Half Life 2 shutting down my computer! HELP!

Last response: in Video Games
May 29, 2005 10:51:17 AM

HELP! While I'm playing Half Life 2 it randomly shuts down my computer.
What should I do? It's not that the graphic detail is too high, because
I have it pretty low, and wouldn't that only mess up the monitor?
May 29, 2005 7:45:12 PM

Half life 2 wrote:
> HELP! While I'm playing Half Life 2 it randomly shuts down my computer.
> What should I do? It's not that the graphic detail is too high, because
> I have it pretty low, and wouldn't that only mess up the monitor?

Motherboard and Graphics Card details?
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 8:17:02 PM

What are your system specs?

When you state that it shuts down your computer, do you mean it powers off?
Anytime the computer shuts down like that, I suspect its a heat flow issue.

You might want to check the Tech Support & FAQ section on Steam/Valve web
site. Or fire off an email to Tech Support..

"Half life 2" <TFlow06@gmail.com> wrote in message
> HELP! While I'm playing Half Life 2 it randomly shuts down my computer.
> What should I do? It's not that the graphic detail is too high, because
> I have it pretty low, and wouldn't that only mess up the monitor?

May 29, 2005 8:51:56 PM

JAB wrote:
> Half life 2 wrote:
>
>> HELP! While I'm playing Half Life 2 it randomly shuts down my computer.
>> What should I do? It's not that the graphic detail is too high, because
>> I have it pretty low, and wouldn't that only mess up the monitor?
>>

> Motherboard and Graphics Card details?
My initial response would be that either your CPU or video card are
overheating. But as JAB says we need more details...
May 29, 2005 9:18:01 PM

> When you state that it shuts down your computer, do you mean it powers
> off?
> Anytime the computer shuts down like that, I suspect its a heat flow
> issue.

Or power supply problem.

rms
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:40:27 AM

Thusly "Half life 2" <TFlow06@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>HELP! While I'm playing Half Life 2 it randomly shuts down my computer.
>What should I do?

Improve ventilation in and around the computer.

It's almost guaranteed that your computer shuts down because it
overheats.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:12:20 AM

Half life 2 wrote:
> HELP! While I'm playing Half Life 2 it randomly shuts down my computer.
> What should I do? It's not that the graphic detail is too high, because
> I have it pretty low, and wouldn't that only mess up the monitor?

It is the vrfy_crd_check() function of Steam. It checks the credit
card you have on file, and if you don't have enough credit to buy any
add-on packs it shuts down your computer until you come up with some
more money. Sad but I think this is the wave of the future in the
software industry.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:53:48 AM

Inlaw Biker wrote:
> Half life 2 wrote:
> > HELP! While I'm playing Half Life 2 it randomly shuts down my computer.
> > What should I do? It's not that the graphic detail is too high, because
> > I have it pretty low, and wouldn't that only mess up the monitor?
>
> It is the vrfy_crd_check() function of Steam. It checks the credit
> card you have on file, and if you don't have enough credit to buy any
> add-on packs it shuts down your computer until you come up with some
> more money. Sad but I think this is the wave of the future in the
> software industry.

LOL. April Fool's Day was some time ago sadly.

To the OP: Sounds like overheating. Have you got any kind of temp
monitoring on your machine - that might give a clue. Or try taking the
case off and playing - see if it shuts down then.

As others have said, let us know the spec and we might be able to
suggest more positive ideas.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:22:08 PM

mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> To the original poster: steamKILLER (aka "sayNO2steam" aka "difool") is
> a mentally ill person who believes Valve is trying to control the minds
> of gamers through their distribution/authorization system Steam. You
> can, and should, safely ignore anything he says, on any topic, ever.

I could be (and hopefully am) wrong but I think the original post is a
troll also. They've never posted before, and they used a throw-away
account to post. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's just a
sock-puppet of SayNo2Brains.

Knight37
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:06:21 AM

Thusly knight37m@gmail.com Spake Unto All:

>mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>> To the original poster: steamKILLER (aka "sayNO2steam" aka "difool") is
>> a mentally ill person who believes Valve is trying to control the minds
>> of gamers through their distribution/authorization system Steam. You
>> can, and should, safely ignore anything he says, on any topic, ever.
>
>I could be (and hopefully am) wrong but I think the original post is a
>troll also. They've never posted before, and they used a throw-away
>account to post. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's just a
>sock-puppet of SayNo2Brains.

You may be right. It took SayNO2 two months to learn how to use
x-noarchive: yes, so I guess in two months even he may have learned
how to set up sock puppets.

On the other hand, could he fake a whole post without a rant about the
evils of Steam? Wouldn't a sayNO2 puppet be more like...

"
x-noarchive: yes

gReetings comrades!
i Have installed STEAM and now my computer is not worknig!
STEAM forces me to reveal personal information BUT HAV ENO BOX!
PLEASE HELP ME! I CAN NOT SELL TEH GAME! MY CHILDREN ARE STARVING
BECAUSE OF STEAM! "

You know, a setup for SayNO2 to say <randomly insert any post SayNO2
has ever written here>.

On occasion I have toyed with the idea of creating such a sock puppet
for sayNO2 to play with, just to see the effect, but then I come to my
senses.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:57:14 AM

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
with:

> On occasion I have toyed with the idea of creating such a sock puppet
> for sayNO2 to play with, just to see the effect, but then I come to my
> senses.

LOL.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
!