to do in future "boiling point" discussions

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

we all see boiling point expectations are getting bigger and
bigger by the day and when it finally gets released in the us
we will see a flood of posts from the many anxious pc gamers
wanting to talk about it
now the question is... will this group accept discussing with
criminal pirates?
lets face it... from the possible 100 plus different posters
will have in the following days discussing probably 50% stole
the game and should we pretend its not our business?
should we let pirates discuss with us and knowing they have
stolen not only from the developer and publisher of the game
but also from us?
so my proposal to this group is simple
in every future boiling point thread related to gameplay every
poster must disclose in the beginning if he bought or not the
game
for those posters who refuse to disclose it i propose all off
us boycott and ignore that particular person
yes i agree its an extreme measure... but i believe its we who
must fight against piracy
pc gamers should start doing justice among themselves
its almost like self regulation
remember the great charles bronson in death wish?
lets deal with pirates yourselves!
if this works in this group you can ambition for greater things
in the future
fight against piracy!
protect pc games!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On 28 May 2005 23:24:07 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >we all see boiling point expectations are getting bigger and
    >bigger by the day and when it finally gets released in the us
    >we will see a flood of posts from the many anxious pc gamers
    >wanting to talk about it
    >now the question is... will this group accept discussing with
    >criminal pirates?
    >lets face it... from the possible 100 plus different posters
    >will have in the following days discussing probably 50% stole
    >the game and should we pretend its not our business?
    >should we let pirates discuss with us and knowing they have
    >stolen not only from the developer and publisher of the game
    >but also from us?
    >so my proposal to this group is simple
    >in every future boiling point thread related to gameplay every
    >poster must disclose in the beginning if he bought or not the
    >game
    >for those posters who refuse to disclose it i propose all off
    >us boycott and ignore that particular person
    >yes i agree its an extreme measure... but i believe its we who
    >must fight against piracy
    >pc gamers should start doing justice among themselves
    >its almost like self regulation
    >remember the great charles bronson in death wish?
    >lets deal with pirates yourselves!
    >if this works in this group you can ambition for greater things
    >in the future
    >fight against piracy!
    >protect pc games!

    As Wally has quite correctly pointed out, we should never
    reply to you.....
    But assuming that there is something else between your ears
    other than wet sawdust, then listen up... Yes, I am indeed
    'talking' to you, steamKILLER....
    To comply with your own instructions in this thread,
    please provide the rest of us with specifics of your own
    pre-order or purchase of BOILING POINT before ever
    again posting ANYTHING to ANY thread discussing
    this game ---starting RIGHT NOW!!! And similarly to
    threads on any other games...........

    Do you have NOTHING better to do with your life than
    to hijack bandwidth in these newsgroups with your pointless
    repetitive ramblings ?

    If you actually bought some games and got involved in
    meaningful discussions on those games, you might earn
    some respect. But since it is obvious that you never buy
    any games and parrot other people's opinions or advice
    ( in long rambling diatribes ) then expect to be always
    treated like a parasite. Now, please GO AWAY from all
    of the games newsgroups that you haunt until you have
    something useful and NEW to say about the GAMES
    themselves.

    John Lewis

    >--
    >post made in a steam-free computer
    >i said "NO" to valve and steam

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > To comply with your own instructions in this thread,
    > please provide the rest of us with specifics of your own
    > pre-order or purchase of BOILING POINT before ever
    > again posting ANYTHING to ANY thread discussing
    > this game ---starting RIGHT NOW!!! And similarly to
    > threads on any other games...........
    >
    > Do you have NOTHING better to do with your life than
    > to hijack bandwidth in these newsgroups with your pointless
    > repetitive ramblings ?

    Why don't you filter him as I did? Then I won't have to read your post
    reposting his repetitive ramblings? Why don't you do that, starting RIGHT
    NOW! Do you have NOTHING better to do than argue with a lunatic deprived of
    his lithium ?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > we all see boiling point expectations are getting bigger and
    > bigger by the day and when it finally gets released in the us
    > we will see a flood of posts from the many anxious pc gamers
    > wanting to talk about it
    > now the question is... will this group accept discussing with
    > criminal pirates?
    > lets face it... from the possible 100 plus different posters
    > will have in the following days discussing probably 50% stole
    > the game and should we pretend its not our business?
    > should we let pirates discuss with us and knowing they have
    > stolen not only from the developer and publisher of the game
    > but also from us?
    > so my proposal to this group is simple
    > in every future boiling point thread related to gameplay every
    > poster must disclose in the beginning if he bought or not the
    > game
    > for those posters who refuse to disclose it i propose all off
    > us boycott and ignore that particular person
    > yes i agree its an extreme measure... but i believe its we who
    > must fight against piracy
    > pc gamers should start doing justice among themselves
    > its almost like self regulation
    > remember the great charles bronson in death wish?
    > lets deal with pirates yourselves!
    > if this works in this group you can ambition for greater things
    > in the future
    > fight against piracy!
    > protect pc games!
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam

    I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
    ripping us off.

    Regards
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:46:22 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
    >ripping us off.

    How did they rip you off exactly? Did they do something to force you to steal
    the game? I bought the DVD edition and in no way do I feel ripped off. Pretty
    lame excuse for piracy if you ask me. If you just came out and said "I can't
    afford it!" then at least that would sound believable.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:46:22 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
    >>ripping us off.
    >
    > How did they rip you off exactly? Did they do something to force you to
    > steal
    > the game? I bought the DVD edition and in no way do I feel ripped off.
    > Pretty
    > lame excuse for piracy if you ask me. If you just came out and said "I
    > can't
    > afford it!" then at least that would sound believable.

    I paid full price for half life2 and was ripped off.
    See other threads for the reasons.

    Pirating is for me in the future.

    Regards
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Pirating is for me in the future.

    As is impersonating Yoda, I see.
    Pretty bleak future, then. One game rips you off and you turn to crimanal
    means to get what you want.
    Good luck, loser.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "TheLoanArranger" <somewhere@wallawallawalla.com> wrote in message
    > > Pirating is for me in the future.
    >
    > As is impersonating Yoda, I see.
    > Pretty bleak future, then. One game rips you off and you turn to crimanal
    > means to get what you want.
    > Good luck, loser.

    I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
    I intend to get my money back.

    I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
    nobody does anything about it.

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
    > I intend to get my money back.
    >
    > I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
    > nobody does anything about it.

    You only need to pirate one or two games from valve to get your money back,
    since the cost of buying HL2 is less than the cost of two new games. After
    that, you are pirating because you are a pathetic juvenile with social
    problems, making it a frightening prospect to get a summer job that will pay
    for your lonely life in front of the computer. Don't bother replying, you
    won't get a follow-up from me. Looks like I need to filter freeserve too...
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
    > "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
    >> I intend to get my money back.
    >>
    >> I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
    >> nobody does anything about it.
    >>

    > You only need to pirate one or two games from valve to get your money
    > back, since the cost of buying HL2 is less than the cost of two new games.
    > After that, you are pirating because you are a pathetic juvenile with
    > social problems, making it a frightening prospect to get a summer job that
    > will pay for your lonely life in front of the computer. Don't bother
    > replying, you won't get a follow-up from me. Looks like I need to filter
    > freeserve too...

    A very old juvenile :-)

    Thusly "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> Spake Unto All:

    >I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
    >nobody does anything about it.

    I know I shouldn't ask but... How, exactly, did valve/steam rip you
    off?
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > Why don't you filter him as I did? Then I won't have to read your post
    > reposting his repetitive ramblings? Why don't you do that, starting RIGHT
    > NOW! Do you have NOTHING better to do than argue with a lunatic deprived
    > of his lithium ?

    p.s. I'm not really angry, just imitating the tone of your own post.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > x-no-archive: yes
    <snip>
    > I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
    > ripping us off.
    >
    > Regards

    Steamkiller found one pirate.

    I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
    The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
    The US Gov is taxing me too much.
    Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
    My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.

    People will pay for this!

    (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message

    > "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > x-no-archive: yes
    > <snip>
    >> I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
    >> ripping us off.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>

    > Steamkiller found one pirate.
    >
    > I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
    > The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
    > The US Gov is taxing me too much.
    > Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
    > My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
    >
    > People will pay for this!
    >
    > (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)

    LOL
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 May 2005 07:41:44 -0400, "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca>
    wrote:

    >"Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I only intend to pirate future valve/steam games.
    >> I intend to get my money back.
    >>
    >> I regard it as criminal to get ripped off by valve/steam but
    >> nobody does anything about it.
    >>

    >You only need to pirate one or two games from valve to get your money back,
    >since the cost of buying HL2 is less than the cost of two new games.

    ( $37.99 @ Fry's this weekend... still trying to get rid of their
    inventory. )

    John Lewis
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message

    > "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > x-no-archive: yes
    > <snip>
    > > I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
    > > ripping us off.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >

    > Steamkiller found one pirate.
    >
    > I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
    > The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
    > The US Gov is taxing me too much.
    > Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
    > My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
    >
    > People will pay for this!
    >
    > (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)

    The difference is, with video games it's very easy to pirate and "even the
    scale" and it's easy to argue that no one is getting hurt by it. IMO, were
    it just as easy to get back at sears, wendy's and the US government, then
    more people would do so without moral dilemna.

  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    John Lewis wrote:

    <snip>

    since two days ago were you told us if valve payed you then
    you would be in there side its enough for me too see what
    kind of person you really are
    as for you wanting me to leave, you do your job mister you
    protect and promote pc games focus on that and leave me
    alone cause what this group needs is more pc gamers and not
    less is more promoting and protection of pc games and not
    less

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Terry wrote:

    <snip>

    please Terry don't do it! PLEASE!
    its what valve want us to become!
    steam is the first system to officially promote piracy and
    valve wants every pc gamer against steam to become a criminal
    its there plan from the start!
    don't let them do it!
    resist! fight! don't let them turn you into a criminal!
    valve wants an excuse... and the excuse is... pc gamers are
    all criminals so we need a system like steam
    steam is a prison! a PRISON!
    and valve excuse to use a prison system in pc games is we
    all becoming criminal pirates!
    PLEASE TERRY DON'T LET VALVE TURN YOU INTO A CRIMINAL!
    DON'T LET VALVE HAVE THE EXCUSE TO PUT YOU IN STEAM PRISON!

    i will never ever accept steam! ever!
    but i will also never ever pirate a pc game!
    that's really the only way to fight valve
    not accepting steam and not become the criminal they want us
    to be
    valve wants more and more piracy... more and more criminals
    so they will present steam as the savior to the industry
    so they will turn pc games into a gigantic PRISON called steam!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message

    > "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > > > I will stop pirating when people like Steam/Valve stop
    > > > ripping us off.
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > >

    > > Steamkiller found one pirate.
    > >
    > > I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
    > > The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
    > > The US Gov is taxing me too much.
    > > Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
    > > My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
    > >
    > > People will pay for this!
    > >
    > > (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)
    >
    > The difference is, with video games it's very easy to pirate and "even the
    > scale" and it's easy to argue that no one is getting hurt by it. IMO,
    were
    > it just as easy to get back at sears, wendy's and the US government, then
    > more people would do so without moral dilemna.

    The day that the lady from Wendy's claimed to have found a finger in her
    chilli, I chopped off two of my fingers and one thumb. High hopes I had as
    I drove to McDs, Burger King, and Taco Bell. Dollar signs filled my vision
    as I accidently missed my turn due to no thumb and two less digits.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    The bunny above tells us.....

    ".....went to Sears .....got ripped off.....
    The burger ......didn't have the cheese ......I ordered.
    ........US Gov is taxing.... ........
    ......idiot in a car cut me .....other day.
    .....neighbor's dog peed on...lawn.
    People will pay for this!...."

    And some pig-head cuts your n.group post up to try n make some silly
    point.....like.....u obveouly should forget all bout likes of Boiing
    Point...
    and get ......POSTAL (the second one is the nearest to
    unpleasent-real-life )..POSTAL 2..
    luv mouse
    @@@@@@
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Terry wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > please Terry don't do it! PLEASE!
    > its what valve want us to become!
    > steam is the first system to officially promote piracy and
    > valve wants every pc gamer against steam to become a criminal
    > its there plan from the start!
    > don't let them do it!
    > resist! fight! don't let them turn you into a criminal!
    > valve wants an excuse... and the excuse is... pc gamers are
    > all criminals so we need a system like steam
    > steam is a prison! a PRISON!
    > and valve excuse to use a prison system in pc games is we
    > all becoming criminal pirates!
    > PLEASE TERRY DON'T LET VALVE TURN YOU INTO A CRIMINAL!
    > DON'T LET VALVE HAVE THE EXCUSE TO PUT YOU IN STEAM PRISON!
    >
    > i will never ever accept steam! ever!
    > but i will also never ever pirate a pc game!
    > that's really the only way to fight valve
    > not accepting steam and not become the criminal they want us
    > to be
    > valve wants more and more piracy... more and more criminals
    > so they will present steam as the savior to the industry
    > so they will turn pc games into a gigantic PRISON called steam!
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam

    Sounds a little paranoid :-)

    Regards
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > > <snip>

    > > > Steamkiller found one pirate.
    > > >
    > > > I went to Sears the other day and got ripped off.
    > > > The burger from Wendy's didn't have the cheese on it that I ordered.
    > > > The US Gov is taxing me too much.
    > > > Some idiot in a car cut me off the other day.
    > > > My neighbor's dog peed on my lawn.
    > > >
    > > > People will pay for this!
    > > >
    > > > (and my wife doesn't think that I'm funny)
    > >
    > > The difference is, with video games it's very easy to pirate and "even
    the
    > > scale" and it's easy to argue that no one is getting hurt by it. IMO,
    > were
    > > it just as easy to get back at sears, wendy's and the US government,
    then
    > > more people would do so without moral dilemna.
    > >

    > The day that the lady from Wendy's claimed to have found a finger in her
    > chilli, I chopped off two of my fingers and one thumb. High hopes I had
    as
    > I drove to McDs, Burger King, and Taco Bell. Dollar signs filled my
    vision
    > as I accidently missed my turn due to no thumb and two less digits.

    I think that was thrown out along with the hot coffee case from years ago.
    Outrageous cases like those are hardly the norm, but ridiculous all the
    same.

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Terry wrote:

    <snip>

    blame it on valve
    valve is the one totally paranoid
    look at the way they sell a simple game, you need to:
    .. identify yourself to be able to play the game
    .. you need to ask for permission to play the game
    .. they keep track of every time you play the game
    .. its they who control when to patch and what version to play
    .. they force you to install and always run a program with the
    only function to monitor your gaming habits
    now Terry tell me who is the paranoid after all?
    VALVE off course!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > steam is the first system to officially promote piracy and
    > valve wants every pc gamer against steam to become a criminal
    > its there plan from the start!

    I've read the Readme, the instructions and the back of the box several
    times now and I cannot find the bit that promotes piracy. There's a
    whole bunch of stuff against it, and they've even made the game so that
    I can't copy it and give it to my friends. But I cannot find any
    official endorsement or promotion of piracy.

    Was it in a press release, or are you just making it up?
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Terry wrote:
    > "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > How did they rip you off exactly? Did they do something to force you to
    > > steal
    > > the game? I bought the DVD edition and in no way do I feel ripped off.
    > > Pretty
    > > lame excuse for piracy if you ask me. If you just came out and said "I
    > > can't
    > > afford it!" then at least that would sound believable.
    >
    > I paid full price for half life2 and was ripped off.
    > See other threads for the reasons.

    You're saying that you think the game should have been priced lower?
    That you paid too much for it? And that it's therefore OK to steal more
    games until you feel the balance is settled?

    Gee. I paid a lot of money for my car, and it's depreciated so rapidly
    that I now think I paid too much. By your logic, it's OK to go and
    steal another one.

    You're either a troll (in which case well done) or a twat.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 30 May 2005 00:32:59 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >John Lewis wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >since two days ago were you told us if valve payed you then
    >you would be in there side its enough for me too see what
    >kind of person you really are
    >as for you wanting me to leave, you do your job mister you
    >protect and promote pc games focus on that and leave me
    >alone cause what this group needs is more pc gamers and not
    >less is more promoting and protection of pc games and not
    >less

    Since you refuse to answer ANY questions that we ask you, it
    is pretty obvious that the only voices that you hear are those
    originating inside your own head............ You had your last chance
    (from me) to dialog in a reasonable fashion in this thread and in
    other threads on the "Boiling Point" theme. You just blew it.

    Sailor and Wally were both right......nobody should reply to any
    of your postings. Best left alone to howl at the moon.........

    <PLONK>

    John Lewis

    >--
    >post made in a steam-free computer
    >i said "NO" to valve and steam

  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
    spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
    <snip>
    >> The day that the lady from Wendy's claimed to have found a finger in her
    >> chilli, I chopped off two of my fingers and one thumb. High hopes I had
    >as
    >> I drove to McDs, Burger King, and Taco Bell. Dollar signs filled my
    >vision
    >> as I accidently missed my turn due to no thumb and two less digits.
    >
    >I think that was thrown out along with the hot coffee case from years ago.
    >Outrageous cases like those are hardly the norm, but ridiculous all the
    >same.

    Sounds like you have no idea at all about the "hot coffee case" other
    than those stupid "woman spills coffee on self, sues for billions"
    stories.

    Read what actually happened.

    http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

    Xocyll
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:

    >Read what actually happened.

    Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
    takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
    attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
    McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.

    Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
    by it.

    But yeah, McDonalds should put a warning sticker on their coffee:
    POURING THIS ON YOUR GENITALS MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH!

    They should also have a warning sticker on their apple pie: PUSHING
    THIS UP YER BUM MAY RUIN YOUR EVENING!
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:06:21 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
    >

    >>Read what actually happened.
    >
    >Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
    >takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
    >attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
    >McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.

    You missed an adjective. The real reason McDonalds lost in court was
    because they were serving *dangerously* hot coffee. Basically, it was
    served near the boiling point of water (e.g. 82 degrees or 180 fahrenheit),
    as opposed to the more conventional temperature of 57 degrees or 135
    fahrenheit.

    Consider McD's coffee to be the equivalent as recently boiling water - the
    only difference here is that McD's coffee is assumed to be safe to drink at
    the time it is served. FYI, the person in question suffered a critical
    third-degree burn, which is considered the most dangerous class of burns.
    (Normally, 10% is required for critical status, but any part of face,
    hands, feet, or genitals is an exception for critical third degree).

    Normal coffee temperatures is more equivalent to Hot Chocolate nuked in a
    microwave. It's hot, but should never cause anything more serious than a
    second degree burn. Should it be a case where the user accidently spills on
    his or her lap and burn the genitals, it would be no more than a moderate
    1st or 2nd degree burn (even if it burns face, hands, feet, or genitals).

    >Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
    >by it.

    This is the only correct assumption - you can get burned by coffee.

    However, a person should not expect to get a third degree burn (which
    destroys skin rather than damaging it) when served hot coffee - especially
    when it is implied that it is safe to drink.

    P.S. If the coffee was supposed to be that hot, than a company with the
    legal resources as McDonalds would easily get the case thrown out without
    any problem - or otherwise manage to punish the individual that abuses the
    court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
    allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Raymond Martineau wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:06:21 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
    > <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
    >>

    >>>Read what actually happened.
    >>
    >>Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
    >>takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
    >>attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
    >>McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.
    >

    > You missed an adjective. The real reason McDonalds lost in court was
    > because they were serving *dangerously* hot coffee. Basically, it was
    > served near the boiling point of water (e.g. 82 degrees or 180 fahrenheit),
    > as opposed to the more conventional temperature of 57 degrees or 135
    > fahrenheit.
    >
    > Consider McD's coffee to be the equivalent as recently boiling water - the
    > only difference here is that McD's coffee is assumed to be safe to drink at
    > the time it is served. FYI, the person in question suffered a critical
    > third-degree burn, which is considered the most dangerous class of burns.
    > (Normally, 10% is required for critical status, but any part of face,
    > hands, feet, or genitals is an exception for critical third degree).
    >
    > Normal coffee temperatures is more equivalent to Hot Chocolate nuked in a
    > microwave. It's hot, but should never cause anything more serious than a
    > second degree burn. Should it be a case where the user accidently spills on
    > his or her lap and burn the genitals, it would be no more than a moderate
    > 1st or 2nd degree burn (even if it burns face, hands, feet, or genitals).
    >

    >>Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
    >>by it.
    >

    > This is the only correct assumption - you can get burned by coffee.
    >
    > However, a person should not expect to get a third degree burn (which
    > destroys skin rather than damaging it) when served hot coffee - especially
    > when it is implied that it is safe to drink.
    >
    > P.S. If the coffee was supposed to be that hot, than a company with the
    > legal resources as McDonalds would easily get the case thrown out without
    > any problem - or otherwise manage to punish the individual that abuses the
    > court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
    > allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.

    Decent source:

    http://www.atla.org/pressroom/FACTS/frivolous/McdonaldsCoffeecase.aspx

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.

    Thusly bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) Spake Unto All:

    >>>Read what actually happened.
    >>
    >>Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
    >>takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
    >>attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
    >>McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.
    >
    >You missed an adjective. The real reason McDonalds lost in court was
    >because they were serving *dangerously* hot coffee. Basically, it was
    >served near the boiling point of water (e.g. 82 degrees or 180 fahrenheit),
    >as opposed to the more conventional temperature of 57 degrees or 135
    >fahrenheit.

    I don't know about your, but my coffee machine brews at 75C (167F).
    It's plenty hot to get burns if I was to, say, pour it in my crotch.

    You can get scalded by coffee. Everyone knows this.

    Hot water is dangerous. Perhaps people tend to forget that, as they
    deal with boiling water pretty much every day. Pour that water from
    boiling eggs over your leg, and you've got a life-threatening injury.

    >Consider McD's coffee to be the equivalent as recently boiling water - the
    >only difference here is that McD's coffee is assumed to be safe to drink at
    >the time it is served.

    It is?
    By whom?

    >FYI, the person in question suffered a critical
    >third-degree burn, which is considered the most dangerous class of burns.

    The severity of the damage has no bearing on this, the question is if
    any reasonable person would expect to get burns by pouring freshly
    brewed coffee in her lap.

    Common sense and personal responsibility isn't dead because it's
    McDonalds serving.

    >court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
    >allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.

    You don't say. Where might that be?
    How about jury systems. Do they always act predictably?
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Memnoch wrote:

    > Wrong! It says it requires an internet connection. Looking at the back of my
    > DVD case it has, under minimum requirements, under the section 'Other', and I
    > quote "Internet Connection" and "DVD-ROM drive". At NO point does it mention
    > requiring broadband internet access. Sorry, but if you can't even be bothered
    > to read the mimimum requirements then that's your fault. It also mentions that
    > you need a 1.2GHz processor and 256MB RAM. If you didn't match either of those
    > would you still have come moaning here! I don't think so. If you think this is
    > some kind of personal attack then you are wrong. It just seems to be another
    > example of people not reading before they buy.

    I think you are misunderstanding the point that was being made (at
    least the way I understood it), which I agree with. They *should* put
    requires broadband on the box. I have a friend that purchased this
    game. He has dial-up and has been unable to play because of the rather
    large patch he is required to download. After his multi-hour download
    blew up, he gave up on it and is apparently out the money for the game
    now.

    I don't generally play FPS so I can't comment on any of this
    first-hand.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> looked up from reading
    the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
    signs say:

    >Thusly Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> Spake Unto All:
    >

    >>Read what actually happened.
    >
    >Hm, lessee... woman clamps coffemug between her thies in the car,
    >takes off the lid, mug collapses, and the coffee spills in her lap,
    >attempts to settle with McDonalds for $20000, McDonald refuses, and
    >McDonald loses in court on the grounds that they serve too hot coffee.
    >
    >Well, kids: Coffee is hot. It's supposed to be hot. You can get burned
    >by it.

    You left out a few details - let me guess you didn't bother reading it
    either.

    * During discovery, McDonald's produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebeck's. This history documented McDonald's knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

    * McDonald's also said during discovery that, based on a consultant's advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste.
    o Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures
    than at McDonald's.
    o Coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

    McDonald's own quality assurance manager testified that a burn hazard
    exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above and that
    McDonald's coffee was not fit for consumption because it would burn the
    mouth and throat.

    The quality assurance manager further testified that the company
    actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185
    degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that while burns
    would occur, McDonald's had no intention of reducing the "holding
    temperature" of its coffee.

    Plaintiff's expert, a scholar in thermodynamics as applied to human skin
    burns, testified that liquids at 180 degrees will cause a full thickness
    burn to human skin in two to seven seconds.

    McDonald's asserted that customers buy coffee on their way to work or
    home, intending to consume it there. However, the company's own research
    showed that customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while
    driving.

    There's a slight difference between "coffee is hot" and "this coffee is
    so hot it's not fit for human consumption."

    Just a little bit different than you're making it out to be.

    Xocyll
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 1 Jun 2005 00:49:47 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    dared speak in front of ME:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >Chadwick wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >how steam promotes and forces pc gamers into piracy has already
    >been discussed in yet another of my now historic posts in this
    >group...

    ITYM "hysterical."

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from

  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    rob wrote:
    > "Terry" wrote
    >
    > > Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
    > >
    > > A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
    > >
    > > When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
    > > conversation.
    >

    > I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play. It
    > was on the day of release so the servers were probably being hammered.
    > I was ready for offline mode sometime the next day and have never turned the
    > online switch back on.

    Try doing this a few months after release. Now you'll be required to
    download a large patch.

    Buying after release and turning off the online switch after activation
    was smart. Unfortunately it's a little late for new dial-up customers.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >P.S. If the coffee was supposed to be that hot, than a company with the
    >legal resources as McDonalds would easily get the case thrown out without
    >any problem - or otherwise manage to punish the individual that abuses the
    >court system. The only exception is with whacked up legal systems that
    >allow malicious lawsuits to proceed to the final stages.

    The other point that morons are ignoring is that the McDs in question
    had been sanctioned before for repeated burn injuries to employees due
    to coffee kept at a dangerously high temperature.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 1 Jun 2005 00:49:47 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >Chadwick wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >how steam promotes and forces pc gamers into piracy has already
    >been discussed in yet another of my now historic posts in this
    >group...
    >but cause i know you have a very weak memory i'll repeat what
    >i've said in the past

    Please, in the name of all that is holy, don't!
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:06:40 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:48:51 +0100, "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If this game needed broadband then it should have said so
    >>>on the box. They didnt put this on the box because it
    >>>would have limited sales.
    >>
    >> Wrong! It says it requires an internet connection. Looking at the back of
    >> my
    >> DVD case it has, under minimum requirements, under the section 'Other',
    >> and I
    >> quote "Internet Connection" and "DVD-ROM drive". At NO point does it
    >> mention
    >> requiring broadband internet access. Sorry, but if you can't even be
    >> bothered
    >> to read the mimimum requirements then that's your fault. It also mentions
    >> that
    >> you need a 1.2GHz processor and 256MB RAM. If you didn't match either of
    >> those
    >> would you still have come moaning here! I don't think so. If you think
    >> this is
    >> some kind of personal attack then you are wrong. It just seems to be
    >> another
    >> example of people not reading before they buy.
    >>
    >>>This was the first of a kind for a single player game.
    >>>People had no idea are are entitled to feel ripped off.
    >>
    >> Or perhaps Valve were mistaken that people could even read the back of the
    >> box..............
    >
    >Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
    >
    >A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
    >
    >When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
    >conversation.

    Fair enough. Then broadband is not a requirement as you suggest but a
    recommendation. Like many companies do perhaps Valve should have included a
    minimum and recommend requirements listing. Be honest Terry and tell me
    whether you would have still bought it if it said that braodband was
    recommended?
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Terry" wrote

    > Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
    >
    > A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
    >
    > When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
    > conversation.

    I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play. It
    was on the day of release so the servers were probably being hammered.
    I was ready for offline mode sometime the next day and have never turned the
    online switch back on.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:40:00 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> dared
    speak in front of ME:

    >"Terry" wrote
    >
    >> Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
    >>
    >> A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
    >>
    >> When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
    >> conversation.
    >
    >I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play.

    Is that what these folks are whining about? What a bunch of wussies.
    It took me almost 6 hours to download the MtGO client over dialup, not
    counting con drops.

    --
    Address no longer works.
    try removing all numbers from
    gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

    > "Terry" wrote
    >
    >> Have you tried enstalling HL2 with a dial up connection. ?
    >>
    >> A dial up connection is an 'internet connection' as defined on the box.
    >>
    >> When you have tried installing with a dialup we can resume this
    >> conversation.
    >

    > I did, it took about 2 and a half hours from opening the box to play. It
    > was on the day of release so the servers were probably being hammered.
    > I was ready for offline mode sometime the next day and have never turned
    > the online switch back on.

    It took 2.5 hours on the day of release.
    The patch is now in the 100's meg.
    Please try it again.

    Regards

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games Product