Loud Music Can Cause Lung Collapse

Last response: in Home Audio
September 2, 2004 7:03:54 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Blasting music can be hard on the ears and
the neighbors, and now researchers say it can also pack enough punch to
collapse a lung.

Reporting in the medical journal Thorax, they describe the cases of four
young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called
pneumothorax --that appeared to be triggered by loud music. Three of the
men were at a concert or club when the pneumothorax occurred, while the
fourth was in his car, which was outfitted with a 1,000-watt bass box
because he "liked to listen to loud music."

http://tinyurl.com/5hcyy
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 3:25:13 AM

Pete Dimsman wrote:

> NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Blasting music can be hard on the ears and
> the neighbors, and now researchers say it can also pack enough punch to
> collapse a lung.
>
> Reporting in the medical journal Thorax, they describe the cases of four
> young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called
> pneumothorax --that appeared to be triggered by loud music. Three of the
> men were at a concert or club when the pneumothorax occurred, while the
> fourth was in his car, which was outfitted with a 1,000-watt bass box
> because he "liked to listen to loud music."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5hcyy

One of those noise polluting idiots ?

Best thing that could have happened to him IMHO.

Anyone care to estimate the SPL in such a small enclosed environment ?

Graham
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 7:21:20 PM

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 23:25:13 +0100, in rec.audio.pro you wrote:

>Pete Dimsman wrote:
>
>> NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Blasting music can be hard on the ears and
>> the neighbors, and now researchers say it can also pack enough punch to
>> collapse a lung.
>>
>> Reporting in the medical journal Thorax, they describe the cases of four
>> young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called
>> pneumothorax --that appeared to be triggered by loud music. Three of the
>> men were at a concert or club when the pneumothorax occurred, while the
>> fourth was in his car, which was outfitted with a 1,000-watt bass box
>> because he "liked to listen to loud music."
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5hcyy
>
>One of those noise polluting idiots ?
>
>Best thing that could have happened to him IMHO.
>
>Anyone care to estimate the SPL in such a small enclosed environment ?
>

>Graham

I dont think you need an SPL meter, just a barometer ( with Peak Hold
of course)

martin

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 8:33:56 PM

Pete Dimsman wrote:
> NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Blasting music can be hard on the ears and
> the neighbors, and now researchers say it can also pack enough punch
> to collapse a lung.
>
> Reporting in the medical journal Thorax, they describe the cases of
> four young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called
> pneumothorax --that appeared to be triggered by loud music. Three of
> the men were at a concert or club when the pneumothorax occurred,
> while the fourth was in his car, which was outfitted with a
> 1,000-watt bass box because he "liked to listen to loud music."

Why not add spontaneous abortion, labour, and dislocated vertabaae ?!!!

geoff
!