Powered speaker with mic input?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 2, 2004 5:22:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have a client, a bookstore, that occasionally needs a small PA for
readings by authors. They are considering getting a small system of their
own to minimize the hassle (hassle? me??) of calling me up to bring stuff
down.

I figure that something like a powered cab with a mic input is what they
need, and I'm looking for real-world suggestions. They don't need a lot of
volume or fancy stuff, and being a small independent store, they don't have
a whle lot of money to throw around. I want to make sure that they don't
end up with something dumb (I could see them being sold a Gorilla amp and a
$10 SM58 clone).

I want to keep this as simple as possible. Plugging in a mic and an AC plug
should complete the setup; I don't want to end up with mixers and amps and
such, even though they might provide a superior end product.

My thoughts are that they could look at things like the Anchor
http://www.anchoraudio.com/an1.lasso or
http://www.anchoraudio.com/anx.lasso,

or possibly something like a Yorkville keyboard amp
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=16&id...

Thoughts, folks?

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 5:22:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Well, you can look at the items you've listed (all fine
pieces, indeed)or you could risk the flames and arrows and
take a look:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=S4...

It's true - I used the "C-word" in public. And, as with the
"P-word", the "B-word" and several other dissed product
names, it is a very good value, a fine little system for the
purpose, and may help make your client a friend for life.

I installed one of these little systems 5 or so years ago
for a corporate customer of mine in one of their meeting
rooms that also doubles as a cafeteria. When used in the
room, it is coupled to six of "C's" PM5 wall-mounted
speakers. The company also uses it when they do their
outdoor picnics, and in that situation they run it on the
internal battery (which gets recharged when plugged into AC
holes). It works very well and they are very happy with it.
They just recently called to find out about a replacement
battery. Available from "C" for $40.00 and they are just
down the road.

Just another option to look at. I think Fender also has/had
a portable and simple to setup/use system.

T. Maki
Riverside, CA

David O'H wrote:

> I have a client, a bookstore, that occasionally needs a small PA for
> readings by authors. They are considering getting a small system of their
> own to minimize the hassle (hassle? me??) of calling me up to bring stuff
> down.
> I want to keep this as simple as possible. Plugging in a mic and an AC plug
> should complete the setup;
September 3, 2004 12:12:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>I want to keep this as simple as possible. Plugging in a mic and an AC plug
>should complete the setup; I don't want to end up with mixers and amps and
>such, even though they might provide a superior end product.
>
>My thoughts are that they could look at things like the Anchor
>http://www.anchoraudio.com/an1.lasso or
>http://www.anchoraudio.com/anx.lasso,
>
>or possibly something like a Yorkville keyboard amp
>http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=16&id...
>
>Thoughts, folks?
>
>Dave O'Heare
>oheareATmagmaDOTca

American Musical Supply currently has a stockpile of B-Stock Behringer
B300s which do pretty much exactly what you want. They are selling for
$279
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-B300-BSTK--b...

My drummer just got 2 to use for monitors to simplify our pa for our 3
piece band. He used then with his other band last week and said they
worked really well, I have not heard them yet but will report when we
use them.
September 3, 2004 2:08:10 AM

"David O'H" <.> wrote in message news:eN-dnY-VOudjyarcRVn-oQ@magma.ca...

> I have a client, a bookstore, that occasionally needs a small PA for
> readings by authors. They are considering getting a small system of their
> own to minimize the hassle (hassle? me??) of calling me up to bring stuff
> down.
>
> I figure that something like a powered cab with a mic input is what they
> need, and I'm looking for real-world suggestions. They don't need a lot
of
> volume or fancy stuff, and being a small independent store, they don't
have
> a whle lot of money to throw around. I want to make sure that they don't
> end up with something dumb (I could see them being sold a Gorilla amp and
> $10 SM58 clone).
>
> I want to keep this as simple as possible. Plugging in a mic and an AC
plug
> should complete the setup; I don't want to end up with mixers and amps and
> such, even though they might provide a superior end product.
>
> My thoughts are that they could look at things like the Anchor
> http://www.anchoraudio.com/an1.lasso or
> http://www.anchoraudio.com/anx.lasso,
>
> or possibly something like a Yorkville keyboard amp
> http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=16&id...
>
> Thoughts, folks?
>
> Dave O'Heare
> oheareATmagmaDOTca

Look up "Galaxy Audio", and see what they have. The "Hotspot" and a half
decent mic might be all you need to project the voice.
They're only the size of a shoebox,, can't get much easier.
Sonny
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 3:15:47 AM

"SONNY" <SONNY27D@COMCAST.NET> wrote in message

> "David O'H" <.> wrote in message news:eN-dnY-VOudjyarcRVn-oQ@magma.ca...
> >
> > I have a client, a bookstore, that occasionally needs a small PA for
> > readings by authors. They are considering getting a small system of
their
> > own to minimize the hassle (hassle? me??) of calling me up to bring
stuff
> > down.

look up "Fender PA" see if the PA-150 looks like a better price.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 5:30:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"David O'H" <.> wrote in message news:<eN-dnY-VOudjyarcRVn-oQ@magma.ca>...
> I have a client, a bookstore, that occasionally needs a small PA for
> readings by authors. They are considering getting a small system of their
> own to minimize the hassle (hassle? me??) of calling me up to bring stuff
> down.
>
> I figure that something like a powered cab with a mic input is what they
> need, and I'm looking for real-world suggestions. They don't need a lot of
> volume or fancy stuff, and being a small independent store, they don't have
> a whle lot of money to throw around. I want to make sure that they don't
> end up with something dumb (I could see them being sold a Gorilla amp and a
> $10 SM58 clone).

Even beofr you posted the links, I was thinking of the Anchor
AN-1000X-- I have a few of these in my collection from $diety knows
where, and they don't get much use, but they do fit the niche fairly
well, and if you want them to they can be fairly volume intensive.

Would it be my choice for anything I do on a regular basis? No. But
for the need you have I think one would work quite well (They also
don't take up much space when not in use).

Anchor makes a version with a builtin RF receiver for a wireless mic.
I'm not sure how big a fan I am of their RF stuff, but when the sales
rep visited me to demonstrate it seemed to have decent range... The
beltpack's build quality was so/so, and the mic element used an 1/8"
TS plug, but if this isn't for a pro sound application I'm not sure
how much weight these deserve.

Lincoln
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 12:33:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

liquidator wrote:

< snip >

> Behringer on the other hand is getting better not worse. And most of the bad
> rap Behringer gets is flat out lies.Like professional witnesses who can't
> even remember the model number of the product thay researched and then claim
> it was taken off the market after behringer won the court case. Can you say
> Duh?
>
> Disclaimer- I don't sell Behringer and I don't own any, primarily because
> I've gotten rid of 90% or so of my gear in the last 2 years. I'm officially
> retired and work when I want to, mostly for blues acts. I do sound for the
> fun of it once again- other investments provide my income now.
>
> But I have no qualms about recommending behringer as low to midrange gear,
> whichever is appropriate for the particular item.

Just anecdotal - but we get to hear about the customer returns from UK MI shops.

Certainly - in its early days Behringer wasn't noted for reliability. Then it
improved. More recently we've heard that returns are on the up again.

Seeing as Behringer is for ever slashing price - it begs the question whether
they are still using reliable sub-contractors to manufacture for them.

Graham
September 3, 2004 1:30:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hello!
Keyboard-Amp? There are better solutions.

There are plenty of powered PA-Speakers with Mic-Preamp in a small range.

Have a look at e.g. the FBT Jolly-Range.
September 4, 2004 1:29:07 AM

> Just anecdotal - but we get to hear about the customer returns from UK MI
shops.

> Certainly - in its early days Behringer wasn't noted for reliability. Then
it
> improved. More recently we've heard that returns are on the up again.
>
> Seeing as Behringer is for ever slashing price - it begs the question
whether
> they are still using reliable sub-contractors to manufacture for them.

Rumor has it Behringer has changed manufacturers. Some of the reliability
may be teething problems. time will tell. I can say that Carvin has never
posted to this group trying to help customers out, Behringer has.

As far as returns, I funded some friends for a while who were buying
customer returned electronics. Some batches 80% worked fine with no issues.

I suspect that you'll see the quality control get uder control. If not, I'll
switch to de-recommending those products with problems.

I consider for instance a DCX to be a lot better deal than a Driverack PA.
Then again I can use its capabilities.

Live sound is more a spectator sport for me these days. But it gets in your
blood and it's very hard to quit completely.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 3:01:27 AM

"T Maki" <tmaki@pe.net> wrote in message news:4137619E.E5BF0968@pe.net...
> Well, you can look at the items you've listed (all fine
> pieces, indeed)or you could risk the flames and arrows and
> take a look:
>
> http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=S4...

Thanks, but clicking on the link took me to a "Select your country" page.
Doing that and searching the Carvin website didn't bring up anything much
related to what I was looking for.

What am I missing?

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:07:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hmmm... works okay for me ...

Just go to http://www.carvin.com
Scroll down to and click on "Sound Systems" at the bottom
of the page ("from $399.99")
When the new page displays, click on "4 to 16 channel
portable systems"
When the new page displays, scroll all the way to the bottom
and click on "Battery Powered" for the S400.

HTH

TM

David O'H wrote:

> > http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=S4...
>
> Thanks, but clicking on the link took me to a "Select your country" page.
> Doing that and searching the Carvin website didn't bring up anything much
> related to what I was looking for.
>
> What am I missing?
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 11:50:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Much as I hate to say it, it seems to be a problem with Netscape; the page
loads fine in IE.

Sigh...

"T Maki" <tmaki@pe.net> wrote in message news:4139DA1E.740B2A09@pe.net...
> Hmmm... works okay for me ...
>
> Just go to http://www.carvin.com
> Scroll down to and click on "Sound Systems" at the bottom
> of the page ("from $399.99")
> When the new page displays, click on "4 to 16 channel
> portable systems"
> When the new page displays, scroll all the way to the bottom
> and click on "Battery Powered" for the S400.
>
> HTH
>

> TM
>
> David O'H wrote:
> >

> > > http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=S4...
> >
> > Thanks, but clicking on the link took me to a "Select your country"
page.
> > Doing that and searching the Carvin website didn't bring up anything
much
> > related to what I was looking for.
> >
> > What am I missing?
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 2:39:48 AM

David O'H wrote:
> Much as I hate to say it, it seems to be a problem with Netscape; the page
> loads fine in IE.

Time to download 7.1, that works fine.
!