Building a computer for HL2

I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)

I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
(and other newer games) Here's the catch:
I can't spend more than about $350.
can it be done? I've seen pretty cheap barebones systems on
newegg...does anyone have any experience with these? I think I can buy
a 64bit AMD barebones for around $140, and a 64 bit amd chip for around
$120, and cheap ram, HD etc...then I would need a good video card.
Can someone suggest a moderatly priced decent video card? I would like
to spend less than $60 on the card, but if I have to, I'll spend
more...

anyway, if someone could help me, that would be awesome.

Alex
50 answers Last reply
More about building computer

    what do you guys think about this setup? slightly cheaper (just changed
    the video card) and a bit more in my range...will any ATX mobo fit in
    an ATX case?

    Alex

    forgot the link....heh.

    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1536085&WishListTitle=gamer

    On 8 Jun 2005 14:34:38 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

    >I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
    >1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)
    >
    >I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
    >to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
    >(and other newer games) Here's the catch:
    >I can't spend more than about $350.

    That's too low if you want to run that generation of games. However:

    - Some stores sell a $300 computer model. These are cheap and usually have
    an onboard video card.
    - Go to a place that sells second hand components. it can either be a
    store, or an online site or newsgroup that trades in computer components.
    (Global internet sites such as E-Bay are not recommended - the shipping
    charges are generally high between two traders.)
    - Install a $60 video card, such as an ATI 9000. Instant gaming machine.
    - If your computer has 256MB ram, Install a 512. Usable gaming machine.
    - After that, upgrade as necessairy.

    One other thing you should know - Buying a $350 computer only saves money
    upfront. If you need performance, you'll still be paying a bit more than
    full price for a normal performace system as you have previous components
    that you need to get rid of.

    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
    > 1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)
    >
    > I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
    > to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
    > (and other newer games) Here's the catch:
    > I can't spend more than about $350.
    > can it be done? I've seen pretty cheap barebones systems on
    > newegg...does anyone have any experience with these? I think I can buy
    > a 64bit AMD barebones for around $140, and a 64 bit amd chip for around
    > $120, and cheap ram, HD etc...then I would need a good video card.
    > Can someone suggest a moderatly priced decent video card? I would like
    > to spend less than $60 on the card, but if I have to, I'll spend
    > more...
    >
    > anyway, if someone could help me, that would be awesome.
    >
    > Alex

    There's no $60 video card that's going to run HL2 decently. For $350 lose
    the 64 bit dreams. Off the top of my head I put together something like
    this. Run the CPU at 200x12 for a cheap 3200+.
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1535899&WishListTitle=%24350

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:07:55 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:

    >There's no $60 video card that's going to run HL2 decently. For $350 lose
    >the 64 bit dreams. Off the top of my head I put together something like
    >this. Run the CPU at 200x12 for a cheap 3200+.
    >http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1535899&WishListTitle=%24350

    Pretty good advice, although I would add another 512MB RAM (use the
    saving from the video card rebate). Nothing wastes CPU/GPU power more
    than not enough memory.

    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:07:55 GMT, "Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote:
    >
    >>There's no $60 video card that's going to run HL2 decently. For $350 lose
    >>the 64 bit dreams. Off the top of my head I put together something like
    >>this. Run the CPU at 200x12 for a cheap 3200+.
    >>http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1535899&WishListTitle=%24350
    >
    > Pretty good advice, although I would add another 512MB RAM (use the
    > saving from the video card rebate). Nothing wastes CPU/GPU power more
    > than not enough memory.

    Seconded on the RAM. I saw a real difference in games like Far Cry when I
    went to a gig of 3200 from 512. Otherwise, for the money, KB has suggested
    a decent rig for what you want.

    imphasing wrote:
    > forgot the link....heh.

    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1536085&Wi
    shListTitle=gamer

    Except for the fact that I have 1G of RAM, those parts would make a computer
    that is more powerful than mine in every way so yea, it should definitely be
    able to run hl2 just fine.

    Nonymous wrote:
    > "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
    > > http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/shoppingcart.asp?submit=view
    > > Another thing to consider (which is why my quote was a little short is
    > > that your old PSU may not be good enough - you need a decent quality 300w
    > > PSU for all of this.
    >
    > Plus the old PSU is probably lacking that extra little 12v plug that plugs
    > into the MB to power the CPU. Most new MBs require that.

    And remember to get enough connectors or splitters so that you've got a
    spare one for the GPU (in the case of an ATI 9800 at least).

    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm in desperate need of a new computer (the one I'm running is a
    > 1.3ghz celeron, 192 ram, radeon 7000 PCI video)
    >
    > I can play half-life 1 just fine, but that's getting old. I would like
    > to save a LOT of money, and try to build a computer so I can play HL2
    > (and other newer games) Here's the catch:
    > I can't spend more than about $350.
    > can it be done? I've seen pretty cheap barebones systems on
    > newegg...does anyone have any experience with these? I think I can buy
    > a 64bit AMD barebones for around $140, and a 64 bit amd chip for around
    > $120, and cheap ram, HD etc...then I would need a good video card.
    > Can someone suggest a moderatly priced decent video card? I would like
    > to spend less than $60 on the card, but if I have to, I'll spend
    > more...
    >
    > anyway, if someone could help me, that would be awesome.
    >
    > Alex

    First, what components can you keep from your old system? Monitor, HD,
    mouse, case, power supply....

    2nd, is this for a laptop? Cause on your gamer wish list at Newegg, you
    picked an AMD Mobile cpu. If this is for a desktop, recommend you look at
    the AMD 2600+ Barton 333mhz instead. Plus its cheaper.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103417

    Finally, $350 (USD) might get you a decent cpu(&fan)/mb/RAM. But then the
    hard part is getting a decent video card for the $ left over. You list the
    Nvidia 5700 LE. Why this video card? The reason that I ask is that if
    I'm thinking about getting a video card, I'll look at the benchmarks online,
    find the frames per sec that I feel comfortable with, in the video rez that
    I tend to play my games at. Then I'll use Newegg & www.pricewatch.com to
    see what the video cards are going for.

    If you can get by with your old HD, you might be able to use that extra $ to
    spring for an ATI 9800Pro 128mb. This card can be found for about $130.
    And it'll blow away the 5700LE.

    Some more links for you:

    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3501646 (they're
    over your budget though)

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html list major AGP
    video cards. Use this to compare the benchmarks of desired video card vs
    the price.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041110/buyers_guide-19.html

    http://www.anandtech.com/

    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2278

    good luck
    OldDog

    Here's the deal with my old computer:

    I'm 16, and my dad works at a company with lots of computer supplies,
    and every once in a while, they throw bits of computers out. I was
    lucky enough that they threw out a dell optiplex gx50, which is not
    really a full size computer...it's just a bit smaller. It had the
    1.3ghz celeron, no ram, no PSU, and no HD. so after much more
    scrounging, I found a 64mb ram chip, and a 128mb ram chip, a 10gb hd
    (really hard to have ANYTHING on a 10gig hd...) and several power
    supplys. I put it all together, and got what I ahve now. then I finnaly
    broke down and bought a cheap video card (radeon 7000, first computer
    part I ever bought...) I also have another cumputer they threw out, and
    it has an ATX case, and I've got several 250 watt psu's hanging around.
    so I've basicaly got a case and an okay power supply...which is
    probably not big enough. and I've got a little bit of ram...not much
    though. I have like 5 64mb ram chips, but that's no good if it only has
    2 slots.

    anyway, I'll look at video card benchmarks, and see what might fit my
    style/budget.

    Thanks,
    Alex

    oh, my dad's company also threw out a perfectly good 20 inch moniter.
    (score!!) so a moniter I have, and a good one at that.

    Here's another setup that I did after looking at benchmarking speeds
    for hl2.

    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/WishShareShow.asp?ID=1536758&WishListTitle=coolshizz

    what do you guys think? is that a solid video card?

    Thanks,
    Alex

    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/shoppingcart.asp?submit=view
    this will do okay. The 9600pro is better than the 5700le particularly for
    HL2 and D3D games. The Abit board is nice but the Epox a little cheaper and
    theyre a reliable make. You basically need a 2ghz CPU and 512mb RAM as
    minimum - 1gb is sweet for HL2, Far Cry and Doom 3. If you stick at 512 RAM
    then put the newer 7200rpm HDD as master and your older HDD as slave and
    format the slave then put the swapfile on it. It'll smooth out the HDD
    accessing. Then put the remainder of your money into a 9600pro or if you can
    scrape a little more together a 9800. Another thing to consider (which is
    why my quote was a little short is that your old PSU may not be good
    enough - you need a decent quality 300w PSU for all of this.

    "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
    > http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/shoppingcart.asp?submit=view
    > Another thing to consider (which is why my quote was a little short is
    > that your old PSU may not be good enough - you need a decent quality 300w
    > PSU for all of this.

    Plus the old PSU is probably lacking that extra little 12v plug that plugs
    into the MB to power the CPU. Most new MBs require that.

    what do you guys think of the mobo/proscessor? I added the 6600GT, and
    it came out to $370, which is doable for me. any ATX motherboard will
    fit in an ATX case, right? will that video card require another plug on
    the power supply?

    Alex

    imphasing@gmail.com wrote:
    > what do you guys think of the mobo/proscessor?
    Gigabyte's a "safe" brand. You shouldn't have any problems there.

    > I added the 6600GT, and
    > it came out to $370, which is doable for me. any ATX motherboard will
    > fit in an ATX case, right?
    Yes.

    > will that video card require another plug on
    > the power supply?
    Pass.

    I wouldn't be using the case from my dell. I'm sertain it isn't ATX.
    I've got a generic ATX case from another computer. not like I want this
    to win beauty contests...
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    oh, I've got a HIPRO 235 watt psu with more than enough plugs to go
    around, and an "ATNG" 250 watt with 4 standard plugs, and one for the
    floppy. (plus the one that plugs into the mobo)
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    hehehe...is there any danger of hurting something expensive? this case
    already has an ATX mobo in it, so it obviously can hold one...can you
    "blow" some part up by using an inadequet PSU?

    Alex
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 9 Jun 2005 07:36:54 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

    >what do you guys think? is that a solid video card?

    It would work, but is probably half the power of the 6600GT originally
    suggested. The extra $50 would be well spent IMO.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 9 Jun 2005 08:39:54 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

    >what do you guys think of the mobo/proscessor? I added the 6600GT, and
    >it came out to $370, which is doable for me. any ATX motherboard will
    >fit in an ATX case, right?

    You should check the specs to confirm it, Dell machines aren't known
    for their adherence to standards.

    > will that video card require another plug on
    >the power supply?

    Almost definitely, but a splitter will suffice if the PSU is up to the
    job (which I have my doubts about from what you have said so far).
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On 9 Jun 2005 07:36:54 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>what do you guys think? is that a solid video card?
    >
    > It would work, but is probably half the power of the 6600GT originally
    > suggested. The extra $50 would be well spent IMO.

    Yeah - 128bit (not MB) - it's a crippled 9800Pro. As Andrew said try and
    raise the other $50.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 9 Jun 2005 09:16:38 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

    >oh, I've got a HIPRO 235 watt psu with more than enough plugs to go
    >around, and an "ATNG" 250 watt with 4 standard plugs, and one for the
    >floppy. (plus the one that plugs into the mobo)

    This "project" is starting to scare me, I am glad I am a safe distance
    (another continent) away! ;-)
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    what do you guys think of the radeon 9600PRO? I've heard some good
    things about it...
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I would upgrade my current comp, but it's got no AGP slot, and only 2
    pci slots. not a very good computer for much. I need a new computer for
    not just gaming, but graphics, browsing, etc. do you think a 2.0ghz
    processor, 512 ram, and a radeon 9600pro would run half-life 2 ok? the
    9600pro is a lot cheaper than the 6600GT, but can afford the 6600gt. if
    I went with the 9600pro, I could get maybe a 2.4ghz proscessor....

    Alex
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Consider putting a decent graphics card into the current machine,,,,RADEON
    9600 XT or Pro...
    the Radeon 9800 would (perhaps) give no better than the 9600 with your
    processor...
    More memory to....then with the games settings at fairly low and 800x600
    res. I bet HalfLife 2 and DOOM3 would be ok
    Luv mouse
    @@@@@
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 9 Jun 2005 19:02:37 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

    >I would upgrade my current comp, but it's got no AGP slot, and only 2
    >pci slots. not a very good computer for much. I need a new computer for
    >not just gaming, but graphics, browsing, etc. do you think a 2.0ghz
    >processor, 512 ram, and a radeon 9600pro would run half-life 2 ok? the
    >9600pro is a lot cheaper than the 6600GT, but can afford the 6600gt. if
    >I went with the 9600pro, I could get maybe a 2.4ghz proscessor....

    Bear in mind with the AMD CPU's you look at the name rather than the
    raw clock speed, so the $75.99 XP2600+ will run like a 2.6ghz Intel
    machine and will be more than adequate for your task even though it
    "only" runs at 1.9Ghz.

    The 9600Pro would be fine too, but it is very noticeably slower than a
    6600GT. I would recommend 1GB system of memory.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    In article <1118335040.496772.225680@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
    #hehehe...is there any danger of hurting something expensive? this case
    #already has an ATX mobo in it, so it obviously can hold one...can you
    #"blow" some part up by using an inadequet PSU?

    Certain year range Dells had power supplies that had standard connectors
    but non-standard pinouts. The result of plugging one into a non-standard
    MB was either a blown power supply or a blown MB, or both.

    I forget the year range but it corresponds with PII/PIII era but might
    include your P5=based Celeron. If you've already booted it OK then you
    don't have the problem.

    Me, I had the problem. :( It's been a few years ago, but...

    I lost a Dell MB that was going to be a second machine, by plugging it
    into a standard power supply. My buddy, who donated it to me as thanks
    for helping him upgrade from the Dell MB to an AMD XP, lost his Power
    Supply when he hooked it up to the new MB.

    I was able to reuse the CPU and the RAM.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    #9600 XT or Pro...

    Decent? ???

    #the Radeon 9800 would (perhaps) give no better than the 9600 with your
    #processor...

    Sure it would. It just wouldn't reach it's full potential, that's all.

    With newegg.com selling Jetway 128MB/256bit 9800 Pro's today for $120,
    it's hard to justify recommending a 9600XT for $96. That's twice the
    pipes and twice the memory bandwidth. The 9600Pro is just too slow to
    consider.

    #More memory to....then with the games settings at fairly low and 800x600
    #res. I bet HalfLife 2 and DOOM3 would be ok

    Yup. Both are highly scalable, as long as you can live without some of
    the eye candy settings.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    here's what I've finaly settled on:

    ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
    Motherboard
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    Drive
    768 MB PC3200 ram
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
    AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

    it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
    HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
    games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...
    is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?

    Thanks,
    Alex
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

    > here's what I've finaly settled on:
    >
    > ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
    > Motherboard
    > Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    > Drive
    > 768 MB PC3200 ram
    > AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
    > AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

    congratulations!
    and this should be made an example to all those scum consolists
    that come to this group saying a full pc costs more than $3000
    you assembled a GREAT configuration a little above $350 bucks
    that's awesome!
    i'll bookmark this post and show it every time a scum consolist
    comes to this group

    now what i think its insane is you going to play hl2 in it
    you assembled your pc trying to make it with the lowest price
    possible and you have accomplish that but you are now going
    to play in it the MOST EXPENSIVE PC GAME EVER RELEASED!
    it will ruin all your hard work!
    i'm sorry it doesn't make any sense at all
    you created one of the lowest price pc configuration to play
    the most expensive pc game in the market? that's a complete
    waste! so you save in hardware to give it to a single pc game!
    hl2 is very expensive not only cause it has a high price at
    start but specially cause it features lots of hidden costs
    now that you have a great pc play in it also great pc games
    don't spoil everything by INFECTING your great pc with steam!
    maintain your computer steam free!
    and there are so many pc game titles released worthy to be
    played and bought in your pc
    have you bought the big 2004 titles?
    now they have lower prices so it would be perfect for your pc
    .. farcry
    .. painkiller
    .. ut2004
    .. riddick
    .. doom3
    .. tribes vengeance
    .. bloodlines
    and then there are the great titles already released in 2005
    some of them with already low prices so perfect to buy
    .. the house of the dead iii
    .. star wars republic commando
    .. brothers in arms: road to hill 30
    .. gotcha
    .. project: snowblind
    .. swat 4
    .. doom 3: resurrection of evil
    .. close combat: first to fight
    .. psychotoxic
    .. delta force xtreme
    .. boiling point road to hell
    .. pariah
    .. area 51
    .. grand theft auto san andreas
    .. battlefield 2
    so as you see so many great titles to choose from
    don't buy hl2 and be forced to use steam and infect your new
    pc with it
    stay clean! stay away from steam! stay steam free!
    you choose to assemble a pc which means you are someone that
    like freedom and choice and steam is the complete opposite!
    with steam you don't have any freedom or choice!
    be consistent in software as you've been in hardware
    continue with the path of freedom and choice say no to steam!

    ps: you need os but you can find xp home oem enough although
    it doesn't cost what it should and microsoft is still ripping
    us off unfortunately... but its a bad in pc games we have to
    live with... sad but very difficult to run away from it

    pss: sorry i don't know why but my english today is coming out
    much worse than it used to

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
    expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP...I already have XP pro, so I
    figured I might as well do that. (I could use a sempron I guess, but
    that's like having a porsche, and putting a yugo engine in it...)
    the only harddrive I have now, is 9 gigs...(ouch) so I seriously need a
    new harddrive. what is there a socket A proscessor that would be better
    than this one? I know I can overclock this one to 3000+ speeds, with a
    good cooling system...
    my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
    well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.

    btw, I'm not really building this just to play hl2...I want to be able
    to play hl2, but I need it as an all around computer too. I just want
    to be able to play most new games that come out (for a while at
    least...)
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    In article <1118864969.977888.164160@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
    #here's what I've finaly settled on:

    #ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
    #Motherboard
    #AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor

    I was going to suggest Socket 939, but for $58 + $80 + shipping, you
    can't beat that price/performance.

    #Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    #Drive

    Frankly if you already have a 20GB or larger hard disk, you could
    tolerate longer load times and put the money towards more processor.
    Once you're loaded and in the game, the hard disk doesn't make any
    difference.

    #768 MB PC3200 ram

    OK I guess if you've already got the ram. You can go dual-channel if you
    get an even amount of DDR RAM (2x256MB or 2x512MB). You can always
    change this easily later.

    #AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

    Cool. It's a shame no one offers PCI-E motherboards for Socket 462. Then
    you could pay less for the 6600GT non-AGP, even if you paid more for the
    MB you'd be more future-proof. (haha like anyone is future-proof).

    #it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
    #HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
    #games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...

    A friend just completed HL2 for the second time on a 2400+/6600GT and
    reported it ran great with lots of video options set. You should be good
    to go.

    #is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?

    No, unless you go for a 10,000 RPM drive. Your load times will be
    slightly decreased, but I don't know if there's really much of a
    difference between waiting 52 seconds versus 60. Small reads and writes
    will be essentially the same, limited by the seek time and the platter
    RPM. On the other hand, if you have SATA, no point in buying PATA
    anymore.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 16 Jun 2005 08:31:32 -0700, imphasing@gmail.com wrote:

    >I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
    >expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP

    No, the 64bit chips run 32bit XP just fine.

    >my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
    >well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.

    It isn't worth skimping on the memory, get 1GB.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I'd say you've got a good rig there -- especially your video card. It
    would've been better if you had purchased one of the Mobile Athlons. That's
    what my brother and I have powering our rigs. They overclock like mad. I've
    got mine at 2592 and he's got his at 2350.
    You've got to have good cooling though (translation and expensive heatsink
    and fan).

    I had no problems running Half Life 2 but I've only got a 9800 Pro, your
    vid-card is probably better than that.

    --
    there is no .sig
    > here's what I've finaly settled on:
    >
    > ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
    > Motherboard
    > Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    > Drive
    > 768 MB PC3200 ram
    > AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
    > AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
    >
    > it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
    > HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
    > games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...
    > is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alex

  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    The "good cooling system" you would need would be a Thermalright SLK900u or
    SP97 with a Vantec Tornado 92mm fan. That would guarantee you the best
    overclock out of your Athlon (but you should still get a Mobile Athlon not a
    standard). The Mobile Athlons actually core improvements (chiefly in the TLB
    units) over the standard Athlons.

    --
    there is no .sig
    >I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
    > expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP...I already have XP pro, so I
    > figured I might as well do that. (I could use a sempron I guess, but
    > that's like having a porsche, and putting a yugo engine in it...)
    > the only harddrive I have now, is 9 gigs...(ouch) so I seriously need a
    > new harddrive. what is there a socket A proscessor that would be better
    > than this one? I know I can overclock this one to 3000+ speeds, with a
    > good cooling system...
    > my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
    > well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.
    >
    > btw, I'm not really building this just to play hl2...I want to be able
    > to play hl2, but I need it as an all around computer too. I just want
    > to be able to play most new games that come out (for a while at
    > least...)

  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    In article <1118935892.778566.64350@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
    #I would have liked to go socket 939, but the 64bit chips are a bit more
    #expensive, and I'd have to buy 64bit XP...

    ??? No you don't. I'm running XP just fine in my 939. Besides MS has a
    temporary free trade-up offer to XP64, which I'm not using, since I'm
    not experimenting with that particular PC.

    Nevertheless, if you can't swing it, you can't swing it.

    #I already have XP pro, so I
    #figured I might as well do that. (I could use a sempron I guess, but
    #that's like having a porsche, and putting a yugo engine in it...)
    #the only harddrive I have now, is 9 gigs...(ouch) so I seriously need a
    #new harddrive. what is there a socket A proscessor that would be better
    #than this one? I know I can overclock this one to 3000+ speeds, with a
    #good cooling system...

    You've picked a good processor. The Semprons ratings are all against
    Celerons, so you'll find a 2600+ XP faster than a Sempron 2600+.

    #my original plan for the ram was to buy a 512 and a 256, but I might as
    #well just shell out the extra $15 and get a gig of ram.

    Yes, please do.

    #btw, I'm not really building this just to play hl2...I want to be able
    #to play hl2, but I need it as an all around computer too. I just want
    #to be able to play most new games that come out (for a while at
    #least...)

    Sure, sure, right. :)

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    What are the before and after benchmarks for your Mobile Athlons? A friend
    of mine over overclocked his cpu and video card. He only got about a 3fps
    improvement in Call of Duty.

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I'd say you've got a good rig there -- especially your video card. It
    > would've been better if you had purchased one of the Mobile Athlons.
    > That's what my brother and I have powering our rigs. They overclock like
    > mad. I've got mine at 2592 and he's got his at 2350.
    > You've got to have good cooling though (translation and expensive heatsink
    > and fan).
    >
    > I had no problems running Half Life 2 but I've only got a 9800 Pro, your
    > vid-card is probably better than that.
    >
    > --
    > there is no .sig
    > <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> here's what I've finaly settled on:
    >>
    >> ABIT NF7-S2 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 ATX AMD
    >> Motherboard
    >> Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard
    >> Drive
    >> 768 MB PC3200 ram
    >> AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor
    >> AOpen 91.05210.66H Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
    >>
    >> it's considerably over my $350 limit, but I'd hate to detract from my
    >> HL2 experience...I hope to play doom III on it, and some other new
    >> games. from what I've heard, the 6600GT is the best midrange card...
    >> is a SATA hard drive much faster than a PATA?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Alex

  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I've heard people say they got a 600mhz increase on their mobile athlon
    2600. that's would make it about a 3500+ or something. (normaly it's at
    2.0ghz, and oc'd to 2.6ghz)
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I finaly ordered my new computer. :)

    I got:

    xfx 6600GT (on sale on newegg for $150! normaly something like $180)
    abit nf7-s2 mobo
    1 gig corsair ram
    80 gig SATA hd
    ATHLON XP mobile 2600+
    rosewell 450 watt PSU

    from what I know, a normal motherboard gives 1.85V to the proscessor,
    right? this mobile athlon runs at 1.45v, so it should overclock itself
    when I plug it in, correct? it's normaly 2.0ghz, and it should make it
    like 2.4ghz or some such...am I way off base about that?

    Alex
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I'm a bit worried about my SATA drive...can I just hook my SATA cables
    up to the drive, and install windows on to it? or is SATA designed to
    be like a secondary drive, and I have to have an IDE HD to install
    windoze to?

    ??

    Alex
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    oh, ok. thanks. I've seen that option before, but just ignored it
    because I had no idea what SATA was at the time...

    thanks
    Alex
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > I've heard people say they got a 600mhz increase on their mobile athlon
    > 2600. that's would make it about a 3500+ or something. (normaly it's at
    > 2.0ghz, and oc'd to 2.6ghz)

    Makes sense, my 1.8 (2400+) does 2.4. As do most...
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > I'm a bit worried about my SATA drive...can I just hook my SATA cables
    > up to the drive, and install windows on to it? or is SATA designed to
    > be like a secondary drive, and I have to have an IDE HD to install
    > windoze to?
    >
    > ??
    >
    > Alex

    Yes you can just hook up the cables and install windows *but*... when
    installing Windows (I'm presuming XP) you will see an option at the bottom
    of the screen for installing drivers for the SATA drive - watch carefully
    for it and press the necessary key (F6 IIRC) and follow the instructions
    otherwise your SATA wont work.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a bit worried about my SATA drive...can I just hook my SATA cables
    > up to the drive, and install windows on to it? or is SATA designed to
    > be like a secondary drive, and I have to have an IDE HD to install
    > windoze to?

    SATA is just a different type of connection to the traditional IDE flat
    ribbon. However, depending on which version of Windows you're using, you
    will probably have to have the SATA drivers handy on a floppy disk (you did
    remember to buy a floppy drive?) - at the very beginning of the XP install,
    it flashes a message saying something like "Hit F6 if you need to install
    mass-storage drivers", which is your cue to install the SATA drivers. After
    that, the Windows setup will recognise the drive and allow you to format
    and install.

  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I still havn't ordered my proc yet, cause I wanted to see if it was a
    mistake. I already got this motherboard, and it look like people say
    it's fine to overclock with if you're not trying to get a whole lot
    more mhz. I think I'll either get a 2600+, or a 2800+, and just raise
    the fsb a little...they're both at 166, so I can raise it to 180 maybe
    and get around 2.3ghz...I read the mobo manual, and you can only adjust
    the fsb, and the vcore. since I'm getting pc400 ram, oc'ing the fsb
    should'nt be a problem.

    If I have pc400 ram, and the proc is running with a 333mhz fsb, is the
    ram only running at pc333 speeds? is the ram speed the same as the fsb
    speed?
    If I simply boosted the fsb up to 200mhz (the max my mobo will take is
    400mhz fsb) then I would be maximizing the ram speed, right? that would
    make the 2800+ run at 2.5ghz I think....can anyone reccomend a good air
    cooler for running like that? maybe a volcano 12 or something?

    Thanks,
    Alex
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <1119378134.087567.257290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
    #I finaly ordered my new computer. :)

    Congrats!

    #xfx 6600GT (on sale on newegg for $150! normaly something like $180)

    Great deal. Great card. Bad fan. You'll need to replace the fan on that,
    after a few months. I did. Everyone else did to. There are two versions
    of the XFX fan, by the way. Both go bad.

    #abit nf7-s2 mobo
    #1 gig corsair ram
    #80 gig SATA hd
    #ATHLON XP mobile 2600+
    #rosewell 450 watt PSU

    #from what I know, a normal motherboard gives 1.85V to the proscessor,
    #right? this mobile athlon runs at 1.45v, so it should overclock itself
    #when I plug it in, correct?

    No, it should fry when you plug it in. Well, it may survive OK but
    you're already off to a strange start, with a MB and a CPU that it
    doesn't support, and no backup CPU to drop in, in case you need to
    set CMOS BIOS settings to get the strange CPU to work.

    Overclocking is done by upping FSB speed, bus and/or ram timings. Upping
    voltage is only done to increase stability after the previous items
    where upped.

    You might be able to adjust the voltage with a standard XP cpu, and then
    reboot with a Mobile, but if you lose CMOS settings it might go back to
    defaults and then kill your Mobile.

    Here is what your new MB supports without tweaks:

    http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/NF7-S2_Series/index.php

    here's some discussion. Apparently Abit really confused the issue
    by making several very different same-named motherboards. Seems the
    v2 version is very different.

    http://forums.tweaktown.com/archive/index.php/t-18148.html

    # it's normaly 2.0ghz, and it should make it
    #like 2.4ghz or some such...am I way off base about that?

    Yeah. Off base. Adjusting voltage does nothing for actual clock speed.

    You combination might work OK, but you're probably looking at some BIOS
    fiddling to get it to run at the right speed and voltage.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    In article <1119471921.630129.92730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote:
    #If I have pc400 ram, and the proc is running with a 333mhz fsb, is the
    #ram only running at pc333 speeds? is the ram speed the same as the fsb
    #speed?

    MOST (not all) modern MB's decouple FSB from RAM speed. Some people keep
    them in lock-step sync in order to get the benefits of running them at
    the same speed; others run async in order to run each as fast as
    possible.

    Which provides the better overclock depends on which motherboard you are
    talking about, also the RAM and CPU abilities too.

    Even if the RAM is not overclockable on your MB, there still should be a
    BIOS option to run it at DDR333 versus DDR400 speeds. Try both;
    sometimes the slower speed works better, probably because it matches the
    FSB speed better.

    Also, overclocking sometimes breaks Dual Channel, but may provide more
    performance anyway; or not; gotta test and find out.

    I use Sandra's memory throughput test to find out.

    #If I simply boosted the fsb up to 200mhz (the max my mobo will take is
    #400mhz fsb) then I would be maximizing the ram speed, right?

    Maybe but only if memory speed is the same.

    #that would
    #make the 2800+ run at 2.5ghz I think....can anyone reccomend a good air
    #cooler for running like that? maybe a volcano 12 or something?

    I've been more interested in "going quiet" lately, so I don't have a good
    recommendation.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I couldn't get 600 Mhz out of my mobile athlons. Maybe with excellent
    cooling you can but I couldn't. I can't raise the Vcore enough to get it
    stable at 2600+ because of overheating. The max overclock I can get out of
    my mobile athlons is 2562 @ 1.93V Vcore. Still-in-all that's a 500Mhz
    overclock from stock.

    --
    there is no .sig
    <imphasing@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've heard people say they got a 600mhz increase on their mobile athlon
    > 2600. that's would make it about a 3500+ or something. (normaly it's at
    > 2.0ghz, and oc'd to 2.6ghz)

PC gaming Computers Video Games Product