Problem with ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR PCI Card

Viengsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2002
Hi, I just bought the card today for my wife's computer and when I try booting up the computer with the video card in it, it locks up at the start up screen. The computer is a E-Tower 600ix and I don't seem to know what the problem is. Any suggestions? I emailed E-Machine technical support and they said this

ATI card has something on it called Hydravision, this feature supports multi-monitor/video. This causes a conflict with the system BIOS and the Intel chipset, which will not allow it to start because the BIOS does not support multi-video devices. You will need to install a card that does not support multi-video display.

Any suggestions?

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Never heard of such a thing before!
It's probably conflicting with the Intel 810 chipset's integrated graphics. You must deactivate it first. See if you can deactivate it in the BIOS. If so, start the PC and remove all graphics drivers in Windows Device Manager. Then close PC. Insert Radeon card and boot to BIOS. Deactivate integrated graphics. Save BIOS. Boot to Windows. Install Catalyst drivers from ATI.
Hope this will work for you. Good luck!

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

Viengsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2002
Well, I'll try that, but it could also be my power supply because its only a 120 power supply.

My bios doesn't let deact. the on board video.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Viengsta on 08/22/02 04:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Well, that's a shame you can't deactivate the integrated graphics! I take it you don't have any AGP slot. There's probably nothing else you can do then (well, nothing I can think of). Maybe someone else has another suggestion, but if you can't deactivate integrated graphics, I doubt there's something you can do.
Your PSU's power sure is very very low, but I doubt this is the main reason for your card not working. It sure wouldn't hurt to change it in the near future. If you keep the power consumption to a minimal (ie, don't change your initial configuration), you may do fine, but it's still a pretty low power supply.
I believe your system was intended for people who wouldn't and will not change any parts, much less open the case, and who would be satisfied with this system.
Tough luck, buddy! Your best option would probably be to return the Radeon or change the platform (motherboard, CPU, memory) and the PSU.
Sorry I can't be of any more help!

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I don't wanna condemn you, but you should have had inquired first <b>before purchasing</b>.
Try posting in the <b>Graphics Card</b> thread as more people are visiting this thread rather than the Video card thread. You might get some more answers.