Poll: Up hands those who will never buy another game from ..

Vote now.

John Lewis
25 answers Last reply
More about poll hands game

    > Vote now.

    Eh, I may wait on the reviews for Madden and see if they've improved it.
    Maybe NHL, too. But I'm getting tired of paying full price for graphical
    and roster updates. Gameplay has been stagnant or worse over the last few
    years. Besides, I'm still pissed Madden took out the league functions,
    wonky as they were, a few years back.

    turk
    --
    My last vestige of "hands off religion" respect disappeared in the smoke and
    choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the "National Day of

    John Lewis wrote:
    > Vote now.
    >
    > John Lewis

    Hands down. When I buy games I dont look at who publishes them - just
    whether I want to play them.

    --
    It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
    taming in one go.

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:03:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:

    >Vote now.

    Based on their past reputation across TS, RA2 than Generals, I feel that
    they probably aren't good game developers.

    Honestly, how hard is it to write an AI that's actually a threat? If RoN
    can do it (and still have two additional difficulty levels), why couldn't
    RA2/Generals?

    Might as well stick to engine games. They might not be the best, but at
    least you can create your own from scratch.

    Thusly john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) Spake Unto All:

    >Vote now.

    The suits at EA are obnoxious fruitcakes, but I'm not a very moral
    guy. If EA publishes a good game* I'll buy it.

    * that'll be the day.

    > Vote now.
    >
    > John Lewis

    Although people have every right to be mad at EA for their "exclusive deals"
    and such and the resulting fallout, I can't say I will be boycotting them.
    I do, however, make an effort now not to buy their games when they first
    come out. For example, I waited until a couple of months ago to buy NHL
    2005 and got it for $10 Canadian. When it was first released, it was $50.

    > Vote now.
    >
    > John Lewis

    As they publish the Battlefield series - the best multiplayer experience bar
    none IMO - then they have at least one guaranteed sale to me within the next
    month.

    Beyond that, I don't like EA - who would? - but games aren't really like
    many other commodities, there is only one of the top of genre games that I
    would buy. If this happens to be published by EA, then they get my money.

    I regard MS as a lot more of an evil empire, but I still use its
    products.

    EA would have to do something pretty damn nasty to stop me buying BF2,
    Madden 2XXX and any other future games they publish that coincide with
    my gaming tastes.

    John Lewis wrote:
    > Vote now.
    >
    > John Lewis

    Why not? Aren't some of their sports sims the absolute best in the field?

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -

    Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

    >I regard MS as a lot more of an evil empire, but I still use its
    >products.

    AFAIK Microsoft has quite decent conditions for their employees. I
    believe that's the main beef people have with EA, they treat their
    workforce as expendable, like McDonalds does.

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:39:50 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >AFAIK Microsoft has quite decent conditions for their employees. I
    >believe that's the main beef people have with EA, they treat their
    >workforce as expendable, like McDonalds does.

    That is pretty much a global concept these days, people are no longer
    employees, they are resources that can be hired or fired at the whim
    of a suit with a spreadsheet and a profit margin to chase.

    John Lewis wrote:
    > Vote now.

    If they release a game that looks good, I'll buy it. I couldn't care less
    who publishes it.

    --

    (O) e n o n e

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:07:52 -0600, "NightSky 421"
    <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >Although people have every right to be mad at EA for their "exclusive deals"
    >and such and the resulting fallout, I can't say I will be boycotting them.

    Why do people blame EA for securing "exclusive deals" and not the
    people who sell them the exclusive licenses?

    > Why do people blame EA for securing "exclusive deals" and not the
    > people who sell them the exclusive licenses?

    I can't speak for other people, but for me, it's the fact that EA was a
    willing participant. It's come to my attention as well now that EA cannot
    make Major League Baseball games now because someone else got an exclusive
    deal. It's unfortunate in the first place that such offers were made to
    companies by sports leagues because the end result is that there is less (or
    no) competition in the marketplace, but the trend has reared it's ugly head.
    I don't play the Madden NFL games, but there's no doubt that EA was coming
    up against some heavy competition for their NFL games. I don't know what
    the status of the NBA is in this regard, but I doubt the NHL will ever see
    such an exclusive deal since hockey is not a big thing in the United States.

    > Vote now.
    >
    > John Lewis

    I vote yes but I will very likely buy Battlefield 2 assuming it lives up to
    the hype (BFV did not) and they release a demo. That's the only EA game I
    will buy in the foreseeable future.

    > Vote now.
    >
    > John Lewis

    What's the issue with EA?

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:25:36 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

    >What's the issue with EA?

    They want to make money, apparently that makes them the root of all
    evil.

    On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:27:03 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

    >On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:07:52 -0600, "NightSky 421"
    ><nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >
    >>Although people have every right to be mad at EA for their "exclusive deals"
    >>and such and the resulting fallout, I can't say I will be boycotting them.
    >
    >Why do people blame EA for securing "exclusive deals" and not the
    >people who sell them the exclusive licenses?

    EA has a reputation of releasing low-quality games, or games lacking
    polish. When I've been peeking in the BF:V forums, there have been many
    complaints about some user coming onto the server, walking in front of a
    plane about to take off and using PTK to kill the pilot (and thus be able
    to fly the plane on next respawn.)

    Even if EA isn't didn't do anything wrong, they get blamed. That's a sign
    of bad PR.

    (Of course, ESPN was said to be shooting itself in the foot by permanently
    associating itself with a shoddy product. In a way, that's still blaming
    EA...)
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Andrew wrote:

    <snip>

    wrong demo man as always!
    ea is a failed publisher
    no innovation! no creativity! nothing! except redoing the same
    titles over and over again, and that's why last quarter they
    had profits dropping to record levels cause they simply don't
    have what it takes to be a great publisher... but that's not
    the problem
    the problem is cause they are totally INCAPABLE of becoming
    a successful publisher they BUY other companies that are and
    the last victim is ubisoft a historical independent company
    that has given us many innovative titles and with ea HOSTILE,
    let me repeat HOSTILE TAKE OVER will be a big loss for us
    all pc gamers
    ea trying to monopolize the market by buying other publisher
    in a HOSTILE take over shows their true colors
    ea is incapable of growing by their own, they can only do it
    by buying innovative companies but after being bought those
    companies stop being innovative and become just like mother ea
    why did dice needed to be bought by ea?
    why didn't dice remain independent like id software and others?
    why does ea need to SWALLOW everything they see!!!!! why????
    ea is a monopolistic company! ea is the microsoft of games!
    fight against ea monopolistic intentions!
    we want a free independent ubisoft!
    no to ubisoft hostile take over by ea!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
    the post came from a google server and that the email address
    is the now legendary sayNO2steam@yahoo.com
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:27:36 -0400, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
    wrote:

    >EA has a reputation of releasing low-quality games, or games lacking
    >polish.

    I have been buying their products for years and that isn't a
    description I recognise. My buying decisions are done on a per game
    basis, I couldn't give a hoot who the publisher is. I am not an EA
    fanboy, but I have always been pretty satisfied with their products.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 05:42:21 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:27:36 -0400, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>EA has a reputation of releasing low-quality games, or games lacking
    >>polish.
    >
    >I have been buying their products for years and that isn't a
    >description I recognise. My buying decisions are done on a per game
    >basis, I couldn't give a hoot who the publisher is. I am not an EA
    >fanboy, but I have always been pretty satisfied with their products.

    I wouldn't recognise that descriptiuon either years ago. But for some
    reason, there's a large chunk of haters that didn't like a few of the
    recent offerings.

    For example, the PlanetCNC community was stating months ago that EA has
    abandoned Zero Hour, at a state were cheaters would constantly mess up the
    game with the Scud Storm glitch. They eventually released a patch to 1.04,
    but the damage was already done.

    (Of course, this doesn't mean that all EA games are bad... IIRC, Need For
    Speed Underground seems to be on the good side. However, the RA2/Generals
    combo seemed to do the most damage.)
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    3 words for ya.... NEED FOR SPEED.

    Thanks, have a nice day.
    JMoney

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > wrong demo man as always!
    > ea is a failed publisher
    > no innovation! no creativity! nothing! except redoing the same
    > titles over and over again, and that's why last quarter they
    > had profits dropping to record levels cause they simply don't
    > have what it takes to be a great publisher... but that's not
    > the problem
    > the problem is cause they are totally INCAPABLE of becoming
    > a successful publisher they BUY other companies that are and
    > the last victim is ubisoft a historical independent company
    > that has given us many innovative titles and with ea HOSTILE,
    > let me repeat HOSTILE TAKE OVER will be a big loss for us
    > all pc gamers
    > ea trying to monopolize the market by buying other publisher
    > in a HOSTILE take over shows their true colors
    > ea is incapable of growing by their own, they can only do it
    > by buying innovative companies but after being bought those
    > companies stop being innovative and become just like mother ea
    > why did dice needed to be bought by ea?
    > why didn't dice remain independent like id software and others?
    > why does ea need to SWALLOW everything they see!!!!! why????
    > ea is a monopolistic company! ea is the microsoft of games!
    > fight against ea monopolistic intentions!
    > we want a free independent ubisoft!
    > no to ubisoft hostile take over by ea!
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
    > the post came from a google server and that the email address
    > is the now legendary sayNO2steam@yahoo.com

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    In article <3clr91td1u6mp4q5tcpcbc60u8605ssetp@4ax.com>,
    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    #AFAIK Microsoft has quite decent conditions for their employees. I
    #believe that's the main beef people have with EA, they treat their
    #workforce as expendable, like McDonalds does.

    Yup. But most of their workers are now contractors, who have filed some
    lawsuits as to how THEY have been treated.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > some user coming onto the server, walking in front of a
    > plane about to take off and using PTK to kill the pilot

    I've never seen that or even heard of it happening. It's never happened
    to me. People team kill to get planes, but a well admin'd server will
    have the person kicked and/or banned pretty soonish.

    > Even if EA isn't didn't do anything wrong, they get blamed. That's a sign
    > of bad PR.

    EA didn't do anything wrong. It's a waste of time a company like EA
    rebutting every single posting any idiot can be bothered to type. BFV
    was developed by Dice in Sweden, and only published by EA. Let's be
    honst - EA's sales, share price etc is unlikely to be affected by
    unfounded criticism on some fanboy forum site.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >> Why do people blame EA for securing "exclusive deals" and not the
    >> people who sell them the exclusive licenses?

    >I can't speak for other people, but for me, it's the fact that EA was a
    >willing participant.

    Both parties were willing participants. So, the question again:

    Why do people blame EA for securing "exclusive deals" and not the
    people who sell them the exclusive licenses?
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 15 Jun 2005 05:35:16 -0700, mrfredbloggs@altavista.co.uk wrote:

    >> some user coming onto the server, walking in front of a
    >> plane about to take off and using PTK to kill the pilot
    >
    >I've never seen that or even heard of it happening. It's never happened
    >to me. People team kill to get planes, but a well admin'd server will
    >have the person kicked and/or banned pretty soonish.

    That's here-say, actually - I've read about it on a forum where a person
    claimed it happened to him.

    Besides, most pubs are not well admined, and generally rely on call-votes
    or an admin to come after an hour of a single person trashing up gameplay
    on a server that disables votes.

    >> Even if EA isn't didn't do anything wrong, they get blamed. That's a sign
    >> of bad PR.
    >
    >EA didn't do anything wrong. It's a waste of time a company like EA
    >rebutting every single posting any idiot can be bothered to type.

    That is true, but they need to have at least a minimalist presence to give
    an illusion about them caring for their fan base.

    As an example, Valve appears to have better PR, as they post to their own
    forum, and appear to have close enough ties with the active PHL moderators.
    (They don't, but it's an illusion for those who aren't as experienced.)
    Compare this to EA, where PlanetCNC has a higher number of posters
    complaining about gameplay quality of RA2/Generals (where they are
    considered the publisher, since they owned the studio).

    ForumPlanet isn't really considered fanboy - it's major enough to be
    significant. In fact, I use it to pick up on some new developments
    (especially as the most active topics include the off-topic forums.)

    > BFV
    >was developed by Dice in Sweden, and only published by EA. Let's be
    >honst - EA's sales, share price etc is unlikely to be affected by
    >unfounded criticism on some fanboy forum site.

    True - stocks aren't really significantly affected by small scale events.
    But chaos theory states that a hurricane can theoretically be created by a
    butterfly flapping its wings.

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games