Sign in with
Your question

Cable modem/router WAN port link speed

Last response: in Networking
September 15, 2012 7:19:58 PM

I replaced my router, which was a Linksys EA4500 with a Netgear R6300 because I was having issues. My cable modem is an Arris CM820 Docsis 3 modem. The modem WAN port is registering a link speed of 100M instead of 1000M. What could be causing this? Could their be an issue with the modem or the new router? I have tried different CAT5E cables with no success.

I have plugged my PC ethernet cable into the WAN port on the router and it registers at 1000M. On the cable modem, when I connect my PC to it directly it still links at 100M instead of 1000M and my PC has a gige port.

Do you have any ideas or advice on resolving this because I have a feeling that the low link speed is going to impact the speed of my Internet from my ISP.
September 15, 2012 8:35:15 PM

As long as the link speed is faster than your service speed it won't cause a problem. However, you might want to check into an RMA on the modem as it may have a bad port.
September 15, 2012 8:50:43 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
As long as the link speed is faster than your service speed it won't cause a problem. However, you might want to check into an RMA on the modem as it may have a bad port.

I am on the max 107 tier with my provider, and I intend to swap the modem out on Monday and hope this resolves the issue.
!