Need help finding PC friendly quality audio recorder

Last response: in Home Audio
September 3, 2004 12:53:16 AM

I'm working on a project where I need to record sounds, voices and
conversations that I'll reuse in a multimedia presentation. My
requirements are simple:
- I need to capture good quality audio
- I need to be able to download, edit and combine it with a slideshow
using Macromedia Flash

Minidisc recorders sound like the right hardware, but it appears that
it's very hard to export, convert and reuse those sounds on a PC.

I'd love your recommendation about the next best solution. Would a
quality MP3 voice recorder do it (may be with an external mic)? Any
specific brand I should look into?

Thanks!
pt
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 2:34:20 AM

Others have recommended the Marantz card recorders which I have found
to work well.
Not sure of the Nomad Jukebox 3 has digital outs or not but Mike
Rivers speaks highly of it for outside recording.

On 2 Sep 2004 20:53:16 -0700, tosolini@gmail.com (Paolo Tosolini)
wrote:

>I'm working on a project where I need to record sounds, voices and
>conversations that I'll reuse in a multimedia presentation. My
>requirements are simple:
>- I need to capture good quality audio
>- I need to be able to download, edit and combine it with a slideshow
>using Macromedia Flash
>
>Minidisc recorders sound like the right hardware, but it appears that
>it's very hard to export, convert and reuse those sounds on a PC.
>
>I'd love your recommendation about the next best solution. Would a
>quality MP3 voice recorder do it (may be with an external mic)? Any
>specific brand I should look into?
>
>Thanks!
>pt

Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada
radiovoiceone@hotmail.com
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 7:59:03 AM

> Not sure of the Nomad Jukebox 3 has digital outs or not but Mike
> Rivers speaks highly of it for outside recording.

Firewire output, and I second the recommendation.
September 4, 2004 11:11:56 AM

In article <k9shj0tuhge68m9jqo354vtgf6gk99one8@4ax.com> voice.1@telus.net writes:

> Not sure of the Nomad Jukebox 3 has digital outs or not but Mike
> Rivers speaks highly of it for outside recording.

It has USB and Firewire ports which allow copying of recordings as
files to a PC. It records in WAV or MP3 formats. I'd record WAV given
that the intent is to bring the audio files into a computer and edit
them.

However, since it doesn't really have a mic input (just the line input
with the gain cranked up 25 dB or so on the digital side) it's not
really appropriate to "record sounds, voices, and conversations"
without an external mic preamp.

September 4, 2004 4:56:48 PM

"Mike Cleaver" <voice.1@telus.net> wrote in message

> Not sure of the Nomad Jukebox 3 has digital outs

The NJB3's best digital I/O path to/from the PC is via Firewire and/or USB
1.1. It also has a optical digital input that is coaxial with the analog
line level input.

> or not but Mike Rivers speaks highly of it for outside recording.

With > 90 dB dynamic range and 0.1 dB frequency response via its analog I/O,
its really quite sophisticated.

It's weight, size and shape are dated, being CD-Player-like, but it has a
good reputation for robustness over the long haul, given that it is
2.5" )standard laptop) hard drive based.

NJB3's major omission is a proper mic input.

I use mine with a Behr MXB 1002, which is line/battery operable and has 5
mic inputs.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 8:21:59 PM

Arny Krueger wrote:

> It's weight, size and shape are dated,

And it is out of production, heavy sigh. It looks as if
they've abandoned recording.

> NJB3's major omission is a proper mic input.

I've always thought the real problem there was how on earth
to get any signifigant and quiet gain in such close
proximity to the impulsive noise you get controlling
spinning motors and dumping and stopping big currents
suddenly into rotary ones.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 9:26:40 AM

"Bob Cain" <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote in message
> Arny Krueger wrote:
>

>> It's weight, size and shape are dated,

> And it is out of production, heavy sigh. It looks as if
> they've abandoned recording.

Reading between the lines on the relevant Creative forums, their position is
that right now they are locked in a major struggle with Apple over
playback-only devices and there are plenty of NJB3s to buy if you know where
to look:

(Seller is none other than Creative Labs!)

>> NJB3's major omission is a proper mic input.

> I've always thought the real problem there was how on earth
> to get any signifigant and quiet gain in such close
> proximity to the impulsive noise you get controlling
> spinning motors and dumping and stopping big currents
> suddenly into rotary ones.

That's all in the hard drive, which is just a commercial laptop computer
part.

Oh, and the answer to your question is:

Shielded motors, carefully-designed circuit cards with ground planes, and
low impedance circuitry.
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 2:45:34 PM

wrote:

>I'm working on a project where I need to record sounds, voices and
>conversations that I'll reuse in a multimedia presentation. My
>requirements are simple:
>- I need to capture good quality audio
>- I need to be able to download, edit and combine it with a slideshow
>using Macromedia Flash
>
>Minidisc recorders sound like the right hardware, but it appears that
>it's very hard to export, convert and reuse those sounds on a PC.
>
>I'd love your recommendation about the next best solution. Would a
>quality MP3 voice recorder do it (may be with an external mic)? Any
>specific brand I should look into?

Don't obsess on the transfer from minidisk to computer HAVING to be
digital. I doubt you'd actually notice the difference of an analogue
transfer.

September 5, 2004 3:28:29 PM

Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

>However, since it doesn't really have a mic input (just the line input
>with the gain cranked up 25 dB or so on the digital side) it's not
>really appropriate to "record sounds, voices, and conversations"
>without an external mic preamp.

Add a Denecke AD-20 or one of our Mic2496 dual mic pre/A-to-D and you'll
have a much better sounding system.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 3:29:21 PM

Paolo Tosolini <tosolini@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'd love your recommendation about the next best solution. Would a
>quality MP3 voice recorder do it (may be with an external mic)? Any
>specific brand I should look into?

You might have a look at our PDAudio system.

http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 6:12:30 PM

In article <chfbat$k1r$1@panix2.panix.com> moskowit@panix.com writes:

> Add a Denecke AD-20 or one of our Mic2496 dual mic pre/A-to-D and you'll
> have a much better sounding system.

I know that, and you know that I know that. I just want a one-piece
system with real mic connectors on it, not two or more pieces and
extra cables and adapters.

I wrote a yet unpublished and I suspect won't be published review of
the Core Sound Mic2496 preamp and I agree with Len - it sounds fine.