open source multiplayer FPS...

Does anyone know of any open source multiplayer fps games, im looking to
set up a quake style tounament at my college for charity so freeware,
shareware and commercial games are not much use because of the licencing
problem with the college. I've tried Cube but it didn't run very well, I've
also tried arena of honor but didnt like it does anyone know of any others
that may be of interest?
15 answers Last reply
More about open source multiplayer

    "Stone Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of any open source multiplayer fps games, im looking to
    > set up a quake style tounament at my college for charity so freeware,
    > shareware and commercial games are not much use because of the licencing
    > problem with the college. I've tried Cube but it didn't run very well,
    > I've
    > also tried arena of honor but didnt like it does anyone know of any others
    > that may be of interest?

    Is Starsiege Tribes open source now, or just freeware?

    Would make a great game, if a little dated now?

    On 31 May 2005 19:50:21 GMT, Stone Monkey
    <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of any open source multiplayer fps games, im looking to
    >set up a quake style tounament at my college for charity so freeware,
    >shareware and commercial games are not much use because of the licencing
    >problem with the college. I've tried Cube but it didn't run very well, I've
    >also tried arena of honor but didnt like it does anyone know of any others
    >that may be of interest?

    I don't know about freeware, but the UT demos have a lot of fun free
    gameplay in them.

    On 31 May 2005 19:50:21 GMT, Stone Monkey
    <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >Does anyone know of any open source multiplayer fps games, im looking to
    >set up a quake style tounament at my college for charity so freeware,
    >shareware and commercial games are not much use because of the licencing
    >problem with the college.

    Doom / Quake / Quake 2 are have been GPLed. You can download the source,
    create appropriate maps/graphics, and play - although this is generally
    time consuming.

    IIRC, the licencing for the commercial exploitation for Quake is free if
    the proceeds are under $500 a month - it's been a while, but it's best to
    find and read the fulltext of the licence, sign it, and get ID to sign a
    copy as well. (They may be differeny for Quake 3, but I haven't checked.)

    > I've tried Cube but it didn't run very well, I've
    >also tried arena of honor but didnt like it does anyone know of any others
    >that may be of interest?

    Anyway, you can look into:
    - BZFlag.
    - Stuff other posters mentioned...
    - That's about it really.

    It seems the best bet would be for either Quake 3, UT2004, or another game
    being played by CAL or CPL. If you can show that it is for charitable
    purposes, some companies will be more than happy to waive the additional
    licence fees for this situation (although you still need to purchase enough
    copies of the game.)

    http://www.download-free-games.com/war_game_download/wolfenstein_et.htm

    "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in news:nA4ne.4352$U4.609379
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > http://www.download-free-games.com/war_game_download/wolfenstein_et.htm

    oh yeah how the hell did i forget about that one, duh

    Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:429cd682$0
    $532$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

    > "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in news:nA4ne.4352$U4.609379
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> http://www.download-free-games.com/war_game_download/wolfenstein_et.htm
    >
    > oh yeah how the hell did i forget about that one, duh

    ok just checked the spec of the gfx capabilities of the college compupters
    and enemy territpry is too demanding

    Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> once tried to test me
    with:

    > ok just checked the spec of the gfx capabilities of the college
    > compupters and enemy territpry is too demanding

    Tell us the specs, that would help a lot.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote in news:Xns9667C851DE13Bknight37m@
    130.133.1.4:

    > Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> ok just checked the spec of the gfx capabilities of the college
    >> compupters and enemy territpry is too demanding
    >
    > Tell us the specs, that would help a lot.

    the specs can vary alot the only reason i know that enemy territory would
    not run is because i know that all the computers run with built in gfx, i
    will get back to you on a rough spec for the computers.

    "Stone Monkey" wrote

    > ok just checked the spec of the gfx capabilities of the college compupters
    > and enemy territpry is too demanding

    Time to change schools I reckon

    Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> writes:

    > the specs can vary alot the only reason i know that enemy territory would
    > not run is because i know that all the computers run with built in gfx, i
    > will get back to you on a rough spec for the computers.

    You're pretty much screwed as far as FPS goes, unless you really want
    to crank up the Way Back Machine...

    Nick

    --
    # sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
    print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

    Stone Monkey wrote:

    > Does anyone know of any open source multiplayer fps games,

    Nexuiz (http://www.nexuiz.com/)

    Screenshots and movie: http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php?module=media

    "Nexuiz is a fast-paced, chaotic, and intense multiplayer first person
    shooter, focused on providing basic, old style deathmatch. The 1.0 release
    weighs in at 161MB, and includes 17 maps, 28 playable characters, and 10
    music tracks. It is cross-platform, and supports Windows and Linux (x86 and
    x86_64), with Mac support coming soon (patch to be released in the next few
    days).

    All of Nexuiz is licensed under the GPL, including the core engine, the
    textures, maps, sounds, and models. It is extremely modder friendly.
    Because of its GPL license status, it can be included in any Linux distros
    or packages and is entirely free.

    Nexuiz is built on the power of the Darkplaces engine, which is a heavily
    modified version of the original Quake. Darkplaces features realtime
    lighting and stencil shadows, bumpmapping, gloss, bloom, and totally
    rewritten network code that supports up to 64 players on a single server.
    While quality gameplay was our primary goal, it's graphics technology and
    artwork allows the game to compete with the current quality of commercial
    games.

    Any online deathmatch fan will instantly feel at home with Nexuiz' weapons
    and movement style. The fast server browser and quick loading time allows
    you to jump right into a game at a moments notice and play a quick game."

    Dennis

    Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in

    > Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
    >
    >> the specs can vary alot the only reason i know that enemy territory
    >> would not run is because i know that all the computers run with built
    >> in gfx, i will get back to you on a rough spec for the computers.
    >
    > You're pretty much screwed as far as FPS goes, unless you really want
    > to crank up the Way Back Machine...
    >
    > Nick

    were not screwed we've played quake 3 during our break and it runs fine

    Dennis Schamne <schamne@despammed.com> wrote in

    > Stone Monkey wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of any open source multiplayer fps games,
    >
    > Nexuiz (http://www.nexuiz.com/)
    >
    > Screenshots and movie: http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php?module=media
    >
    > "Nexuiz is a fast-paced, chaotic, and intense multiplayer first person
    > shooter, focused on providing basic, old style deathmatch. The 1.0
    > release weighs in at 161MB, and includes 17 maps, 28 playable
    > characters, and 10 music tracks. It is cross-platform, and supports
    > Windows and Linux (x86 and x86_64), with Mac support coming soon
    > (patch to be released in the next few days).
    >
    > All of Nexuiz is licensed under the GPL, including the core engine,
    > the textures, maps, sounds, and models. It is extremely modder
    > friendly. Because of its GPL license status, it can be included in any
    > Linux distros or packages and is entirely free.
    >
    > Nexuiz is built on the power of the Darkplaces engine, which is a
    > heavily modified version of the original Quake. Darkplaces features
    > realtime lighting and stencil shadows, bumpmapping, gloss, bloom, and
    > totally rewritten network code that supports up to 64 players on a
    > single server. While quality gameplay was our primary goal, it's
    > graphics technology and artwork allows the game to compete with the
    > current quality of commercial games.
    >
    > Any online deathmatch fan will instantly feel at home with Nexuiz'
    > weapons and movement style. The fast server browser and quick loading
    > time allows you to jump right into a game at a moments notice and play
    > a quick game."
    >
    > Dennis

    thank you that game is amazin i'll use that cheers to anyone who helped

    Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> once tried to test me
    with:

    > Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in
    >
    >> Stone Monkey <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
    >>
    >>> the specs can vary alot the only reason i know that enemy territory
    >>> would not run is because i know that all the computers run with built
    >>> in gfx, i will get back to you on a rough spec for the computers.
    >>
    >> You're pretty much screwed as far as FPS goes, unless you really want
    >> to crank up the Way Back Machine...
    >>
    >> Nick
    >>

    > were not screwed we've played quake 3 during our break and it runs fine

    What kind of built in graphics? Unless you get more specific we're just
    shooting in the dark here. Not that I know of any open source MP FPS games,
    but someone else might.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Dennis Schamne <schamne@despammed.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Stone Monkey wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of any open source multiplayer fps games,
    >
    > Nexuiz (http://www.nexuiz.com/)
    >
    > Screenshots and movie: http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php?module=media
    >
    > "Nexuiz is a fast-paced, chaotic, and intense multiplayer first person
    > shooter, focused on providing basic, old style deathmatch. The 1.0
    > release weighs in at 161MB, and includes 17 maps, 28 playable
    > characters, and 10 music tracks. It is cross-platform, and supports
    > Windows and Linux (x86 and x86_64), with Mac support coming soon
    > (patch to be released in the next few days).
    >
    > All of Nexuiz is licensed under the GPL, including the core engine,
    > the textures, maps, sounds, and models. It is extremely modder
    > friendly. Because of its GPL license status, it can be included in any
    > Linux distros or packages and is entirely free.
    >
    > Nexuiz is built on the power of the Darkplaces engine, which is a
    > heavily modified version of the original Quake. Darkplaces features
    > realtime lighting and stencil shadows, bumpmapping, gloss, bloom, and
    > totally rewritten network code that supports up to 64 players on a
    > single server. While quality gameplay was our primary goal, it's
    > graphics technology and artwork allows the game to compete with the
    > current quality of commercial games.
    >
    > Any online deathmatch fan will instantly feel at home with Nexuiz'
    > weapons and movement style. The fast server browser and quick loading
    > time allows you to jump right into a game at a moments notice and play
    > a quick game."

    Not bad for free. Not as good as UT or even Q3 but not bad.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

PC gaming Open Source Multiplayer Games Video Games