Sign in with
Your question

Laptop/Raid/Tablet remote access question

Last response: in Networking
September 14, 2012 5:50:05 AM

Hello everyone,

My current situation is I am travelling overseas for graduate school next year in september, and as such I will be purchasing a variety of mobile devices and I was wondering if the following is possible;

Could i connect a RAID enclosure to a laptop and have it act as a NAS? The laptop will stay in my dorm and have an ethernet cable attached and converted to a WiFi Hotspot. I would be bringing my tablet to class to take notes and I was wondering if i could access any files on my RAID storage remotely this way?

If this is possible, could someone suggest a laptop with a fast WiFi speed and RAID enclosure since I have not purchased either of these yet. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 currently which i hope would be compatible with this setup. I am planning to move my internal HDDs currently sitting in my desktop into the RAID enclosure, and leave the SSD i use for booting for my little brother to use my desktop when i am gone.

Thanks in advance for any input.
a c 207 D Laptop
September 14, 2012 4:35:53 PM

Any laptop would do for this really, but do you really need a laptop for anything? If the files you have can be accessed on the tablet directly, you can just plug that into the network, setup external access to the device (any network storage unit will have that options) and access that directly with the tablet.

Take a look at this, and similar products http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:49:50 PM

You're right, I don't really need the laptop for anything except creating the network itself. All i'll have to work with would otherwise be the ethernet cable (for internet access in my dorm), the NAS and a tablet.

How could i setup a network without a laptop or desktop? Even if I ask to borrow someone's laptop i would still need to purchase a router, or could i just plug the ethernet cable directly into the NAS?
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 D Laptop
September 14, 2012 6:24:01 PM

What type of connection to you have available? Do you just have the one connection in your dorm? If you do, most places do not want personal routers in dorm rooms, in which case you would need to use a laptop and setup an ad-hock wifi network using internet connection sharing and wifi, then then you'd need to have the laptop on all the time with the external hard drive attached and shared. If you are going to be using a school network for this, you need to make sure anything you put in the room will be reachable from the outside. You may need to use a 3rd party program like Logmein to connect to your laptop to get to the drive remotely.

If this was your own network, would be pretty easy, just attach the network drive storage to it, setup the external sharing and off you go.
m
l
September 15, 2012 8:08:31 AM

The dorm internet will be via one gigabyte ethernet cable. I'm not sure where it's connected, might be exclusive to the dorm and not the school network. They wouldn't answer that, but I think it's because they don't know. The replier seemed unsure herself. I've read through logmein and it looks like a solid app, thank you for the suggestion.

Wouldn't creating a wifi hotspot be the same as creating "my own" network? It would just be a network in another network?
m
l
a c 207 D Laptop
September 17, 2012 2:53:52 PM

rodney1234 said:
The dorm internet will be via one gigabyte ethernet cable. I'm not sure where it's connected, might be exclusive to the dorm and not the school network. They wouldn't answer that, but I think it's because they don't know. The replier seemed unsure herself. I've read through logmein and it looks like a solid app, thank you for the suggestion.

Wouldn't creating a wifi hotspot be the same as creating "my own" network? It would just be a network in another network?

It would not be your own network but an extension of the school network. The data still goes though their connections, which means anything going in and out is monitored and controlled by them.
m
l
!