Video card Upgrade for BF2, Doom3 etc

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2005 9:34:01 PM

Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering if
an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain to
play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at mid-market cards.

TIA

RobM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2005 9:34:02 PM

Read some reviews. It seems to be pretty decent.

"Robert Masters" <rob.masters@iinet.net.au> schreef in bericht
> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering if an
> upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain to play
> games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at mid-market cards.
>
> TIA
>
> RobM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 5, 2005 9:34:02 PM

Robert Masters wrote:

> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering
> if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance
> gain to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at
> mid-market cards.
>
> TIA
>
> RobM

hell yes.
The 6600gt hammers, its only a little bit slower than the 6800, and a
lot cheaper.

--
DalienX
a b U Graphics card

What's the rest of your system? A new vid card won't help at all if you've
got an old system under 2ghz without plenty of ram(768-1gb) and a fast hard
drive.

"Robert Masters" <rob.masters@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering if
> an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain to
> play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at mid-market
cards.

> TIA
>
> RobM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 4:04:48 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Robert Masters wrote:

> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am
> wondering if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough
> of a performance gain to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc.
> I am only looking at mid-market cards.
>
> TIA
>
> RobM

first the answer is yes, the 6600gt beats even the 9800 so it
would be an upgrade and you would see it in games like doom3
but my advice would not be to buy it but instead wait
your 9600 will for sure play any pc game release during this
year, and instead of changing to a 6600 i would in a years
time change to a 6800gt when that card have drop bellow the
200 bucks mark
you probably have a agp system so the 6800gt would be the
best and last upgrade you would do to your system... after
that only a new pc would do but with a geforce 6800gt you
would still have many years ahead to play pc games with your
current system
conclusion...
make the sacrifice of postponing your graphic card upgrade
and use your 9600 card throughout 2005 and half 2006 and in
a years time buy a 6800gt bellow the 200 bucks range and you
would have power to play pc games till the end of the decade

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
the post came from a google server and that the email address
is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2005 3:09:22 PM

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Robert Masters wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am
>> wondering if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough
>> of a performance gain to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc.
>> I am only looking at mid-market cards.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> RobM
>
> first the answer is yes, the 6600gt beats even the 9800 so it
> would be an upgrade and you would see it in games like doom3
> but my advice would not be to buy it but instead wait
> your 9600 will for sure play any pc game release during this
> year, and instead of changing to a 6600 i would in a years
> time change to a 6800gt when that card have drop bellow the
> 200 bucks mark
> you probably have a agp system so the 6800gt would be the
> best and last upgrade you would do to your system... after
> that only a new pc would do but with a geforce 6800gt you
> would still have many years ahead to play pc games with your
> current system
> conclusion...
> make the sacrifice of postponing your graphic card upgrade
> and use your 9600 card throughout 2005 and half 2006 and in
> a years time buy a 6800gt bellow the 200 bucks range and you
> would have power to play pc games till the end of the decade

When you say end of decade do you mean the end of 2009 or end of 2010? If
you mean the former, and he gets his new card in the middle of next year,
that'll mean it will only last 3.5 years. Mine's lasted 3.5 years now, but
I do not intend to replace it anytime soon (a ti4200 64mb version)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 4:05:44 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Interesting Ian wrote:

<snip>

i only advice him to postpone and buy it in middle of 2006
cause 6800gt is still very expensive and not in the price
range he talked about, the mid-market cards
obviously the best was he buying now but the price is still
too high for that
four years of gaming for a graphic card is still pretty good
but that doesn't mean by end of 2010, 6800gt will be totally
obsolete... and i believe it will not and i hope it will not
so probably it will not be 3.5 years of gaming but 5 or even
6 years of good pc gaming pleasure... we'll have to wait and
see...

> I do not intend to replace it anytime soon (a ti4200 64mb

that's cool and i agree with you
i also like to fully optimize my investment
a graphic card should always last at least 4 years

and can you run with decent quality titles released last year
and this year? like doom3, farcry, ut2004, riddick, boiling
point, painkiller, tribes vengeance? ...i really hope so

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
the post came from a google server and that the email address
is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2005 6:45:08 PM

Robert Masters wrote:
> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering
> if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain
> to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at
> mid-market cards.

Check out:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_c...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/gefor...

So, in Doom, you'll go from 25 FPS to 68 FPS (1024x768), if the rest of your
system can keep up with the card. That's a big caveat. I was impressed by
how
much my gaming improved by getting a memory upgrade from 512MB to
1.25GB (on a system with a 9800 Pro); I was able to increase all HL2
settings
to the max, and can now play Vampire: Bloodlines at max settings with no
stuttering - though the frame rate is still relatively slow as it's
CPU-bound).

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2005 9:03:18 PM

Well I went a got a Leadtek 6600GT and all I can say is WOW. Painkiller
and HL2 were on 800x600 and still a bit choppy in places. Now the games
are running silky smooth at 1280x1024 for me :)  THe harware HD video
decoding rocks. Before this card I could not watch HD videos without
massive lag. No the videos play smooth with only 57% CPU hit! (hd 720p
demos from MS HD content site).

Yipee should last me the next two years.

RobM

Robert Masters wrote:
> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering if
> an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain to
> play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at mid-market
> cards.
>
> TIA
>
> RobM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2005 9:03:19 PM

> Well I went a got a Leadtek 6600GT and all I can say is WOW. Painkiller
> and HL2 were on 800x600 and still a bit choppy in places. Now the games
> are running silky smooth at 1280x1024 for me :)  THe harware HD video
> decoding rocks. Before this card I could not watch HD videos without
> massive lag. No the videos play smooth with only 57% CPU hit! (hd 720p
> demos from MS HD content site).
>
> Yipee should last me the next two years.
>
> RobM

Though I myself am sticking with ATI, it's generally agreed that the 6600GT
provides the most bang for the buck right now. And as always, it's good to
hear of a positive upgrade experience! Just as the 9600XT was probably good
for the last couple of years, no doubt the 6600GT will be decent for the
next two years!
!