Failed to connect to windows service / slow boot. Please Help

trickie

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
* boot computer
* Windows boot screen displayed ~ 1 minute
* screen goes black. Can move mouse. Drive light constantly on, not blinking. ~ 5 minutes
* Desktop loads ~ 1 minute
> sometimes it loads with regular windows aero theme other times it loads with basic windows classic theme.
* Error message pop up "failed to connect to System event notification service"
* Have to wait for about 5 more minutes before computer is actually usable
* Occasionally the audio service does not work as well...

from when I press the power button to when I can actually use my computer takes 10 - 15 minutes.
my name is Patricia Emin

my e=mail is trickie@faroc.com.au :ouch:

Solution

Whoever told you to get that application is an IDIOT ! - Those APPS are designed to show you a ton of errors (of which most do not even exist) to scare you into thinking you must run their software to solve all the...

Windows repair & run your AV scans

trickie

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Here is what I have tried so far
*Turning off all start up programs / services
*Uninstalled AVG anti virus

So I don't know what to do with that information or if that test even matters.
* I have tried looking at the event viewer but every time it says that the event log service is unavailable.
> I try turning on Windows Event Log but that does not change anything

Turn your services back on - Can't expect to view things with no services.

Check your hard drive: From a command prompt type : chkdsk /r

trickie

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Access Deniedas you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode. sorry I am not an admin and I am having trouble finding on here how to change to admin. My old desk top was easy to change to admin can you tell me what to do next. Also I got rid of all the extra tool bars I had. For a while it went so much fast once i took off Babylon bar. but still not that good.

How many user's have logon's on this computer ? Someone must have ADMIN privileges !

trickie

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I am the only one my ex set it up but I cant find the place to change to admin. I went to change log on and it would not do it so i am not sure if its the wrong place that i am using. ????

Like Vista, the Windows 7 built-in Administrator account is disabled by default. However, when there are no other administrative accounts on the system the built-in Administrator account may become enabled. Go into Safe Mode and see if Administrator appears on the Welcome Screen. If it does, log in and create an extra administrative account for elevation and emergencies (see below for suggested user account setup).

If Administrator doesn't appear on the Welcome Screen, enable it as follows:

Method 1 - If you have a Windows 7 installation DVD (not a recovery DVD) you can boot the system with it. Select the default language, then choose "Repair your computer". Then select "Command Prompt". At the command prompt type:

net user administrator /active:yes [enter]

Remove the DVD, reboot the computer, and log into the built-in Administrator account.

If you don't have a Windows 7 installation DVD (only have a recovery disc), the computer mftr. may have given you the Windows 7 System Repair option (not a System Recovery!) on the diagnostic menu. This diagnostic menu is the same one where you can choose Safe Mode. To get to this menu, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the computer is starting up. Or you can make a bootable Repair DVD from the file at this link:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

trickie

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I have tried so many things now I might be doing more harm than good. I was told to get a program that is called speedupmycomputer I got this and it told me I have 300 odd problems and it got rid of some but it left 291 lol so not much help unless I pay for the whole program. Which at this time I don't have the funds to do. So again I still have this problem that my boot time is now 7mins to log in screen. Is there anyone out there who has been able to find out what it is that is coursing this trouble please.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

Well in this case if you've wasted more than a couple days on the issue I would recommend reformatting if you can since that would save the most time in the end unless you like troubleshooting till you find the culprit which is what I used to do until i found out that reformatting fixes 99% of the issues.

Now when i have issues i reformat from an image i made of my computer at base config and i have all my data saved on my other drive to expedite the process.

Not that i'm saying theres no solution but to me it sounds like you've tried a lot of things and wasted enough time so that reformatting might actually save you less of a headache to fix in the long run.

Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.

Whoever told you to get that application is an IDIOT ! - Those APPS are designed to show you a ton of errors (of which most do not even exist) to scare you into thinking you must run their software to solve all the issues. And, as you found out, some will not be taken care of, until you purchase their "Useless" product.

Computer infections have become so elaborate that they can hide, even in unallocated disk space on your hard drive. "Mightymax" has the right idea - Format the drive and start over ! Prior to doing that, I suggest you try this: Download Malwarebytes Antimalware from www.malwarebytes.org
You will be redirected to one of their "mirror" sites, like majorgeeks for the download, so do not be alarmed ! After updating their signature (virus) database, run the scan. Register yourself at the Malwarebytes forum and post your problem. They have Excellent Malware removal techs who will walk you thru resolving your issue (s).
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/

Solution

Shodhan

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Got all the above symptoms, to me it was the creative audio service that keeps on trying to start even after I've logged in(and, of course, no sound). When I disable Creative services, everything(except sound) works fine, meaning I don't get the "failed to connect Windows service...." error pop-up. I assume that in every case, unless malware is involved, there is some driver/service that freezes on loading/starting. In services list, the culprit may show as "starting" after logging in.
After repairing the Creative software, system is ok, again.

PC-Tech

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Had I seen this question a year ago, I would've been able to assist the user...

This Windows 7 "Expert" failed to notice that all this person needed to do to run chkdsk with elevated privileges was right click CMD and select Run As Administrator!

If this user was the only person with an account on the PC, she was likely already an admin, especially if she was able to install and uninstall those programs she mentioned at one point...

Anyhow, there are a couple solutions to try for one who receives this error; try each solution individually to see if it resolves the issue before moving on to the next:

Winsock Fix -
1. Click on Start button.
2. Type cmd in the Start Search text box.
3. Right click on cmd in the menu list and select Run As Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4. Type "netsh winsock reset" (without quotes) in the Command Prompt shell, and press Enter.
Restart the computer.

2) Delete all of the files in the following folder -
c:\windows\system32\winevt\Logs

If you find that you do not have access to all of the logs due to them being locked, you can try one of two things:
either rename the folder Logs.old, and upon restarting, Windows will create a new folder with fresh logs (not certain this option is successful, but it may be worth a shot)

or download a freeware tool called Unlocker Assistant, which will allow you access to all files and the ability to delete them.

Hirens Boot CD will also work - just download for free, boot to disc and browse to the path listed above. You can delete the log files that way as well.

DakoWebb

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

I had this problem then i did the cmd "chkdsk /r and it worked thank yo so much... maybe if you tried this it might work for you