Video card Upgrade for BF2, Doom3 etc

Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering if
an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain to
play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at mid-market cards.

TIA

RobM
9 answers Last reply
More about video card upgrade doom3

    Read some reviews. It seems to be pretty decent.

    Robert Masters wrote:

    > Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering
    > if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance
    > gain to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at
    > mid-market cards.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > RobM

    hell yes.
    The 6600gt hammers, its only a little bit slower than the 6800, and a
    lot cheaper.

    --
    DalienX

    What's the rest of your system? A new vid card won't help at all if you've
    got an old system under 2ghz without plenty of ram(768-1gb) and a fast hard
    drive.

    "Robert Masters" <rob.masters@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering if
    > an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain to
    > play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at mid-market
    cards.

    > TIA
    >
    > RobM

    x-no-archive: yes

    Robert Masters wrote:

    > Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am
    > wondering if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough
    > of a performance gain to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc.
    > I am only looking at mid-market cards.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > RobM

    first the answer is yes, the 6600gt beats even the 9800 so it
    would be an upgrade and you would see it in games like doom3
    but my advice would not be to buy it but instead wait
    your 9600 will for sure play any pc game release during this
    year, and instead of changing to a 6600 i would in a years
    time change to a 6800gt when that card have drop bellow the
    200 bucks mark
    you probably have a agp system so the 6800gt would be the
    best and last upgrade you would do to your system... after
    that only a new pc would do but with a geforce 6800gt you
    would still have many years ahead to play pc games with your
    current system
    conclusion...
    make the sacrifice of postponing your graphic card upgrade
    and use your 9600 card throughout 2005 and half 2006 and in
    a years time buy a 6800gt bellow the 200 bucks range and you
    would have power to play pc games till the end of the decade

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
    the post came from a google server and that the email address
    is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Robert Masters wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am
    >> wondering if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough
    >> of a performance gain to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc.
    >> I am only looking at mid-market cards.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> RobM
    >
    > first the answer is yes, the 6600gt beats even the 9800 so it
    > would be an upgrade and you would see it in games like doom3
    > but my advice would not be to buy it but instead wait
    > your 9600 will for sure play any pc game release during this
    > year, and instead of changing to a 6600 i would in a years
    > time change to a 6800gt when that card have drop bellow the
    > 200 bucks mark
    > you probably have a agp system so the 6800gt would be the
    > best and last upgrade you would do to your system... after
    > that only a new pc would do but with a geforce 6800gt you
    > would still have many years ahead to play pc games with your
    > current system
    > conclusion...
    > make the sacrifice of postponing your graphic card upgrade
    > and use your 9600 card throughout 2005 and half 2006 and in
    > a years time buy a 6800gt bellow the 200 bucks range and you
    > would have power to play pc games till the end of the decade

    When you say end of decade do you mean the end of 2009 or end of 2010? If
    you mean the former, and he gets his new card in the middle of next year,
    that'll mean it will only last 3.5 years. Mine's lasted 3.5 years now, but
    I do not intend to replace it anytime soon (a ti4200 64mb version)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Interesting Ian wrote:

    <snip>

    i only advice him to postpone and buy it in middle of 2006
    cause 6800gt is still very expensive and not in the price
    range he talked about, the mid-market cards
    obviously the best was he buying now but the price is still
    too high for that
    four years of gaming for a graphic card is still pretty good
    but that doesn't mean by end of 2010, 6800gt will be totally
    obsolete... and i believe it will not and i hope it will not
    so probably it will not be 3.5 years of gaming but 5 or even
    6 years of good pc gaming pleasure... we'll have to wait and
    see...

    > I do not intend to replace it anytime soon (a ti4200 64mb

    that's cool and i agree with you
    i also like to fully optimize my investment
    a graphic card should always last at least 4 years

    and can you run with decent quality titles released last year
    and this year? like doom3, farcry, ut2004, riddick, boiling
    point, painkiller, tribes vengeance? ...i really hope so

    --

    Robert Masters wrote:
    > Hi all, I currently have a ATI Radeon 9600XT/256Megs. I am wondering
    > if an upgrade to a Nvidia 6600GT will offer enough of a performance gain
    > to play games like Doom3/Farcry/BF2 etc. I am only looking at
    > mid-market cards.

    Check out:

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-08.html

    So, in Doom, you'll go from 25 FPS to 68 FPS (1024x768), if the rest of your
    system can keep up with the card. That's a big caveat. I was impressed by
    how
    much my gaming improved by getting a memory upgrade from 512MB to
    1.25GB (on a system with a 9800 Pro); I was able to increase all HL2
    settings
    to the max, and can now play Vampire: Bloodlines at max settings with no
    stuttering - though the frame rate is still relatively slow as it's
    CPU-bound).

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    Well I went a got a Leadtek 6600GT and all I can say is WOW. Painkiller
    and HL2 were on 800x600 and still a bit choppy in places. Now the games
    are running silky smooth at 1280x1024 for me :) THe harware HD video
    decoding rocks. Before this card I could not watch HD videos without
    massive lag. No the videos play smooth with only 57% CPU hit! (hd 720p
    demos from MS HD content site).

    Yipee should last me the next two years.

    RobM

    > Well I went a got a Leadtek 6600GT and all I can say is WOW. Painkiller
    > and HL2 were on 800x600 and still a bit choppy in places. Now the games
    > are running silky smooth at 1280x1024 for me :) THe harware HD video
    > decoding rocks. Before this card I could not watch HD videos without
    > massive lag. No the videos play smooth with only 57% CPU hit! (hd 720p
    > demos from MS HD content site).
    >
    > Yipee should last me the next two years.
    >
    > RobM

    Though I myself am sticking with ATI, it's generally agreed that the 6600GT
    provides the most bang for the buck right now. And as always, it's good to
    hear of a positive upgrade experience! Just as the 9600XT was probably good
    for the last couple of years, no doubt the 6600GT will be decent for the
    next two years!

PC gaming Graphics Cards Games Video Games