Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Connect printer directly to MN500?

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Notebooks
  • Printers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 6:07:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Hello,

I recently bought a Microsoft MN-500 to use as a wireless network, as
well as for multiple internet accessing through our DSL line. I'm very
happy with it.

My wife and I both have notebooks. I have the print sharing set up
with my wife's notebook connected to the printer. It's working well,
but I really wish that we could print without having to make that
connection.

Is there a (fairly inexpensive) way to connect the printer to the
MN-500? It is close by, and the connection wouldn't have to be
wireless - assuming that the connections on the back of the. I should
mention that it's a parallel port printer. I have seen some print
server boxes for sale, and I'm assuming that this might work, but I
thought I should ask for some suggestions specific to the networking
hardware that I'm using.

While I'm at it, I'll ask can the same thing be done with a Western
Digital External HD that we currently have hooked up to her notebook
through a USB port?

I guess what I am trying to do, is provide her with true "notebook
independence." Did you notice how it's not _my_ notebook that is tied
down to the desk? <g>

Thanks.

Jeff Miller
Akron, OH

More about : connect printer directly mn500

May 1, 2004 10:23:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

you need a print server for parallel port, with an ethernet connection (to
plug into the back of the MN500). This can be a separate stand-alone
gadget, or you can (cheaply) get an old computer with a a parallel port for
printer, and a network card to plug into the back of the MN500.
May 3, 2004 6:45:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

The USB HDD can not be connected to the network other then as a share
from a computer on the network. This is a limitation of the USB
standard, as it requires a computer. For a network HDD you need to
either get a dedicated device or use a computer.

Jeff Miller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a Microsoft MN-500 to use as a wireless network, as
> well as for multiple internet accessing through our DSL line. I'm very
> happy with it.
>
> My wife and I both have notebooks. I have the print sharing set up
> with my wife's notebook connected to the printer. It's working well,
> but I really wish that we could print without having to make that
> connection.
>
> Is there a (fairly inexpensive) way to connect the printer to the
> MN-500? It is close by, and the connection wouldn't have to be
> wireless - assuming that the connections on the back of the. I should
> mention that it's a parallel port printer. I have seen some print
> server boxes for sale, and I'm assuming that this might work, but I
> thought I should ask for some suggestions specific to the networking
> hardware that I'm using.
>
> While I'm at it, I'll ask can the same thing be done with a Western
> Digital External HD that we currently have hooked up to her notebook
> through a USB port?
>
> I guess what I am trying to do, is provide her with true "notebook
> independence." Did you notice how it's not _my_ notebook that is tied
> down to the desk? <g>
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff Miller
> Akron, OH
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 12:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the clarification. I've got an old PC lying around, but I'm
inclined to go with the print server, as I'm trying to simplify and get rid
of "stuff."

Thanks.


> you need a print server for parallel port, with an ethernet connection (to
> plug into the back of the MN500). This can be a separate stand-alone
> gadget, or you can (cheaply) get an old computer with a a parallel port for
> printer, and a network card to plug into the back of the MN500.
>


--
Jeff Miller
Akron, OH
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 12:33:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Thanks for the info on the USB HDD. I'm probably OK only having access to
it when the notebook is in it's normal resting place close by, as we use it
primarily for a 3:00am scheduled backup. It's the printer setup that really
requires mobility. We'd like to be able to use the notebooks anywhere in
the house, yet still print, so I'll likely pick up a parallel print server
device.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Miller
Akron, OH


> The USB HDD can not be connected to the network other then as a share
> from a computer on the network. This is a limitation of the USB
> standard, as it requires a computer. For a network HDD you need to
> either get a dedicated device or use a computer.
>
> Jeff Miller wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently bought a Microsoft MN-500 to use as a wireless network, as
> > well as for multiple internet accessing through our DSL line. I'm very
> > happy with it.
> >
> > My wife and I both have notebooks. I have the print sharing set up
> > with my wife's notebook connected to the printer. It's working well,
> > but I really wish that we could print without having to make that
> > connection.
> >
> > Is there a (fairly inexpensive) way to connect the printer to the
> > MN-500? It is close by, and the connection wouldn't have to be
> > wireless - assuming that the connections on the back of the. I should
> > mention that it's a parallel port printer. I have seen some print
> > server boxes for sale, and I'm assuming that this might work, but I
> > thought I should ask for some suggestions specific to the networking
> > hardware that I'm using.
> >
> > While I'm at it, I'll ask can the same thing be done with a Western
> > Digital External HD that we currently have hooked up to her notebook
> > through a USB port?
> >
> > I guess what I am trying to do, is provide her with true "notebook
> > independence." Did you notice how it's not _my_ notebook that is tied
> > down to the desk? <g>
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jeff Miller
> > Akron, OH
> >
>