Soundcard with built-in Dolby Headphone support?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 3, 2004 7:54:53 AM

Subject says it all, really. I'll soon be playing a game that can
output 5.1- or 7.1-channel audio, as most decent games do these
days. But I don't have eight speakers situated around my chair,
nor is the idea particularly appealing, even if it was a practical
option, which, considering where I live, it is not.

I know about Dolby Headphone technology, and I'm willing to give it
a shot. For a while, I thought about picking up the Pioneer
SE-DIR800C, but I'm having to reconsider that option, seeing as how
the price is somewhat inexplicable. I say the price seems high,
because the same exact technology is available as part of the DVD
player software called PowerDVD, which seems to be a freebie with
just about any DVD-related item I've ever bought.

So, there's two options right there. Software plugin for a DVD
player, or stand-alone hardware costing some $300.

Now, it seems to me that it ought to be laughably easy to integrate
the relevant algorithms into a soundcard so that all one needs to
do is tell the soundcard, "Okay, start turning that 7.1 audio into
Dolby Headphone stereo and send it to the headphone jack." But I
haven't exactly had a lot of luck finding the soundcard that can
do this. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Or maybe it's just
not out yet. Anyone know?

One caveat: I am really not interested in a software-based Dolby
Headphone solution. That would eat into valuable CPU time, which
is to be avoided.

Thanks for any help.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 5:20:14 PM

In article <9dc342ba.0409030254.486b800d@posting.google.com> retsa2@hotmail.com writes:

> I'll soon be playing a game that can
> output 5.1- or 7.1-channel audio, as most decent games do these
> days. But I don't have eight speakers situated around my chair,
> nor is the idea particularly appealing, even if it was a practical
> option, which, considering where I live, it is not.

> So, there's two options right there. Software plugin for a DVD
> player, or stand-alone hardware costing some $300.

If you have to play the game using headphones, how about just
listening in stereo? Chances are you'll be too busy with the whiz-bang
graphics to really be able to pay attention to surround effects in the
phones. Speakers could be interesting, but I doubt you'd gain much
from surround headphones, even if you could get something to work that
you can afford.

Surround in speakers has some merit, sometimes, and a game is a
good application where it's particularly effective. But headphones and
loudspeakers are rarely comparable, so I don't think any gimmick
that gives you some impression of surround sound in the phones would
be of any long-term advantage.

Have you had a different experience? Have you played games with
surround sound using a headphone system that you can't afford? I'd
be curious to know if you think it's a worthwhile enhancement, or if
this is just something you think you should be able to do so you want
to try it.

September 3, 2004 10:02:51 PM

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1094223018k@trad>...
> In article <9dc342ba.0409030254.486b800d@posting.google.com> retsa2@hotmail.com writes:
>
> If you have to play the game using headphones, how about just
> listening in stereo?

Easy to answer. The game supports surround, so I want it. I
won't knock surround listening; it really enhances the experience,
sometimes as much as going from mono to stereo. I speak of course
from my experiences with traditional surround sound.

> Speakers could be interesting, but I doubt you'd gain much
> from surround headphones, even if you could get something to work that
> you can afford.

At the very least, room acoustic effects would be more convincing
with 5+ simulated speakers than with standard stereo. And while
this is not a first-person shooter I plan to play, were I to play
such a game, the ability to tell whether something is in front of
or behind me could be useful.

> But headphones and
> loudspeakers are rarely comparable

The only argument against that I'll offer is that headphones will
always be superior to loudspeakers at providing fine detail. I
don't even bother with loudspeakers when I compose music.

> I'd
> be curious to know if you think it's a worthwhile enhancement, or if
> this is just something you think you should be able to do so
> you want to try it.

More of the latter, although I will mention that the people who
visit high-end audio forums who have bought Dolby Surround solutions
seem to be convinced that it's a reasonably acceptable solution if
one desires surround sound but for whatever reason can only use
headphones.

It does bewilder me, though, that Dolby Headphone sound can be
achieved with a plugin for a common software DVD player, but other
than that, there doesn't seem to be any PC-specific method for
achieving it. I wait for somebody to prove me wrong.
September 4, 2004 8:59:26 AM

Marc Brown wrote:

> It does bewilder me, though, that Dolby Headphone sound can be
> achieved with a plugin for a common software DVD player, but other
> than that, there doesn't seem to be any PC-specific method for
> achieving it. I wait for somebody to prove me wrong.

I've got it going on with Virtual Audio Cable, AudioMulch,
SIR VST convolvers and the impulse responses I was able to
measure (and somewhat improve upon) from one of the DH
player plugins. All the sound going out from any
application on my PC goes through that path to the 'phone
output on my DS2416. With Mulch I can switch it in and out
along with the compensation that makes my Radio Shack
Titanium's razor flat with constant group delay. Fun stuff.
Sounds pretty darned plausible and takes about 15% of my
900 mHz PII cycles. The latency isn't too cool but that's
SIR and he's working on a zero latency convolution
implementation.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:30:05 PM

In article <9dc342ba.0409031702.660364e6@posting.google.com> retsa2@hotmail.com writes:

> Easy to answer. The game supports surround, so I want it.

Easy response - get out your wallet. <g>

> It does bewilder me, though, that Dolby Headphone sound can be
> achieved with a plugin for a common software DVD player, but other
> than that, there doesn't seem to be any PC-specific method for
> achieving it. I wait for somebody to prove me wrong.

I suspect that there's some financial (licensing) connection there.
It's not that it's so hard to build hardware, but that it's so easy to
collect money for a software license when you know that there are
zillions of copies of Winamp and the like in circulation.

January 9, 2010 1:37:56 AM

The ASUS Xonar cards support dolby headphones. The STX and the one right below it without the dedicated headphone amp specifically.
January 10, 2010 12:15:00 PM

yes thhe asus and many other cards out there support dolby headphone.

however if u do want to doloby headphone technology implmented in the headphones

u could check out sharkoon x-tactic gidital headphones (5.1)

or the logitech g35 (7.1)
January 10, 2010 11:40:47 PM

...post date from 2004 people...
January 11, 2010 1:55:12 PM