOTHING better to do than argue with a lunatic deprived
> of his lithium ?

p.s. I'm not really angry, just imitating the tone of your own post.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:37:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 7bvh6$iqm$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1117347846.968101.253660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > x-no-archive: yes
<snip>
> I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
> ripping us off.
>
> Regards
>

Steamkiller found one pirate.

I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
The US Gov is taxing me too much.
Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.

People will pay for this!

(and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)
May 29, 2005 10:29:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
news:0dmme.7867$PR6.3914@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 7bvh6$iqm$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1117347846.968101.253660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> > x-no-archive: yes
> <snip>
>> I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
>> ripping us off.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>
> Steamkiller found one pirate.
>
> I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
> The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
> The US Gov is taxing me too much.
> Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
> My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
>
> People will pay for this!
>
> (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)
>
>

LOL
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:18:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 07:41:44 -0400, "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca>
wrote:

>"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D 7c6ug$42l$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
>> I intend to get my money back.
>>
>> I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
>> nobody does anything about it.
>>
>
>You only need to pirate one or two games from valve to get your money back,
>since the cost of buying HL2 is less than the cost of two new games.

( $37.99 @ Fry's this weekend... still trying to get rid of their
inventory. )

John Lewis
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 2:34:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
news:0dmme.7867$PR6.3914@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 7bvh6$iqm$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >
> > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1117347846.968101.253660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > > x-no-archive: yes
> <snip>
> > I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
> > ripping us off.
> >
> > Regards
> >
>
> Steamkiller found one pirate.
>
> I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
> The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
> The US Gov is taxing me too much.
> Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
> My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
>
> People will pay for this!
>
> (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)

The difference is, with video games it's very easy to pirate and "even the
scale" and it's easy to argue that no one is getting hurt by it. IMO, were
it just as easy to get back at sears, wendy's and the US government, then
more people would do so without moral dilemna.




>
>
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:32:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

John Lewis wrote:

<snip>

since two days ago were you told us if valve payed you then
you would be in there side its enough for me too see what
kind of person you really are
as for you wanting me to leave, you do your job mister you
protect and promote pc games focus on that and leave me
alone cause what this group needs is more pc gamers and not
less is more promoting and protection of pc games and not
less

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:34:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

Terry wrote:

<snip>

please Terry don't do it! PLEASE!
its what valve want us to become!
steam is the first system to officially promote piracy and
valve wants every pc gamer against steam to become a criminal
its there plan from the start!
don't let them do it!
resist! fight! don't let them turn you into a criminal!
valve wants an excuse... and the excuse is... pc gamers are
all criminals so we need a system like steam
steam is a prison! a PRISON!
and valve excuse to use a prison system in pc games is we
all becoming criminal pirates!
PLEASE TERRY DON'T LET VALVE TURN YOU INTO A CRIMINAL!
DON'T LET VALVE HAVE THE EXCUSE TO PUT YOU IN STEAM PRISON!

i will never ever accept steam! ever!
but i will also never ever pirate a pc game!
that's really the only way to fight valve
not accepting steam and not become the criminal they want us
to be
valve wants more and more piracy... more and more criminals
so they will present steam as the savior to the industry
so they will turn pc games into a gigantic PRISON called steam!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:47:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message
news:429a6e83$0$3458$4d5ecec7@reader.city-net.com...
>
> "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> news:0dmme.7867$PR6.3914@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> >
> > "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:D 7bvh6$iqm$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > >
> > > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:1117347846.968101.253660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > > > x-no-archive: yes
> > <snip>
> > > I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
> > > ripping us off.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> >
> > Steamkiller found one pirate.
> >
> > I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
> > The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
> > The US Gov is taxing me too much.
> > Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
> > My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
> >
> > People will pay for this!
> >
> > (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)
>
> The difference is, with video games it's very easy to pirate and "even the
> scale" and it's easy to argue that no one is getting hurt by it. IMO,
were
> it just as easy to get back at sears, wendy's and the US government, then
> more people would do so without moral dilemna.
>

The day that the lady from Wendy's claimed to have found a finger in her
chilli, I chopped off two of my fingers and one thumb. High hopes I had as
I drove to McDs, Burger King, and Taco Bell. Dollar signs filled my vision
as I accidently missed my turn due to no thumb and two less digits.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:29:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

The bunny above tells us.....

".....went to Sears .....got ripped off.....
The burger ......didn't have the cheese ......I ordered.
........US Gov is taxing.... ........
......idiot in a car cut me .....other day.
.....neighbor's dog peed on...lawn.
People will pay for this!...."

And some pig-head cuts your n.group post up to try n make some silly
point.....like.....u obveouly should forget all bout likes of Boiing
Point...
and get ......POSTAL (the second one is the nearest to
unpleasent-real-life )..POSTAL 2..
luv mouse
@@@@@@
May 30, 2005 1:35:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1117438494.801165.81300@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Terry wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> please Terry don't do it! PLEASE!
> its what valve want us to become!
> steam is the first system to officially promote piracy and
> valve wants every pc gamer against steam to become a criminal
> its there plan from the start!
> don't let them do it!
> resist! fight! don't let them turn you into a criminal!
> valve wants an excuse... and the excuse is... pc gamers are
> all criminals so we need a system like steam
> steam is a prison! a PRISON!
> and valve excuse to use a prison system in pc games is we
> all becoming criminal pirates!
> PLEASE TERRY DON'T LET VALVE TURN YOU INTO A CRIMINAL!
> DON'T LET VALVE HAVE THE EXCUSE TO PUT YOU IN STEAM PRISON!
>
> i will never ever accept steam! ever!
> but i will also never ever pirate a pc game!
> that's really the only way to fight valve
> not accepting steam and not become the criminal they want us
> to be
> valve wants more and more piracy... more and more criminals
> so they will present steam as the savior to the industry
> so they will turn pc games into a gigantic PRISON called steam!
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>

Sounds a little paranoid :-)

Regards
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:31:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
news:cVwme.11749$j51.8015@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>
> "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message
> news:429a6e83$0$3458$4d5ecec7@reader.city-net.com...
> >
> > "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> > news:0dmme.7867$PR6.3914@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> > >
> > > "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > news:D 7bvh6$iqm$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > > >
> > > > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:1117347846.968101.253660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > > > > x-no-archive: yes
> > > <snip>
> > > > I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
> > > > ripping us off.
> > > >
> > > > Regards
> > > >
> > >
> > > Steamkiller found one pirate.
> > >
> > > I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
> > > The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
> > > The US Gov is taxing me too much.
> > > Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
> > > My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
> > >
> > > People will pay for this!
> > >
> > > (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)
> >
> > The difference is, with video games it's very easy to pirate and "even
the
> > scale" and it's easy to argue that no one is getting hurt by it. IMO,
> were
> > it just as easy to get back at sears, wendy's and the US government,
then
> > more people would do so without moral dilemna.
> >
>
> The day that the lady from Wendy's claimed to have found a finger in her
> chilli, I chopped off two of my fingers and one thumb. High hopes I had
as
> I drove to McDs, Burger King, and Taco Bell. Dollar signs filled my
vision
> as I accidently missed my turn due to no thumb and two less digits.

I think that was thrown out along with the hot coffee case from years ago.
Outrageous cases like those are hardly the norm, but ridiculous all the
same.

>
>
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:40:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

Terry wrote:

<snip>

blame it on valve
valve is the one totally paranoid
look at the way they sell a simple game, you need to:
.. identify yourself to be able to play the game
.. you need to ask for permission to play the game
.. they keep track of every time you play the game
.. its they who control when to patch and what version to play
.. they force you to install and always run a program with the
only function to monitor your gaming habits
now Terry tell me who is the paranoid after all?
VALVE off course!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:36:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

steamKILLER wrote:
> steam is the first system to officially promote piracy and
> valve wants every pc gamer against steam to become a criminal
> its there plan from the start!

I've read the Readme, the instructions and the back of the box several
times now and I cannot find the bit that promotes piracy. There's a
whole bunch of stuff against it, and they've even made the game so that
I can't copy it and give it to my friends. But I cannot find any
official endorsement or promotion of piracy.

Was it in a press release, or are you just making it up?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:42:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Terry wrote:
> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:1h3j91h52l0e9uktnb45tn4gqbasdf0agc@4ax.com...
> > How did they rip you off exactly? Did they do something to force you to
> > steal
> > the game? I bought the DVD edition and in no way do I feel ripped off.
> > Pretty
> > lame excuse for piracy if you ask me. If you just came out and said "I
> > can't
> > afford it!" then at least that would sound believable.
>
> I paid full price for half life2 and was ripped off.
> See other threads for the reasons.

You're saying that you think the game should have been priced lower?
That you paid too much for it? And that it's therefore OK to steal more
games until you feel the balance is settled?

Gee. I paid a lot of money for my car, and it's depreciated so rapidly
that I now think I paid too much. By your logic, it's OK to go and
steal another one.

You're either a troll (in which case well done) or a twat.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 9:02:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 30 May 2005 00:32:59 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>John Lewis wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>since two days ago were you told us if valve payed you then
>you would be in there side its enough for me too see what
>kind of person you really are
>as for you wanting me to leave, you do your job mister you
>protect and promote pc games focus on that and leave me
>alone cause what this group needs is more pc gamers and not
>less is more promoting and protection of pc games and not
>less
>

Since you refuse to answer ANY questions that we ask you, it
is pretty obvious that the only voices that you hear are those
originating inside your own head............ You had your last chance
(from me) to dialog in a reasonable fashion in this thread and in
other threads on the "Boiling Point" theme. You just blew it.

Sailor and Wally were both right......nobody should reply to any
of your postings. Best left alone to howl at the moon.........

<PLONK>

John Lewis

>--
>post made in a steam-free computer
>i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:13:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
>news:cVwme.11749$j51.8015@tornado.texas.rr.com...
<snip>
>> The day that the lady from Wendy's claimed to have found a finger in her
>> chilli, I chopped off two of my fingers and one thumb. High hopes I had
>as
>> I drove to McDs, Burger King, and Taco Bell. Dollar signs filled my
>vision
>> as I accidently missed my turn due to no thumb and two less digits.
>
>I think that was thrown out along with the hot coffee case from years ago.
>Outrageous cases like those are hardly the norm, but ridiculous all the
>same.

Sounds like you have no idea at all about the "hot coffee case" other
than those stupid "woman spills coffee on self, sues for billions"
stories.

Read what actually happened.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:06:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:

>
>Read what actually happened.

Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.

Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
by it.

But yeah, McDonalds should put a warning sticker on their coffee:
POURING THIS ON YOUR GENITALS MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!

They should also have a warning sticker on their apple pie: PUSHING
THIS UP YER BUM MAY RUIN YOUR EVENING!
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:41:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:06:21 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
>
>>
>>Read what actually happened.
>
>Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
>takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
>attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
>McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.

You missed an adjective. The real reason McDonalds lost in court was
because they were serving *dangerously* hot coffee. Basically, it was
served near the boiling point of water (e.g. 82 degrees or 180 fahrenheit),
as opposed to the more conventional temperature of 57 degrees or 135
fahrenheit.

Consider McD's coffee to be the equivalent as recently boiling water - the
only difference here is that McD's coffee is assumed to be safe to drink at
the time it is served. FYI, the person in question suffered a critical
third-degree burn, which is considered the most dangerous class of burns.
(Normally, 10% is required for critical status, but any part of face,
hands, feet, or genitals is an exception for critical third degree).

Normal coffee temperatures is more equivalent to Hot Chocolate nuked in a
microwave. It's hot, but should never cause anything more serious than a
second degree burn. Should it be a case where the user accidently spills on
his or her lap and burn the genitals, it would be no more than a moderate
1st or 2nd degree burn (even if it burns face, hands, feet, or genitals).

>Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
>by it.

This is the only correct assumption - you can get burned by coffee.

However, a person should not expect to get a third degree burn (which
destroys skin rather than damaging it) when served hot coffee - especially
when it is implied that it is safe to drink.

P.S. If the coffee was supposed to be that hot, than a company with the
legal resources as McDonalds would easily get the case thrown out without
any problem - or otherwise manage to punish the individual that abuses the
court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.
June 1, 2005 1:23:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Raymond Martineau wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:06:21 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
> <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>>Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
>>
>>
>>>Read what actually happened.
>>
>>Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
>>takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
>>attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
>>McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.
>
>
> You missed an adjective. The real reason McDonalds lost in court was
> because they were serving *dangerously* hot coffee. Basically, it was
> served near the boiling point of water (e.g. 82 degrees or 180 fahrenheit),
> as opposed to the more conventional temperature of 57 degrees or 135
> fahrenheit.
>
> Consider McD's coffee to be the equivalent as recently boiling water - the
> only difference here is that McD's coffee is assumed to be safe to drink at
> the time it is served. FYI, the person in question suffered a critical
> third-degree burn, which is considered the most dangerous class of burns.
> (Normally, 10% is required for critical status, but any part of face,
> hands, feet, or genitals is an exception for critical third degree).
>
> Normal coffee temperatures is more equivalent to Hot Chocolate nuked in a
> microwave. It's hot, but should never cause anything more serious than a
> second degree burn. Should it be a case where the user accidently spills on
> his or her lap and burn the genitals, it would be no more than a moderate
> 1st or 2nd degree burn (even if it burns face, hands, feet, or genitals).
>
>
>>Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
>>by it.
>
>
> This is the only correct assumption - you can get burned by coffee.
>
> However, a person should not expect to get a third degree burn (which
> destroys skin rather than damaging it) when served hot coffee - especially
> when it is implied that it is safe to drink.
>
> P.S. If the coffee was supposed to be that hot, than a company with the
> legal resources as McDonalds would easily get the case thrown out without
> any problem - or otherwise manage to punish the individual that abuses the
> court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
> allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.

Decent source:

http://www.atla.org/pressroom/FACTS/frivolous/Mcdonalds...

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

>>>Read what actually happened.
>>
>>Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
>>takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
>>attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
>>McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.
>
>You missed an adjective. The real reason McDonalds lost in court was
>because they were serving *dangerously* hot coffee. Basically, it was
>served near the boiling point of water (e.g. 82 degrees or 180 fahrenheit),
>as opposed to the more conventional temperature of 57 degrees or 135
>fahrenheit.

I don't know about your, but my coffee machine brews at 75C (167F).
It's plenty hot to get burns if I was to, say, pour it in my crotch.

You can get scalded by coffee. Everyone knows this.

Hot water is dangerous. Perhaps people tend to forget that, as they
deal with boiling water pretty much every day. Pour that water from
boiling eggs over your leg, and you've got a life-threatening injury.

>Consider McD's coffee to be the equivalent as recently boiling water - the
>only difference here is that McD's coffee is assumed to be safe to drink at
>the time it is served.

It is?
By whom?

>FYI, the person in question suffered a critical
>third-degree burn, which is considered the most dangerous class of burns.

The severity of the damage has no bearing on this, the question is if
any reasonable person would expect to get burns by pouring freshly
brewed coffee in her lap.

Common sense and personal responsibility isn't dead because it's
McDonalds serving.

>court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
>allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.

You don't say. Where might that be?
How about jury systems. Do they always act predictably?
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:59:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Memnoch wrote:
>
> Wrong! It says it requires an internet connection. Looking at the back of my
> DVD case it has, under minimum requirements, under the section 'Other', and I
> quote "Internet Connection" and "DVD-ROM drive". At NO point does it mention
> requiring broadband internet access. Sorry, but if you can't even be bothered
> to read the mimimum requirements then that's your fault. It also mentions that
> you need a 1.2GHz processor and 256MB RAM. If you didn't match either of those
> would you still have come moaning here! I don't think so. If you think this is
> some kind of personal attack then you are wrong. It just seems to be another
> example of people not reading before they buy.
>

I think you are misunderstanding the point that was being made (at
least the way I understood it), which I agree with. They *should* put
requires broadband on the box. I have a friend that purchased this
game. He has dial-up and has been unable to play because of the rather
large patch he is required to download. After his multi-hour download
blew up, he gave up on it and is apparently out the money for the game
now.

I don't generally play FPS so I can't comment on any of this
first-hand.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:30:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
>
>>
>>Read what actually happened.
>
>Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
>takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
>attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
>McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.
>
>Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
>by it.

You left out a few details - let me guess you didn't bother reading it
either.

* During discovery, McDonald's produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebeck's. This history documented McDonald's knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

* McDonald's also said during discovery that, based on a consultant's advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste.
o Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures
than at McDonald's.
o Coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

McDonald's own quality assurance manager testified that a burn hazard
exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above and that
McDonald's coffee was not fit for consumption because it would burn the
mouth and throat.

The quality assurance manager further testified that the company
actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185
degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that while burns
would occur, McDonald's had no intention of reducing the "holding
temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiff's expert, a scholar in thermodynamics as applied to human skin
burns, testified that liquids at 180 degrees will cause a full thickness
burn to human skin in two to seven seconds.

McDonald's asserted that customers buy coffee on their way to work or
home, intending to consume it there. However, the company's own research
showed that customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while
driving.


There's a slight difference between "coffee is hot" and "this coffee is
so hot it's not fit for human consumption."

Just a little bit different than you're making it out to be.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
June 1, 2005 6:01:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 1 Jun 2005 00:49:47 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Chadwick wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>how steam promotes and forces pc gamers into piracy has already
>been discussed in yet another of my now historic posts in this
>group...

ITYM "hysterical."

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 7:33:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

rob wrote:
> "Terry" wrote
>
> > Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
> >
> > A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
> >
> > When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
> > conversation.
>
>
> I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play. It
> was on the day of release so the servers were probably being hammered.
> I was ready for offline mode sometime the next day and have never turned the
> online switch back on.

Try doing this a few months after release. Now you'll be required to
download a large patch.

Buying after release and turning off the online switch after activation
was smart. Unfortunately it's a little late for new dial-up customers.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:59:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

>P.S. If the coffee was supposed to be that hot, than a company with the
>legal resources as McDonalds would easily get the case thrown out without
>any problem - or otherwise manage to punish the individual that abuses the
>court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
>allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.

The other point that morons are ignoring is that the McDs in question
had been sanctioned before for repeated burn injuries to employees due
to coffee kept at a dangerously high temperature.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:32:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 1 Jun 2005 00:49:47 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Chadwick wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>how steam promotes and forces pc gamers into piracy has already
>been discussed in yet another of my now historic posts in this
>group...
>but cause i know you have a very weak memory i'll repeat what
>i've said in the past

Please, in the name of all that is holy, don't!
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:47:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:06:40 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

>
>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>news:h30s91p1caii7rk2er0ocl41ounv9q2lh1@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:48:51 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>If this game needed broadband then it should have said so
>>>on the box. They didnt put this on the box because it
>>>would have limited sales.
>>
>> Wrong! It says it requires an internet connection. Looking at the back of
>> my
>> DVD case it has, under minimum requirements, under the section 'Other',
>> and I
>> quote "Internet Connection" and "DVD-ROM drive". At NO point does it
>> mention
>> requiring broadband internet access. Sorry, but if you can't even be
>> bothered
>> to read the mimimum requirements then that's your fault. It also mentions
>> that
>> you need a 1.2GHz processor and 256MB RAM. If you didn't match either of
>> those
>> would you still have come moaning here! I don't think so. If you think
>> this is
>> some kind of personal attack then you are wrong. It just seems to be
>> another
>> example of people not reading before they buy.
>>
>>>This was the first of a kind for a single player game.
>>>People had no idea are are entitled to feel ripped off.
>>
>> Or perhaps Valve were mistaken that people could even read the back of the
>> box..............
>
>Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
>
>A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
>
>When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
>conversation.

Fair enough. Then broadband is not a requirement as you suggest but a
recommendation. Like many companies do perhaps Valve should have included a
minimum and recommend requirements listing. Be honest Terry and tell me
whether you would have still bought it if it said that braodband was
recommended?
June 2, 2005 11:40:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Terry" wrote

> Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
>
> A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
>
> When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
> conversation.


I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play. It
was on the day of release so the servers were probably being hammered.
I was ready for offline mode sometime the next day and have never turned the
online switch back on.
June 2, 2005 11:40:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:40:00 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> dared
speak in front of ME:

>
>"Terry" wrote
>
>> Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
>>
>> A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
>>
>> When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
>> conversation.
>
>I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play.

Is that what these folks are whining about? What a bunch of wussies.
It took me almost 6 hours to download the MtGO client over dialup, not
counting con drops.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
June 2, 2005 11:40:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:haone.4553$U4.642245@news.xtra.co.nz...
>
> "Terry" wrote
>
>> Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
>>
>> A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
>>
>> When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
>> conversation.
>
>
> I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play. It
> was on the day of release so the servers were probably being hammered.
> I was ready for offline mode sometime the next day and have never turned
> the online switch back on.
>
>
>
It took 2.5 hours on the day of release.
The patch is now in the 100's meg.
Please try it again.

Regards
!