Closed

Is 256 meg video RAM overkill?

Last response: in Video Games
June 1, 2005 4:19:11 AM

I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS games like Doom3 and HL2
on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA, do I
really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 4:58:49 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Riddick wrote:

<snip>

how much money do you have and how long do you intend to keep
that graphic card to play pc games?
those are the deciding issues

if you have the money and want to invest in a graphic card that
will last 4/5 years i would go for a 256mb card if not 128mb is
just fine

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

> I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS
> games like Doom3 and HL2 on 1024X768
> resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X
> AA, do I really need more than 128 megs of video
> RAM?

It depends. Doom 3 can utilize up to 512MB. When playing Doom 3 on
Ultra Quality you will need that much to prevent texture thrashing.

I hardly notice any difference between High and Ultra Quality though so
I wouldn't recommend people purchase a 512MB card just for Doom 3.

256MB video memory is recommended for playing D3 with High Quality
texture settings but it's still a sight to behold even at Medium
Quality which works fine on 128MB cards.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

On 1 Jun 2005 00:19:11 -0700, "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS games like Doom3 and HL2
>on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA, do I
>really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?

Doom 3 will take advantage of it, I think HL2 just uses 128. There
aren't many games that will use the extra, but I would imagine they
will become more common very soon.
June 1, 2005 12:08:52 PM

steamKILLER wrote:

> if you have the money and want to invest in a graphic card that
> will last 4/5 years i would go for a 256mb card if not 128mb is
> just fine

I'm sorry, but that has got to be the DUMBEST advice I've read in a
long time.

No graphics card will last 4-5 years in the gaming community. That's
kind of like some clueless moron in year 2000 telling people to invest
in a Voodoo 3 32MB card so it'll last until 2005. Yeah, right.

Video card investments for PC gamers should be measured in terms of
months, not years. A high-end card today will probably be considered
low-end within 12-18 months.

If a person wants a game investment to last 4-5 years, then he should
seriously consider buying an XBox360 or a Playstation3. You're
guaranteed those things will let you play the most popular games for
the next 4-5 years.
June 1, 2005 1:33:45 PM

Riddick wrote:
> I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS games like Doom3 and HL2
> on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA, do I
> really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?

I can't play those games with 8x anis and 4x AA at 1024x768 on a 9800
Pro. If that's what you want to do then you are looking at the wrong
card. You'll need the next gen - X800+

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

Thusly "Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> Spake Unto All:

>I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS games like Doom3 and HL2
>on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA, do I
>really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?

At present you wont have any noticeable advantage of the extra RAM,
but it is conceivable there may be games in the future which have
bigger textures. I wouldn't hold my breath, though, as even the
next-gen consoles don't seem geared toward very large textures.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:10:12 PM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Riddick wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> how much money do you have and how long do you intend to keep
> that graphic card to play pc games?
> those are the deciding issues
>
> if you have the money and want to invest in a graphic card that
> will last 4/5 years i would go for a 256mb card if not 128mb is
> just fine
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

well done, that wasn't so hard now was it? you finally posted a non ranting
post, there's hope for you yet
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:39:50 PM

Thusly mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com Spake Unto All:

>Video card investments for PC gamers should be measured in terms of
>months, not years. A high-end card today will probably be considered
>low-end within 12-18 months.

At least that USED to be the case. "Thanks" to the consoles PC
hardware evolution has slowed down a lot, so a three year old gfx card
is still perfectly capable of running the latest & greatest today, and
do it well.

That said, there will probably be another growth spurt, if brief, when
the nextgen console games start getting ported to PC.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:39:51 PM

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> At least that USED to be the case. "Thanks" to the consoles PC
> hardware evolution has slowed down a lot, so a three year old gfx card
> is still perfectly capable of running the latest & greatest today, and
> do it well.

Quite right. If you were to turn the clock back three years, you would find
that the GeForce4 Ti series were the top video cards. I know this because I
almost bought a Ti4200 back in June of 2002. ATI's flagship in the spring
of 2002 was the Radeon 8500. Looking at game boxes today, I can see that
the GeForce4 Ti series, or the Radeon 8500, meets or exceeds the minimum
requirements of many of the new games out there. The Radeon 9700 Pro will
be three years old in the fall and I don't see it going away yet either.

That's not to say that three year old video cards will provide a great
gaming experience, but they are still workable. The 9800 Pro has been out
for about two years now, and I'm still very happy with the gaming experience
I'm getting from it.

> That said, there will probably be another growth spurt, if brief, when
> the nextgen console games start getting ported to PC.

Yeah, I think people who game on the PC who are hanging onto video cards
older than 18 months may find that they will have to make some sort of
change within the next year simply because of the new consoles and the
porting over of games, as you mention.

As far as 256MB video cards go, I would definitely recommend going with one
if a person plans to buy a mid-range or better card.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:50:04 PM

On 1 Jun 2005 00:58:49 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Riddick wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>how much money do you have and how long do you intend to keep
>that graphic card to play pc games?
>those are the deciding issues
>
>if you have the money and want to invest in a graphic card that
>will last 4/5 years i would go for a 256mb card if not 128mb is
>just fine

Or just go and get one of the BFG 512MB Nvidia cards!
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:49:09 AM

Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
1117614546.454.0@iris.uk.clara.net
> Riddick wrote:
>> I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS games like Doom3 and
>> HL2 on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA,
>> do I really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?
>>

> I can't play those games with 8x anis and 4x AA at 1024x768 on a 9800
> Pro. If that's what you want to do then you are looking at the wrong
> card. You'll need the next gen - X800+

it's fine on the 9800xt

--
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it
back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
June 2, 2005 12:49:10 AM

Highlandish wrote:
> Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
> 1117614546.454.0@iris.uk.clara.net
>
>>Riddick wrote:
>>
>>>I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS games like Doom3 and
>>>HL2 on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA,
>>>do I really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?
>>>

>>I can't play those games with 8x anis and 4x AA at 1024x768 on a 9800
>>Pro. If that's what you want to do then you are looking at the wrong
>>card. You'll need the next gen - X800+
>

> it's fine on the 9800xt

Really? On what settings? Tweaked the config files? On D3 on high
settings I had to change a line in the cfg file to reduce anistropy from
8 to 2 to stop the juddering when lift doors opened.

Anyways - I've since thought that the OP must have meant 6600GT. The
9600 doesnt come in a GT flavour does it?

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:32:35 AM

The gent. asked:
"............do I really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?...."
The info. I've seen seems to give that it about how high a resolution is
used ....and that more than 128MB is of little point unless you want to run
at (say..eg.) 1024x1600 or more
I sit close to a good CRT 19" monitor a can't see much improvement in over
1024x768 (HL2...DOOM3...Farcry)....
Luv mouse
@@@@@@@@@
June 2, 2005 2:28:31 AM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 21:32:35 +0100, "Trimble Bracegirdle"
<NOspam@spam.not> wrote:

>The gent. asked:
>"............do I really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?...."
>The info. I've seen seems to give that it about how high a resolution is
>used ....and that more than 128MB is of little point unless you want to run
>at (say..eg.) 1024x1600 or more

The frame buffer portion of video memory used is small compared to
textures which is growing in modern games.
June 2, 2005 6:26:39 AM

<mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Video card investments for PC gamers should be measured in terms of
> months, not years.

They've got the shelf life of milk.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:34:05 AM

Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
1117626886.91903.0@doris.uk.clara.net
> Highlandish wrote:
>> Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
>> 1117614546.454.0@iris.uk.clara.net

>>>I can't play those games with 8x anis and 4x AA at 1024x768 on a 9800
>>>Pro. If that's what you want to do then you are looking at the wrong
>>>card. You'll need the next gen - X800+
>>

>> it's fine on the 9800xt
>>

> Really? On what settings? Tweaked the config files? On D3 on high
> settings I had to change a line in the cfg file to reduce anistropy
> from 8 to 2 to stop the juddering when lift doors opened.

I have most card setting on application preference or quality, and the game
cranked up to its max. I get the occasionally slowdown, but only because I
have apps in the background running.

> Anyways - I've since thought that the OP must have meant 6600GT. The
> 9600 doesnt come in a GT flavour does it?

dunno

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
June 2, 2005 10:34:06 AM

Highlandish wrote:
> Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
> 1117626886.91903.0@doris.uk.clara.net
>
>>Highlandish wrote:
>>
>>>Quoth The Raven "Shawk"<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> in
>>>1117614546.454.0@iris.uk.clara.net

>>>it's fine on the 9800xt
>>>

>>Really? On what settings? Tweaked the config files? On D3 on high
>>settings I had to change a line in the cfg file to reduce anistropy
>>from 8 to 2 to stop the juddering when lift doors opened.
>>

> I have most card setting on application preference or quality, and the game
> cranked up to its max. I get the occasionally slowdown, but only because I
> have apps in the background running.

Thanks. The XT sounds like a decent card. My next one (hopefully in
about 6 wks) will be the X800XL - seems like the best bang-for-buck card
at the moment.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:34:07 AM

> Thanks. The XT sounds like a decent card. My next one (hopefully in
> about 6 wks) will be the X800XL - seems like the best bang-for-buck card
> at the moment.

On the ATI side of things, there's no doubt that the X800XL provides the
best bang for the buck for gamers at the moment. I've even seen the AGP
version selling for $400 Canadian and I'm happy to *finally* see decent
video cards fall into that price point. Until recently, you had to settle
on a mid-range video card for $250 to $350 or fork out $550 or more for a
high-end card. There was really nothing inbetween before. It's great to
see a nice $400 card sandwiched in the middle like that. I hope that when
my time to buy a new video card comes again that I can get something for
$400 since I really do not want to pay $600 (including sales tax) for
another video card ever again. Well, unless I win the lottery, that is!
June 2, 2005 12:45:22 PM

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>
>>Thanks. The XT sounds like a decent card. My next one (hopefully in
>>about 6 wks) will be the X800XL - seems like the best bang-for-buck card
>>at the moment.
>>

> On the ATI side of things, there's no doubt that the X800XL provides the
> best bang for the buck for gamers at the moment. I've even seen the AGP
> version selling for $400 Canadian and I'm happy to *finally* see decent
> video cards fall into that price point. Until recently, you had to settle
> on a mid-range video card for $250 to $350 or fork out $550 or more for a
> high-end card. There was really nothing inbetween before. It's great to
> see a nice $400 card sandwiched in the middle like that. I hope that when
> my time to buy a new video card comes again that I can get something for
> $400 since I really do not want to pay $600 (including sales tax) for
> another video card ever again. Well, unless I win the lottery, that is!

Yup. I'll be getting the AGP version. My 9800Pro will be sold to a
relative (for around half-price), his 9200 is being passed on (for a
pint of beer) - everyone's happy.

Over the next 18months or so I'll be saving for a new rebuild and I'll
see what PCI-E cards are mid-range then - designs should have settled
down by then and bugs (if there are any) should be ironed out.

(With the cash for the 9800Pro my X800XL will cost me around £170 GBP -
which is nice) :-)

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:13:31 PM

"Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm planning to buy a 6600 GT (corrected typo). If I play FPS games like
Doom3 and HL2
> on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA, do I
> really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?

Just wondering, are you looking at the PCIe or AGP version of the 6600GT?
Also, is your concern the quality of the graphics that you can get with more
video ram?

I'm on www.pricewatch.com and I only see the 6600GT (AGP/PCIe) in 128mb
version. If you thought that you really must have 256mb of video ram,
then you'd need something like the 6800 GT 256mb, and its almost double in
price.

Note: Below are two links that just give some benchmarks for several
different video cards running Doom 3. If you scroll down, you can find the
results for 1024 with 8xAF/4xAA.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_c... (AGP)
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c... (PCIe)

The 6600 GT PCIe gets about 40 fps in 1024 with 8xAF/4xAA. The AGP version
of this card must not have been out when they did this test. But I would
guess that the AGP version would be close to the PCIe flavor.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index...
Go here to see the graphics improvement in Doom3 for different amounts of
RAM. IMHO I'd be hard press to notice some of these graphic improvements
during game play while the creatures from hell are chasing my butt. ;-)

http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/artic...
Some more benchmarks for Doom3 and HL2.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2406&p=2
256MB vs. 512MB - The Real World Performance Difference. (not much
difference in 256mb vs 512mb. too bad they didn't include 128mb in this
test).

http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?directory=ati_x...
Another benchmark, and you can see where the extra video ram didn't help.

http://www.gradewinner.com/p/articles/mi_zdext/is_20040...
You can read about the different Doom3 quality settings. "...There's a
sizeable jump in visual quality from Low to Medium, but from there,
increasing quality level doesn't make a huge difference in how good the game
looks. The best thing about High and Ultra quality is the addition of 8x
anisotropic filtering, and of course an increase in resolution...."

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1812461,00.a...
"...That said, the Radeon X800XL in a 256MB frame buffer remains a solid
value with street prices currently around $290"

Bottom line: For the $, you'd probably be ok with 6600 GT 128mb for at
least a year. However, there's no telling what the software developers are
planning to do down the road with newer releases with regard to amount of
video ram. After a year or two, the 256mb & 512mb video cards could be
selling for a lot less.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:34:33 PM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 02:26:39 GMT, "Bill" <kgorton@msn.com> wrote:

><mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Video card investments for PC gamers should be measured in terms of
>> months, not years.
>>

>They've got the shelf life of milk.

Hopefully not that stuff they sell on trains in the UK! ;-)
June 3, 2005 12:18:53 AM

Nice post - thanks for looking that up.

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.
You don't think it might be better if you worked your way toward lion
taming, say, via banking...
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 7:51:45 AM

"Riddick" <chromallly@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm planning to buy a 9600 GT. If I play FPS games like Doom3 and HL2
> on 1024X768 resolution with 8X anisotropic filtering and 4X AA, do I
> really need more than 128 megs of video RAM?

Yes. RAM is always pricey, and by the time you need 256 MB, a card with
better technology will be available at a lower price... and have 256 MB
memory.
February 26, 2010 1:52:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!