Store to phone or SIM ???

Can someone explain what that means in very simple terms to a complete
novice? And what the advantages disadvantages of each is?
TIA
dot
6 answers Last reply
More about store phone

    The sim is the little card that contains your customer information for the
    service that you are with. For example, if you are with Cingular, you have
    a little Cingular sim card in your phone that contains your phone number and
    other information about your account. You can also save phone numbers to
    this. Since you basically activate a sim card rather than a phone, you can
    then take the sim card out of your phone and put it in any other GSM phone.
    The new phone will read your account information from the sim and allow you
    to use your new phone without having to program it specifically for your
    account.

    Therefore, the advantage of saving your phonebook to your sim card is that
    you can transfer your phonebook to another phone simply by taking the sim
    chip out of your current phone and putting it in the other. The new phone
    would then be able to see all of your phone contacts. On the other hand,
    the advantage of saving contacts to your phone is that you can associate
    many of the phone-specific features such as "voice numbers" and distinctive
    ringtones (where you can choose a different ringtone for each contact) with
    the contact. I like to have the contacts both in the phone memory and the
    sim card just in case one of them fails (so that I will have a backup).

    "Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone explain what that means in very simple terms to a complete
    > novice? And what the advantages disadvantages of each is?
    > TIA
    > dot

    Gee Blizzy...thank you very much! That was very well written and clear to
    understand. Since I didn't know what SIM was I did choose "Store to Phone"
    on all my contacts and assign voice names as well as tones. But I do like
    your idea to store them in SIM as well for future portability. How would I
    go about storing my contacts to SIM now as well, even though they have
    already been stored to phone?
    THANKS AGAIN!
    dot

    "Blizzy01" <blizzy01@sent.com> wrote in message
    The sim is the little card that contains your customer information for the
    service that you are with. For example, if you are with Cingular, you have
    a little Cingular sim card in your phone that contains your phone number and
    other information about your account. You can also save phone numbers to
    this. Since you basically activate a sim card rather than a phone, you can
    then take the sim card out of your phone and put it in any other GSM phone.
    The new phone will read your account information from the sim and allow you
    to use your new phone without having to program it specifically for your
    account.

    Therefore, the advantage of saving your phonebook to your sim card is that
    you can transfer your phonebook to another phone simply by taking the sim
    chip out of your current phone and putting it in the other. The new phone
    would then be able to see all of your phone contacts. On the other hand,
    the advantage of saving contacts to your phone is that you can associate
    many of the phone-specific features such as "voice numbers" and distinctive
    ringtones (where you can choose a different ringtone for each contact) with
    the contact. I like to have the contacts both in the phone memory and the
    sim card just in case one of them fails (so that I will have a backup).

    "Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone explain what that means in very simple terms to a complete
    > novice? And what the advantages disadvantages of each is?
    > TIA
    > dot

    If you have Mobile Phone Tools you can make a backup of all your contacts as
    well.
    > Gee Blizzy...thank you very much! That was very well written and clear to
    > understand. Since I didn't know what SIM was I did choose "Store to
    Phone"
    > on all my contacts and assign voice names as well as tones. But I do like
    > your idea to store them in SIM as well for future portability. How would
    > go about storing my contacts to SIM now as well, even though they have
    > already been stored to phone?
    > THANKS AGAIN!
    > dot
    >
    > "Blizzy01" <blizzy01@sent.com> wrote in message
    > The sim is the little card that contains your customer information for the
    > service that you are with. For example, if you are with Cingular, you
    have
    > a little Cingular sim card in your phone that contains your phone number
    and
    > other information about your account. You can also save phone numbers to
    > this. Since you basically activate a sim card rather than a phone, you
    can
    > then take the sim card out of your phone and put it in any other GSM
    phone.
    > The new phone will read your account information from the sim and allow
    you
    > to use your new phone without having to program it specifically for your
    > account.
    >
    > Therefore, the advantage of saving your phonebook to your sim card is that
    > you can transfer your phonebook to another phone simply by taking the sim
    > chip out of your current phone and putting it in the other. The new phone
    > would then be able to see all of your phone contacts. On the other hand,
    > the advantage of saving contacts to your phone is that you can associate
    > many of the phone-specific features such as "voice numbers" and
    distinctive
    > ringtones (where you can choose a different ringtone for each contact)
    with
    > the contact. I like to have the contacts both in the phone memory and the
    > sim card just in case one of them fails (so that I will have a backup).
    >

    > "Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote in message
    > > Can someone explain what that means in very simple terms to a complete
    > > novice? And what the advantages disadvantages of each is?
    > > TIA
    > > dot

    <<If you have Mobile Phone Tools you can make a backup of all your contacts
    as
    well.>>

    Apparently not if you have a V400 and have assigned caller ID pictures. In
    order to back up my phone book I had to delete all the pictures. Only then
    did Mobile Phone Tools successfully read the data from the phone.

    Lee

    "Lee Gordon" <bucketofspam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > <<If you have Mobile Phone Tools you can make a backup of all your
    contacts
    > as
    > well.>>
    >
    > Apparently not if you have a V400 and have assigned caller ID pictures.
    In
    > order to back up my phone book I had to delete all the pictures. Only
    then
    > did Mobile Phone Tools successfully read the data from the phone.
    >
    > Lee
    No kidding? I did mine before I added the pix id, but at least I will know
    what happens if I back up again. Thanks

    > I like to have the contacts both in the phone memory and the
    >sim card just in case one of them fails (so that I will have a backup).

    Me too. But on my v300 if I do this, I get duplicate entries in my phonebook.
    Its kinda annoying. Is there a way to make the sim entries "invisible"?

    George

Motorola Phones