DAW recording click

Last response: in Home Audio
September 3, 2004 12:19:19 PM

hi,

i'm running cubase SX 2 on a HP P4 2.8Ghz w/512Mb RAM laptop running
XP pro. it's a dual boot machine and the OS is dedicated to audio
recording only, and i've made all tweaks as per musicxp.net
suggestions. soundcard: edirol ua-1000. all audio recording goes to an
external 7200rpm firewire hard drive.

The problem:

while i'm recording, the internal hard drive "activty" light flashes
every thirty seconds or so. when i go back to listen, there's a click
on the track seemingly where the internal hard drive activity was
while recording. i can zoom in on the audio wave and it looks like it
drops all audio during that moment. i know the problem has something
to do with the internal hard drive caching or virtural memory or
something along those lines i just have no idea how to fix it.

please help. thanks,

db

More about : daw recording click

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:13:25 PM

db:southcongress wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm running cubase SX 2 on a HP P4 2.8Ghz w/512Mb RAM laptop running
> XP pro. it's a dual boot machine and the OS is dedicated to audio
> recording only, and i've made all tweaks as per musicxp.net
> suggestions. soundcard: edirol ua-1000. all audio recording goes to an
> external 7200rpm firewire hard drive.

I would not want to record to an external drive, especially not from an
external sound card, but I don't know the tweaks you undertook, nor your
soundcard nor your software nor the temp file configuation options if
any of that software.

> The problem:
>
> while i'm recording, the internal hard drive "activty" light flashes
> every thirty seconds or so. when i go back to listen, there's a click
> on the track seemingly where the internal hard drive activity was
> while recording. i can zoom in on the audio wave and it looks like it
> drops all audio during that moment. i know the problem has something
> to do with the internal hard drive caching or virtural memory or
> something along those lines i just have no idea how to fix it.

> please help. thanks,

Tried. Checka the cubase related website for support options and FAQ.

> db

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

September 5, 2004 5:56:32 PM

On 3 Sep 2004 08:19:19 -0700, compass10@hotmail.com (db:southcongress)
wrote:

>i'm running cubase SX 2 on a HP P4 2.8Ghz w/512Mb RAM laptop running
>XP pro. it's a dual boot machine and the OS is dedicated to audio
>recording only, and i've made all tweaks as per musicxp.net
>suggestions. soundcard: edirol ua-1000. all audio recording goes to an
>external 7200rpm firewire hard drive.
>
>The problem:
>
>while i'm recording, the internal hard drive "activty" light flashes
>every thirty seconds or so. when i go back to listen, there's a click
>on the track seemingly where the internal hard drive activity was
>while recording. i can zoom in on the audio wave and it looks like it
>drops all audio during that moment. i know the problem has something
>to do with the internal hard drive caching or virtural memory or
>something along those lines i just have no idea how to fix it.

You're making simultaneous demands on both firewire and USB, and the
system can't cope. You have little control over resource allocation
as it's a laptop. This could be a tricky one.

Is there a latency (and hence record buffer size) setting for the
Edirol? What is it set to? Does increasing it help?

In Windows XP, what is your setting for Processor Scheduling?
Programs or Background services? Try the other one.

What happens if you record to the internal hard drive? It may be more
capable than you imagine. You probably have enough room on it for
work-space. Project folders can be transferred to the external drive
for storage.

September 5, 2004 5:59:42 PM

Also, confirm that your laptop DOES have USB2 ports. USB1.1 won't
cut it.

September 6, 2004 8:22:35 PM

The buffer is set to "Min" which gives me a latency of 7.5 ms in and 4.3
ms out. i've increased it one notch and it seemed to help.

processor scheduling is set to 'background services'.

i got the external drive because i was having trouble when recording to the
internal drive.

thanks for the suggestions.
db

> Is there a latency (and hence record buffer size) setting for the
> Edirol? What is it set to? Does increasing it help?
>
> In Windows XP, what is your setting for Processor Scheduling?
> Programs or Background services? Try the other one.
>
> What happens if you record to the internal hard drive? It may be more
> capable than you imagine. You probably have enough room on it for
> work-space. Project folders can be transferred to the external drive
> for storage.
>
> CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
> "Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 2:32:44 PM

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:22:35 GMT, "db:southcongress"
<compass10@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

> The buffer is set to "Min" which gives me a latency of 7.5 ms in and 4.3
>ms out. i've increased it one notch and it seemed to help.

So increase it two notches. Does the problem go away?

>processor scheduling is set to 'background services'.
>
>i got the external drive because i was having trouble when recording to the
>internal drive.

The same problem? With the same low latency setting?

In Device Manager, look at Properties/Policies for your external hard
drive. Optimised for Performance?

Also, you might try turning off Lower Latency in Device Setup/VST
Multitrack/Expert.

Going back to your OP. If the disk light only flashes every 30
seconds you are writing data in BIG chunks. I wonder why?

September 8, 2004 4:12:51 AM

You can only write a sector at a time. It is buffered in the file buffer
till then.

Bob

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:22:35 GMT, "db:southcongress"
> <compass10@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The buffer is set to "Min" which gives me a latency of 7.5 ms in and
4.3
> >ms out. i've increased it one notch and it seemed to help.
>
> So increase it two notches. Does the problem go away?
>

> >processor scheduling is set to 'background services'.
> >
> >i got the external drive because i was having trouble when recording to
the
> >internal drive.
>
> The same problem? With the same low latency setting?
>
> In Device Manager, look at Properties/Policies for your external hard
> drive. Optimised for Performance?
>
> Also, you might try turning off Lower Latency in Device Setup/VST
> Multitrack/Expert.
>

> Going back to your OP. If the disk light only flashes every 30
> seconds you are writing data in BIG chunks. I wonder why?
>
> CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
> "Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
September 8, 2004 4:57:42 AM

i've just noticed something i should have checked a LONG time ago...the hard
drive light flashes when the computer is idle, with no applications running.
i now think it's a windows thing and not related to the soundcard or cubase.
ugh. i'll keep plugging away until i find something.

"sycochkn" <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> You can only write a sector at a time. It is buffered in the file buffer
> till then.
>
> Bob
>
> "Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:22:35 GMT, "db:southcongress"
> > <compass10@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The buffer is set to "Min" which gives me a latency of 7.5 ms in and
> 4.3
> > >ms out. i've increased it one notch and it seemed to help.
> >
> > So increase it two notches. Does the problem go away?
> >

> > >processor scheduling is set to 'background services'.
> > >
> > >i got the external drive because i was having trouble when recording to
> the
> > >internal drive.
> >
> > The same problem? With the same low latency setting?
> >
> > In Device Manager, look at Properties/Policies for your external hard
> > drive. Optimised for Performance?
> >
> > Also, you might try turning off Lower Latency in Device Setup/VST
> > Multitrack/Expert.
> >

> > Going back to your OP. If the disk light only flashes every 30
> > seconds you are writing data in BIG chunks. I wonder why?
> >
> > CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
> > "Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 1:30:39 PM

In article <aOs%c.1526$sS4.1289@trndny03> compass10@nospamhotmail.com writes:

> i've just noticed something i should have checked a LONG time ago...the hard
> drive light flashes when the computer is idle, with no applications running.

Windows always has stuff running. You can turn some of it off (in fact
most, if you're using an off-the-shelf installation) but you can't
turn everything off. Check one (or many) of the web sites that explain
how to optimize your Windows PC for audio applications.

September 8, 2004 3:12:35 PM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:57:42 GMT, "db" <compass10@nospamhotmail.com>
wrote:

>i've just noticed something i should have checked a LONG time ago...the hard
>drive light flashes when the computer is idle, with no applications running.
>i now think it's a windows thing and not related to the soundcard or cubase.
>ugh. i'll keep plugging away until i find something.

That's naughty. But if your glitches coincide with your audio data
blocks being written to disk, not with these background accesses....

What file system? If NTFS, is Indexing turned off?
What processes are shown (with no programs running) when you press
CTRL-ALT-DEL?