How to recover .CHK files? Ive had partial success

ctech

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I had about 15 files recovered/saved by an abnormal shutdown. These were named File0000.chk to File0014.chk.

PLEASE CHANGE CATEGORY IF I POSTED IN THE WRONG SECTION.

First I tried renaming them with the likely extensions I use most often, such as .xlsx and .docx for Excel and Word. This successfully recovered over 1/2 of my files. Now I have 5 files remaining, which aren't yet recoverable, even trying other extensions like .pdf, .txt, and .jpg but no luck on those. I also downloaded and ran the free UnCHK at ericphelps.com and this recovered 1 more file.

http://ericphelps.com/uncheck/index.htm

With my 5 remaining files, I tried joining some of them, thinking that maybe that might solve something, but that hasn't worked yet. Any other suggestions? I haven't yet tried joining different combinations of 3 file fragments into 1, as the permutations of 3, 4, or 5 files would be time consuming.

Here is an example of the code to join 2 files.

copy /b file0099.jpg + file0001.chk test.jpg

The above would take the partially recovered file0099.jpg file and add the contents of
file0001.chk to it, storing the result in test.jpg. You'd then have to try opening the
test.jpg file to see if that helped.

ctech

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
It was on a FLASH DRIVE that didn't have much free space remaining. 99% of the thousands of files are ok. 15 were recovered/saved by chkdsk. Of those, I can't get 5 to open still. They appear to be .xlsx spreadsheet files since I viewed them in the editor Notepad++ and saw the words worksheet1 through 9.

Hi :)

And you didnt think it might be important to say it was on a flash drive.......... :( :(

Amazing....

All the best Brett :)