Behemoth1993

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Hello My name is Zachary and im having a real REAL REAL hard time trying to portforward my games on the PC.

First i am going to give you a run down of my PC's spec so you know what i am working with.

PC Specs:

Motherboard/Mobo:Biostar TA990FXE
Graphics Card/GFX:AMD HD Radeon 6970
Ram:32gb Gskill 1333 Ripjaws
Cpu: AMD FX-8120 Eight core processor
Power Supply/Psu: Raidmax RX-1000
Hard drive/HDD:1tb Seagate hdd
Router:Netgear WGR614v10

Now that you know what im working with i will give you my issue. I cant freaking port forward. I have tried every online guide known to man. I am trying to make a minecraft server and cannot.

My isp is Optimum/Cablevision and they are assholes. I went through all the steps everyone has said. Here is a list.

Things tried:
1.try opening ports through router
2.try creating a static ip
3.try contact isp to change dynamic to static
4.buy a new router
5.ask jesus for help
6.ask satan for help
7.call geek squad (i know more then all the workers there)
8.use programs such as simple portforward tool

This issue is astronomical. I first tried to portforward it didn't work so what i found out is since im on a dynamic ip due to my isp i need a static. I went to the ip site to set up a static ip it did not work. I went into the router to try and set up a static ip there and no luck. I called the service provider to change dynamic to static and they said no its only for businesses. I went to church (i am agnostic so that was a bit of a doosey) and prayed to god he didnt do anything. I did a satanic ritual and fed satan my soul, unfortunatley he id nothing but laugh. I downloaded this simple portforward tool and did nothing. I contacted netgear and i have to pay them to fix the issue which is bullshit so im not doing that option.

No matter what i do i cannot make the damn minecraft server or even host any other games or servers on my pc. Please if there is something i did not try or if you think im doing it wrong help me and walk me through it. From one pc gamer/user to another please help me im at my end i wanna commit suicide and castrate my self because im so stressed.

Solution
You don't need a static IP from your ISP to port forward.

You don't need one to port forward, but it makes sense if other on the Internet want to connect to his minecraft server. Since it is unlikely his ISP will provide him one without paying big bucks, it would help if his router supported dynamic DNS so he could set up a DynDNS account or a NO-IP account.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyn-standard-dns/ (no longer free)

http://www.no-ip.com/personal/
G

You don't need a static IP from your ISP to port forward. It would make sense to have a static IP on your PC though, you can either do this on the PC or you might be able to set a reservation in the DHCP settings on the Netgear.

Now for the port forwarding, I am no great fan of Netgear equipment but from what I have seen of them there is a port forwarding section in the Webui.

I expect you will need to make a custom service, which is basically supplying a name and port number, then supply the IP of the internal PC you want to map through to.

Not sure how up to date this screen is but here is a shot of the port forwarding section - http://screenshots.portforward.com/Netgear/WGT624/Port_Forwarding.jpg

You don't need a static IP from your ISP to port forward.

You don't need one to port forward, but it makes sense if other on the Internet want to connect to his minecraft server. Since it is unlikely his ISP will provide him one without paying big bucks, it would help if his router supported dynamic DNS so he could set up a DynDNS account or a NO-IP account.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyn-standard-dns/ (no longer free)

http://www.no-ip.com/personal/

Solution

Behemoth1993

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Thanks alot guys and for the future i will be doing a lot more research. The issue was however the static ip and i didnt know why . I did as you both kinda said through the webui with netgear and there was still no connections being allowed on any ports with that said i fixed the issue by downloading a program from protforwarding .com and it turned my dynamic to static idk how but if you do ave clues i would really like them. I need to know as much as i can about this because i plan on opening up a site or several sites in promotion of my game, servers, and projects surrounding t PC world/gaming world. PC needs to get back on top and im trying to take console gaming out. So any help on what to do in the future when i run into this issue would be great.

Actually DynDNS is free if you're willing to go through the free trial period and cancel. They let you keep one DNS name for free (iow, they make it a hassle). As far as NO-IP, I wouldn't recommend them anymore since they constantly nag you w/ expiration notices requiring a visit to the website to renew it (and forcing DNS updates doesn't help, it's done to nudge you towards a purchase).

These days, I'd go w/ afraid.org. No hassles, no expirations, always free.

Great info, thanks. I have a free grandfathered DynDns account that I set up like 8 years ago or so. I didn't realize NO-IP had nag screens. Yuck!

The staic IP address needs to be on the PC the server is set up on. You need to go into the IP configuration screen and instead of selecting "Obtain an IP address automatically" you need to select "Use the following IP address" and stick an unused IP address from your network in there. Just be sure that this address is not in the DHCP pool on your router otherwise your router may try to assign that address to another PC on the network and that will cause problems.