NOLF and XP SP2 problems?

I Haven't played No One Lives Forever in, well, forever and thought
I'd whip it out and play again but I'm running into problems. I've
played it on my current machine before with no problems, but now not
only does it take forever to install, but has all sorts of other
problems. The only change to my rig is the installation of SP2 (I'm
using XP pro) and I've heard of problems with many other games and
SP2, so I thought this must be the culprit.
is there any workaround that anyone knows? levels can take up to 15
minutes to load (no joke) and it won't even get to the load screen on
my other machine (laptop w/ Xp pro and SP2 also).

I wanted to play this one and then move on to NOLF 2 but I'm getting
worried about lithtech games now...

Big McLargehuge wrote:
> I Haven't played No One
> Lives Forever in, well,
> forever and thought
> I'd whip it out and play
> again but I'm running into > problems. I've played it on
> my current machine
> before with no problems,
> but now not only does it
> take forever to install, but
> has all sorts of other
> problems. The only
> change to my rig is the
> installation of SP2 (I'm
> using XP pro) and I've
> heard of problems with
> many other games and
> SP2, so I thought this
> must be the culprit.
> is there any workaround
> that anyone knows? levels
> can take up to 15
> minutes to load (no joke) > and it won't even get to
> the load screen on
> my other machine (laptop > w/ Xp pro and SP2 also).

I was able to install No One Life Forever - Game of the Year Edition
fine just a few minutes ago and the load times were exceptional (under
10 seconds for most levels) on my system without messing with any of
the compatibility modes - Windows XP w/ SP2.

It could be that the GotY edition is updated so you might check to see
that your version of NOLF1 is patched to the latest version. Also,
make sure the hard-drive is defragged if you haven't done so recently.
SP2 doesn't seem to be the culprit.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

Big McLargehuge wrote:

> is there any workaround that anyone knows? levels can take up to 15
> minutes to load (no joke) and it won't even get to the load screen on
> my other machine (laptop w/ Xp pro and SP2 also).
>
> I wanted to play this one and then move on to NOLF 2 but I'm getting
> worried about lithtech games now...

I'm really enjoying NOLF2 at the moment (just discovered it) and noticed
that one of the optional performance settings is to pre-cache all assets
when loading a level. It takes a bit more time to load (like 3-5
minutes, not 15 minutes) but then the performance is *much* smoother.
Maybe there is an option to turn this off in NOLF1 as well?

FWIW.

- Sheldon, XP-SP2 Gamer