At home, my current setup is:

1. Motorola SBV5220 Surfboard Cable Modem for internet
2. Rosewill 8 Port Switch RC-406X

And I have:

1. Dell Q6600 desktop running on Windows 7
2. Dell Latitude laptop running on Windows XP
3. Xbox 360

These all need access to the internet.

Up until now, everything worked fine. The Motorola modem was connected in Slot 1 and my desktop, laptop and Xbox were all 3 connected into slots 2, 3 and 4.

The other day, I accidentally pressed a switch in my home that switched off my modem. Anyway, once everything was reset, things changed.

I can no longer be on the internet with all 3 devices at the same time. Either only the laptop can be connected, with the 2 other devices being offline, or just the desktop and not the laptop.

Whenever I gain access to the internet via the desktop, it shows as Network 10 and if I try and repair the connection on the laptop, it says it is unable to renew the IP address. If I switch it up and I have access on my laptop but try and have access on the desktop, the network shows up as Unidentified.

I really don't know what's going on and I've tried the "netsh int ip reset reset.log" trick and I even tried to administer IP addresses manually. Nothing has worked.

And no, I don't think I need a router because this is what I've been doing for over 3 years.

What is the issue? What's the solution?

I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to the technical terms so don't hold back and normally, I would have figured it by now, but I've been at it for almost 4 hours and I'm sick and tired and desperate of all this.

Help, please.

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about devices desktop laptop xbox cannot connect internet
  1. check the IP on the device that has internet access.

Does the IP start with 192. or 10.? only list the first set of numbers

If not, your modem/router could be set to modem mode only.
  2. Emerald,

The IP address on the device that has internet access starts with 173... And it was assigned by DHCP.

What should I do?
  3. call your ISP and see if they can reconfigure the modem back to a router.

It seems that the modem/router is currently acting as a modem only and therefore only one of your devices can be online.
  4. I will do that and post the results.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Desktops Internet Networking