Using 10000 RPM SCSI drive with narrow controller

nonposter

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2001
I'm thinking about buying a 10000 RPM SCSI drive (like an Atlas 10k III or Fujitsu MAN), and I already have a narrow SCSI controller (8-bit, 20MB/second: http://www.mylex.com/products/multimaster/bt948narrow.html). I understand that these drives are backwards-compatible, meaning they will work with "older" technology controllers. I would need to get an adapter to physically connect the drive to the cable. This drive would be the only one on the SCSI bus. My question is: Would the performance suffer greatly because of the bottleneck in the SCSI bus? How would this compare to a WD800JB IDE drive?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get an Adapted 2940UW (40MB/s) for only $30 at some online stores, that would double your drive bandwidth.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Would the performance suffer greatly because of the bottleneck in the SCSI bus?
Yes

How would this compare to a WD800JB IDE drive?
You would still have faster access times but other than that the jb would blow it out of the water, do to the controller. Why would you spend that kind of money on a drive only to kill it with that controller?

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!