Can't solve wireless connection problems!

Remy5000

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
OK, so I got a new desktop computer with a wireless PCI adaptor card and that seems to be when the problem first started. But I can't tell if it's a problem with the computer or not.

My wireless connection will drop frequently, up to even 6-10 times an hour or it may last for a few hours with no problem. When it happens, the DSL light on my router goes red, and will re-connect in about 15 seconds. I have AT&T DSL, and they've been out here to replace some wires, check the lines and replace and my router, and that didn't help. Changing wireless card didn't help. I didn't have any problems with my old laptop, so I'm thinking it's my computer. Any ideas?

Remy5000

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

The router is a 2wire. Currently, the wireless adapter is a TP-Link, model TL-WN851ND. I also tried a Netis wireless adapter, thinking it was the problem but both cards do the same thing. The router is about 10 feet from the computer

skaz

Distinguished
Okay you still didn't list a model for the 2wire. But I'm assuming your ISP gave it to you. You might want to look into getting something new as ISPs tend to give out cheaper equipment when deploying units to thousands of customers.

Remy5000

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Sorry, it's a 2wire 2701HG. But the router worked fine for a year, and they even gave me a new one and that didn't change anything. The tech is coming out again to replace the wire that runs from my wall plug to the box in the basement, but I just don't think that is the problem.

TRENDING THREADS