Boiling Point Eur UK patch is out

Last response: in Video Games
June 8, 2005 7:15:23 AM

Praise be....
Boiling Point Eur/UK patch is out..76 MBs ...
Go from here
http://www.boiling-point.net/

Or Atari Download..page....
http://www.uk.atari.com/index.php?pp=download&did=109

Luv Mouse
@@@@
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:01:15 AM

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 03:15:23 +0100, "Trimble Bracegirdle"
<NOspam@spam.not> wrote:

>Praise be....
>Boiling Point Eur/UK patch is out..76 MBs ...
>Go from here
>http://www.boiling-point.net/

and also from www.3dgamers.com

Beware:-- the US patch on www.3dgamers.com is the
one currently "withdrawn" by Atari US.

According to Deep Shadows, another patch is currently in the
works.

Maybe the Euro guys at Atari and the US guys at Atari
will get on to the same page with the second round of
patches.... :-(

John Lewis

>Or Atari Download..page....
>http://www.uk.atari.com/index.php?pp=download&did=109
>
>Luv Mouse
>@@@@

June 8, 2005 11:32:31 AM

"Trimble Bracegirdle" <NOspam@spam.not> wrote in message
> Praise be....
> Boiling Point Eur/UK patch is out..76 MBs ...
> Go from here
> http://www.boiling-point.net/
>
> Or Atari Download..page....
> http://www.uk.atari.com/index.php?pp=download&did=109
>
> Luv Mouse
> @@@@

The 'patch' - huge though it is - fixes only some minor issues. The fact is
the game
has a huge memory management problem and you need 1.5gb in your PC to
get it to run well. When I exit to desktop after playing for an hour and CAD
to bring up task manager
(which takes about 30 seconds to appear) the game still has about 600mb of
memory. I can sit and watch it
count down to the usual 150mb (winxp pro) and it takes at least a minute
before my PC is running smoothly
again and I can start doing other stuff. This is with a XP2400, 1gb, radeon
9700 and I run my PC lean and the systray empty.

There are big problems with sounds not playing properly
and you get an annoying popping/crackling in the sound particularly when
driving
a car and you do a LOT of driving in this game. I suspect that the sound
problems derive
from the memory management and the fact that the game constantly loads data
on the fly.

Other minor bugs include cars going off the road and killing pedestrians in
town - happens a LOT.
The patch is supposed to improve the minor bugs but I saw no evidence of
that yesterday after I
installed it. The gameplay is good and I know some people will put up with
the bugs but I couldnt.
This is the buggiest FPS I've played since Hidden & Dangerous. I took my
copy back to the shop.
Buyer Beware.

P.S the word in the forums is that EBgames have withdrawn the game from
sale. Dunno how true it is
but it wouldnt surprise me one bit.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:40:12 PM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:32:31 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>"Trimble Bracegirdle" <NOspam@spam.not> wrote in message
>> Praise be....
>> Boiling Point Eur/UK patch is out..76 MBs ...
>> Go from here
>> http://www.boiling-point.net/
>>
>> Or Atari Download..page....
>> http://www.uk.atari.com/index.php?pp=download&did=109
>>
>> Luv Mouse
>> @@@@
>>

>The 'patch' - huge though it is - fixes only some minor issues. The fact is
>the game
>has a huge memory management problem and you need 1.5gb in your PC to
>get it to run well.

! Gbyte RAM. plus 1.5 Gbyte virtual memory

> When I exit to desktop after playing for an hour and CAD
>to bring up task manager
>(which takes about 30 seconds to appear) the game still has about 600mb of
>memory. I can sit and watch it
>count down to the usual 150mb (winxp pro) and it takes at least a minute
>before my PC is running smoothly
>again and I can start doing other stuff.

So what ?? It does apparently clean up properly.
A side-effect of progressively loading the map into RAM for instant
retrieval. This is a LARGE game. 4Gbytes of program and data after
installation.

>This is with a XP2400, 1gb, radeon
>9700 and I run my PC lean and the systray empty.
>
>There are big problems with sounds not playing properly
>and you get an annoying popping/crackling in the sound particularly when
>driving
>a car and you do a LOT of driving in this game. I suspect that the sound
>problems derive
>from the memory management and the fact that the game constantly loads data
>on the fly.

Enabling HT mode on a P4 helps a lot with these problems. The
performance difference is quite significant. Most obvious effect
is the almost total elimination of the graphical hesitations when
rapidly moving around the map. It also seems to help with audio
stutters. The game is thread-loading in the background... when
it can get some background cycles. Should be very interesting indeed
to observe performance on a dual-core processor, or a 2-processor
system.

>Other minor bugs include cars going off the road and killing pedestrians in
>town - happens a LOT.

Nope, not if you drive with a rear camera-view and use the WASD
controls BF1942-style. It would have been very nice to have been
able to look around from behind the wheel. The alternate views via
F10, F11 are presumably intended to compensate for that limitation.
The pedestrians are dumb enough not to halt for the car, so you
need to adjust your driving technique accordingly.

>The patch is supposed to improve the minor bugs but I saw no evidence of
>that yesterday after I
>installed it. The gameplay is good and I know some people will put up with
>the bugs but I couldnt.

A second patch is under way. And the (currently-withdrawn) US patch
fixes a lot more problems than the current (new ) Euro-patch. I have
loaded the withdrawn US patch on the release US DVD, just for 'kicks'
It complains about 3 map-files on the DVD being newer than what is in
the patch and leaves them alone, otherwise it loads fine and the Xenus
..exe is updated. Seems to solve a lot of the audio problems. However,
I am a little disappointed about the removal by the patch of the debug

information ( including frame-rate ) that displayed by pressing the
"=" key. I'm sure that appropriate digging in one of the .ini file
will restore the debug display.

>This is the buggiest FPS

Actually a RPG/adventure with FPS components. The RPG
part of the game is working very well indeed. For a RPG, the
user-interface is one of the best that I have seen. IMHO, far better
than that of Morrowind, of which this game is a modern clone.

> I've played since Hidden & Dangerous. I took my
>copy back to the shop.
>Buyer Beware.
>
>P.S the word in the forums is that EBgames have withdrawn the game from
>sale. Dunno how true it is
>but it wouldnt surprise me one bit.

True, for the moment...at least in the US.. However, Gamestop is
currently openly shipping the US edition.

There are operational bugs that need to be fixed, but the game-engine
itself seems very secure. Not a single crash in 10-15 hours of my
poking and experimenting.

John Lewis

June 8, 2005 2:46:41 PM

>>The 'patch' - huge though it is - fixes only some minor issues. The fact
>>is
>>the game
>>has a huge memory management problem and you need 1.5gb in your PC to
>>get it to run well.
>
> ! Gbyte RAM. plus 1.5 Gbyte virtual memory

I ran the game on one HDD and a large fixed swapfile on a separate HDD -
works
like a charm for everything else. With 1gb of RAM I shouldnt be having
problems
with any game.

>> When I exit to desktop after playing for an hour and CAD
>>to bring up task manager
>>(which takes about 30 seconds to appear) the game still has about 600mb of
>>memory. I can sit and watch it
>>count down to the usual 150mb (winxp pro) and it takes at least a minute
>>before my PC is running smoothly
>>again and I can start doing other stuff.
>
> So what ?? It does apparently clean up properly.
> A side-effect of progressively loading the map into RAM for instant
> retrieval. This is a LARGE game. 4Gbytes of program and data after
> installation.

Theres nothing 'instant' about BP - you leave the main town and go into the
countryside.
Come back an hour later and it starts loading all the town data back in and
Boy! do you
notice it.

> Enabling HT mode on a P4 helps a lot with these problems. The
> performance difference is quite significant. Most obvious effect
> is the almost total elimination of the graphical hesitations when
> rapidly moving around the map. It also seems to help with audio
> stutters. The game is thread-loading in the background... when
> it can get some background cycles. Should be very interesting indeed
> to observe performance on a dual-core processor, or a 2-processor
> system.

The specs just say a 2ghz CPU and I know Im just in there but if it said
3ghz P4 recommended then I'd be forewarned. It also said 512mb RAM
which is bollocks.

>>Other minor bugs include cars going off the road and killing pedestrians
>>in
>>town - happens a LOT.
>
> Nope, not if you drive with a rear camera-view and use the WASD
> controls BF1942-style. It would have been very nice to have been
> able to look around from behind the wheel. The alternate views via
> F10, F11 are presumably intended to compensate for that limitation.
> The pedestrians are dumb enough not to halt for the car, so you
> need to adjust your driving technique accordingly.

Not talking about my driving. Other road users regularly run over
pedestrians
- Ive made a fair bit of money looting the bodies !

>>The patch is supposed to improve the minor bugs but I saw no evidence of
>>that yesterday after I
>>installed it. The gameplay is good and I know some people will put up with
>>the bugs but I couldnt.
>
> A second patch is under way. And the (currently-withdrawn) US patch
> fixes a lot more problems than the current (new ) Euro-patch. I have
> loaded the withdrawn US patch on the release US DVD, just for 'kicks'
> It complains about 3 map-files on the DVD being newer than what is in
> the patch and leaves them alone, otherwise it loads fine and the Xenus
> .exe is updated. Seems to solve a lot of the audio problems. However,
> I am a little disappointed about the removal by the patch of the debug
>
> information ( including frame-rate ) that displayed by pressing the
> "=" key. I'm sure that appropriate digging in one of the .ini file
> will restore the debug display.
>
>>This is the buggiest FPS
>
> Actually a RPG/adventure with FPS components. The RPG
> part of the game is working very well indeed. For a RPG, the
> user-interface is one of the best that I have seen. IMHO, far better
> than that of Morrowind, of which this game is a modern clone.
>
>> I've played since Hidden & Dangerous. I took my
>>copy back to the shop.
>>Buyer Beware.
>>
>>P.S the word in the forums is that EBgames have withdrawn the game from
>>sale. Dunno how true it is
>>but it wouldnt surprise me one bit.
>>

> True, for the moment...at least in the US.. However, Gamestop is
> currently openly shipping the US edition.
>
> There are operational bugs that need to be fixed, but the game-engine
> itself seems very secure. Not a single crash in 10-15 hours of my
> poking and experimenting.
>
> John Lewis

I didnt have one single crash with version 1 either - the UK patch did
cause my version to stop responding in the menu screens once - required
a reset.

The bits that did play okay were good and the game has undoubted promise
but the problems are significant enough for one retailer to think about
pulling it.
If I was able to play it smoothly for 1 hour at 800x600 low to medium
settings
I'd be singing its praises right now instead of warning people off.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:05:37 PM

wrote:

>Praise be....
>Boiling Point Eur/UK patch is out..76 MBs ...
>Go from here
>http://www.boiling-point.net/
>
>Or Atari Download..page....
>http://www.uk.atari.com/index.php?pp=download&did=109

I have seen a couple of new bugs since installation of Update 1 for Boiling
Point:

Travelling around now will randomly drop a waypoint for a left vehicle, even
though you have never even been there yet. Doesn' seem to affect gameplay in
any way though.

Sound when in a vehicle kept cutting out. Tested this by holding down the horn
button and it would keep cutting out. Upped the sound options to 12 3D sources
from 8 and this went away. 8 worked before the patch however.

Random crashes when travelling. I suspect these may be swap file related as it
would normally happen after I am reloading a quicksave and there will be a lot
of swap file activity and then it will crash with a vital.dll or game.dll
related error. Played for nearly 5 hours straight last night and didn't see it
though.

Overall I haven't noticed the patch fix a lot to be honest. I have once had
some peds get stuck on the front of my SUV but most of the time they will go
around it. I'm just more careful where I park it now.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:12:08 PM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:32:31 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>"Trimble Bracegirdle" <NOspam@spam.not> wrote in message
>> Praise be....
>> Boiling Point Eur/UK patch is out..76 MBs ...
>> Go from here
>> http://www.boiling-point.net/
>>
>> Or Atari Download..page....
>> http://www.uk.atari.com/index.php?pp=download&did=109
>>
>> Luv Mouse
>> @@@@

<snip>

>Other minor bugs include cars going off the road and killing pedestrians in
>town - happens a LOT.
>The patch is supposed to improve the minor bugs but I saw no evidence of
>that yesterday after I
>installed it. The gameplay is good and I know some people will put up with
>the bugs but I couldnt.
>This is the buggiest FPS I've played since Hidden & Dangerous. I took my
>copy back to the shop.

I haven't seen any major show stopping bugs post patch. Pre patch I had a
solid error that would not let me head east after accepting the mission the
adrenaline dealers to steal documents from a nearby military base. Patch
seemed to fix that at least. I don't think there is a game like it out there
at the moment and for that alone I would hang on to it. As for the driving I
like to pretend that it is an advert not to drink drive!! Seriously though,
the only time I have seen cars go off the road is either because of something
I did, like parking my car in the middle of the road or shooting at them, or
in the middle of a fire fight in the jungle. The AI tries to find its way
around an obstacle or just sits there and honks its horn. Sometimes it will
just do a 3 point turn to get around the obstacle but it seems to not be aware
of pedestrians so it just runs them over. Oddly, the faction that the driver
has just run over does not react to this, even if they are killed. If I do
that, even if I am a close friend they will open fire on me. These incidents
are good source of Pesos either way. :)
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:22:14 PM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:46:41 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

<big 'old snip>

>I didnt have one single crash with version 1 either - the UK patch did
>cause my version to stop responding in the menu screens once - required
>a reset.
>
>The bits that did play okay were good and the game has undoubted promise
>but the problems are significant enough for one retailer to think about
>pulling it.
>If I was able to play it smoothly for 1 hour at 800x600 low to medium
>settings
>I'd be singing its praises right now instead of warning people off.

I think a lot of this stems from the spec of the machine they recommend. That
and a lot of people are facing up to the fact that they will have to upgrade
to run it well since this game is such a beast. This doesn't make it a bad
game, just one with very high requirements. My system runs it very well with
custom settings with most set to high except grass and bloom is turned off.
This is at 1024x768. My rig is:

Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego core
MSI Neo 2 Platinum
1GB Corsair XMS 3200XL Pro DDR
HIS X800XT IceQ2 256MB
Creative Labs. Audigy 2
Win XP SP2 on a Quantum Atlas IV Ultra SCSI drive
Games installed on a DiamonMax Plus 10 250GB SATA drive
Latest drivers for everything including Catalyst 5.5.

They say Catalyst 5.6 is going to bring some large speed increases along with
some specific fixes for Boiling Point. Should be with us soon hopefully.
June 8, 2005 4:28:43 PM

> I haven't seen any major show stopping bugs post patch. Pre patch I had a
> solid error that would not let me head east after accepting the mission
> the
> adrenaline dealers to steal documents from a nearby military base. Patch
> seemed to fix that at least. I don't think there is a game like it out
> there
> at the moment and for that alone I would hang on to it. As for the driving
> like to pretend that it is an advert not to drink drive!! Seriously
> though,
> the only time I have seen cars go off the road is either because of
> something
> I did, like parking my car in the middle of the road

I learned to park very carefully on the pavement early on after I came back
my car to find it rammed off the road and 50% damaged.

>or shooting at them, or
> in the middle of a fire fight in the jungle. The AI tries to find its way
> around an obstacle or just sits there and honks its horn. Sometimes it
> will
> just do a 3 point turn to get around the obstacle but it seems to not be
> aware
> of pedestrians so it just runs them over.
..
Oh yeah - did you help the grannie cross the road ? I was having kittens
doing
that mission !
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:33:07 PM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:28:43 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>> I haven't seen any major show stopping bugs post patch. Pre patch I had a
>> solid error that would not let me head east after accepting the mission
>> the
>> adrenaline dealers to steal documents from a nearby military base. Patch
>> seemed to fix that at least. I don't think there is a game like it out
>> there
>> at the moment and for that alone I would hang on to it. As for the driving
>> like to pretend that it is an advert not to drink drive!! Seriously
>> though,
>> the only time I have seen cars go off the road is either because of
>> something
>> I did, like parking my car in the middle of the road
>
>I learned to park very carefully on the pavement early on after I came back
>my car to find it rammed off the road and 50% damaged.
>
>>or shooting at them, or
>> in the middle of a fire fight in the jungle. The AI tries to find its way
>> around an obstacle or just sits there and honks its horn. Sometimes it
>> will
>> just do a 3 point turn to get around the obstacle but it seems to not be
>> aware
>> of pedestrians so it just runs them over.
>.
>Oh yeah - did you help the grannie cross the road ? I was having kittens
>doing
>that mission !

Haven't seen that one. I had heard about it and roamed around looking for her
without luck. Then I found that I could donate 1000 pesos to the bank to boost
civilan perception of me. Another one I found was a bloke jumping off a
bridge. I never managed to save him on an earlier save so will keep an eye out
for him. It was on the first large bridge West of Puerto Sombra.
June 8, 2005 4:37:34 PM

*snip*

> I think a lot of this stems from the spec of the machine they recommend.
> That
> and a lot of people are facing up to the fact that they will have to
> upgrade
> to run it well since this game is such a beast. This doesn't make it a bad
> game, just one with very high requirements. My system runs it very well
> with
> custom settings with most set to high except grass and bloom is turned
> off.
> This is at 1024x768. My rig is:
>
> Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego core
> MSI Neo 2 Platinum
> 1GB Corsair XMS 3200XL Pro DDR
> HIS X800XT IceQ2 256MB
> Creative Labs. Audigy 2
> Win XP SP2 on a Quantum Atlas IV Ultra SCSI drive
> Games installed on a DiamonMax Plus 10 250GB SATA drive
> Latest drivers for everything including Catalyst 5.5.
>
> They say Catalyst 5.6 is going to bring some large speed increases along
> with
> some specific fixes for Boiling Point. Should be with us soon hopefully.

I know my rig is quite low and yes ppl in the www.boiling-point.net forums
are saying upgrade to 1.5gb and it runs a lot better. If they put a
recommended
spec on the box of 3ghz CPU and 1.5gb RAM it would give ppl a better idea
than 2ghz and 512mb.

What about the sound popping when you're driving ? Do you get that ?
June 8, 2005 4:40:24 PM

>>Oh yeah - did you help the grannie cross the road ? I was having kittens
>>doing
>>that mission !
>
> Haven't seen that one. I had heard about it and roamed around looking for
> her
> without luck. Then I found that I could donate 1000 pesos to the bank to
> boost
> civilan perception of me. Another one I found was a bloke jumping off a
> bridge. I never managed to save him on an earlier save so will keep an eye
> out
> for him. It was on the first large bridge West of Puerto Sombra.

She's sat by the curb either by the Bank or the Motel. Just approach and
talk
and she asks for help to cross the road.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:55:37 PM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:46:41 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>Theres nothing 'instant' about BP - you leave the main town and go into the
>countryside.
>Come back an hour later

via Taxi ??

> and it starts loading all the town data back in and
>Boy! do you
>notice it.
>

>> Enabling HT mode on a P4 helps a lot with these problems.

unfortunately you don't have HT on your Athlon

>The
>> performance difference is quite significant. Most obvious effect
>> is the almost total elimination of the graphical hesitations when
>> rapidly moving around the map. It also seems to help with audio
>> stutters. The game is thread-loading in the background... when
>> it can get some background cycles. Should be very interesting indeed
>> to observe performance on a dual-core processor, or a 2-processor
>> system.
>
>The specs just say a 2ghz CPU and I know Im just in there but if it said
>3ghz P4 recommended then I'd be forewarned. It also said 512mb RAM
>which is bollocks.

Reading directly off the US box:-

Processor: Pentium 4 2GHz, or AMD Athlon 2GHz ( Pentium 4 3GHz,
or Athlon XP 3000+ or higher recommended )
Memory: 512MByte RAM ( 1Gbyte recommended )
Video: 128 MB Hardware T&L video-compatible card (256MB hardware
T & L video card recommended )

I have a FX5900/128MByte [non-XT] and normally run BPat 1024x768x32,
with no graphics issues, or <graphics-related > slow-down problems. I
have enabled most of the custom graphics features. My CPU is a
3.2GHz P4 Prescott, 1GByte RAM.

>>>Other minor bugs include cars going off the road and killing pedestrians
>>>in
>>>town - happens a LOT.
>>
>> Nope, not if you drive with a rear camera-view and use the WASD
>> controls BF1942-style. It would have been very nice to have been
>> able to look around from behind the wheel. The alternate views via
>> F10, F11 are presumably intended to compensate for that limitation.
>> The pedestrians are dumb enough not to halt for the car, so you
>> need to adjust your driving technique accordingly.
>
>Not talking about my driving. Other road users regularly run over
>pedestrians

Mafia and guerillas on drugs.... ?

>- Ive made a fair bit of money looting the bodies !

How nice...

>>>The patch is supposed to improve the minor bugs but I saw no evidence of
>>>that yesterday after I
>>>installed it. The gameplay is good and I know some people will put up with
>>>the bugs but I couldnt.
>>
>> A second patch is under way. And the (currently-withdrawn) US patch
>> fixes a lot more problems than the current (new ) Euro-patch.

>>>This is the buggiest FPS
>>> I've played since Hidden & Dangerous. I took my
>>>copy back to the shop.
>>>Buyer Beware.
>>>
>>>P.S the word in the forums is that EBgames have withdrawn the game from
>>>sale. Dunno how true it is
>>>but it wouldnt surprise me one bit.
>>>

>> True, for the moment...at least in the US.. However, Gamestop is
>> currently openly shipping the US edition.
>>
>> There are operational bugs that need to be fixed, but the game-engine
>> itself seems very secure. Not a single crash in 10-15 hours of my
>> poking and experimenting.
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>I didnt have one single crash with version 1 either - the UK patch did
>cause my version to stop responding in the menu screens once - required
>a reset.
>
>The bits that did play okay were good and the game has undoubted promise
>but the problems are significant enough for one retailer to think about
>pulling it.
>If I was able to play it smoothly for 1 hour at 800x600 low to medium
>settings

(smoothly...assuming you mean literally..) The problem has nothing to
do with your graphics setting. The jerks are due to background
map-segment-loading, exactly as with Morrowind..except that the
Morrowind engine never properly solved the problem, even with a
HT-threaded processor. ( You can change the graphics or HT settings
settings for MW to your hearts desire and it doesn't make a fig of
difference to the random jerks - misunderstood by many to be
frame-rate problems. Fiddling with "so-called" thread-loading and
other parameters in the morrowind.ini file only changes the trade-off
between the frequency of the jerks and the duration of each..
how nice... ) Unlike MW, BP apparently threads the map-loading
background task correctly. Unfortunately your XP is neither fast
enough, nor is capable of any form of dual-core (HT) processing, so
the BP map-load thread gets stuck until it is forcibly scheduled (with
the resultant jerk), because a dependant task is blocked.

I shall be building a dual-core AMD X2 system in about 3 months, when
the price and availability of key components will be at a reasonable
sweet-spot. BP is an obvious test-candidate. I will try out MW too,
I think that the MW engine still does not spawn its map-loading
threads correctly, regardless of the associated morrowind.ini setting
and the latest patches...or maybe HT just does not provide sufficient
resources for MWs thread-implementation and I shall be proven
very happily wrong... I have never played with MW on a multiple-CPU
system.

BTW, a related comment on the future of PC games and the impact of
threading. Action-oriented FPS & RPG games are obviously going to be
ported to both the Xbox360 and PS3. Both of these systems are
parallel-processing, multithread-capable. Subsequent ports of the same
games to the PC are likely to be only minimally re-optimized for
single-threads, so any games ported from the consoles to the PC and
requiring background activities that are most efficiently handled by
spawning parallel threads ( background map-loading, AI, etc ) will not
run very well on single-core PCs. Games originally designed for
(single-threaded) home-PCs and subsequently ported to the new consoles
will do just fine, but expect the direction of the porting to be in
the other direction as the new consoles gain popularity. PC gaming
enthusiasts will need to upgrade to dual (or more) core PCs ( or just
cave in and buy a console...). The warning signs are there. How soon
-- maybe within a year and a half... So for those newly investing in
a Socket-939 Athlon MB today, it would be very prudent to make sure
that it will be at least be drop-in compatible with the X2 processor
(after a BIOS change). For example, avoid any MB with the Via K8T890
chip-set. Via has screwed up yet again.....

And anybody considering a current-generation dual-core Intel system
had better have a first-class air-conditioner next to their PC.

John Lewis

>I'd be singing its praises right now instead of warning people off.

June 9, 2005 1:32:50 AM

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 10:46:41 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
*snip*

> Reading directly off the US box:-
>
> Processor: Pentium 4 2GHz, or AMD Athlon 2GHz ( Pentium 4 3GHz,
> or Athlon XP 3000+ or higher recommended )
> Memory: 512MByte RAM ( 1Gbyte recommended )
> Video: 128 MB Hardware T&L video-compatible card (256MB hardware
> T & L video card recommended )

The UK Box said only minimum requirements

2ghz CPU
512mb RAM ...

so I guess we were the guinea pigs.

Im sure a HT CPU helps but Im pretty sure the main stumbling block is RAM
and its 1.5gb that reaches the sweet spot not 1gb. Check out the forums at
www.boiling-point.net
June 11, 2005 10:40:07 PM

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

> > This is at 1024x768. My rig is:
> >
> > Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego core
> > MSI Neo 2 Platinum
> > 1GB Corsair XMS 3200XL Pro DDR
> > HIS X800XT IceQ2 256MB
> > Creative Labs. Audigy 2
> > Win XP SP2 on a Quantum Atlas IV Ultra SCSI drive
> > Games installed on a DiamonMax Plus 10 250GB SATA drive
> > Latest drivers for everything including Catalyst 5.5.
> >
> > They say Catalyst 5.6 is going to bring some large speed increases along
> > with
> > some specific fixes for Boiling Point. Should be with us soon hopefully.
>
> I know my rig is quite low and yes ppl in the www.boiling-point.net forums
> are saying upgrade to 1.5gb and it runs a lot better. If they put a
> recommended
> spec on the box of 3ghz CPU and 1.5gb RAM it would give ppl a better idea
> than 2ghz and 512mb.

I don't hate people, but I really hate ppl.

Anyway, ppl...I mean: people really have to start thinking ahead. My 2600+
Barton is two years old, in a computer galaxy that's two lightyears.
"Boiling Point" looks one of the most interesting titles in months, and I
can't wait to get my hands on it. I suffered through "Vampire the
Masquarade" which was an absolute bug riot, so I'm prepared.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:27:06 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Nada wrote:

> "Boiling Point" looks one of the most interesting titles in months, and I
> can't wait to get my hands on it. I suffered through "Vampire the
> Masquarade" which was an absolute bug riot, so I'm prepared.

Compared to the bugs of Boiling Point, the bugs of Vampire: The Masquerade
- Bloodlines look like peanuts ;) . At least after the official 1.2 patch.
Also the Boiling Point bugs are much more obvious...

June 14, 2005 12:45:44 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:27:06 +0200, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Nada wrote:
>
>> "Boiling Point" looks one of the most interesting titles in months, and I
>> can't wait to get my hands on it. I suffered through "Vampire the
>> Masquarade" which was an absolute bug riot, so I'm prepared.
>
>Compared to the bugs of Boiling Point, the bugs of Vampire: The Masquerade
>- Bloodlines look like peanuts ;) . At least after the official 1.2 patch.
>Also the Boiling Point bugs are much more obvious...

Compared to Dungeon Lords though it's perfect. At least the content in BP is
all there, or at least as far as I have got with the main plot. Dungeon Lords
has huge chunks of gameplay features that just aren't there. Both of the main
websites advertising it still state that the game has caves to explore plus
arctic areas that aren't even in the game. The one item I have found that I
suspect may not be implemented is that you can buy a blueprint to a home but
its doesn't appear to be any way to use it that I have found. The official
forum members have confirmed this.
June 15, 2005 1:48:07 PM

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Nada wrote:
>
> > "Boiling Point" looks one of the most interesting titles in months, and
> > I can't wait to get my hands on it. I suffered through "Vampire the
> > Masquarade" which was an absolute bug riot, so I'm prepared.
>
> Compared to the bugs of Boiling Point, the bugs of Vampire: The Masquerade
> - Bloodlines look like peanuts ;) . At least after the official 1.2 patch.
> Also the Boiling Point bugs are much more obvious...

I hope they're big iron eating bugs like the ones in "Thief 3" so that you
can
shoot them when they're blocking your way. One of the most irritating
moments in a game ("Vampire") was this wooden plank that I just couldn't
push
with all my superduper vampire powers. I spent an hour trying to figure out
how the heck I'm suppose to go through the door.
!