How Many PC Gamers?

http://www.costik.com/weblog/

"Off the top of my head, I told someone recently that I guessed there were
5-10m hardcore PC gamers in the US, meaning someone who buys two or more
games in the course of a year--and I was asked if I could justify that
claim. Poking around online, I actually don't find much... The Entertainment
Software Association says 54% of US households buy at least one game a year,
but they don't break out PC from console. Of course they also say 52 million
PC games were sold in 2003, which makes 10m look maybe low. The ESA used to
break out PC games more, at least in terms of demographic information (PC
gamers skew older), but I guess they've stopped doing that for some reason
(probably because they don't think the PC is particularly important any
more)."

http://www.theesa.com/files/2005EssentialFacts.pdf

I was surprised to see that "Stragety" games out sell "Shooters" in the PC
Gamer pie chart on page 6. And when you compare this chart to the Video
chart, Stragety isn't even on there. Plus check out the "Action" category
between the two charts. "Action" is #1 on the Video chart.

Finally, the bottom line on page 13. Two charts show the sales of PC &
Video games from 1996 to 2004. Video games have always sold in the
billions, while PC Games are only in the millions. Ouch! Yet they never
follow this up as to why. There's more video game players, more pirates on
the PC side, video gamers get their parents to spend the $ whereas PC Gamers
are cheap b#st#rds, ...
8 answers Last reply
More about gamers

    >I was surprised to see that "Stragety" games out sell "Shooters" in the PC Gamer pie chart

    Not surprising when you think about how wide the industry definition of
    the "strategy" category is. It includes military games, sims, 4x
    games, games like Railroad Tycoon, Risk, etc. Almost anything that
    isn't an RPG or FPS or Action title gets lumped into Strategy.

    > Video games from 1996 to 2004. Video games have always sold in the
    > billions, while PC Games are only in the millions. Ouch!

    ouch to who? US or PC game manufacturers?

    But really it's not that surprising. The only thing you can do with a
    console is buy games to play on it, so in that sense it's like saying people
    with dvd players buy more dvds than people with PCs, or to the extreme;
    people with cars buy more gas than people without cars even when there are
    more people without cars than with.

    Interesting

    x-no-archive: yes

    OldDog wrote:

    <snip>

    thanks olddog!
    great stuff!
    lots of info!
    lots to think about and analyze!
    i propose to this group we read the doc very carefully and
    then make some constructive discussions about it

    when you want you can do the best post of this group
    thanks again!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
    the post came from a google server and that the email address
    is the now legendary sayNO2steam@yahoo.com

    "OldDog" wrote

    > [snipped]
    > Finally, the bottom line on page 13. Two charts show the sales of PC &
    > Video games from 1996 to 2004. Video games have always sold in the
    > billions, while PC Games are only in the millions. Ouch!

    What do you mean by that Dog?

    You're not suggesting that a video game has sold a billion copies?

    "Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "OldDog" wrote
    >>
    >> [snipped]
    >> Finally, the bottom line on page 13. Two charts show the sales of PC &
    >> Video games from 1996 to 2004. Video games have always sold in the
    >> billions, while PC Games are only in the millions. Ouch!
    >
    > What do you mean by that Dog?
    >
    > You're not suggesting that a video game has sold a billion copies?

    He said 'games', not 'game'. Plural. Overall sales are in the billions.

    "Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "OldDog" wrote
    > >
    > > [snipped]
    > > Finally, the bottom line on page 13. Two charts show the sales of PC &
    > > Video games from 1996 to 2004. Video games have always sold in the
    > > billions, while PC Games are only in the millions. Ouch!
    >
    > What do you mean by that Dog?
    >
    > You're not suggesting that a video game has sold a billion copies?

    No.

    Look at the chart for Video game sales. Its in the billions. Now check
    out the chart for pc game sales. Time to run out to the store and get some
    pc games. That is if they don't come in a box and the manual is on the
    CD/DVD..

    "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
    > http://www.costik.com/weblog/
    >
    > "Off the top of my head, I told someone recently that I guessed there were
    > 5-10m hardcore PC gamers in the US, meaning someone who buys two or more
    > games in the course of a year--

    Buy 2 games in a year and you're "hard core"?

PC gaming Games Video Games