Sign in with
Your question

Using RAID as regular IDE problem.

Last response: in Storage
August 23, 2002 6:33:32 AM

I have an ASUS A7V333 with RAID motherboard. I have a primary (40 GB Western Digital 7200RPM HDD), and two second HDD (one is a 60 GB Western Digital 7200RPM HDD and the other is a 20 GB Western Digital 5400RPM) that I want to put on my two RAID connections. How do I make it so that I can see the HDDs, but not in a RAID configuration? I stuck them on, but nothing works! I'm using Windows 2000 Professional as an operating system. Any suggestions?

--MoTF-Wasp
August 23, 2002 7:21:34 AM

Check your manual theres probably a jumper you'll have to set on the motherboard, and special drivers you'll have to load in the operating system, and you'll have to activate the feature in the CMOS setup.
August 23, 2002 1:05:01 PM

Adjust settings in the RAID setup program accordingly upon booting the system. Check your motherboard manual for instructions.

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>
Related resources
August 23, 2002 6:25:48 PM

I know you can disable the RAID on my Abit TH7II-RAID board, and I'm sure Asus can do the same. Might wanna check the bios as well, there's probably an off switch or something =)

Cooj

I am ignorant no more!
August 24, 2002 12:15:00 AM

Crap.

Whether it's raided or unraided, those drives should be showing up. Just because you turn 'on' the raid functionality, doesn't mean it only shows arrays. It should be showing individual drives as well.

I bet you have a drive jumper problem. WD's are finicky. Instead of cable select, try the "two device-master" setting or the "single device-master" setting. Which ever is a possiblity on how you have them hooked up.

C@lling it like I c it...
August 24, 2002 3:59:23 PM

Ryan, I have it set on the motherboard to NOT enable RAID. The read the manual on this, and they don't talk about it not enabling the controller, but maybe it does that. The info. in the manual from ASUS is sketchy at best, and they don't talk about any type of set up using RAID cables not in a RAID configuration. Also, in the BIOS, there are no options whatsoever pertaining to RAID anything. =/ I guess I can mess with the HDD jumpers. I have one set on cable select (the 20GB) and the other on single master (60GB), but I can't see ethier of them.

--MoTF-Wasp
August 25, 2002 2:48:52 AM

Do the BIOS find the drives? If it does, and the drives just dont show up in windows try entering the disk management in W2K. You should see the drives here. I have experienced this behaviour before if a drive previously has been formatted with something unknown to Windows or isnt partioned at all.
August 26, 2002 4:29:09 PM

I don't think my BIOS would be able to see it...it only has Primary Master, Primary Slave, and Secondary Master, Secondary Slave. Those relate to the EIDE stuff. I DLed the newest BIOS drivers too, because I needed them to run the XP2200+.

--MoTF-Wasp
August 27, 2002 3:50:39 AM

If I remember correctly, Asus A7V333 has a jumper to set either RAID or ATA133 only.
Quote:
I don't think my BIOS would be able to see it...it only has Primary Master, Primary Slave, and Secondary Master, Secondary Slave. Those relate to the EIDE stuff.

You can only see them when Promise controller scans a usually after POST (but you need to set the option <font color=red>Promise controller </font color=red><font color=blue><b>BIOS</b></font color=blue> to <b><i>AUTO</b></i>). You can also get in its BIOS by pressing certain keys (it'd show which ones).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
August 27, 2002 4:18:31 AM

yes... turn ON the raid option, either via a mobo jumper or in the bios.
make sure the drive is jumpered as master with slave or master only, then bootup. the controller should detect the drive as a single IDE drive.

<b>Due to Customer Complaints, this sig has been witdrawn from public use. Thankyou. :lol:  </b>
!