Boiling Point US DVD release is now available

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
Canadian purchaser.

However, I have no idea whether the game itself is just a repackaged
version of the UK release. Sor, if somebody with the UK version ( or
another English-language version ) could explore their DVD, compare
with the information below, and report back here, I would be
grateful...

Some file size and date specifics from the US DVD release
( as of 6 June 2005 )

setup.boot Size: 342,212 bytes April 29, 2005 3:10:53 PM
data1.cab Size: 55,838,784 bytes April 29, 2005 3:11:45 PM
data2.cab Size: 612,368,384 bytes April 29, 2005 3:15.34 PM
data3.cab Size: 681,984,000 bytes April 29, 2005 3:20:24 PM
data4.cab Size: 681,984,000 bytes April 29, 2005 3:24:40 PM
data5.cab Size: 410,405,356 bytes April 29, 2005 3:27:34 PM

Now I need to install and try the game.... :) :)

Also, the sudden withdrawal by Atari on May 27 of the US-version
patch released earlier that week is still mysterious.... I have a copy
of that patch, but I think that I will take some system-backup
precautions before experimenting.....

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

John Lewis wrote:

<snip>

fabulous idea!
see john when you want you can do the best of posts
forget about all those insanely expensive high end hardwares
cause its here were the real pc games reside!

a really great post totally "on-topic"
this is an excellent example of that we should be doing in this
group, talk about pc games! proper pc games!

and the idea of comparing versions and packagings of different
markets is great! i just love that idea!

unfortunately i haven't yet bought boiling point so at this time
i'm sorry not being able to contribute but i'm sure others will
so i'll wait to anxiously read all the many reply you will get

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

to check authenticity of the real "steamKILLER" reassure that
the post came from a google server and that the email address
is "sayNO2steam@yahoo.com"

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

> The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
> genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
> Canadian purchaser.
>
> However, I have no idea whether the game itself is just a repackaged
> version of the UK release. Sor, if somebody with the UK version ( or
> another English-language version ) could explore their DVD, compare
> with the information below, and report back here, I would be
> grateful...

I have the UK version on it's way, but it might be a few days. Where did
you pick up the US version?

turk
--
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment
insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

I don't think there is a demo, unfortunately.

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:54:14 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
>> genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
>> Canadian purchaser.
>>
>> However, I have no idea whether the game itself is just a repackaged
>> version of the UK release. Sor, if somebody with the UK version ( or
>> another English-language version ) could explore their DVD, compare
>> with the information below, and report back here, I would be
>> grateful...
>
>I have the UK version on it's way, but it might be a few days. Where did
>you pick up the US version?

Babbages'. Just one copy in stock in our whole local area.

Genuinely the US version. 4 pages of US Credits... Atari US seems to
have been hard at work testing the game -- 14 testers listed in the US
Credits, none with Russian-style names....

For those looking for the US version:---

Check through www.gamestop.com whether BP is in stock at a local
Gamestop or Babbages' outlet.

It is in stock now with 24hr order turn-around at www.gamestop.com
for those who do not have a handy local dealer with it in stock.

Here is my take after 3-4 hours of play:--

A truly remarkable and original single-player game. Nothing even
closely like it in the RPG or adventure domain. Great in-game help...
no need to consult the manual. Highly-polished RPG-style
user-interface. Terrific 3D-movement game-engine. The closest in terms
of movement freedom might be Morrowind, but BP has the MW engine
beaten hands-down in terms of entering and exiting buildings and
jerks, but nothing like the MW jerks on exactly the same system
( regardless of even the best morrowind.ini optimizations )
I have been playing MW again in the last couple of weeks while
waiting for BP... My system is a P4 3.2GHz, 1Gbyte RAM, lots of
spare disk-swap space, FX5900...

( BTW, consulting the system requirements and other advice in the
on-disk readme is very important. )

The attention to detail is phenomenal. Gorgeous scenery, highly-varied
graphics and realistic environmental sounds and effects. Whoever did
the environmental and map designs are souls dedicated to embedding as
much realism as possible. I have just been wandering around sampling
odd missions and in the process, I experienced a real surprise piece
of realism. I decided to grab a car and drive to the nearest edge of
the map. When I got there, I found a tunnel with an internal collapse
preventing me going further ( how clever, iinstead of the usual
cliff..). Well, there was a little cave-room there with gas (petrol)
barrels in it. I decided that it would be fun to pop a hole in one,
but just far enough away not to be incinerated. Well, it went off with
a very loud bang and suddenly I couldn't hear anything else except
a very loud whistle in my ears, which wore off after a couple of
minutes -- I was playing the game with headphones on. The very first
game that I have ever played that simulated the real-life impact of a
close explosion on the human hearing system....

The AI is a little wonky at times---- it should not take 4 head-shots
to kill a civilian....however, this game is far more focussed on
exploration and role-playing... not to say that the action elements
are not fun, but don't expect the action to be on a par with
the latest shooters.

No crashes so far. No doubt I will find some irritating bugs, but for
me this game so far has exceeded all my expectations. There are
obvious bugs with the dialog, which is extensive, but is sometimes
abbreviated and occasionally missing - not that it matters, since on-
screen text is also available. I have not attempted to load the
now-retracted ( by Atari ) US patch.

BTW, for those of us used to driving vehicles at speed with WASD
controls (a la BF1942..), driving the land vehicles is a piece of
cake.. I have not accidentally run over a civilian yet.

John Lewis

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:23:54 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:

>The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
>genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
>Canadian purchaser.

<snip>

Anyone know the reason why the US release has the 'Road to Hell' bit removed
from it? Even going so far as to have a completely seperate intro cinematic.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:23:54 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
>
>>The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
>>genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
>>Canadian purchaser.
>
><snip>
>
>Anyone know the reason why the US release has the 'Road to Hell' bit >removed from it?

In a country where this kind of nonsense happens, do you really need to
ask?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/devils/2005-05-29-name-change_x.htm

Xocyll

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:54:14 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
>> genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
>> Canadian purchaser.
>>
>> However, I have no idea whether the game itself is just a repackaged
>> version of the UK release. Sor, if somebody with the UK version ( or
>> another English-language version ) could explore their DVD, compare
>> with the information below, and report back here, I would be
>> grateful...
>
>I have the UK version on it's way, but it might be a few days. Where did
>you pick up the US version?

UK version has been out for a little while. Got mine last week on DVD.

mace

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

i own a yacht wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action mace <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> > i own a yacht wrote:

> >> who said anything about hl2?
> >

> > Well, I could have *sworn*...
>
> sworn what.. hmm? is this where someone else accuses me of talking up
> hl2 even though i posted almost nothing but criticism and stated far cry
> was a superior fps?
>
> or is there something else? let's hear it.

Something else? N0000000000.

> >> support it, as in, speak highly of.
> >

> > Support=buy, talk is cheap.
>
> actually, i get decide what it means in the context i put it in because,
> well, i put it there. sorry.

Yeah, but did you buy it or torrenting it?

Alex Mars wrote:
> I don't think there is a demo, unfortunately.

Impossible. JL assured us that he never buys a game without a demo.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "John Lewis"<john.dsl@verizon.net> in
42a53136.57282599@news.verizon.net
> BTW, for those of us used to driving vehicles at speed with WASD
> controls (a la BF1942..), driving the land vehicles is a piece of
> cake.. I have not accidentally run over a civilian yet.
>
> John Lewis

you should try harder

--
People are wrong when they say opera is not what it used to be. It is
what it used to be. That is what's wrong with it. - Noel Coward

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:33:25 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "John Lewis"<john.dsl@verizon.net> in
>42a53136.57282599@news.verizon.net
>> BTW, for those of us used to driving vehicles at speed with WASD
>> controls (a la BF1942..), driving the land vehicles is a piece of
>> cake.. I have not accidentally run over a civilian yet.
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>you should try harder

The only people I have found that you can't kill are the children. OH MY GOD
WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN. Well, they did and they are
immortal. But old grannies crossing the road are easy meat for a sharpened
knife or bazooka. Strange world isn't it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Memnoch"<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
in sluaa15hft5jll1i1pbvhm66mcp56c37sb@4ax.com
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:33:25 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Quoth The Raven "John Lewis"<john.dsl@verizon.net> in
>>42a53136.57282599@news.verizon.net
>>> BTW, for those of us used to driving vehicles at speed with WASD
>>> controls (a la BF1942..), driving the land vehicles is a piece of
>>> cake.. I have not accidentally run over a civilian yet.
>>>
>>> John Lewis
>>
>>you should try harder
>
> The only people I have found that you can't kill are the children. OH
> MY GOD WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN. Well, they did and
> they are immortal. But old grannies crossing the road are easy meat
> for a sharpened knife or bazooka. Strange world isn't it.

what happens when you run a kid over, do you stop like on a pole, the kid
bounce away unharmed or does the kid deftly step aside?

--
Mental backup in progress - Do Not Disturb!

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:21:33 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>>
>> Babbages'. Just one copy in stock in our whole local area.
>
>And, as usual, our John has the insider knowledge. Yup Surree.

You are a royal twit....

I found it by phoning/on-line-hunting yesterday.. since I had a
pre-order through EB on-line which suddenly was not going anywhere.
EB withdrew their listing on the very day it was supposed to ship
(yesterday, 06/06). Fry's did not have it...

I found it courtesy of Gamestop On-line, who happen to also list
the stocking situation at all their dealers...... and only one dealer
within 20 miles had just one copy in stock...

Happy now..... ? Why don't you just play through HL2 again to
relieve your nervous tensions....

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:39:42 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:23:54 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
>
>>The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
>>genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
>>Canadian purchaser.
>
><snip>
>
>Anyone know the reason why the US release has the 'Road to Hell' bit removed
>from it? Even going so far as to have a completely seperate intro cinematic.

Thanks for this info. Not having seen the UK version.

Paranoid about Separation of Church and State? Would not want to
offend those who don't believe in Hell ? Did I get that right ? Let's
try again.... Would not want to offend those who believe in Hell ?

Oh Hell !! Never mind................

The avoidance of any reference to "cocaine" in the US version
also amuses me a lot. Is this the same in the UK version ?

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:50:16 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "Memnoch"<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>
>in sluaa15hft5jll1i1pbvhm66mcp56c37sb@4ax.com
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:33:25 +1000, "Highlandish"
>> <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>>Quoth The Raven "John Lewis"<john.dsl@verizon.net> in
>>>42a53136.57282599@news.verizon.net

>>>you should try harder
>>
>> The only people I have found that you can't kill are the children. OH
>> MY GOD WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN. Well, they did and
>> they are immortal. But old grannies crossing the road are easy meat
>> for a sharpened knife or bazooka. Strange world isn't it.
>
>what happens when you run a kid over, do you stop like on a pole, the kid
>bounce away unharmed or does the kid deftly step aside?

Never encountered one in a vehicle yet. They run around like the clappers
though so would probably be difficult to hit. They don't react at all to knife
attacks so I would guess that you would go straight through them and if you
looked in your mirror they would just be standing there. Oddly there are drug
dealers in the game that you can kill and they look very similar to the kids.
But of course "Drugs are bad, mkay".

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:38:58 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

>Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> looked up from
>reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
>the signs say:
>
>>On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:23:54 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
>>
>>>The US version of the Boiling Point DVD is now available. This is the
>>>genuine US release. The on-disk Readme is oriented for the US or
>>>Canadian purchaser.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>Anyone know the reason why the US release has the 'Road to Hell' bit >removed from it?
>
>In a country where this kind of nonsense happens, do you really need to
>ask?
>
>http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/devils/2005-05-29-name-change_x.htm

Stupid people! Land of the free, home of the yada yada yada.....

mace

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

i own a yacht wrote:

> because it involves revealing personal information, and also because
> mace is a jerkoff. why not ask him why he's being so obtuse in his
> replies to me? i still don't know what all his dopey suggestions are
> about. either english isn't his first language or he's retarded.

Heh, well, Engklish is my third language (and far from perfect) but
that is hardly the point at all here. The point is that your, mostly
pointless, "criticism" of BP is quite irritating. An AMBITIOUS project
like this, which has been made with FRACTIONS of resources compared to
those cookie cutter BIG NAME games targetted to Joe Sixpack (like
you?),deserves way more than that.

And no fence, but with your "understanding" of things you haven´t much
of a margin call others retarded.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:26:07 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:40:45 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
>> wrote:

>>>neither. any other questions?
>>>

>> Yes, I shall ask the obvious question:---
>>
>> How did you come by your copy of Boiling Point ?
>
>i'd rather not say because it relates to my job.

Huh ?? How come ??

If you are an official reviewer, or beta-tester there is nothing
reprehensible (or contravening a NDA) about admitting it after a game
has been officially released ....

>> If you do possess a legitimate paid-up (or official-review ) copy
>> of BP, then why be so obtuse in your reply to "mace" ?
>
>because it involves revealing personal information,

Please explain.... this does not at all make sense....except
for the following hypothesis:-

============= beginning of hypothesis ==============

You have open access to PC games, probably working
for a computer or game-store and :-

1.You (er) 'borrow' copies for your own use, returning them
afterwards to be sold to legitimate customers.

OR

2. They are customer-returns that you are 'borrowing' before
they get shoveled back to the distributor.

You at least should offer to pay rental for the using period
of time.

In the case of #1, I consider it theft if the customer is not
offered the game at an open-box or "second-hand" price.

And should you make any copies of these games while in
your possession, it is indeed unadulterated theft.

============ end of hypothesis ==================

>and also because
>mace is a jerkoff. why not ask him why he's being so obtuse in his
>replies to me? i still don't know what all his dopey suggestions are
>about. either english isn't his first language or he's retarded.
>
>> BP is a highly innovative game involving 3 years of work by a small
>> developer with painstaking attention to game-world details - a labor
>> of love. This game is distinctly not "yet another cookie-cutter
>> production", and the developers deserve full reward. They will have
>> little or no future without adequate monetary compensation. It is
>> single-player game rip-offs that have given rise to intrusive
>> pirate-protection scchemes such as Steam, grossly inconveniencing
>> legitimate purchasers for the sake of revenue protection against the
>> rip-off scumbags.
>>
>> Rip-off of PC games will guarantee the success of the next-generation
>> consoles, and the rapid death of any ports to the PC. For example the
>> built-in copy-protection on a PS3 disk includes 128-bit encryption
>> and a unique unlock code individually burned into every disk. No need
>> for Steam or any other similar nonsense for anti-piracy security of
>> single-player games.
>
>nice speech. do you pre-type these up and wait for opportunities to post
>or what? and how does all that relate to you waiting until most games have
>been marked down several times and tossed into the bargain bin before
>you "support the developer?" yeah, that's how you reward a developer
>alright.

From one who is so coy about his copy of BP, this is really sweet....
Mirror, mirror................

I have a legitimate purchased full-price copy of BP and will have a
legitimate full-price copy of BF2 on 21 June, assuming no shipment
slippage. I also will be purchasing a full-price copy of Indigo
Prophecy and a full-priced copy of Oblivion when available.....

Since you are excellent in retrieving data from my postings, hunt back
for the posting in which I gave a break-down of the pattern of my
PC game purchases. I posted it within the last 2 months. I probably
spend a lot more money per year <<buying>> PC games than you
do, since I have a very wide interest in various genres. And I
pirate zero. If I can't afford it, I do without....

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:40:45 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action mace <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, but did you buy it or torrenting it?
>
>neither. any other questions?

So how did you get it then?

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:39:19 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:40:45 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
>wrote:
>
>>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action mace <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, but did you buy it or torrenting it?
>>
>>neither. any other questions?
>>

>Yes, I shall ask the obvious question:---
>
>How did you come by your copy of Boiling Point ?
>
>If you were not using a legitimately purchased copy of the game, or
>did not have a legitimate purchased (or an 'official review' ) DVD in
>your possession if/when you used a "DVD-crack", then please
>consider yourself a scumbag of the lowest possible order.

He's already had one little tirade against me about not liking it. But I
suspect he probably downloaded it from somewhere.

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:51:14 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Well you can't have played it much or you just aren't very good. You CAN hide
>> from them and they will even tell you so.
>
>i've probably played it more than you have, actually. that's why i have
>the game. regardless, the shooting element is subpar. you can pretend to
>sneak around all you want, that doesn't make the AI any better than it
>is and it doesn't help improve how poor the actual interaction with the
>AI is. you know, the shooting part? right.
>
>and if you want to see how good i am, name your multiplayer fps game and
>we'll play.

LOL Sorry mate I left school a long time ago. Now if they had actually
included the MP portion of the game, which parts of it are there if you look
in the game.ini file there are reference to MP voice buttons etc, I might have
taken you up on your silly little gauntlet toss there. Perhaps you would be
more at home with one of the more mainstream FPS games out there. I enjoy them
also but BP is a melding of that AND CRPG, my two favourite genres as it
happens, so I am loving it to bits. You can un-install your copy now since you
have already stated you won't be playing it more and I will keep an eye out
for any more BP posts from you that suggest you have gone back on your word of
not playing it anymore. Mkay?

mace

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

i own a yacht wrote:

> i'm glad it irritated you.

oh, puhleaze.

> one of the developers, are you? nice engine, dickface. try harder next time.

Yup, new Derek Smart here...I hail myself.

> are we done?

Oh, dear me, has there been some kind of a problem in here?

John Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:21:33 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:
>>
>>>Babbages'. Just one copy in stock in our whole local area.
>>
>>And, as usual, our John has the insider knowledge. Yup Surree.
>

> You are a royal twit....
>
> I found it by phoning/on-line-hunting yesterday.. since I had a
> pre-order through EB on-line which suddenly was not going anywhere.
> EB withdrew their listing on the very day it was supposed to ship
> (yesterday, 06/06). Fry's did not have it...

Yeah sure John. LOL. You really have the finger on the pulse where
numbers of copies are related. Why, you were even right about HL2 ending
up in the bargain bin 2 weeks after release .... snigger.