  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 8, 2005 6:34:38 PM

I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)

I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
(and other newer games) Here's the catch:
I can't spend more than about $350.
can it be done? I've seen pretty cheap barebones systems on
newegg...does anyone have any experience with these? I think I can buy
a 64bit AMD barebones for around $140, and a 64 bit amd chip for around
$120, and cheap ram, HD etc...then I would need a good video card.
Can someone suggest a moderatly priced decent video card? I would like
to spend less than $60 on the card, but if I have to, I'll spend
more...

anyway, if someone could help me, that would be awesome.

Alex

More about : building computer hl2

June 8, 2005 9:37:12 PM

what do you guys think about this setup? slightly cheaper (just changed
the video card) and a bit more in my range...will any ATX mobo fit in
an ATX case?

Alex
June 9, 2005 1:23:51 AM

On 8 Jun 2005 14:34:38 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

>I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
>1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)
>
>I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
>to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
>(and other newer games) Here's the catch:
>I can't spend more than about $350.

That's too low if you want to run that generation of games. However:

- Some stores sell a $300 computer model. These are cheap and usually have
an onboard video card.
- Go to a place that sells second hand components. it can either be a
store, or an online site or newsgroup that trades in computer components.
(Global internet sites such as E-Bay are not recommended - the shipping
charges are generally high between two traders.)
- Install a $60 video card, such as an ATI 9000. Instant gaming machine.
- If your computer has 256MB ram, Install a 512. Usable gaming machine.
- After that, upgrade as necessairy.

One other thing you should know - Buying a $350 computer only saves money
upfront. If you need performance, you'll still be paying a bit more than
full price for a normal performace system as you have previous components
that you need to get rid of.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 2:07:55 AM

<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
> 1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)
>
> I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
> to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
> (and other newer games) Here's the catch:
> I can't spend more than about $350.
> can it be done? I've seen pretty cheap barebones systems on
> newegg...does anyone have any experience with these? I think I can buy
> a 64bit AMD barebones for around $140, and a 64 bit amd chip for around
> $120, and cheap ram, HD etc...then I would need a good video card.
> Can someone suggest a moderatly priced decent video card? I would like
> to spend less than $60 on the card, but if I have to, I'll spend
> more...
>
> anyway, if someone could help me, that would be awesome.
>
> Alex

There's no $60 video card that's going to run HL2 decently. For $350 lose
the 64 bit dreams. Off the top of my head I put together something like
this. Run the CPU at 200x12 for a cheap 3200+.
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareS...
June 9, 2005 2:18:05 AM

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:07:55 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

>There's no $60 video card that's going to run HL2 decently. For $350 lose
>the 64 bit dreams. Off the top of my head I put together something like
>this. Run the CPU at 200x12 for a cheap 3200+.
>http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareS...

Pretty good advice, although I would add another 512MB RAM (use the
saving from the video card rebate). Nothing wastes CPU/GPU power more
than not enough memory.
June 9, 2005 3:30:12 AM

> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:07:55 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
>
>>There's no $60 video card that's going to run HL2 decently. For $350 lose
>>the 64 bit dreams. Off the top of my head I put together something like
>>this. Run the CPU at 200x12 for a cheap 3200+.
>>http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareS...
>
> Pretty good advice, although I would add another 512MB RAM (use the
> saving from the video card rebate). Nothing wastes CPU/GPU power more
> than not enough memory.

Seconded on the RAM. I saw a real difference in games like Far Cry when I
went to a gig of 3200 from 512. Otherwise, for the money, KB has suggested
a decent rig for what you want.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 8:15:51 AM

imphasing wrote:
> forgot the link....heh.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareS...
shListTitle=gamer

Except for the fact that I have 1G of RAM, those parts would make a computer
that is more powerful than mine in every way so yea, it should definitely be
able to run hl2 just fine.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:01:00 AM

Nonymous wrote:
> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> > http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/shoppingca...
> > Another thing to consider (which is why my quote was a little short is
> > that your old PSU may not be good enough - you need a decent quality 300w
> > PSU for all of this.
>
> Plus the old PSU is probably lacking that extra little 12v plug that plugs
> into the MB to power the CPU. Most new MBs require that.

And remember to get enough connectors or splitters so that you've got a
spare one for the GPU (in the case of an ATI 9800 at least).
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:27:22 AM

<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
> 1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)
>
> I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
> to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
> (and other newer games) Here's the catch:
> I can't spend more than about $350.
> can it be done? I've seen pretty cheap barebones systems on
> newegg...does anyone have any experience with these? I think I can buy
> a 64bit AMD barebones for around $140, and a 64 bit amd chip for around
> $120, and cheap ram, HD etc...then I would need a good video card.
> Can someone suggest a moderatly priced decent video card? I would like
> to spend less than $60 on the card, but if I have to, I'll spend
> more...
>
> anyway, if someone could help me, that would be awesome.
>
> Alex

First, what components can you keep from your old system? Monitor, HD,
mouse, case, power supply....

2nd, is this for a laptop? Cause on your gamer wish list at Newegg, you
picked an AMD Mobile cpu. If this is for a desktop, recommend you look at
the AMD 2600+ Barton 333mhz instead. Plus its cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Finally, $350 (USD) might get you a decent cpu(&fan)/mb/RAM. But then the
hard part is getting a decent video card for the $ left over. You list the
Nvidia 5700 LE. Why this video card? The reason that I ask is that if
I'm thinking about getting a video card, I'll look at the benchmarks online,
find the frames per sec that I feel comfortable with, in the video rez that
I tend to play my games at. Then I'll use Newegg & www.pricewatch.com to
see what the video cards are going for.

If you can get by with your old HD, you might be able to use that extra $ to
spring for an ATI 9800Pro 128mb. This card can be found for about $130.
And it'll blow away the 5700LE.

Some more links for you:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/... (they're
over your budget though)

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index... list major AGP
video cards. Use this to compare the benchmarks of desired video card vs
the price.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041110/buyer...

http://www.anandtech.com/

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2278

good luck
OldDog
June 9, 2005 11:01:32 AM

Here's the deal with my old computer:

I'm 16, and my dad works at a company with lots of computer supplies,
and every once in a while, they throw bits of computers out. I was
lucky enough that they threw out a dell optiplex gx50, which is not
really a full size computer...it's just a bit smaller. It had the
1.3ghz celeron, no ram, no PSU, and no HD. so after much more
scrounging, I found a 64mb ram chip, and a 128mb ram chip, a 10gb hd
(really hard to have ANYTHING on a 10gig hd...) and several power
supplys. I put it all together, and got what I ahve now. then I finnaly
broke down and bought a cheap video card (radeon 7000, first computer
part I ever bought...) I also have another cumputer they threw out, and
it has an ATX case, and I've got several 250 watt psu's hanging around.
so I've basicaly got a case and an okay power supply...which is
probably not big enough. and I've got a little bit of ram...not much
though. I have like 5 64mb ram chips, but that's no good if it only has
2 slots.

anyway, I'll look at video card benchmarks, and see what might fit my
style/budget.

Thanks,
Alex
June 9, 2005 11:04:07 AM

oh, my dad's company also threw out a perfectly good 20 inch moniter.
(score!!) so a moniter I have, and a good one at that.
June 9, 2005 11:54:00 AM

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/shoppingca...
this will do okay. The 9600pro is better than the 5700le particularly for
HL2 and D3D games. The Abit board is nice but the Epox a little cheaper and
theyre a reliable make. You basically need a 2ghz CPU and 512mb RAM as
minimum - 1gb is sweet for HL2, Far Cry and Doom 3. If you stick at 512 RAM
then put the newer 7200rpm HDD as master and your older HDD as slave and
format the slave then put the swapfile on it. It'll smooth out the HDD
accessing. Then put the remainder of your money into a 9600pro or if you can
scrape a little more together a 9800. Another thing to consider (which is
why my quote was a little short is that your old PSU may not be good
enough - you need a decent quality 300w PSU for all of this.
June 9, 2005 11:54:01 AM

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/shoppingca...
> Another thing to consider (which is why my quote was a little short is
> that your old PSU may not be good enough - you need a decent quality 300w
> PSU for all of this.

Plus the old PSU is probably lacking that extra little 12v plug that plugs
into the MB to power the CPU. Most new MBs require that.
June 9, 2005 12:39:54 PM

what do you guys think of the mobo/proscessor? I added the 6600GT, and
it came out to $370, which is doable for me. any ATX motherboard will
fit in an ATX case, right? will that video card require another plug on
the power supply?

Alex
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:49:33 PM

imphasing@gmail.com wrote:
> what do you guys think of the mobo/proscessor?
Gigabyte's a "safe" brand. You shouldn't have any problems there.

> I added the 6600GT, and
> it came out to $370, which is doable for me. any ATX motherboard will
> fit in an ATX case, right?
Yes.

> will that video card require another plug on
> the power supply?
Pass.
June 9, 2005 1:13:49 PM

I wouldn't be using the case from my dell. I'm sertain it isn't ATX.
I've got a generic ATX case from another computer. not like I want this
to win beauty contests...
June 9, 2005 1:16:38 PM

oh, I've got a HIPRO 235 watt psu with more than enough plugs to go
around, and an "ATNG" 250 watt with 4 standard plugs, and one for the
floppy. (plus the one that plugs into the mobo)
June 9, 2005 1:37:20 PM

hehehe...is there any danger of hurting something expensive? this case
already has an ATX mobo in it, so it obviously can hold one...can you
"blow" some part up by using an inadequet PSU?

Alex
June 9, 2005 6:59:53 PM

On 9 Jun 2005 07:36:54 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

>what do you guys think? is that a solid video card?

It would work, but is probably half the power of the 6600GT originally
suggested. The extra $50 would be well spent IMO.
June 9, 2005 7:54:22 PM

On 9 Jun 2005 08:39:54 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

>what do you guys think of the mobo/proscessor? I added the 6600GT, and
>it came out to $370, which is doable for me. any ATX motherboard will
>fit in an ATX case, right?

You should check the specs to confirm it, Dell machines aren't known
for their adherence to standards.

> will that video card require another plug on
>the power supply?

Almost definitely, but a splitter will suffice if the PSU is up to the
job (which I have my doubts about from what you have said so far).
June 9, 2005 8:21:27 PM

> On 9 Jun 2005 07:36:54 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>what do you guys think? is that a solid video card?
>
> It would work, but is probably half the power of the 6600GT originally
> suggested. The extra $50 would be well spent IMO.

Yeah - 128bit (not MB) - it's a crippled 9800Pro. As Andrew said try and
raise the other $50.
June 9, 2005 8:34:11 PM

On 9 Jun 2005 09:16:38 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

>oh, I've got a HIPRO 235 watt psu with more than enough plugs to go
>around, and an "ATNG" 250 watt with 4 standard plugs, and one for the
>floppy. (plus the one that plugs into the mobo)

This "project" is starting to scare me, I am glad I am a safe distance
(another continent) away! ;-)
June 9, 2005 11:01:28 PM

what do you guys think of the radeon 9600PRO? I've heard some good
things about it...
June 9, 2005 11:02:37 PM

I would upgrade my current comp, but it's got no AGP slot, and only 2
pci slots. not a very good computer for much. I need a new computer for
not just gaming, but graphics, browsing, etc. do you think a 2.0ghz
processor, 512 ram, and a radeon 9600pro would run half-life 2 ok? the
9600pro is a lot cheaper than the 6600GT, but can afford the 6600gt. if
I went with the 9600pro, I could get maybe a 2.4ghz proscessor....

Alex
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:07:17 AM

Consider putting a decent graphics card into the current machine,,,,RADEON
9600 XT or Pro...
the Radeon 9800 would (perhaps) give no better than the 9600 with your
processor...
More memory to....then with the games settings at fairly low and 800x600
res. I bet HalfLife 2 and DOOM3 would be ok
Luv mouse
@@@@@
June 10, 2005 10:51:56 AM

On 9 Jun 2005 19:02:37 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

>I would upgrade my current comp, but it's got no AGP slot, and only 2
>pci slots. not a very good computer for much. I need a new computer for
>not just gaming, but graphics, browsing, etc. do you think a 2.0ghz
>processor, 512 ram, and a radeon 9600pro would run half-life 2 ok? the
>9600pro is a lot cheaper than the 6600GT, but can afford the 6600gt. if
>I went with the 9600pro, I could get maybe a 2.4ghz proscessor....

Bear in mind with the AMD CPU's you look at the name rather than the
raw clock speed, so the $75.99 XP2600+ will run like a 2.6ghz Intel
machine and will be more than adequate for your task even though it
"only" runs at 1.9Ghz.

The 9600Pro would be fine too, but it is very noticeably slower than a
6600GT. I would recommend 1GB system of memory.
June 13, 2005 9:57:14 PM

Hi,

In article <1118335040.496772.225680@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
#hehehe...is there any danger of hurting something expensive? this case
#already has an ATX mobo in it, so it obviously can hold one...can you
#"blow" some part up by using an inadequet PSU?

Certain year range Dells had power supplies that had standard connectors
but non-standard pinouts. The result of plugging one into a non-standard
MB was either a blown power supply or a blown MB, or both.

I forget the year range but it corresponds with PII/PIII era but might
include your P5=based Celeron. If you've already booted it OK then you
don't have the problem.

Me, I had the problem. :(  It's been a few years ago, but...

I lost a Dell MB that was going to be a second machine, by plugging it
into a standard power supply. My buddy, who donated it to me as thanks
for helping him upgrade from the Dell MB to an AMD XP, lost his Power
Supply when he hooked it up to the new MB.

I was able to reuse the CPU and the RAM.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
June 13, 2005 10:04:56 PM

Hi,

#9600 XT or Pro...

Decent? ???

#the Radeon 9800 would (perhaps) give no better than the 9600 with your
#processor...

Sure it would. It just wouldn't reach it's full potential, that's all.

With newegg.com selling Jetway 128MB/256bit 9800 Pro's today for $120,
it's hard to justify recommending a 9600XT for $96. That's twice the
pipes and twice the memory bandwidth. The 9600Pro is just too slow to
consider.

#More memory to....then with the games settings at fairly low and 800x600
#res. I bet HalfLife 2 and DOOM3 would be ok

Yup. Both are highly scalable, as long as you can live without some of
the eye candy settings.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
June 15, 2005 4:49:30 PM

here's what I've finaly settled on:

ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
Drive
768 MB PC3200 ram
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...
is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?

Thanks,
Alex
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:03:48 AM

x-no-archive: yes

imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

> here's what I've finaly settled on:
>
> ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
> Motherboard
> Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 768 MB PC3200 ram
> AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
> AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

congratulations!
and this should be made an example to all those scum consolists
that come to this group saying a full pc costs more than $3000
you assembled a GREAT configuration a little above $350 bucks
that's awesome!
i'll bookmark this post and show it every time a scum consolist
comes to this group

now what i think its insane is you going to play hl2 in it
you assembled your pc trying to make it with the lowest price
possible and you have accomplish that but you are now going
to play in it the MOST EXPENSIVE PC GAME EVER RELEASED!
it will ruin all your hard work!
i'm sorry it doesn't make any sense at all
you created one of the lowest price pc configuration to play
the most expensive pc game in the market? that's a complete
waste! so you save in hardware to give it to a single pc game!
hl2 is very expensive not only cause it has a high price at
start but specially cause it features lots of hidden costs
now that you have a great pc play in it also great pc games
don't spoil everything by INFECTING your great pc with steam!
maintain your computer steam free!
and there are so many pc game titles released worthy to be
played and bought in your pc
have you bought the big 2004 titles?
now they have lower prices so it would be perfect for your pc
.. farcry
.. painkiller
.. ut2004
.. riddick
.. doom3
.. tribes vengeance
.. bloodlines
and then there are the great titles already released in 2005
some of them with already low prices so perfect to buy
.. the house of the dead iii
.. star wars republic commando
.. brothers in arms: road to hill 30
.. gotcha
.. project: snowblind
.. swat 4
.. doom 3: resurrection of evil
.. close combat: first to fight
.. psychotoxic
.. delta force xtreme
.. boiling point road to hell
.. pariah
.. area 51
.. grand theft auto san andreas
.. battlefield 2
so as you see so many great titles to choose from
don't buy hl2 and be forced to use steam and infect your new
pc with it
stay clean! stay away from steam! stay steam free!
you choose to assemble a pc which means you are someone that
like freedom and choice and steam is the complete opposite!
with steam you don't have any freedom or choice!
be consistent in software as you've been in hardware
continue with the path of freedom and choice say no to steam!

ps: you need os but you can find xp home oem enough although
it doesn't cost what it should and microsoft is still ripping
us off unfortunately... but its a bad in pc games we have to
live with... sad but very difficult to run away from it

pss: sorry i don't know why but my english today is coming out
much worse than it used to

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP...I already have XP pro, so I
figured I might as well do that. (I could use a sempron I guess, but
that's like having a porsche, and putting a yugo engine in it...)
the only harddrive I have now, is 9 gigs...(ouch) so I seriously need a
new harddrive. what is there a socket A proscessor that would be better
than this one? I know I can overclock this one to 3000+ speeds, with a
good cooling system...
my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.

btw, I'm not really building this just to play hl2...I want to be able
to play hl2, but I need it as an all around computer too. I just want
to be able to play most new games that come out (for a while at
least...)
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:34:40 PM

Hi,

In article <1118864969.977888.164160@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
#here's what I've finaly settled on:

#ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
#Motherboard
#AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor

I was going to suggest Socket 939, but for $58 + $80 + shipping, you
can't beat that price/performance.

#Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
#Drive

Frankly if you already have a 20GB or larger hard disk, you could
tolerate longer load times and put the money towards more processor.
Once you're loaded and in the game, the hard disk doesn't make any
difference.

#768 MB PC3200 ram

OK I guess if you've already got the ram. You can go dual-channel if you
get an even amount of DDR RAM (2x256MB or 2x512MB). You can always
change this easily later.

#AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

Cool. It's a shame no one offers PCI-E motherboards for Socket 462. Then
you could pay less for the 6600GT non-AGP, even if you paid more for the
MB you'd be more future-proof. (haha like anyone is future-proof).

#it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
#HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
#games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...

A friend just completed HL2 for the second time on a 2400+/6600GT and
reported it ran great with lots of video options set. You should be good
to go.

#is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?

No, unless you go for a 10,000 RPM drive. Your load times will be
slightly decreased, but I don't know if there's really much of a
difference between waiting 52 seconds versus 60. Small reads and writes
will be essentially the same, limited by the seek time and the platter
RPM. On the other hand, if you have SATA, no point in buying PATA
anymore.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
June 16, 2005 7:53:20 PM

On 16 Jun 2005 08:31:32 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

>I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
>expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP

No, the 64bit chips run 32bit XP just fine.

>my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
>well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.

It isn't worth skimping on the memory, get 1GB.
June 16, 2005 8:16:50 PM

I'd say you've got a good rig there -- especially your video card. It
would've been better if you had purchased one of the Mobile Athlons. That's
what my brother and I have powering our rigs. They overclock like mad. I've
got mine at 2592 and he's got his at 2350.
You've got to have good cooling though (translation and expensive heatsink
and fan).

I had no problems running Half Life 2 but I've only got a 9800 Pro, your
vid-card is probably better than that.

--
there is no .sig
> here's what I've finaly settled on:
>
> ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
> Motherboard
> Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
> Drive
> 768 MB PC3200 ram
> AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
> AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
>
> it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
> HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
> games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...
> is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:19:08 PM

The "good cooling system" you would need would be a Thermalright SLK900u or
SP97 with a Vantec Tornado 92mm fan. That would guarantee you the best
overclock out of your Athlon (but you should still get a Mobile Athlon not a
standard). The Mobile Athlons actually core improvements (chiefly in the TLB
units) over the standard Athlons.

--
there is no .sig
>I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
> expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP...I already have XP pro, so I
> figured I might as well do that. (I could use a sempron I guess, but
> that's like having a porsche, and putting a yugo engine in it...)
> the only harddrive I have now, is 9 gigs...(ouch) so I seriously need a
> new harddrive. what is there a socket A proscessor that would be better
> than this one? I know I can overclock this one to 3000+ speeds, with a
> good cooling system...
> my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
> well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.
>
> btw, I'm not really building this just to play hl2...I want to be able
> to play hl2, but I need it as an all around computer too. I just want
> to be able to play most new games that come out (for a while at
> least...)

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:49:52 PM

Hi,

In article <1118935892.778566.64350@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
#I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
#expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP...

??? No you don't. I'm running XP just fine in my 939. Besides MS has a
temporary free trade-up offer to XP64, which I'm not using, since I'm
not experimenting with that particular PC.

Nevertheless, if you can't swing it, you can't swing it.

#I already have XP pro, so I
#figured I might as well do that. (I could use a sempron I guess, but
#that's like having a porsche, and putting a yugo engine in it...)
#the only harddrive I have now, is 9 gigs...(ouch) so I seriously need a
#new harddrive. what is there a socket A proscessor that would be better
#than this one? I know I can overclock this one to 3000+ speeds, with a
#good cooling system...

You've picked a good processor. The Semprons ratings are all against
Celerons, so you'll find a 2600+ XP faster than a Sempron 2600+.

#my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
#well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.

Yes, please do.

#btw, I'm not really building this just to play hl2...I want to be able
#to play hl2, but I need it as an all around computer too. I just want
#to be able to play most new games that come out (for a while at
#least...)

Sure, sure, right. :)

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
June 21, 2005 7:54:16 AM

What are the before and after benchmarks for your Mobile Athlons? A friend
of mine over overclocked his cpu and video card. He only got about a 3fps
improvement in Call of Duty.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'd say you've got a good rig there -- especially your video card. It
> would've been better if you had purchased one of the Mobile Athlons.
> That's what my brother and I have powering our rigs. They overclock like
> mad. I've got mine at 2592 and he's got his at 2350.
> You've got to have good cooling though (translation and expensive heatsink
> and fan).
>
> I had no problems running Half Life 2 but I've only got a 9800 Pro, your
> vid-card is probably better than that.
>
> --
> there is no .sig
> <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> here's what I've finaly settled on:
>>
>> ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
>> Motherboard
>> Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
>> Drive
>> 768 MB PC3200 ram
>> AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
>> AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
>>
>> it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
>> HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
>> games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...
>> is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex

June 21, 2005 11:20:17 AM

I've heard people say they got a 600mhz increase on their mobile athlon
2600. that's would make it about a 3500+ or something. (normaly it's at
2.0ghz, and oc'd to 2.6ghz)
June 21, 2005 3:22:14 PM

I finaly ordered my new computer. :)

I got:

xfx 6600GT (on sale on newegg for $150! normaly something like $180)
abit nf7-s2 mobo
1 gig corsair ram
80 gig SATA hd
ATHLON XP mobile 2600+
rosewell 450 watt PSU

from what I know, a normal motherboard gives 1.85V to the proscessor,
right? this mobile athlon runs at 1.45v, so it should overclock itself
when I plug it in, correct? it's normaly 2.0ghz, and it should make it
like 2.4ghz or some such...am I way off base about that?

Alex
June 21, 2005 9:05:46 PM

I'm a bit worried about my SATA drive...can I just hook my SATA cables
up to the drive, and install windows on to it? or is SATA designed to
be like a secondary drive, and I have to have an IDE HD to install
windoze to?

??

Alex
June 21, 2005 10:46:40 PM

oh, ok. thanks. I've seen that option before, but just ignored it
because I had no idea what SATA was at the time...

thanks
Alex
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:07:47 AM

> I've heard people say they got a 600mhz increase on their mobile athlon
> 2600. that's would make it about a 3500+ or something. (normaly it's at
> 2.0ghz, and oc'd to 2.6ghz)

Makes sense, my 1.8 (2400+) does 2.4. As do most...
June 22, 2005 6:39:28 AM

> I'm a bit worried about my SATA drive...can I just hook my SATA cables
> up to the drive, and install windows on to it? or is SATA designed to
> be like a secondary drive, and I have to have an IDE HD to install
> windoze to?
>
> ??
>
> Alex

Yes you can just hook up the cables and install windows *but*... when
installing Windows (I'm presuming XP) you will see an option at the bottom
of the screen for installing drivers for the SATA drive - watch carefully
for it and press the necessary key (F6 IIRC) and follow the instructions
otherwise your SATA wont work.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 3:56:54 PM

<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm a bit worried about my SATA drive...can I just hook my SATA cables
> up to the drive, and install windows on to it? or is SATA designed to
> be like a secondary drive, and I have to have an IDE HD to install
> windoze to?

SATA is just a different type of connection to the traditional IDE flat
ribbon. However, depending on which version of Windows you're using, you
will probably have to have the SATA drivers handy on a floppy disk (you did
remember to buy a floppy drive?) - at the very beginning of the XP install,
it flashes a message saying something like "Hit F6 if you need to install
mass-storage drivers", which is your cue to install the SATA drivers. After
that, the Windows setup will recognise the drive and allow you to format
and install.

June 22, 2005 5:25:21 PM

I still havn't ordered my proc yet, cause I wanted to see if it was a
mistake. I already got this motherboard, and it look like people say
it's fine to overclock with if you're not trying to get a whole lot
more mhz. I think I'll either get a 2600+, or a 2800+, and just raise
the fsb a little...they're both at 166, so I can raise it to 180 maybe
and get around 2.3ghz...I read the mobo manual, and you can only adjust
the fsb, and the vcore. since I'm getting pc400 ram, oc'ing the fsb
should'nt be a problem.

If I have pc400 ram, and the proc is running with a 333mhz fsb, is the
ram only running at pc333 speeds? is the ram speed the same as the fsb
speed?
If I simply boosted the fsb up to 200mhz (the max my mobo will take is
400mhz fsb) then I would be maximizing the ram speed, right? that would
make the 2800+ run at 2.5ghz I think....can anyone reccomend a good air
cooler for running like that? maybe a volcano 12 or something?

Thanks,
Alex
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:04:28 PM

In article <1119378134.087567.257290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
#I finaly ordered my new computer. :)

Congrats!

#xfx 6600GT (on sale on newegg for $150! normaly something like $180)

Great deal. Great card. Bad fan. You'll need to replace the fan on that,
after a few months. I did. Everyone else did to. There are two versions
of the XFX fan, by the way. Both go bad.

#abit nf7-s2 mobo
#1 gig corsair ram
#80 gig SATA hd
#ATHLON XP mobile 2600+
#rosewell 450 watt PSU

#from what I know, a normal motherboard gives 1.85V to the proscessor,
#right? this mobile athlon runs at 1.45v, so it should overclock itself
#when I plug it in, correct?

No, it should fry when you plug it in. Well, it may survive OK but
you're already off to a strange start, with a MB and a CPU that it
doesn't support, and no backup CPU to drop in, in case you need to
set CMOS BIOS settings to get the strange CPU to work.

Overclocking is done by upping FSB speed, bus and/or ram timings. Upping
voltage is only done to increase stability after the previous items
where upped.

You might be able to adjust the voltage with a standard XP cpu, and then
reboot with a Mobile, but if you lose CMOS settings it might go back to
defaults and then kill your Mobile.

Here is what your new MB supports without tweaks:

http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/NF7-S2_Series/index....

here's some discussion. Apparently Abit really confused the issue
by making several very different same-named motherboards. Seems the
v2 version is very different.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/archive/index.php/t-18148.h...

# it's normaly 2.0ghz, and it should make it
#like 2.4ghz or some such...am I way off base about that?

Yeah. Off base. Adjusting voltage does nothing for actual clock speed.

You combination might work OK, but you're probably looking at some BIOS
fiddling to get it to run at the right speed and voltage.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
June 23, 2005 7:56:04 PM

Hi,

In article <1119471921.630129.92730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
#If I have pc400 ram, and the proc is running with a 333mhz fsb, is the
#ram only running at pc333 speeds? is the ram speed the same as the fsb
#speed?

MOST (not all) modern MB's decouple FSB from RAM speed. Some people keep
them in lock-step sync in order to get the benefits of running them at
the same speed; others run async in order to run each as fast as
possible.

Which provides the better overclock depends on which motherboard you are
talking about, also the RAM and CPU abilities too.

Even if the RAM is not overclockable on your MB, there still should be a
BIOS option to run it at DDR333 versus DDR400 speeds. Try both;
sometimes the slower speed works better, probably because it matches the
FSB speed better.

Also, overclocking sometimes breaks Dual Channel, but may provide more
performance anyway; or not; gotta test and find out.

I use Sandra's memory throughput test to find out.

#If I simply boosted the fsb up to 200mhz (the max my mobo will take is
#400mhz fsb) then I would be maximizing the ram speed, right?

Maybe but only if memory speed is the same.

#that would
#make the 2800+ run at 2.5ghz I think....can anyone reccomend a good air
#cooler for running like that? maybe a volcano 12 or something?

I've been more interested in "going quiet" lately, so I don't have a good
recommendation.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
July 16, 2005 8:28:41 AM

I couldn't get 600 Mhz out of my mobile athlons. Maybe with excellent
cooling you can but I couldn't. I can't raise the Vcore enough to get it
stable at 2600+ because of overheating. The max overclock I can get out of
my mobile athlons is 2562 @ 1.93V Vcore. Still-in-all that's a 500Mhz
overclock from stock.

--
there is no .sig
<imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've heard people say they got a 600mhz increase on their mobile athlon
> 2600. that's would make it about a 3500+ or something. (normaly it's at
> 2.0ghz, and oc'd to 2.6ghz)

      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest