Kathlin1963

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
I'm about to build a new computer. I'm getting a Maxtor 80G HD but I still want to use my old 11G for other files. I'm purchasing a MSI 845G mobo.

The question is, what is RAID and would this allow me to slave my 11G HD to my 80G? I thought I read somewhere that in RAID I would have to have my HDs the same and that is would store everything twice.

*OR*

Should I purchase the adapter(which is running about $50) instead that will allow me to attached up to four more IDEs?

TIA

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Raid comes in several forms, but basically what allof em do is take several drives and make it look like one (so u can go for speed or redundancy for security, or both). If u use ur 11gig, the raid will make the other hdd 11gig (it truncates the other space) and thus it'd be pointless. Just buy the controller card.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RAID will do nothing for you with those drives. But I'll sell you a new Promise TX100 Ultra ATA controller card for only $20!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Cooj

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
As everyone else has said, yes get the PCI card because a raid controller card would be useless to you at this point. The only reason why you would need to get a raid controller card is if you have 2 identicle hd's. Otherwise it would be truncated to the lower size.

Raid has different types of levels, 0, 1 0+1. You can find more information on that stuff all over the place. If you think you might wan to upgrade to RAID later maybe you should get a mobo that has onboard RAID because you can usually disable it and ues it as normal ide channels until you are ready to use the raid system.

Cooj