San Andreas PC ver - First Impressions

(It's still okay to talk about games in this group, right?)

The DVD actually comes with a 77 page hardcover book made into a kind of
mock city guide. (also includes map and serves as CD case/holder)

The highest screen resolution is 1024X768X32 + Wide screen.

No First Person POV on foot.

Takes up 4.7GB Space on your HD.

So far on my 1.83 Ghz Athlon, 9800 pro with 512 RAM mem, I've had no trouble
running with almost everything maxed out (but frame limiter on).

Autotargeting is referred to but it's either not supported or I can't figure
out how to use it. You do have to hold down a key to get the crosshairs to
come up, but I'm used to this because it's like the Iron Sites on MOH.

From what I can tell it takes just one button to get into a car although I
haven't yet met anyone resisiting much.

That's all for now... I was worried it would feel too much like a Vice City
extension mod, but it's done well taking things to a higher level. HWY
chases are cool...

Well, I need to go play now.
58 answers Last reply
More about andreas impressions

    On 2005-06-08, JoeSmooth <f@ke.net> wrote:
    > (It's still okay to talk about games in this group, right?)
    >
    > The DVD actually comes with a 77 page hardcover book made into a kind of
    > mock city guide. (also includes map and serves as CD case/holder)
    >
    > The highest screen resolution is 1024X768X32 + Wide screen.
    >
    > No First Person POV on foot.
    >
    > Takes up 4.7GB Space on your HD.
    >
    > So far on my 1.83 Ghz Athlon, 9800 pro with 512 RAM mem, I've had no trouble
    > running with almost everything maxed out (but frame limiter on).
    >
    > Autotargeting is referred to but it's either not supported or I can't figure
    > out how to use it. You do have to hold down a key to get the crosshairs to
    > come up, but I'm used to this because it's like the Iron Sites on MOH.
    >
    > From what I can tell it takes just one button to get into a car although I
    > haven't yet met anyone resisiting much.
    >
    > That's all for now... I was worried it would feel too much like a Vice City
    > extension mod, but it's done well taking things to a higher level. HWY
    > chases are cool...
    >

    > Well, I need to go play now.

    Saving. Can you save at any point? The stickler for me with GTA3 PC was
    that you had to drive across the map to save.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    > Saving. Can you save at any point? The stickler for me with GTA3 PC was
    > that you had to drive across the map to save.

    I generally only buy games where one can save anywhere.

    But I made an exception with Vice City and now San Andreas because the
    games are so much fun. There are MANY save/safe houses in San Andreas
    (but I guess you have buy them first). From my experience so far,
    having to get to the save house is less an issue in San Andreas than it
    was in Vice City.

    But one thing... saving advances time by 6 hours! I'm not sure what
    impact that has on the game/story. I liked going on treasure hunts and
    coming home to save over and over again in Vice City. Will doing this
    in San Andreas advance time too much and ruin any missions/story?

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:57:32 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

    >That's another reason I gave up on GTA3. The tiny map circle was too
    >small to be of any use, so I was always getting lost on Liberty Island.
    >When I opened up the bridge to the second area and the play area
    >doubled, I spent all my time getting lost and ended up giving up.

    I think a lot of the fun in GTA3/VC (my copy of SA is in the post) is
    in learning your way around the maps, even if it does take many hours.
    Exploring at leisure lets you find the fun bits that are scattered
    around, but also helps you learn shortcuts that are invaluable for the
    missions or when being chased.

    "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.net> wrote in message

    > The highest screen resolution is 1024X768X32 + Wide screen.

    erm... I think you mean 2048x1536

    [¬_¬]

    Walter <waltersibbons@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > But one thing... saving advances time by 6 hours! I'm not sure what
    > impact that has on the game/story. I liked going on treasure hunts and
    > coming home to save over and over again in Vice City. Will doing this
    > in San Andreas advance time too much and ruin any missions/story?

    I'm unsure at this point, but I think it influences things like
    eating/physical development. You can only work out so much per game day,
    and if you don't eat enough or work out enough over time, your physique
    suffers.

    Geo
    --
    George Mealer
    geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

    "Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
    of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry

    JoeSmooth wrote:

    > Autotargeting is referred to but it's either not supported or I can't figure
    > out how to use it.

    There was auto-targetting in GTA:VC when you were aiming with the keyboard
    - ain't no need consolish auto lock-on when aiming with da mouse, homeboy.

    Word to your mother. :)

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:06:43 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.net> wrote:

    Oh, one more thing:

    I can't understand what the characters are saying. I'm sorry, I don't
    speak Ebonics. It's hard for me to follow the plot much less
    understand the instructions as where to go and what to do to complete
    a mission.

    Am I the only one?

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 03:12:35 GMT, Spalls Hurgenson <yoinks@ebalu.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:06:43 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.net> wrote:
    >
    >Oh, one more thing:
    >
    >I can't understand what the characters are saying. I'm sorry, I don't
    >speak Ebonics. It's hard for me to follow the plot much less
    >understand the instructions as where to go and what to do to complete
    >a mission.
    >
    >Am I the only one?

    Turn on subtitles. I find them mandatory.

    Steve

    --
    www.thepaxamsolution.com

    Sam Jones wrote:

    > The PC version of Vice City seemed even *worse* than the PS2 for duplicate
    > car spawning. I once drove on the main road that circles the big mall at
    > the north of the eastern map, and every single car that spawned was of the
    > same type. Drove into the multi-storey car park attached to the mall, and
    > every car in it was the same. That was unsettling, and 'broke the metaphor'
    > a little.

    Sounds like GTA: Eastern Europe.

    I've got a great photo somewhere of a car park in East Berlin (as it
    was then). All the cars are identical Trabants, but in different
    bathroom suite colours. All except one, which is still a Trabi, but
    it's red and has got spoilers and go faster stripes.

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:06:43 -0400, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.net> wrote:

    >The DVD actually comes with a 77 page hardcover book made into a kind of
    >mock city guide. (also includes map and serves as CD case/holder)

    Nice glossy totally over produced manual that I will never read. The
    pull out map is all I ever want in a GTA game package.

    >The highest screen resolution is 1024X768X32 + Wide screen.

    Dependent on your monitor, it will go higher.

    >No First Person POV on foot.

    Well, duh, this is a GTA game.

    >Takes up 4.7GB Space on your HD.

    Yes, despite the install routine saying it will take 1GB!

    >So far on my 1.83 Ghz Athlon, 9800 pro with 512 RAM mem, I've had no trouble
    >running with almost everything maxed out (but frame limiter on).

    My XP2500+/6600GT/1GB RAM is running everything maxxed, no limiter,
    all smooth. The much reduced pop-up graphics over VC is very welcome.

    >Autotargeting is referred to but it's either not supported or I can't figure
    >out how to use it. You do have to hold down a key to get the crosshairs to
    >come up, but I'm used to this because it's like the Iron Sites on MOH.

    Autotargetting is to emulate the console weeners - does not apply with
    the much superior KB/Mouse.

    >From what I can tell it takes just one button to get into a car although I
    >haven't yet met anyone resisiting much.

    Same as the previous games.

    >That's all for now... I was worried it would feel too much like a Vice City
    >extension mod, but it's done well taking things to a higher level. HWY
    >chases are cool...

    I have just had my first hour of playing it and I have taken to it a
    lot more than with VC, although I am not sure if that is good or bad.
    It took me about a week to get over GTA3 and work out why VC was
    better, this one has grabbed me straight off.

    I like the setting of it, it seems a lot more real than the artificial
    day glow colour's of VC, the dialog is a lot sharper, funnier, and the
    cutscenes are more enjoyable for me. From what I have heard of the
    soundtrack, it works for me.

    I am really enjoying it so far...gotta back to da hood mother
    f'ers...erm I think I will play it some more!

    In article <J9Hpe.7377$Nd3.556383@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    Walter <waltersibbons@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >But one thing... saving advances time by 6 hours! I'm not sure what
    >impact that has on the game/story. I liked going on treasure hunts and
    >coming home to save over and over again in Vice City. Will doing this
    >in San Andreas advance time too much and ruin any missions/story?

    No. The only lasting effect is to increase the "days passed" counter
    in the statistics section. The missions will be patiently waiting for
    you :-)

    Cheers
    Bent D
    --