HL2: is the game better than the demo?

Last response: in Video Games
May 31, 2005 12:02:41 PM

I finally tried the demo of Half Life 2 and i wasn't impressed by the
gameplay. Sure, the graphics were nice but the gameplay hasn't evolved.
There are still crates everywhere, my crowbar can't break windows, there are
jumping puzzles and the flashlight runs out of power after thirty seconds.
The headcrabs are still annoying as before.

So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
gameplay improve? Im debating about getting HL2 or waiting for Battlefield
2.

More about : hl2 game demo

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:02:47 PM

Groo the Wanderer wrote:
> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 31 May 2005 08:02:41 -0400, "Groo the Wanderer"
> > <jp2@vatican.com> wrote:

> > >So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
> > >gameplay improve?

> If rest of the game is better than that, i might pick it
> up. The thing i hated the most was the darkness of the levels. It was nealy
> impossible for me to play before sunset because the sunlight from the
> outside makes it hard to see the monitor. Are the other levels set during
> daytime?

Ravenholm is almost a standalone game within a game. The rest of the
game is nothing like it. It's mostly set in the Eastern European City
17 you've heard about, so expect crumbling concrete and rusting gates.
There's also a fair amount of train tracks one way or another. And it
is much lighter than Ravenholm.

The gameplay varies quite a bit. There's a couple of long vehicle
sections (different vehicles) and a couple of limited squad combat
sections (limited in the commands you can give). To be honest, in the
latter I just kept pointing the squad in the general direction I wanted
them to go and let their AI take over - it usually works.

You'll probably recognise some scenes from HL1. A room full of trip
lasers, snipers in high windows and a frantic battle against a
helicopter make a return. Otherwise, most of the combat is against the
soldiers; the aliens are played down in HL2, although the zombies and
headcrabs will still jump out of dark corners at you.

There are some set piece battles against the soldiers that are hard,
one in particular. Best comparisons are with "On A Rail" when you need
to open the barrier, or in the above-ground section with what look like
sewer drains and soldiers up above, and a tank in the corner. The part
in "Surface Tension" where you are trying to open the storm drain while
a helicopter buzzes you will also ring some bells.

New things? Well, there's the physics obviously. you can pick up most
things and chuck them around. Sometimes this is essential to solve a
puzzle (seesaws are a typical puzzle); other times you can use stuff as
weapons (you've tried using the circular saw blades in Ravenholm?).
Need a grenade, but not got any? Tempt a soldier to chuck one your way,
catch it and lob it back (quickly!). Need to buy some time? Barricade
the doorway with a table.
Run out of ammo entirely? Chuck some crates at the beasties.

There's a few novel ideas amongst your enemies. A couple of flying
critters are a nuisance, far more so than the Alien controllers of HL1.
One is basically a flying camera - harmless until it teams up with
something much more powerful, when it will give away your position and
you can expect your cover to be shot to pieces pretty pronto. Another
new alien can be avoided if you watch your step - giving you the choice
between a fast battle, or a slow (tedious, some will argue) walk. And
the Striders are a lot of fun too. You've probably seen them on video
clips, but the truth is that they are usually confined in much smaller
spaces than the videos suggest - which makes them more dangerous.

Weapons are a fairly standard bunch. There's nothing remarkable there,
except the gravity gun. You will also know which weapon to use by
looking at the ammo you're picking up. On a few occasions there are
some everlasting ammo crates, just in case you hadn't got the message.

HL2 uses scripted sequences much more than HL1, and some plot
developments are delivered in this way. On a few occasions you are
given a mission in what would be a cut scene in any other game. It
helps to listen because you'll be told about things like where that
ever-lasting ammo crate is, or where the exit is, or even why you are
going where you're going.

Like HL1, there is only one way forward. The levels are bigger and on
the open air ones you can explore a bit, but there is still only one
way forward. On the outdoor levels this is reasonably well disguised
with cunning use of cliffs or the sea, but in the city there are a lot
of doors that won't open, or magic forcefields and it's sometimes a bit
obvious that you are being forced in a certain direction.

Overall, yes it is better than the demo. It is more like HL1 than the
demo. The demo/Ravenholm level is more like They Hunger than HL. If you
enjoyed the soldier combat from HL1 you'll probably get a kick out of
HL2.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 2:14:50 PM

wrote:

>I finally tried the demo of Half Life 2 and i wasn't impressed by the
>gameplay. Sure, the graphics were nice but the gameplay hasn't evolved.
>There are still crates everywhere, my crowbar can't break windows, there are
>jumping puzzles and the flashlight runs out of power after thirty seconds.

IIRC, the crowbar can break some windows - or is it another game I'm
thinking of...

The only noticable gameplay improvement would be the havoc physics engine,
which has enabled at least one of the monsters to react to the environment
more realisticly.

>The headcrabs are still annoying as before.

The real strength for major games is the modding capability. If you don't
like the headcrabs, feel free to nerf them. :)

>So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
>gameplay improve? Im debating about getting HL2 or waiting for Battlefield
>2.

It's a matter of personal taste. Personally, I found HL2 to be easy on
hard, but that could be because of additional experience. But since it
does have an SDK with full source code, I don't regret the decision.

From the gameplay aspect, there might not be much from the base HL2 package
- mods will eventually pick up whatever is missing in the base game (e.g.
adding an extra difficulty level...)
Related resources
May 31, 2005 4:10:21 PM

<jp2@vatican.com> wrote:

>I finally tried the demo of Half Life 2 and i wasn't impressed by the
>gameplay. Sure, the graphics were nice but the gameplay hasn't evolved.
>There are still crates everywhere, my crowbar can't break windows, there are
>jumping puzzles and the flashlight runs out of power after thirty seconds.
>The headcrabs are still annoying as before.
>
>So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
>gameplay improve? Im debating about getting HL2 or waiting for Battlefield
>2.

The HL2 demo is in Ravenholm isn't it? I haven't played the demo, but
in the full game Ravenholm was the part I enjoyed least. The full game
I guess isn't radically different although the parts with vehicles
keep things fresh. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, just comes up
with a solid sequel to HL2.

I don't think you can really compare HL2 and BF2, HL2 is primarily a
single player pretty linear game and BF2 is multiplayer (online or
against bots) without any story. I have played HL2 through 3 times,
something I have never done with any other FPS, and have pre-ordered
BF2.
May 31, 2005 4:10:22 PM

> On Tue, 31 May 2005 08:02:41 -0400, "Groo the Wanderer"
> <jp2@vatican.com> wrote:
>
> >I finally tried the demo of Half Life 2 and i wasn't impressed by the
> >gameplay. Sure, the graphics were nice but the gameplay hasn't evolved.
> >There are still crates everywhere, my crowbar can't break windows, there
are
> >jumping puzzles and the flashlight runs out of power after thirty
seconds.
> >The headcrabs are still annoying as before.
> >
> >So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
> >gameplay improve? Im debating about getting HL2 or waiting for
Battlefield
> >2.
>
> The HL2 demo is in Ravenholm isn't it? I haven't played the demo, but
> in the full game Ravenholm was the part I enjoyed least. The full game
> I guess isn't radically different although the parts with vehicles
> keep things fresh. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, just comes up
> with a solid sequel to HL2.
>
> I don't think you can really compare HL2 and BF2, HL2 is primarily a
> single player pretty linear game and BF2 is multiplayer (online or
> against bots) without any story. I have played HL2 through 3 times,
> something I have never done with any other FPS, and have pre-ordered
> BF2.

It is Ravenholm. If rest of the game is better than that, i might pick it
up. The thing i hated the most was the darkness of the levels. It was nealy
impossible for me to play before sunset because the sunlight from the
outside makes it hard to see the monitor. Are the other levels set during
daytime?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:10:23 PM

> The thing i hated the most was the darkness of the levels. It was nealy
> impossible for me to play before sunset because the sunlight from the
> outside makes it hard to see the monitor. Are the other levels set during
> daytime?

The suit has a built-in flashlight. I also like how sprinting is limited by
suit power.

I find myself lowering the brightness on my monitor whenever I play during
the daytime, even with the shades drawn (and our living room is chock-full
of windows).

- f_f
May 31, 2005 7:25:41 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:30:41 -0400, "Groo the Wanderer"
<jp2@vatican.com> wrote:

>It is Ravenholm. If rest of the game is better than that, i might pick it
>up. The thing i hated the most was the darkness of the levels. It was nealy
>impossible for me to play before sunset because the sunlight from the
>outside makes it hard to see the monitor. Are the other levels set during
>daytime?

They are set at various time of the day, but Ravenholm is by far the
darkest. To me it never felt like it belonged in HL2, it just felt
like a physics demo that had been shoehorned into the game.
May 31, 2005 9:40:13 PM

Groo the Wanderer wrote:
> I finally tried the demo of Half Life 2 and i wasn't impressed by the
> gameplay. Sure, the graphics were nice but the gameplay hasn't evolved.

No, it hasn't really evolved, it's the same game as the original really,
just with a far smoother polish. I didn't really expect or want anything
else.

> There are still crates everywhere, my crowbar can't break windows, there are
> jumping puzzles and the flashlight runs out of power after thirty seconds.

Flashlight is annoying, windows and crates are faily irrelevant really,
hardly game breakers. Jumping puzzles were pretty rare and
non-challenging if I remember rightly. Except the ant-lion one...which I
won't spoil, but I loved doing it. Nothing like Xen.

> The headcrabs are still annoying as before.

Spot them quicker and aim better then! ;)

> So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
> gameplay improve?

Ravenholm is not a reflection of the game as a whole, wait until you are
cowering behind disintegrating piles of debris from a Strider or
battling through a three way fight in the Prison for instance. I enjoyed
Ravenholm as I liked the atmosphere and it was a nice diversion.

The scenarios you find yourself in are very varied indeed.

> Im debating about getting HL2 or waiting for Battlefield
> 2.

Get both, two very different games.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 10:30:03 PM

Andrew wrote:

> They are set at various time of the day, but Ravenholm is by far the
> darkest. To me it never felt like it belonged in HL2, it just felt
> like a physics demo that had been shoehorned into the game.

It felt different, for sure, but physics demo? Father Grigory is
one of the best characters in any game, period! And the whole
sandpit nature of the level was great fun - I love to load it
up and play it again every now and then. I also like the
deliberate contrast between the fast-paced, bright vehicles levels
and that one.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:54:02 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Groo the Wanderer wrote:

<snip>

please wait for battlefield or better yet buy pc games like
boiling point or area 51 which don't have any abusive steam
technology and are totally pc gamer friendly!
say no to steam! fight against monopolistic dictator valve!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

<jp2@vatican.com> wrote:

>I finally tried the demo of Half Life 2 and i wasn't impressed by the
>gameplay. Sure, the graphics were nice but the gameplay hasn't evolved.
>There are still crates everywhere, my crowbar can't break windows, there are
>jumping puzzles and the flashlight runs out of power after thirty seconds.
>The headcrabs are still annoying as before.
>
>So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
>gameplay improve? Im debating about getting HL2 or waiting for Battlefield
>2.

Get BF2, and look for HL2 at a clearance-sale. With the Summer
doldrums coming, you have a good chance of picking it up cheap.

My local EBX was clearing their storage-space and sold off their
remaining 6 copies of the HL2 Collector's Edition @ $29.99 a couple of
weeks ago.

Since Vivendi has been dumped by Valve, I doubt that Vivendi will
want any HL2 returns; they may say to the retailers just to get rid of
the stock and give them some credit.

John Lewis
June 1, 2005 11:55:08 AM

Thus spake "Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com>, Tue, 31 May 2005
18:30:03 +0100, Anno Domini:

>Andrew wrote:
>
>> They are set at various time of the day, but Ravenholm is by far the
>> darkest. To me it never felt like it belonged in HL2, it just felt
>> like a physics demo that had been shoehorned into the game.
>
>It felt different, for sure, but physics demo? Father Grigory is
>one of the best characters in any game, period! And the whole
>sandpit nature of the level was great fun - I love to load it
>up and play it again every now and then. I also like the
>deliberate contrast between the fast-paced, bright vehicles levels
>and that one.

Ditto. It was it's very difference & spookiness that made it one of the
greatest levels in HL2, imo.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

June 1, 2005 12:54:05 PM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Groo the Wanderer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> please wait for battlefield or better yet buy pc games like
> boiling point or area 51 which don't have any abusive steam
> technology and are totally pc gamer friendly!
> say no to steam! fight against monopolistic dictator valve!

I'll do that when you stop your irrelevant cross postings to newsgroups like
the .strategic and .rpg.
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:14:38 PM

Half Life 2 is without a doubt a top notch FPS. Never played the
demo. The only complaint I have about the game is STEAM. Their Zero
tolerance is total bullshit. If you can learn to deal with their
bullshit protection system, then I would highly recommend this
outstanding game by Valve Software.

<jp2@vatican.com> wrote:

>I finally tried the demo of Half Life 2 and i wasn't impressed by the
>gameplay. Sure, the graphics were nice but the gameplay hasn't evolved.
>There are still crates everywhere, my crowbar can't break windows, there are
>jumping puzzles and the flashlight runs out of power after thirty seconds.
>The headcrabs are still annoying as before.
>
>So does the full game have better levels/enemies than the demo? Does the
>gameplay improve? Im debating about getting HL2 or waiting for Battlefield
>2.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 8:12:01 PM

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Nostromo wrote:

> Eh. Take away the gravity gun & it's just Doom3 with better lighting. ;-p

No. It's Doom3 with better models ;) . Doom 3 has much better lighting...

June 2, 2005 9:07:53 PM

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0506021610190.22235@cicum1.cup.uni-muenchen.de...

> No. It's Doom3 with better models ;) . Doom 3 has much better lighting...

Except you can't see a goddamn thing in D3. "Our shadows are so good, you'll
see nothing else".

I thought the ambient lighting in HL2 was beautifully done and very
athmospheric.
June 2, 2005 11:22:56 PM

Thus spake Allannon <>, Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:14:38 -0400, Anno Domini: