for use in IT

Tags:
May 13, 2004 12:44:52 PM

New to all of this.

Is there a pilot out there that can download/sync up
with lotus mail, plug into a usb port and act as
a drive, has 256MB of memory for user file storage, and can run
all day? (if not, it MUST have a replacable battery)

It would be nice if I could drop it too. :-)

I don't need/want:
color display
sound
camera

More about : question

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 8:25:46 PM

"hfs2" <hfs2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> New to all of this.
>
> Is there a pilot out there that can download/sync up
> with lotus mail, plug into a usb port and act as
> a drive, has 256MB of memory for user file storage, and can run
> all day? (if not, it MUST have a replacable battery)
>
> It would be nice if I could drop it too. :-)
>
> I don't need/want:
> color display
> sound
> camera

Have you thought about a Norand Pen PC? The ones typically used by UPS?
You certainly aren't coing to find a palm or pocketPC that would meet those
requirements.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 10:08:27 PM

John Ryan wrote:

> Have you thought about a Norand Pen PC? The ones typically used by
> UPS? You certainly aren't coing to find a palm or pocketPC that would
> meet those requirements.

Sony's TH55 runs for many hours on a single charge. And software to make it
act as USB Mass Storage is in beta.
A PalmOne Tungsten|T2 will last many hours as well, and you can lower the
CPU speed (which the sony does on-the-fly) to make it even more efficient.

Don't know about Lotus syncing, but I guess that's not impossible.

--
Randy Simons

When replying to this message,
please follow the nettiquette and quote correctly.
Related resources
May 14, 2004 4:53:50 PM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:08:27 +0000 (UTC), Randy Simons <news@randysimons.com.invalid> wrote:
> John Ryan wrote:
>
>> Have you thought about a Norand Pen PC? The ones typically used by
>> UPS? You certainly aren't coing to find a palm or pocketPC that would
>> meet those requirements.
>
> Sony's TH55 runs for many hours on a single charge. And software to make it
> act as USB Mass Storage is in beta.

In beta? Not quite - it's been installed in ROM on a number of
Clie's - including the TH-55 - for years. I use it frequently.

- Rich
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 8:12:12 PM

> John Ryan wrote:
>
> > Have you thought about a Norand Pen PC? The ones typically used by
> > UPS? You certainly aren't coing to find a palm or pocketPC that would
> > meet those requirements.
>
> Sony's TH55 runs for many hours on a single charge. And software to make
it
> act as USB Mass Storage is in beta.
> A PalmOne Tungsten|T2 will last many hours as well, and you can lower the
> CPU speed (which the sony does on-the-fly) to make it even more efficient.
>
> Don't know about Lotus syncing, but I guess that's not impossible.

While that's all true, neither of those would really pass the "drop" test.
I've owned a few Norands and those things are built to last. Hell, you
could stomp on a 6640 and it would look up, laugh and ask: "Is that all you
got girly man?" Great for industrial use or hazardous (for gizmos)
environments. Of course, you'd be lugging around a pound rather than a few
ounces...

BTW, doesn't CompanionLink provide a conduit to sync Lotus Notes?
!