Sign in with
Your question

Problems with all Firewalls and AV

Last response: in Windows 7
April 29, 2012 5:48:04 PM

I am currently using avast free and spybot search and destroy with build in windows firewall.
I found a virus on my machine the other day and I though I took care of it.
Then all of a sudden strange things started to happen so I figured It couldn't hurt to install some other software.
I tried installing commodo security and as soon as I installed it my system was very very sluggish then froze up.
Tried to download MSE and same thing.
Did a system restore twice and my system seems to run fine now, but I do not feel protected anymore.
It seems that there are compatability issues with all those programs.
At this point I am about to just say screw it and upgrade to avast pro for 30 bucks. Is this a good idea?
What is the best a/v and firewall combo free or if paid under $50??????
Also, When i boot up my pc the cmd.exe shows up but there are no processes in it? Is this normal or could this be malware?
Thanks guys

More about : problems firewalls

April 29, 2012 5:56:28 PM

I use either Free AVG or MSE along with free ZoneAlarm on my systems and except for my dedicated torrent box, I haven't had any known problems.

As far as CMD.EXE is concerned, check MSCONFIG.EXE to see if it has somehow been added to the startup list. I don't think that CMD.exe by itself is a problem.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2012 6:04:41 PM

Hi :) 

I fix viruses EVERY DAY in my computer shops....

The BEST PAID by far is Norton Internet Security 2012

The BEST FREE is MSE...

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2012 6:12:56 PM

I disagree with Brett,.. I hate Norton Internet security.. I am a Kaspersky Fan, its has serverd me very well.

Check out this comparison review between loads of products and see what you think..

http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

Cheers
April 29, 2012 6:20:03 PM

most PAID for and still licesed for updating software is about the same AVG, norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, etc. i have tried all which i could find and saw no differnece in detection rates and in updateing.
The updates are about upto a day or 2 apart depending on which 2 or more of them you compare but it really isnt that much to worry about. for the AV software.
For a firewall i would go with set up the router firewall first then use the AV software's built in firewall but only use one software firewall as more then one will conflict with each other and it will actually be the same as having no firewall at all.
Your issue sounds like either a batch file with the @ECHO OFF command typed in first or the cmd.exe program is in your start up programs list thus check your start up programs list in the msconfig.exe program and make sure it is or is not typed in. Doing this will also tell you what is starting up when you boot up windows thus you will be able to stop the program bringing this event to happen from starting when you boot up the computer.
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2012 6:34:27 PM

GFI Internet Security, light on resources, very accurate and most importantly cheap, as licence covers 3 pc's for life.
April 29, 2012 6:48:30 PM

See the problem is that anytime I try to add a firewall my system gets all screwy. The reason i was thinking about a paid is I want something that is safe, not a resource hog, and most importantly worry free.
I have tried zone alarm and commodo and right after installation it freezes. I am a pretty safe surfer so I was worried that trojans actually got through, and I want something to stop outgoing so I dont infect everyone elses pc.
I really like the idea of an additional firewall that blocks outgoing (i have a router with firewall).
Any additional suggestions? Should I just uninstall and pick one? Why is installing a new firewall causing the extreme sluggishness on everything not just internet?
Cmd.exe was in my start up from my graphic card so thanks for solving that!
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2012 8:38:09 PM

Hi :) 

The reason its freezing is that the VIRUS IS STILL THERE....

You dont want a Pros advice...fine...live with it....until it becomes unuseable...

All the best Brett :) 

April 29, 2012 9:04:44 PM

@Brett...what?
I don't think the virus is still there, but it could be hiding. Two system restores, 3 AV scans with different programs yields nothing.
My system is fine now, its just when I try to add comodo that I have problems. I actually had this problem way back when I first installed the OS. I installed drivers, avast, spybot, then commodo and straight freeze, I had to reinstall the OS.
If the virus is still there, how do I get it out? I ran boot scans, and cannot see anything. Even with commode (it still runs just everything else is slow) nothing was found and nothing outgoing was blocked from the firewall.

All the definitions are up to date, yet I can't find the virus, I only have problems when installing new security programs.
Is it possible its still there, even with the system restore (again only one time did I find a virus in the scan and I took care of it, then did a restore to a point before I did the surfing that led to the virus since I run scans every night).
Advice?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2012 9:16:42 PM

Do one thing. Randomly copy few exe files and save it into another place . Rar it and upload it to any file share site. Share the link here if allowed or pm me the link. Virus is still in ur system. Also search for any autorun.inf file. If there, add those to the rar. Also add a list of files added to the rar in txt format.
cmd.exe is for commond promote environment of Microsoft windows. Though i m using kaspersky 2012 i wont recommend u that. In certain situations kaspersky creates issues with system restore in this version again. Had a chat with kaspersky help about that.
U can do one thing. Download the trail version of kaspersky. Try to install it. If there is a serious virus isues kaspersky will give u the option to download a removal tool. If possible go to friends place and download the latest kaspersky boot disk.
Before doing that remove any anti virus or firewall installed. After that, download ccleaner (if possible from a friends place)and clean ur system. Moreover it will be good if u can remove as much programs installed in computer, which u can again re-install. remain disconnected form net while doing all these.Best way is to fight a virus infection is with a light system.
After everything is cleaned up u can again install ur favorite anti- virus and firewall. If u chose pro ones choose between kaspersky or norton (this is my personal opinion )
April 29, 2012 9:17:38 PM

The new Norton products are fantastic!
April 29, 2012 10:51:58 PM

So if I just uninstall all my virus protection now and reinstall a new one (norton pro maybe) will that take care of it.
I found the virus that was detected in the boot logs but it is no longer there when I search for it
C:\Windows\Temp\_avast_\unp105073421.tmp
When I look for it it isnt there but there some files similar, are those files normal or suspect?
Thanks guys I just want this nightmare to be over
April 29, 2012 10:58:23 PM

Just did..How do I know if I got it?
April 29, 2012 10:59:21 PM

reinstall antivirus and run a complete scan
April 29, 2012 11:30:08 PM

Avast free, spybot and malwarebytes show no virus or threats.
I'll see how it goes when I try to add commodo firewall
April 30, 2012 3:00:44 AM

how's it running now
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 3:04:25 AM

since you use avast and malwarebytes you also wrote that your router got a firewall ,you dont need to install another firewall,do a thorough scan for virus and malwarebytes in safe mode without network connected .you could use glary utilities free for registery cleaning http://majorgeeks.com/Glary_Utilities_d5870.html
April 30, 2012 3:05:38 AM

malwarebytes is made to work better not in safe mode
April 30, 2012 3:15:22 AM

Another thought. I've seen systems that I have worked on that after removing the virus and checking to see if there is any remnants. That depending on the virus that was there it could have possibly left the system in shambles after being removed. Basically leaving me with no choice but to back up the system and reinstall windows due to damaged or missing files and multiple manipulated or missing registry entries.

I use ESET Smart Security for my system. When checking other peoples systems I will use a combination of the ESET boot disk, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and Process Explorer among others to look for Malware infections.

NOTE: Hardware and Software Firewalls serve two different purposes. It is best to use both.

Hardware Firewalls detect threats based on traffic algorithms they will not protect your system from viral infections.

Software Firewalls protect your system depending on the firewall based on system input meaning it will protect an individual system from data that it should not be receiving or in some cases protect others from your issues by locking the virus to your system by keeping software from sending data out. It could also keep a virus from receiving updates or information from the web. The best software firewall is one that is set to Manual and operated by a competent user.
April 30, 2012 3:35:57 AM

I know the difference between the firewalls somewhat and I do use both..however my router went out and I had to direct connect to modem (its finals week ) and now I have a virus. I never go to unsafe sights (well except occasionaly if you get my drift).
This little bastard is still here I think. Scans, uninstalls reinstalls, nothing finds it but I cannot install another antivirus without crashing. I think I am going to do a clean install. With the clean install I guess either kapersky or norton paid-this is my first virus that caused any problems and i never want this headache again I dont care if I am paying 50 bucks just for customer service well worth it to me. I even tried safe mode looking for suspect files but I am not that competent
April 30, 2012 4:05:36 AM

So friggin frustrating. Safe mode scans. I think I have tried everything. Luckily only saved games were on there (all school stuff goes to different hdd). OK so wtf.
This experience was a huge slap in the face how did 4 different antivirus programs not catch it? I guess clean install is my only viable option-thanks for the help guys.

I know a secondary firewall is not needed but I am at an network at home...I really want something to stop OUTGOING so at least comps cant infect one another and keystrokes cannot be sent. I do not want to use Norton because so many people target this.
After some research the file that i posted above targets AVAST evidently.
Went from not being able to install new firewall to afraid of getting on my pc what a night :( 
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 4:14:54 AM

install avast then go the protection part on the expert settings under containers check that it will scan all type do that for all the 8 agent it got and the last free version is 7.0.1426 ,also put malwarebyte and leave protection module activate and check all the box in that section
April 30, 2012 4:26:43 AM

Scout -Avast is fubared-wont let me uninstall it and its just a dead link (wont run at all now except safe mode)- let me get back to you-i am going to try to keep playing with it for about an hour more BUT ... Even if I do delete it how do I know I actually got rid of it? I mean its hidden from 4 AV programs- just worried it will still be there possibly sending my info and keystrokes.
Thanks for all your guys' help and patience!
April 30, 2012 4:32:08 AM

I can DL it no problem (tried from that site) but freezes as soon as I try to install another antivirus. But I installed other programs just cant install new firewall software or av.
C:\Windows\Temp\_avast_\unp105073421.tmp this was the initial suspect file that avast said it deleted
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 4:34:56 AM

how many virus software are active now on your system
April 30, 2012 4:42:54 AM

Just the one with two on demand spyware (search and destroy and malewarebytes). I just uninstalled avast in safe mode and installed kapersky. initially, I thought it was just a conflict-but it seems the more I do the worse it gets. So right now just kapersky I am in process of deleting the other two spywares
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 4:45:35 AM

kapersky is a virus software same as avast so the could conflict together you could leave on malwarebytes for spyware software and remove search and destroy
April 30, 2012 4:55:05 AM

Deleted Avast. And the other two spyware (already did before say post). Kapersky said no threats but how could I trust this?

a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 5:01:14 AM

tomorrow set it start a full scan of all the system files on all your drive and if it report no virus then system is clean,you could also activate the windows firewall under the security settings if kapersky do not have one
April 30, 2012 4:04:45 PM

Kapersky and malewarebytes says no Virus yet every time I shut off windows says i have updates which is strange and my audio devices are all messed up. so it might be gone but the damage is done.
thanks for the help guys
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 4:07:35 PM

those could be microsoft update for the audio see if the driver are up to date
April 30, 2012 7:13:12 PM

Drop the spybot it's not in the same league as malwarebytes
May 7, 2012 1:27:07 AM

I ended up doing a fresh install and added kapersky. When the trial is up I might shop around but man is that thing a resource hog.
Thanks guys
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2012 10:07:40 AM

irishfan89 said:
I ended up doing a fresh install and added kapersky. When the trial is up I might shop around but man is that thing a resource hog.
Thanks guys

Define "resource hog"? ... mine is sitting using 13 MB mem.... 0 % CPU... its not doing it full scan etc when it sure to go up... but then its very good at doing it in background... so I never see it.
So what you seeing that makes you say it so bad?

Cheers
!