RAID and another SATA hard drive setup in new Dell question

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

I bought a new Dell XPS. I love it.
I want to install the SATA drive from my old computer to the new one
just to move files. How do I do this? I know how intall but not set up
as a non-RAID drive)
I have two 160 SATA drives in the Dell as RAID 0 setup and the system
will find the other drive at boot up but Window XP Home Edition won't
start. Win XP just won't load.
Can I plug the old SATA into a DVD cable and have it recognized from
there.
When I go into the BIOS and try to get the system to setup the hard
drive it says if I change my system to RAID and single HD I will loose
informtaion. I have my RAID drives set up the way I want them.
Thanks in advance.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

I plan to setup a network but the reason I replaced th system because
the old one had a bad habit of eating Vid cards about once a year.
Figured I would transfer info from the hard drive then have my IT buddy
go through the old system and see what the heck is going on. Hopefully
it won't cost much.
Thanks

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

Thanks Joe.

I was figuring that. But I thought Dell would have a way of moving
drives since they setup the RAID in my XPS. Guess they figured a buyer
wouldn't have a bad old machine or have no need to move data.

Since the old system is down, guess I'm poop out of luck until I get
it up and running. Maybe put the HD in a different non RAID sytem and
network.

I appreciate your help in this.

On 1 Jun 2005 04:46:09 -0700, "Victory" <jeffscollins@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I bought a new Dell XPS. I love it.
>I want to install the SATA drive from my old computer to the new one
>just to move files. How do I do this? I know how intall but not set up
>as a non-RAID drive)

Well, you cannot do this with the RAID level you chose. RAID 0 is
called striping, and it stripes the two drives into one logical drive.
Data for a given file can therefore be stored on BOTH drives (e.g.,
part of the file on drive 0, part on drive 1). Thus, if you break the
stripe, you are screwed (all your data is lost).

Had you chosen a different RAID level, like RAID 1 (mirroring), you
coul break the mirror and snag the data of of either drive.

>I have two 160 SATA drives in the Dell as RAID 0 setup and the system
>will find the other drive at boot up but Window XP Home Edition won't
>start. Win XP just won't load.
>Can I plug the old SATA into a DVD cable and have it recognized from
>there.

Your RAID was most likely hardware enabled through a separate disk
controller, or the RAID controller was built into your old
motherboard. If you have a separate disk controller, you can put the
controller in your new Dell, install the drivers, and the drives will
come up just fine. You may have to play around with boot order and
stuff to make sure you are booting off those old drives, but with some
time, you can get it working.

If your RAID was via your motherboard, there is nothing you can do,
really. You would need a compatible RAID chipset to attach the drives
to, and your Dell system probably does not have a compatible RAID
controller built into it.

>When I go into the BIOS and try to get the system to setup the hard
>drive it says if I change my system to RAID and single HD I will loose
>informtaion. I have my RAID drives set up the way I want them.
>Thanks in advance.

This makes me think your RAID is built into your old motherboard, and
its warning is 100% true. See my initial info on RAID 0.

Your easiest solution is to network the two systems. A simple categoy
5 crossover cable costing $8 from Radio Shack will fit the bill. Both
of your systems should already have a network controller, so you can
directly connect them to each other via a crossover cable (not a
regular cat5 cable, but a crossover cable). Or, you could simply buy a
$30 switch and some normal cat5 cables and connect the two systems
that way. Configure the IP stuff and copy away.

If your old system has a DVD+/-R or CD+/-R, you could try using that
as a backup device, but it is ineffecient. An external USB drive could
be used as well to do a backup then a restore. All in all, the $8
crossover cable is your best bet.

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
reply.
Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

shawk

Victory wrote:
> I bought a new Dell XPS. I love it.
> I want to install the SATA drive from my old computer to the new one
> just to move files. How do I do this? I know how intall but not set up
> as a non-RAID drive)
> I have two 160 SATA drives in the Dell as RAID 0 setup and the system
> will find the other drive at boot up but Window XP Home Edition won't
> start. Win XP just won't load.
> Can I plug the old SATA into a DVD cable and have it recognized from
> there.
> When I go into the BIOS and try to get the system to setup the hard
> drive it says if I change my system to RAID and single HD I will loose
> informtaion. I have my RAID drives set up the way I want them.
> Thanks in advance.

Dont know the answer sorry (someone here should though). However if the
hard-drive is a decent size and you'd like to use it consider something
like the Icy Box. For around £30 you get an enclosure that holds your
old HD and you can plug it in to your PC through USB or SATA. You can
copy files back and forth to your hearts delight. I use one here to
make an old 80GB HD useful. Havent got a link but a quick google will
throw one up.

Alternatively if you are keeping the old PC why not set up a network and
copy files across that way?

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

Joe Granto <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com> once tried to test me with:

> Well, you cannot do this with the RAID level you chose. RAID 0 is
> called striping, and it stripes the two drives into one logical drive.
> Data for a given file can therefore be stored on BOTH drives (e.g.,
> part of the file on drive 0, part on drive 1). Thus, if you break the
> stripe, you are screwed (all your data is lost).
>
> Had you chosen a different RAID level, like RAID 1 (mirroring), you
> coul break the mirror and snag the data of of either drive.

He wants to pull data off his old SATA from the old system, not off the 2
RAID drives in his new system. I don't know why his new system wouldn't
allow him to install a 3rd drive that is not part of the RAID array?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On 1 Jun 2005 08:02:00 -0700, "Victory" <jeffscollins@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Joe.
>
>I was figuring that. But I thought Dell would have a way of moving
>drives since they setup the RAID in my XPS. Guess they figured a buyer
>wouldn't have a bad old machine or have no need to move data.
>
>Since the old system is down, guess I'm poop out of luck until I get
>it up and running. Maybe put the HD in a different non RAID sytem and
>network.
>
>I appreciate your help in this.

I have been told I misread your post, and you want to copy data off an
old system with SATA drives to your new RAID system. This is different
from what I explained previously, and has a much better chance of
success.

Your new system with RAID should have several drive connections if it
is like mine. You should have 2-4 connectors for RAID, and 2-4
connectors for non-RAID. You should currently being using 2
connections for RAID. This means that there could be two (or more)
RAID-capable connections (if your system supports 4+ RAID drives), and
the standard non-RAID conenctions (typically 2-4, as stated
previously).

As long as your non-RAID connections are the same flavor as your OLD
drive (e.g., IDE, SATA, etc.), you can attach your old drive to the
non-RAID connectors. However, your BIOS needs to be configured such
that the RAID drives are the primary boot drive. I have never tried
doing this, but it SHOULD work. The only snafu I can think of is that
the motherboard BIOS will let you do RAID or non-RAID, but not both
simultaneously.

Again, an $8 crossover cable is your safest bet.

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
reply.
Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002

Sorry, been away a while.
That's what I was trying to do. Have the 2 original drives as Raid 0
and have the "old" SATA drive as another drive that is not in RAID. I
even tried unplugging the DVD drive and plugging the "old" drive in
there but still no go.
Yeah, the crossover cable is the way to go if the old system was
functional.
When I plug the third drive in and change the BIOS WinXP doesn't start,
not even in Safe Mode. During the boot process the third hard drive
shows up.
Something in there needs to be changed, I guess. The RAID setup says I
will loose data. I'm still searching.
Thanks.