Memory woes

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Crucial 256MB PC2100 DDR CL2.5 is now reporting itself as 128MB. Any diagnostics I have run say it is 128MB & working fine... for only 1 boot I got the machine to detect 256MB but only after disconnecting power & removing the ram for 20minutes, on reboot it was detecting 128MB again...

It is running on a Epox Kt266A and I would say this problem is quite recent (only noticed last night), my worry is this a memory problem or a Mobo problem...

I might B able to test the memory on a SiS735 board if I get a chance today or I can afford to go & buy another memory DIMM today & try it as soon as I get home tonite... any suggestions ???

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I'm guessing that it is the BIOS that doesn't recognize the memory (and not the OS). So try updating the BIOS to latest version. That might help. I have a tendency to trust Crucial rather than Epox as far as reliability goes. So my guess is that BIOS is somewhat corrupted. Maybe there are just settings to be readjusted in the BIOS.
Others may have another opinion on this.

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I have had the memory for 8-9 months now...
I can try the bios update, I know it hasnt got the most recent one on it... and I can try the memory in an ECS 735 board...

bastardman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
The same thing happened to my crucial pc2100 256mb dimm. It was a bad dimm. At first it didn't cause any problems, just seemed strange. It wasn't until I switched it into a different system that the problems started. At first it showed the correct size again, but I was getting endless blue screens, all memory related. The errors eventually showed up with memtest86. So I sent it back to crucial for another. Crucial is great about the warranty, they don't give you any hassle.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bastardman on 08/20/02 12:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
its the memory, tried it & it wouldnt boot at all on the Sis board, so I will B contacting local supplier & getting a replacement 2morrow...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is normally indicative of a POWER problem with the board's filter capacitors. I have seen it many times.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ON which board... THe Epox (posts as 128MB fine & passes mem checker p[program) or the Sis735 (will not post with the DDR from the Epox but posts fine with 256MB SDRAM)...

DOes this mean I have a duff Mobo ???

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marneus on 08/21/02 10:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Epox. It's possible that a power problem burned the memory on one side of the module, or that a problem exist right now with the power going to the module. I've had this happen twice, both boards blew capacitors shortly thereafter (and both boards were known to have problems with their low quality capacitors).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anything I can do to find out if this is the case or should I just cross me fingers and pray every 5 minutes that it doesnt blow up ???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would prey that if there is a problem, it will manifest itself, so that you'll know how to fix it! One board I had doing this exploded two capacitors, the other showed 3 swollen. Replacing them is not hard, I'll do it for you if you like for $20. Unless you can get a warranty exchange.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
GOt about 3-4 months B4 it out of its 1yr warranty...
Ah-ha it is the memory, got a mate to test my 256MB... it comes up as 128 for him as well & hes has a brand new (& definately working) KT333 board...

Interesting though Crashman, I will have to keep an eye out for swollen capacitors... cheers though...

PS it might B a bit expensive 2 post U, I is in the UK...

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How hot can memory stand ??
(usually my CPU is 45-50 degree C under load & Mobo is around 35 degrees C...)

I will B swapping in rounded cables & fitting better 8cm case fans soon anyway, I would assume this will help (80x80x25 Fan Kit Thermaltakes(A-2B whatever that means) or Coolermaster Smart Quiet 8cm Case Fans (DAF B81/82 ditto...), undecided but they seem to cost about the same

would it B worth buying a PSU with 2 fans as well or is that a bit overkill... I can get a 500W PSU with 2 fans for about £50 GBP ($70-80 US i think, not much on conversions) ??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, memory can overheat itself if you overclock too far for too long, have dirty voltage, or raise the voltage too high. There is no "memory heat sensor".

TRENDING THREADS