No Internet connection

slushpuppyZA

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Hello all

I have 2 issues with my laptop at the moment. It is a HP Pavillion dv 6(the 1 with radeon 6770m and intel integrated graphics) It has windows 7 premium 64 - bit.

First issue BACKGROUND INTELLIGENT TRANSFER. That little program that uses "minor" amounts of data to make sure your computer stays up to date. Issue is it won't stop downloading. And I mean GIGs of wasted data. If I go computer > manage > services and change it from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL it will change itself back.(No reboot it just changes back)

How can I fix this?
PS windows updates is completely off still does it if on still does it.

Second issue

I have had this problem now a few times. Last night I tried installing XBOX WIRELESS RECEIVER and used my xbox controller and everything was working fine. Tested a few games and then rebooted. After reboot internet connection does no longer work. And I mean any form of internet connection WIRED, WIRELESS , CELLPHONE ,DATA CARD. And I noticed AVG Internet Security 2012 has an error that just states FIREWALL INACTIVE.
Several reboots does not fix the problem. Had to use system restore to the state before I installed the xbox wireless receiver. Now this has happened before. Previous time it happened when I did a normal windows update for Microsoft framework 4.0. Had to do a system restore to fix that problem too.

Now please this is not an issue with my service provider as I have experienced this with 3 different cellular providers and 4 different adsl service providers. Not an issue with the router or lan drivers. This issues cancels out any form of internet connection so nothing works even if you uninstall and reinstall drivers. Uninstalled AVG as well still no connection.

Any ideas?

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
You might probably have a malware hiding in somewhere

Inactive Firewall + No Windows Update = trouble.

Run MBAM and Superantispyware.....if it does not solve the problem, you may have raise a ticket with some expert malware forums. I do not know if there is a dedicated malware support at Tom's.

If you are using win7, windows firewall is very good. So is MSE.

slushpuppyZA

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I figured AVG Internet security would be sufficient I mean it is the paid version. Doing a scan with AVG results in nothing. And even windows malware removal tool picks up nothing. I am still able to do windows updates but only when I install certain software does it cause an issue.
Funny thing is whenever I install that software at the windows restore points it says that direct x was also installed. Every issue that I have with my pc it list DIRECT X installation at the restore points. Maybe just coincidence?

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Not sure what's going on with your system. I recommend the following:

A full scan with Superantispyware and MBAM

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Then, go to http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

If all fails, raise a thread on a malware forum.

it is a good idea to use spyware guard...most of them would probably be free for personal use). it is a good idea to invest in a paid version (I would prefer MBAM realtime pro).

If you are installing a certified software, they should not cause any problems with your windows function. If you are using any p2p software or free software, you have to be careful as some of them might be infested with bloatware/spyware/malware. I am not saying that the software that you installed is causing these problems. Your symptoms are typical of a malware/spyware...

If you are not sure, stop installing those software...This website is fantastic to check if the software is free of any problems

https://www.virustotal.com/

The scan result should give you 100% result; I think it is out of 43 or something like that...the scores on the numerator and denominators should match. Otherwise, it is a little suspicious, unless it is a false positive.

slushpuppyZA

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Ok see the problem is the software I am installing is micrsosoft software. The 3 main programs that seem to be the guilty ones are MICRSOSOFT XBOX WIRELESS RECEIVER, Internet explorer 9 and MS FRAMEWORK update. Just general windows updates.

It for some reason causes conflict with my TCP settings on any form of connection then does not allow any for of exterior network connection. Now there is still no fix for it. I did the spyware/malware fix and had only 10 tracking cookies that seem to come from internet explorer somewhere.(Dont even use internet explorer anymore)

Can't fix this. So I did a complete windows reinstall over the weekend. Guess what after doing the updates same issue.

So I think there is no fix for this.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Update the firmwares/drivers for all wireless / routers

Sometimes, firewall can interfere the smooth function of your wireless. Add an exception to your firewall (specifically for your Xbox wireless receiver). See if that helps.

BTW, how does this XBox Wireless receiver is configured? Is it configured through the router or Via Xbox. How do you connect to the internet?

Do you also have a wireless connection for the internet? You may then have a conflict as they use the same channel. Try changing the channel / frequency.

slushpuppyZA

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Sorry SSri

As I said before this is not a issue with the routers or anything. The Xbox wireless receiver is the one you use to connect xbox controllers to your pc and has nothing to do with an actual xbox connected to the network.

As I said before this is a issue that happens when I install certain software on my computer. All microsoft software it seems. And also as mentioned before I have tried multiple internet connection using wired, wireless and cellphone datacards. Nothing works after installing certain windows updates or software for the xbox wireless receiver.

Once again as mentioned before this is not an issue with the router or internet connection it is a issue that happens when I install certain software on my pc. Internet connection works perfectly fine before updates after updates nothing. Cant connect to anything. Please read my first post again.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Tracking cookies can come from any browser. You may consider add-ons like Abine and check if it helps minimising/blocking tracking. I'm sorry you are still having problems. The only way to isolate the problem for a fix, in my personal opinion, is connecting to the network one at time with your problems
MICRSOSOFT XBOX WIRELESS RECEIVER, Internet explorer 9 and MS FRAMEWORK update.

well..sorry if the following puts you off...try changing the channel of your xbox wireless receiver...may be there is a bug, which needs a new firmware. The problems with wireless (be it a wireless internet or wireless XBox receiver) is they are pretty sensitive to anything electronic equipments around them (cordless, mobiles for example).

Regarding windows update/MSFrameWrok update, plese check this if it helps...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/lose-internet-connection-after-windows-7-updates/c508b83f-3ecc-4497-aab6-f9cd211bd016